Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Longer dead than alive

Go down 
+9
kurayami
Juicy Jazzy
aquillina
shades
Lizpuff
Jenn
sororityalpha
PaintItBlack
LPorter101
13 posters
AuthorMessage
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 147925
Forum Reputation : 2502

Longer dead than alive Empty
PostSubject: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 6:30 pm

Enough time has passed that Eric and Dylan's two youngest victims have now been dead for longer than they were alive.

Steven Curnow was born on Tuesday, August 28, 1984. He passed the longer-dead-than-alive threshold on Tuesday, December 10, 2013.

Daniel Rohrbough was born on Friday, March 2, 1984. He passed the threshold about three weeks ago, on Saturday, June 7, 2014.

Daniel Mauser was born on Saturday, June 25, 1983. He'll pass the threshold on Friday, February 13, 2015.

As for the rest:

Matt Kechter
Saturday, February 19, 1983
Friday, June 19, 2015

Kelly Fleming
Thursday, January 6, 1983
Sunday, August 2, 2015

John Tomlin
Wednesday, September 1, 1982
Monday, December 7, 2015

Kyle Velasquez
Wednesday, May 5, 1982
Monday, April 4, 2016

Corey DePooter
Wednesday, March 3, 1982
Monday, June 6, 2016

Cassie Bernall
Friday, November 6, 1981
Saturday, October 1, 2016

Rachel Scott
Wednesday, August 5, 1981
Monday, January 2, 2017

Lauren Townsend
Saturday, January 17, 1981
Friday, July 21, 2017

Isaiah Shoels
Monday, August 4, 1980
Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Dave Sanders
Monday, October 22, 1951
Wednesday, October 17, 2046

Eric Harris
Thursday, April 9, 1981
Sunday, April 30, 2017

Dylan Klebold
Friday, September 11, 1981
Saturday, November 26, 2016
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 95816
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 10:47 pm

So, so sad:(

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 2:49 am

PaintItBlack wrote:

Yes, but inevitable. Time waits for no man. At some point (hopefully in the distant future) every single person reading these words will have been dead for longer than he or she was alive.

I often ponder an interesting line from one of the Star Trek movies: "Time is the fire in which we burn."

The bombs failed to go off, but as the bullets penetrated the victims' bodies and brains, they incinerated the hopes and dreams of dozens of people - not only the dead and the wounded, but their families and friends, as well.

Every single one of the victims had some kind of a plan for the future. All of those uncharted possibilities went up in smoke on Tuesday, April 20, 1999.

"Ashes to ashes," indeed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 11:00 pm

LPorter101 wrote:
PaintItBlack wrote:

Yes, but inevitable. Time waits for no man. At some point (hopefully in the distant future) every single person reading these words will have been dead for longer than he or she was alive.

I often ponder an interesting line from one of the Star Trek movies: "Time is the fire in which we burn."

The bombs failed to go off, but as the bullets penetrated the victims' bodies and brains, they incinerated the hopes and dreams of dozens of people - not only the dead and the wounded, but their families and friends, as well.

Every single one of the victims had some kind of a plan for the future. All of those uncharted possibilities went up in smoke on Tuesday, April 20, 1999.

"Ashes to ashes," indeed.
Well, that's what I think about while passing by the graveyards when going for a walk or biking. One day, I'm going to be 6 ft beneath the ground. Maybe someone will plant peonies for me in memoriam, and hopefully, a tombstone will be erected above my head. People will pass me, while biking or walking, not realizing they'll follow in my footsteps at some point.

The sad truth is, every person in those coffins (and urns) had memories, loved ones, dreams, fears, and so on. The same goes for the 15 dead that we take the time to remember.

It's a tad depressing that it sometimes takes getting shot to be remembered, though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 11:21 pm

It's strange how almost everything changes with time, but sometimes things remain the same such as Eric and Dylan. They never evolved like most do when they get older, and it's the same for their victims. That's how they are remembered and always how they'll be remembered.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 12:30 am

SeeMan666 wrote:
It's strange how almost everything changes with time, but sometimes things remain the same such as Eric and Dylan. They never evolved like most do when they get older, and it's the same for their victims. That's how they are remembered and always how they'll be remembered.

Not necessarily.

In the days after the massacre, Eric and Dylan were portrayed as Satanic-worshipping Goths. Eventually a truer picture emerged. But then Cullen came along and started spewing his bullshit.

The following is from this article:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yet much of what we think we know about Columbine, much of what was reported in the frantic first days of coverage and repeated endlessly since, is wrong. It's a product of overreaching and often sloppy reporting, hysterical and sometimes unreliable sources, misinformation from official sources, or just plain tabloid luridness. Examples:

* Hours after the onslaught began, an ace investigative reporter at Channel 9/KUSA announced that the Trenchcoat Mafia was a tight-knit "hate group" with national ties.

