Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Z_Splatter

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Thu May 29, 2014 5:55 pm

I don't think he was homosexual. I've read through most of the manifesto and he never once mentions attraction to any man. He also seems to have a very specific type of girl that he wanted. He always mentions hot blondes. Maybe a not as hot brunette could have liked him but he never gave them a chance. This guy was very self absorbed and I believe that is what led him to not having many friends. He made some bad choices in life and blames everyone else. I don't have much sympathy for him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chachernov

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Thu May 29, 2014 7:02 pm

Like I've said he might be bisexual, ofcourse I could be wrong but I think he was bi and emberassed of it thats why he didnt mentioned it in his manifesto.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:55 am

@chachernov wrote:
Like I've said he might be bisexual, ofcourse I could be wrong but I think he was bi and emberassed of it thats why he didnt mentioned it in his manifesto.

What makes you think that? I don't see any indication for that at all.
Back to top Go down
chachernov

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:15 am

Hale-Bopp wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

If you watch carefully how he talks, acts and even how he dresses you can clearly see lots of signs (none of these things alone but combined).
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:30 am

@chachernov wrote:
Hale-Bopp wrote:
@chachernov wrote:

If you watch carefully how he talks, acts and even how he dresses you can clearly see lots of signs (none of these things alone but combined).
Sexual orientation isn't determined by the way you talk/act/dress. E.g. not all homosexuals are sassy, effeminate and obsessed with fashion. Sometimes it's as hard to see as mental illness, when they don't tell you.
Back to top Go down
chachernov

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:22 am

Lananas wrote:
Hale-Bopp wrote:

Sexual orientation isn't determined by the way you talk/act/dress. E.g. not all homosexuals are sassy, effeminate and obsessed with fashion. Sometimes it's as hard to see as mental illness, when they don't tell you.

If you know where to pay attention to you can see/notice their sexuality. I'm btw not the only one who thinks this, you can find plenty of articles and youtube videos on this subject.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:09 am

@chachernov wrote:
Hale-Bopp wrote:
@chachernov wrote:

I think the way how he talks, acts is sometimes very awkward (like in the "Why girls hate me?" video), but not homosexual at all. From personal experience, I would say that a lot of male homosexuals (my mother works in a theatre and a high amount of actors there are homosexual) have a certain way of how they are behave in social situations (very expressive, kind of binged up and also somewhat feminine). But as I already mentioned, most homosexual people I met were actors and I would bet, that this kind of behaviour is more common among homosexual actors than homosexual people, who are not actors.
At the other hand, I also know a few male homosexuals who are not actors and they show the same kind of behaviour- but they do it rarely and only under certain circumstances (like when they are drunken). So I wouldn't be surprised if a great majority of male homosexuals behave like this in social interaction.

However, the way Elliot behaves and talks is in no way similar to the behaviour of these homosexuals. He is not expressive at all, he is quite the opposite: affect and voice are flat and monotonous. He also does not appear binged up or feminine to me.
I did notice, that his behaviour appears odd, but I think the reasons for that are more likely his Asperger and possibly a great deal of narcissism.

Last edited by Hale-Bopp on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
chachernov

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:12 am

Hale-Bopp wrote:
Hale-Bopp wrote:

I think the way how he talks, acts is sometimes very awkward (like in the "Why girls hate me?" video), but not homosexual at all. From personal experience, I would say that a lot of male homosexuals (my mother works in a theatre and a high amount of actors there are homosexual) have a certain way how they are behave in social situations (very expressive, kind of binged up and also somewhat feminine). But as I already mentioned, most homosexual people I met were actors and I would bet, that this kind of behaviour is more common among homosexual actors than homosexual people, who are not actors.
At the other hand, I also a few male homosexuals who are not actors and they show the same kind of behaviour- but they do it rarely and only under certain circumstances (like when they are drunken). So I wouldn't be surprised if a great majority of male homosexuals behave like this in social interaction.

However, the way Elliot behaves and talks is in no way similar to the behaviour of these homosexuals. He is not expressive at all, he is quite the opposite: affect and voice and flat and monotonous. He also does not appear binged up or feminine to me.
I did notice, that his behaviour appears odd, but I think the reasons for that are more likely his Asperger and possibly a great deal of narcissism.

