Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Thirty years since National Assembly shooting -CAN

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JayJay

PostSubject: Thirty years since National Assembly shooting -CAN   Thu May 08, 2014 3:34 pm

On May 8th 1984, Denis Lortie entered the National Assembly (parliament) in Québec City (Canada). He was a military suffering from paranoid schzophrenia. He killed 3 people and injured 13 others. His aim was to kill Québec Premier René Lévesque (failed). Lortie came in early in the morning when there were few people, if he had come in at 2PM, there would have been over a 100 politicians present.

He was later convicted of 2nd degree murder (after a 1st degree murder conviction). He's been released since 1995 and now owns a corner store.

The most extraordinary thing about this shooting is that it was brought to a stop by René Jalbert, ex-military, sergeant-at-arms and director of security, who just speaks calmly with Lortie as the latter shoots randomly. Talk about building trust! At some point, Jalbert is even smoking a cigarette and offers a smoke to Lortie. His intervention has been recorded and it's surreal to watch as he's very close to Lortie, discussing. Later on, he shakes hands with him, grabs his jacket and invites Lortie to stop the shooting and come out.

The video embedded in this article shows Jalbert's intervention. Note that the translation in English is the audio you hear, not the original audio:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You can see the video with original audio, English subtitles and some commentary here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do? My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape."
- American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis (1991)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Thirty years since National Assembly shooting -CAN
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1