* The day after the killings, the Washington Times reported that Klebold and Harris "admired the Gothic scene and Satan worship, sometimes donning makeup in the style of one of their heroes, shock rock star Marilyn Manson. Sometimes they wore swastikas."

* Two days later, building on a sketchy report in the Denver Post, the New York Post announced that the killers "rehearsed their rampage in a morbid video they made for school," in which a trenchcoated Harris and Klebold pretended to shoot jocks.

* Just a couple of weeks ago, the Denver Rocky Mountain News reiterated that during the massacre, "Klebold and Harris said they were targeting athletes because they felt they ruled student life and needed to be brought down."

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. And wrong.

Klebold and Harris were not leaders of a close-knit hate group known as the Trenchcoat Mafia. They didn't make videos of themselves roaming the hallways of Columbine, shooting jocks. They didn't openly sport swastikas, and such attire would hardly have been permitted in their homes--Eric's father, Wayne Harris, is an Air Force veteran, and Dylan's mother, Susan, is Jewish. The boys' allegiance was to the German techno-rock band Rammstein, not Marilyn Manson or the goth scene. And while eyewitness accounts do indicate they made remarks about jocks during their killing spree, it's hard to credit the notion that they were targeting anyone in particular on their apocalyptic suicide mission, which investigators believe was supposed to end with a fireball consuming hundreds of lives.

The carnage of April 20 is not a simple parable of humiliation and revenge, nor is it a cautionary tale of a permissive society gone mad. The mass homicide may have more to do with the special culture of Columbine, the world its students inhabited on a daily basis, than school officials will ever acknowledge. The high school that Klebold and Harris sought to destroy was a place of long-simmering resentments and pathology, wrapped in a bright lie of communal achievement and mutual respect. It's a place where teachers and parents were nominally involved but ultimately irrelevant, since adults were easy to fool or ignore. A place where teenagers were encouraged, even badgered, into straitjacketed notions of success, while others plunged into a realm of violent fantasy. A place where, as if by magic, what was considered cool and daring became unspeakably cruel and grotesque.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 12:30 am

I bump, therefore I am.

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 95816
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 1:03 am

@LPorter,
Thank you for all the effort you put into totaling these figures up and sharing them with us.
It's important to know and remember that since you first posted this Kelly& Daniel M. have passed this tragic landmark and soon John will as well.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 12:34 am

I bump, therefore I am.

Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 121538
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 1:22 am

Dave Sanders 2046 wow
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 2:11 am

sororityalpha wrote:
Dave Sanders 2046 wow

2046 would have been the year that Eric and Dylan turned 65.

Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 5:44 am

In case you're wondering, I bumped this to show that time is passing faster than we might think.

Since I created this thread in June 2014, Daniel Mauser, Matt Kechter, Kelly Fleming, and John Tomlin have all passed the longer-dead-than-alive threshold. In a little over two months, Kyle Velasquez will pass it, too.

I bump topics because I think they're interesting and relevant, and because I think that others might find them interesting and relevant and have interesting and relevant things to say about them.

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 5:46 am

LPorter101 wrote:
In case you're wondering, I bumped this to show that time is passing faster than we might think.

Since I created this thread in June 2014, Daniel Mauser, Matt Kechter, Kelly Fleming, and John Tomlin have all passed the longer-dead-than-alive threshold. In a little over two months, Kyle Velasquez will pass it, too.

I bump topics because I think they're interesting and relevant, and because I think that others might find them interesting and relevant and have interesting and relevant things to say about them.
This doesn't violate our rules. This kind of bumping is encouraged.
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 6:56 am

Ivan wrote:
LPorter101 wrote:

Ah, good. Thanks for letting me know. Very Happy

Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118020
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 8:04 am

LPorter101 wrote:
Ivan wrote:
LPorter101 wrote:

Ah, good. Thanks for letting me know. Very Happy

We got several abuse complaints over the past few weeks about spam/posts just to increase post count. I also wanted to add that any members this is in regard to would receive a private message. If you haven't been contacted by Ivan or I, then you're fine and there's no issue with what you've been posting.

Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 1:59 pm

As of Monday, Corey DePooter will have been dead longer than he was alive.

Dylan's longer-dead-than-alive date is coming up.

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 95424
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 2:24 pm

I was thinking about this earlier this year. Very interesting to see the dates spelled out clearly! Thanks!

shades

shades

Contribution Points : 78986
Forum Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 2:47 pm

Bless their hearts.