You bring up very interesting points, maybe you're right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PaintItBlack
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:54 pm

Lananas wrote:
...So 7 people, including this "Supreme Gentleman" had to die, because he couldn't get it through his thick head that girls aren't obligated to have sex with him? Why the hell is anyone supporting this guy? I'm pretty sure if he didn't do the shooting, everyone would just laugh at him for being another whiny white boy who cries about the friendzone and how he's a "nice guy".
"If I can’t have you girls, I will destroy you. [laughs]"
Yep, what a nice guy over here. Apparently, it's a crime for girls to say no to people they aren't interested in. Men can sleep peacefully at night, even when saying no, and women get stabbed or shot.
I bet he wouldn't have been a possessive, abusive boyfriend even if someone came to love him. Nope, not at all! He couldn't even wait a few more years for some girl to come along, so instead, he gunned down a few people and then committed suicide.
Plus, his manifesto sounds so poorly written. You can clearly see he was trying to sound evil but he failed at that too. I have no idea why he's being compared to E&D. Even Eric & Dylan were a bit more honest than that. Better writers, higher intelligence. The only thing they all had in common was being downright sexist.
In short, I hope rigor mortis gets him right in the dick. (As well as other parts of his body while he rots.)

Is this really necessary to say? This guy is dead so if you wanted him dead, you got what you wanted. I guess I wonder why that can't be enough? And we all know what happens to a deceased body unless it is cremated. It starts to decay so if he was buried, then rigor mortis will get him along with everyone else who has died again unless they were cremated. I also feel sorry for this guy. What he did was awful and wrong and tragic. But I can only imagine what a dark mental place he was in to go through with something like this. I think that like Cho, he probably totally lost it mentally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:50 am

Back to top Go down
Z_Splatter

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:54 am

Hale-Bopp wrote:
Peter Langmans opinion about Elliot Rodger: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Very interesting. I agree with what he had to say. Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:16 pm

I'm in the midst of reading Rodger's manifesto. It's crazy how vividly he remembers his entire life. I can hardly remember what I did two days ago. What I wrote initially was quite harsh, as it was in a flash of anger. I'll use that as a reminder to look deeper into things before making any statements.

As I go deeper into the manifesto, I find that there wasn't only something wrong with Rodger, but the society we're living in.

We teach girls that they're only good for certain jobs, pregnancy, and sex. People say they're the weaker gender, and that they're too emotional to be in power. However, there are awful messages sent out to boys as well.

They can't cry, they have to be manly, and if they're a virgin after 18 they're losers. If you're in sports it has to be a "masculine" one like football or basketball. At age 10, kids in Rodger's camp cabin already started swooning over scantily clad girls in magazines. If that's not a sign that society is teaching young boys that they have to be promiscuous and like girls to stay the "alpha male" they should be, then I don't know what is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:46 pm

Lananas wrote:
I'm in the midst of reading Rodger's manifesto. It's crazy how vividly he remembers his entire life. I can hardly remember what I did two days ago. What I wrote initially was quite harsh, as it was in a flash of anger. I'll use that as a reminder to look deeper into things before making any statements.

As I go deeper into the manifesto, I find that there wasn't only something wrong with Rodger, but the society we're living in.

We teach girls that they're only good for certain jobs, pregnancy, and sex. People say they're the weaker gender, and that they're too emotional to be in power. However, there are awful messages sent out to boys as well.

They can't cry, they have to be manly, and if they're a virgin after 18 they're losers. If you're in sports it has to be a "masculine" one like football or basketball. At age 10, kids in Rodger's camp cabin already started swooning over scantily clad girls in magazines. If that's not a sign that society is teaching young boys that they have to be promiscuous and like girls to stay the "alpha male" they should be, then I don't know what is.

Hmm, I don't agree about the part with girls. I don't know how it is in America, but feminism is quite mainstream in Germany, to the point that it is a taboo to speak against it. In school they are definitive not encouraged to engage in traditional roles.
Also, judging from the media (TV shows, movies etc.) I know from the USA, it does appear to me that american media have a similar positive attitude towards feminism. Can you mention me an example for an American TV show or an American movie who is portraying women in a way contrary to feminism? I can't.
I believe it would make no sense for society to teach women to adopt roles contrary to feminism, since feminism in necessary for modern society (employers need females as workers, Universities need females as students etc.) Rather I think it makes sense for society to teach women to believe that the way they are raised is contrary to feminism, since that will encourage them to support feminism and adopt this attitude in their private life.
I will write more about the man-issue later.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:03 pm

Hale-Bopp wrote:
Lananas wrote:

Hmm, I don't agree about the part with girls. I don't know how it is in America, but feminism is quite mainstream in Germany, to the point that it is a taboo to speak against it. In school they are definitive not encouraged to engage in traditional roles.
Also, judging from the media (TV shows, movies etc.) I know from the USA, it does appear to me that american media have a similar positive attitude towards feminism. Can you mention me an example for an American TV show or an American movie who is portraying women in a way contrary to feminism? I can't.
I believe it would make no sense for society to teach women to adopt roles contrary to feminism, since feminism in necessary for modern society (employers need females as workers, Universities need females as students etc.) Rather I think it makes sense for society to teach women to believe that the way they are raised is contrary to feminism, since that will encourage them to support feminism and adopt this attitude in their private life.
Ah, I apologize. I meant that girls were being taught that for a very long time. Though it's getting better now, there are still people who think of women in that negative way. At least that's the case here.
Back to top Go down
Mj2beat

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:24 pm

Lananas wrote:
Hale-Bopp wrote:
Lananas wrote:

Ah, I apologize. I meant that girls were being taught that for a very long time. Though it's getting better now, there are still people who think of women in that negative way. At least that's the case here.

