Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pattern in mass murders?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Pattern in mass murders? Empty
PostSubject: Pattern in mass murders?   Pattern in mass murders? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 9:13 pm

A lot of mass murders I have read about seem to share common personalities, and seem to have gone through similar things. I don't think bullying is the main reason school shootings happen, although I think it does contribute. People who commit mass murder are often withdrawn, loners, and are depressed. In my opinion mass murder happens because the murder feels as if they are not accepted. They feel as if they are an alien, that is surrounded by people who are all the same. Imagine this, you are a socially awkward teenager who is depressed, you have been bullied at school, you have been sexually abused as a child, your farther wants nothing to do with you,ext. How would you feel? you would be traumatized. My point is these build up of traumatizing events (caused by people) have a huge impact on you, you begin to think "well people have treated me like shit my whole life therefor I should get revenge". Mass murders are made, they are not born in the world like this, they are made like this by people.
Back to top Go down
Mj2beat

Contribution Points : 94329
Forum Reputation : 24

PostSubject: Re: Pattern in mass murders?   Pattern in mass murders? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 9:31 pm

Of course and this is not only in a mass murderer situation, in.serial killers too. No one will kill other person because one day decided to do it for nothing . There exist something else behind: trauma, rejection, bullying. All those circumstances affected the people and in some of them, a psychological problem start after that, that eventually take to to commit murder because not all the rejected or abused people commit murder, so a mental problem is another fact and something that contribute too.

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pattern in mass murders?   Pattern in mass murders? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 5:31 am

Only a small sample of Mass Shooters is traumatized. I think the most common illness of Mass Shooters is Schizophrenia, or a similar psychotic disorder. In case of the second most common, I'd tip of Personality Disorders.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pattern in mass murders?   Pattern in mass murders? Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 7:37 pm

What I think is that there isnt just one motivator/trigger its likely born mental illness combined with traumatising experiences like bullying which causes a person to snap. I'm not saying that a person is born to do such an act of violence but some people do indeed have a greater chance then "normal" people.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 121538
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: Pattern in mass murders?   Pattern in mass murders? Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2014 11:30 pm

Great post

And, yes, there are patterns/similarities amongst shooters, however, they should be looked at individually as well.

Common trends amongst mass shooters are: 1) Anger: anger can be from an event or directed to the future shooting, 2) Rejection of some sort: whether that rejection came from "someone" or "something", there is a sense of ostracization, of being left out, 3) A Sense of Injustice: most shooters feel they have been "wronged" in some way - this factor has A LOT to do with which target the shooter selects, 4) Revenge/Retaliation - there comes a point where there is a "striking back" at THE chosen target, 5) Notoriety - to be remembered FOREVER: although mass shootings are horrific, one of the main reasons they happen, I believe, is because the shooter wants those that live to "never forget" what has been done.  

Of course, there are more factors common among mass shooters but those are some.

Interestingly, serial killers have different factors compared to the mass killer/shooter
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pattern in mass murders?   Pattern in mass murders? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2015 5:16 am

I do believe there exists a pattern. Of some sort. That's all I can contribute to this thread.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pattern in mass murders?   Pattern in mass murders? Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 5:21 am

There is no real pattern.
Back to top Go down
Sabratha

Sabratha

Contribution Points : 96835
Forum Reputation : 440

PostSubject: Re: Pattern in mass murders?   Pattern in mass murders? Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 6:21 am

SatanicKenno wrote:
People who commit mass murder are often withdrawn, loners, and are depressed. In my opinion mass murder happens because the murder feels as if they are not accepted. They feel as if they are an alien, that is surrounded by people who are all the same.

I'd argue that "not being accepted"or "feeling alien"is a bit too specific. Its true for some (Cho, Red Lake shooter, probably also Lanza), but not for all (Breivik, Kazimierczak, Erfurt shooter).

I'd say what is true for all is that they are in generl unhappy and dissatisfied with their lives or the world around them. The dissatisfaction can be turned inward, or outward. But its there. Happy jolly people don't go on spree killings.

SatanicKenno wrote:
Imagine this, you are a socially awkward teenager who is depressed, you have been bullied at school, you have been sexually abused as a child, your farther wants nothing to do with you,ext. How would you feel? you would be traumatized. My point is these build up of traumatizing events (caused by people) have a huge impact on you, you begin to think "well people have treated me like shit my whole life therefor I should get revenge". Mass murders are made, they are not born in the world like this, they are made like this by people.

I think pointing to traumatization is going too far. Most spree killers were not traumatized in the sense you mentioned (sexual abuse, bullyin etc). Breivik, Auvinen, Kazimierczak are all good examples of clearly non-traumatized killers. I'd argue that neither Eric nor Dylan were traumatized.
Lanza and the Red Lake shooter? Different story.

So yeha, I think the common theme is dissatisfaction. Root causes of this however can be vastly different and I wwould disagree with you. In many times the dissatisfaction seems to come from inherent personality traits or mental disorders of the shooters. Sometimes it is vividly nature, much less nurture. I'm certain that Cho or Lanza would be still around if it weren't for their mental disorders which were clearly central elements in their own massacres.

I also think you ar emissing another clear pattern: Spree killers are mostly very interested in previous spree killers. So, I would sadly not be entirely surprised if a future killer is amongs us, browsing this forum at this very moment.

"Bullet Time" - a school shooting film from Poland
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pattern in mass murders?   Pattern in mass murders? Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2015 5:36 pm

Mass murders have been happening since people found a way to kill more than one person without getting killed.

For example, an ancient Kievian countess Olga in 946 AD had avenged her husband Igor's death by setting a flock of wild birds with lit fuses attached to their legs at the town responsible for murder, causing mass fires everywhere and burning alive probably a few hundred people.

It's just that today we have automatic weapons, and individuals have means to kill many. The motives are as numerous as people are, attempting to patternize them is just simplifying the issue.
Back to top Go down
browneyes11

browneyes11

Contribution Points : 83894
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Pattern in mass murders?   Pattern in mass murders? Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2015 11:18 pm

Sabratha wrote:

I also think you ar emissing another clear pattern: Spree killers are mostly very interested in previous spree killers. So, I would sadly not be entirely surprised if a future killer is amongs us, browsing this forum at this very moment.

Yikes...that's quiet a terrifying thought

To experience life after death, in solitude, in compassion, in love.-
Back to top Go down
boringguy

boringguy

Contribution Points : 81935
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Pattern in mass murders?   Pattern in mass murders? Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2015 12:09 am

It seems like you are only talking about mass shooters. There are other types of mass murderers, such as bombers, who sometimes have different motives.

Last edited by boringguy on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pattern in mass murders?   Pattern in mass murders? Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2015 6:49 am

boringguy wrote:
It seems like you are only talking about mass shooters. There are other types of mass murderers, such as bombers, with entirely different motives and patterns.

Sometimes terrorists do have similar motives to mass shooters or serial killers, especially the suicide bombers, who gain nothing and lose everything for just getting to be a very important person in history, if only for a brief moment.

I think what confuses people is the different methods used for killing, making it seem as if these are different crimes.

If there is a common thing between all these atrocities, I'd say it is EXTREME DISREGARD FOR HUMAN LIFE.

Humans mean nothing to a mass murderer, they are less significant than whatever mission he has, be it personal gratification, religious superstition, money, political ideology or something else.

What causes this shift in priorities is another question.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pattern in mass murders?   Pattern in mass murders? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pattern in mass murders?
Page 1 of 1