Contribution Points : 72623
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 3:11 pm

Man I am crying my eyes out now.

Juicy Jazzy

Contribution Points : 97794
Forum Reputation : 21

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2016 5:01 am

Cassie's date has passed already. Rachel's is coming up. So sad... Sad
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118020
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2017 5:22 pm

LPorter101 wrote:

Matt Kechter
Saturday, February 19, 1983
Friday, June 19, 2015

Kelly Fleming
Thursday, January 6, 1983
Sunday, August 2, 2015

John Tomlin
Wednesday, September 1, 1982
Monday, December 7, 2015

Kyle Velasquez
Wednesday, May 5, 1982
Monday, April 4, 2016

Corey DePooter
Wednesday, March 3, 1982
Monday, June 6, 2016

Cassie Bernall
Friday, November 6, 1981
Saturday, October 1, 2016

Rachel Scott
Wednesday, August 5, 1981
Monday, January 2, 2017

Dylan Klebold
Friday, September 11, 1981
Saturday, November 26, 2016

It looks like there are only 3 victims plus Eric left who didn't reach the date where they've been dead longer than they were alive. On November 26, 2016 Dylan had officially been dead longer than he was alive. Rachel just passed her date on January 2, 2017.

The only victims left are Lauren, Isaiah and Dave Sanders. And on April 30, 2017 Eric will have been dead longer than he was alive.

Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2017 5:28 pm

That is incredible.
Back to top Go down
kurayami

kurayami

Contribution Points : 65205

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2017 1:18 am

That is seriously depressing and incredibly morbid. But oddly, interesting. I'm a bit more of an idealist and I most often find myself thinking "If Dylan and Eric hadn't done Columbine, what would they have actually been able to do with their lives?" or "What has humanity missed out on because of the evil act of two people?"
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2017 2:45 am

Eric will be longer dead than alive on my birthday

VOD101

Contribution Points : 92751

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2017 11:17 am

It surprises me how not long back 1999 feels. Opens my eyes to how young they truly were. Even at 18 it's really not enough time to truly understand what this world is about, maybe they were afraid of it.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2017 12:12 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] yeah, afraid of it is one thing, but I think they were also afraid that it will remain the same when they're out of school as when they were in school; losers, troubled, outcasts, suffering.

Kiwik

Contribution Points : 73426
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 12:02 am

Eric was born in April, Eric died in April. Eric will be longer dead than alive in April... Pretty interesting I guess.

I wonder if he ever felt the strong significance that his birth month played into his life while he was still alive. Maybe in a parallel universe the month of April holds positive milestones for him instead, like the start of a career or the month he gets married or something.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 1:39 am

Is there any significance to them being dead longer than they were alive?

Do you think anything different will happen this April 20 2017?

Just wondering what people think about this.
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

Draw_It_White

Contribution Points : 97168
Forum Reputation : 104

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 2:00 am

No real significance that I can see. It just makes me realise how short their lives actually were (except Dave, but his of course should have been a lot longer too).

I don't think anything particularly different will happen this time around. This is not a slight on the new principal or anything but now Frank has gone I think the memorial services will lessen in significance (with exception of the 20th anniversary). Again, not having a dig at anyone but as time goes by people move away, family members of victims pass away, people have moved on and don't want reminding every year about it etc.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 2:35 am

I know we try to attach significance to dates, events, etc. but is there really any?

There doesn't seem to be any.

Like Y2K. Everybody thought there was going to be a big event and nothing  happened.

Or, December 2012 mayan calendar cycle. There was supposed to be some kind of possible event and nothing happened.

I know we try to make  these things seem significant but in the end there really is no connection.

Makes me wonder is all...
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 95424
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 8:37 am

Time is a manmade construction. As in calendars, dates and hours etc. I don't believe in anything happening on one specific date just because of the day. Was 9/11 destined to occur on the 11th day in September? If so why? I just don't believe it. It could have happened on the 12 or the 10 just as easily.

For me I am the same as Draw it White. It is just more of a milestone in the passing of time. To realize that Dylan has now been dead longer than he was alive and soon Eric will follow.

anna444 likes this post

Back to top Go down
thenight_watchman

thenight_watchman

Contribution Points : 64522

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeWed Mar 08, 2017 1:13 pm

Wow, once you put in into perspective, it's incredibly depressing to think about. Thanks for taking the time to calculate and share. Really helps in trying to understand what truly happened that day and the victims of it.

Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 10:45 pm

I bump, therefore I am.

PostSubject: Re: Longer dead than alive   Longer dead than alive Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Longer dead than alive
Page 1 of 1