Although girls are now taught to be as powerful as men and have more opportunities, many people still expect that they get married and get pregnant and many others still see them as human beings only good for sex or for cook, television also portray the women as an sexual object sometimes and many of the things Ive seen about it on tv, are from The United States and all over the world. Rodger is a victim of this society full of contradictions and cliche, like many other people and is very sad, because the system and society teach us to live like everybody and do what everybody do, the system wants to control us and the society participate in that. Thats why I dont understand the people that condemn other kind of people like Elliot Rodger when they are responsible of that and must wonder what they are doing wrong as a community that now are young men killing and planning massacres and I dont understand why everyone talk about feminism or how the women is suppose to have the same chances that men and should take advantage of that and later they are supporting stuff where the women is portray as a princess or something very superficial and sexual.

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:57 am

Sometimes, the traditional idea's about gender roles, still appear in society, yes. But I think this is not because they are taught by society, but because they are remnants of the past. A cultural tradition, that was active over a span of thousands of years, does not disappear in a few decades, though it can get damaged.

In case of the traditional role of men, I think that the media is more likely to portray it a positive light, simply because this role is not as inconsistent with the needs of modern civilization as the traditional role of women is. Like I wrote before, modern civilization needs women to be feminists, since they need women to be active in education and work. Modern civilization also needs traditional family structures to be weakened, because it needs people to be dependent on the system and strong family boundaries would make families more independent. Modern civilization however, does not care if men are dominant machos or "modern men", since this is irrelevant to the system.

However, besides the influence of media, I think the strongest factor for men to behave in accord to the traditional role, is simply that women encourage them to do. Feminism changed the way how women work, born and raise children, engage in sexual acts etc. It did rarely change the way women choose partners. Women still prefer dominant, self-confident, "bad boy" men, even those who consider themselves feminists. And of course they send a message to men with this: "If you want to be sexually and/or romantically successful, you have to fit the traditional role for men. You have to be dominant, self-confident and in cases of doubt you should tend to be indifferent towards womens emotions etc."
I find it very funny, that feminists talk a lot about "patriarchy" and the way media/society teaches men to behave, but always fail to acknowledge the impact it has to men when they see which kind of males women choose to have relationships and/or sex with.
You could say that women are simply attracted to the kind of men, media and society teaches them to be worthy, but I think the reason for this behaviour are more likely to be evolutionary than a result of upbringing.
Back to top Go down
Mj2beat

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:17 am

Hale-Bopp wrote:
Sometimes, the traditional idea's about gender roles, still appear in society, yes. But I think this is not because they are taught by society, but because they are remnants of the past. A cultural tradition, that was active over a span of thousands of years, does not disappear in a few decades, though it can get damaged.

In case of the traditional role of men, I think that the media is more likely to portray it a positive light, simply because this role is not as inconsistent with the needs of modern civilization as the traditional role of women is. Like I wrote before, modern civilization needs women to be feminists, since they need women to be active in education and work. Modern civilization also needs traditional family structures to be weakened, because it needs people to be dependent on the system and strong family boundaries would make families more independent. Modern civilization however, does not care if men are dominant machos or "modern men", since this is irrelevant to the system.

However, besides the influence of media, I think the strongest factor for men to behave in accord to the traditional role, is simply that women encourage them to do. Feminism changed the way how women work, born and raise children, engage in sexual acts etc. It did rarely change the way women choose partners. Women still prefer dominant, self-confident, "bad boy" men, even those who consider themselves feminists. And of course they send a message to men with this: "If you want to be sexually and/or romantically successful, you have to fit the traditional role for men. You have to be dominant, self-confident and in cases of doubt you should tend to be indifferent towards womens emotions etc."
I find it very funny, that feminists talk a lot about "patriarchy" and the way media/society teaches men to behave, but always fail to acknowledge the impact it has to men when they see which kind of males women choose to have relationships and/or sex with.
You could say that women are simply attracted to the kind of men, media and society teaches them to be worthy, but I think the reason for this behaviour are more likely to be evolutionary than a result of upbringing.

Thats a good point and I am agree. In our families and society we still find traditions from the past, is something cultural that make us to act like that, mostly because the people like to live from the past and is always thinking on the past, but I sure that in a future generation it will change, because we still can see that some things are changing, although other things not yet and we have to wait. Sadly, the superciality and cliche will stay or thats what Ive noticed and thats the problem.

