Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

The most stupid psychiatrist ever: Dr. Welner

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: The most stupid psychiatrist ever: Dr. Welner   Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:11 am

I found this video where a psychiatrists with the name Dr. Welner talks about why Mass Shootings happen- or better to say why he thinks that Mass Shootings happen.

He states, that the most important motive for any Mass Shooter is fame....

He states, that we should not be interested in what the Shooter says himself about his motives, because we'd only give him fame....(and maybe because his "fame"-theory would be collapse instantly)

He states, that Video Games should be banned, because he believes Video Games are "the worst thing" an isolated individual could do....

He mentions the fact, that a lot of Mass Shooters were mentally ill as it would be something completely petty, compared to his other "answers"....

Not at a single moment, he gives any argument about he thinks this way, what research did make him developing this opinions and what kind of evidence supports them....

This dumb piece of sh*t would be funny to watch, if there wouldn't be the sad circumstance that he takes everything seriously, that he says. It would be funny to watch, if it wasn't aired in a Talk Show were probably thousands, if not millions of people saw him and heard his crap. It would be funny to watch, if I didn't saw him in plenty other News about Mass Shooters, spreading his wannabe explanations.

Back to top Go down
Mj2beat

PostSubject: Re: The most stupid psychiatrist ever: Dr. Welner   Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:35 am

I couldnt finish the video, I dont see anything from that show serious at all and he is just like all the people looking for easy excuses about these cases or the cop saying that these guys committed those things because they were bored. Just people ignoring the reality.

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Koltin

PostSubject: Re: The most stupid psychiatrist ever: Dr. Welner   Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:25 pm

wtf people who belive this guy and think videogames shoud be banned are stupid
If they ban them anarchy ensues people will go crazy and people will die of boredom
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chachernov

PostSubject: Re: The most stupid psychiatrist ever: Dr. Welner   Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:27 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
wtf people who belive this guy and think videogames shoud be banned are stupid
If they ban them anarchy ensues people will go crazy and people will die of boredom

Actually what he says in the beginning about it being a "pathway" (I wouldn't call it like that though) makes sense it are people who are getting increasingly frustrated with the world and the people around them.
those three symptons he mentions at 5:55 are stupid though he has no idea what he is talking about, I agree with anyone who says he's a moron.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chachernov

PostSubject: Re: The most stupid psychiatrist ever: Dr. Welner   Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:31 pm

Ugh what an arrogant asshole he talks non stop for almost ten minutes without giving any of the other participants the chance to give their opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: The most stupid psychiatrist ever: Dr. Welner   Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:14 pm

He is not totally wrong imho, as fame is a big issue for many shooters. I;'d risk saying taht for Cho, broadly defined "fame" (or infamy) was the main motive.

i'm not syaign I agree with him on everything and taht fame is important for each and every kliller. But it is important for some. It was for Eric Harris. He got me lost on Lanza though. Lanza seeking fame? I'm not sure, not an expert on Lanza in nay way... but he doesn't strike me as that much of a glory seeker as Cho for example.

Still, I'm not crossing this shrink guy off, because (pehraps in an overly media-seeking "hugg the camera glass" way) he still does say some important and imho true things:

1) Mental ilness can contribute to becoming a spree killer, but it is not absolutely necessary.
2) Becoming a spree killer of the sort Cho or Auvinen, or Harris were is a life choice. I entirely agree. There are some "impulse" random spree killers, but those who plan and obsess over it are making a choice of their own. This is very important to stress and the guys in the vid does that. Few other psychiatrists have the balls to gou out and say this, partially because it undermines the "nurture not nature" dogma that has became dominant in academic circles.
3) Guns make killings easier and the results worse. but guns do not create the problem, the root cause.

So yeah, he is perhaps simplifying it as it is a media audience, but the few points he makes ae woth thinking about.

I myself would add an important part and stress this, he glances over it imho -

4) A spree killer is angry/unhappy/depressed/anxious - in short he hates life. He hates everyday life. This is where it starts with. Fame seeking may turn this from a suicide to a homicide, but the problem starts with the shooter's anger, hate and dissatisfaction with everyday life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The most stupid psychiatrist ever: Dr. Welner
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1