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:50 pm

Hale-Bopp wrote:
And finally....Elliot got chicks!! (Just saw a post on tumblr from a girl who writes, that he would have "dated him in a heartbeat".)
I knew this would happen. We should play a game of "How many days before a mass murderer gets fangirls". Winner gets chipotle.
Back to top Go down
queenfarooq

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:54 am

A little off topic but for any members in England who are interested, there is a program about Elliot Rodger tonight on Channel 4, it's called 'The Virgin Killer' and starts at 10:05 pm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:44 pm

@queenfarooq wrote:
A little off topic but for any members in England who are interested, there is a program about Elliot Rodger tonight on Channel 4, it's called 'The Virgin Killer' and starts at 10:05 pm.
Can someone photoshop Elliot Rodger's head on the virgin mary because of that name?
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:09 am

I watched the start of the documentary but fell asleep half way through. I'll catch up with it tonight.

It just seemed to show his videos then some expert would chip in with a few comments after a minute or two of ER filming himself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
philosopher_king

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:10 pm

An interview with Elliot Rodger's dad is going to be shown on ABC this Friday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MysteryMan

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:33 am

I've been reading and watching his manifesto and videos I couldn't stand his whining. He behaved like a pathetic kid all the time. He never tried to pick up a girl instead drove or walked through the campus like a psycho maybe he was waiting for a miracle to happen. I have more respect for Eric at least he tried to be attractive to women. Eliot should have put his pride in his pocket and hired a hooker. Maybe if he'd had sex this sensless crime might have been prevented.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:14 pm

@MysteryMan wrote:
I've been reading and watching his manifesto and videos I couldn't stand his whining. He behaved like a pathetic kid all the time. He never tried to pick up a girl instead drove or walked through the campus like a psycho maybe he was waiting for a miracle to happen. I have more respect for Eric at least he tried to be attractive to women. Eliot should have put his pride in his pocket and hired a hooker. Maybe if he'd had sex this sensless crime might have been prevented.
..Or if he learned that people don't owe him sex.  flower 
Back to top Go down
MysteryMan

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:06 am

Hale-Bopp wrote:

Well, he wrote in his Manifesto that he don't want to hire a prostitute, because fake affection is not what he was looking for.
Yes I've read this too but as I mentioned before with that behavior he never had a chance to find a girlfriend at least a normal one.
Quote :
..Or if he learned that people don't owe him sex.
Exactly!
Quote :
I'm wondering why exactly this shooting seems to get so much attention.
I assume that's because of a part of men's population in some of Eliot's ideas can see a reflection of themselves in some way We've had a crisis of masculinity since the second world war. Many of men don't know how to manage with women and they even don't know who they are. Maybe this case give them opportunity to look inside of their selfs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dunkelziffer

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:51 pm

bump.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
radaddio

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:08 pm

Guest wrote:
Lananas wrote:

Not to derail the thread too much, but there are many instances of misogyny in American Cinema. "American Psycho" was a prominent one, as well as the "Legally Blonde" franchise. Although, "Legally Blonde" was more about overcoming stereotypes regardless of your background, or how you dress, etc. So, that might be a wash. Video games are a big source of misogyny as well *ahem* GTA 5.

Most of it is satire, as is the case with GTA 5. Also, the females are still usually protagonists overcoming some sort of obstacle, and anything sexist would be relative to the film's atmosphere only.
There are instances of feminist extremism, but probably no more than any other disenfranchised group that has an organization formed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:30 pm

In poland feminism is mainstream enough for everyone to be able to freely talk about, but its also constantly under attack by the conservative right and the church.

So you can say you are a feminist or that you are an anti-feminist and most of the time not be afraid of a backlash, unless you meet some real political extremist.

Misogyny is probably as bad as in Germany or in other neighbouring countries. Its certainly an issue, but in no way the greatest problem in the nation. The vast majority of people feel that men and women are in the same boat and care mroe about social class/education/political opinions than gender.

radaddio

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:37 pm

Really, until pop culture made a big deal about it, feminism was in the same category as racism in that we made some real headway in changing things for the better but still admitting that more needed to be done.

I would say the general attitude towards it in the USA is about the same. Those who argue about it to any extent on either side are disillusioned towards other problems facing the public.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scypek

PostSubject: Re: Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13   Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:54 pm

I used to think the scale of Elliot's misogyny was exceptional. Only later I have learned about all the neo-misogynist movements - Red Pill, MGTOW, MRA, manosphere (google with caution). With those being a thing, it would be strange if no one went on a rampage caused by not getting any (or getting some but not enough).

View user profile

Isla Vista University Shooting 05/23/13
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next