Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?

Go down 
+7
Nirvana92
eli27
Rebdoomer
sororityalpha
em81
Cezar
Jenn
11 posters
AuthorMessage

Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Empty
PostSubject: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 1:42 pm

Hello,
I just got a link to this petition:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The text in the petition says that the Basement Tapes normally would be released in 2027. I've never heard about that. Is it true?
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118020
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 2:02 pm

No, the Basement Tapes were locked away in a vault in 2006 for 50 years.

Back to top Go down
Cezar

Contribution Points : 100849
Forum Reputation : 4

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 7:20 pm

Jenn wrote:

Fifty years!?     Shocked 

Seems they like hiding the truth.

Lost Media Wikia

It's time to release the tapes, unedited, to get the truth out, and to get this over with.

If there is truly is a freedom of information act, then they should be released.

Like a Star @ heaven 
Back to top Go down
em81

Contribution Points : 100499
Forum Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 11:27 am

Jenn wrote:

did you have a source? that would be awesome.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 121538
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2015 3:56 pm

The Basement Tapes were allegedly destroyed
Back to top Go down
Rebdoomer

Rebdoomer

Contribution Points : 78628
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2016 6:30 am

We will never see the tapes. It doesn't matter if they were locked away for 50 years or 2 days. We won't see them and it sucks.

eli27

eli27

Contribution Points : 82832
Forum Reputation : 135

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2016 8:34 am

I'm not even gonna bother signing. Over 15 years after NBK and they still haven't been released, it's not happening.

If only E&D had emailed them to reporters or made them public just before the shooting.

Nirvana92

Contribution Points : 82464
Forum Reputation : 80

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2016 4:51 am

eli27 wrote:
I'm not even gonna bother signing. Over 15 years after NBK and they still haven't been released, it's not happening.

If only E&D had emailed them to reporters or made them public just before the shooting.

The fact that they didnt is quite odd actually. They mention in the tapes themselves that police are likely to withhold them or edit them down to nothing.
Back to top Go down
eli27

eli27

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2016 5:45 am

Nirvana92 wrote:
eli27 wrote:

The fact that they didnt is quite odd actually. They mention in the tapes themselves that police are likely to withhold them or edit them down to nothing.

I'm not one for 'conspiracy theories', but they gotta be hiding something. Whether it be simply actions taken by Eric and Dylan that would make the police look bad for not having seen/connected at the time, or something more. But then it wouldn't make sense that a few were able to see them.

Nirvana92

Contribution Points : 82464
Forum Reputation : 80

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2016 5:09 pm

eli27 wrote:
Nirvana92 wrote:
eli27 wrote:

I'm not one for 'conspiracy theories', but they gotta be hiding something. Whether it be simply actions taken by Eric and Dylan that would make the police look bad for not having seen/connected at the time, or something more. But then it wouldn't make sense that a few were able to see them.

Oh I whole heartedly believe there's something on those tapes JeffCo didnt want getting out. I think E and D were causing more trouble than they'd want the public knowing. Night missions, bomb making, theft (for which they were arrested), all leading up to a shooting that should have been prevented. This whole case was and still is an embarrassment for JeffCo. We already know they tried to cover up the Browns reports on Eric. What would have stopped them from editing the BTs before screening them for Time and the families?

Of course if they destroyed them then that's only fuel for the fire. To be honest I lost interest in the BTs a long time ago. I don't think I can handle listening to two children rant about being gods for hours on end. Still the tapes had significant historical value and I'd consider their destruction to be a crime. To this day Columbine is still unique among mass shootings and those tapes would hold some value in the right hands. They should have at least made it available to psychologists to study before destroying them.
Back to top Go down
eli27

eli27

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2016 6:15 pm

Nirvana92 wrote:
What would have stopped them from editing the BTs before screening them for Time and the families?

good point, hadn't even crossed my mind, duh me

Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2016 2:47 am

Eric and Dylan actually said in the basement tapes that they wanted to mail the tapes to four news stations .... obviously that never happened.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2016 3:11 am

As far as I know, the only things that will be released In 2027 are the depositions of Eric and Dylan's parents

Back to top Go down
eli27

eli27

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2016 1:22 pm

Even if we do ever get to see the basement tapes, they are gonna be cut versions.

I don't believe for a second that the uncut basement tapes will ever be shown to the public in my lifetime.

boringguy

Contribution Points : 81935
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2016 3:56 pm

Apparently the Jefferson County PD destroyed them back in 2011. If that really happened, it was an incredibly stupid move. They could have been used to gain some valuable insight into the psychology of E&D and other school shooters/mass murderers. They say they did it because they think it will inspire people to follow E&D's path, but i'm not buying it. I think it was to cover themselves. There were several chances for them to take action on reports and such concerning E&D. Had they taken action, Columbine never would have happened. But they were incompetent and didn't follow through. E&D probably mentioned this a lot, seeing as how these were the last recordings before they went on their massacre. People would be outraged at the Jefferson County PD if they knew about this stuff, so the PD probably wanted to make sure the tapes never get out in the public.

I'm still hopeful that more audio recordings/transcripts are out there somewhere.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 6:44 am

I thought the basement tapes were destroyed a while ago. I think only a handful of people outside of the police had seen them before that, such as the Browns and Jodi Picoult, author of Nineteen Minutes. I could be wrong about the later though.
Back to top Go down
eli27

eli27

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 11:24 am

I can't bring myself to believe that they have been destroyed. Surely Jeffco wouldn't be allowed to destroy them? After all they would be of huge importance to the police and those studying the minds of killers/trying to prevent future shootings.

FlyerFan

Contribution Points : 76122

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 6:48 pm

eli27 wrote:
I can't bring myself to believe that they have been destroyed. Surely Jeffco wouldn't be allowed to destroy them? After all they would be of huge importance to the police and those studying the minds of killers/trying to prevent future shootings.

Well the way I see it, if that jackass was arrogant enough to take photos of himself posing with the guns used in the murders hes probably got himself a copy of the tapes somewhere too...
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 9:29 pm

The Basement Tapes were destroyed, right?

Last edited by sororityalpha on Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
em81

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 6:44 pm

why do you think that jodi picoult watched the tapes?
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 147925
Forum Reputation : 2502

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 9:41 pm

OffthechainJoehovah wrote:
I thought the basement tapes were destroyed a while ago. I think only a handful of people outside of the police had seen them before that, such as the Browns and Jodi Picoult, author of Nineteen Minutes. I could be wrong about the later though.

I don't know about Picoult, but the Browns have seen them.

After reporters from Time got to see the tapes in December 1999, Jeffco screened them for reporters:

Cullen was barred from the screening. He has never seen them.

Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 147925
Forum Reputation : 2502

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 9:54 pm

Here's an article about the victims' families' reactions to the tapes:

`IT'S THE END OF INNOCENCE, ISN'T IT?'
COLUMBINE FAMILIES VIEW KILLERS' TAPES, EXPRESS OUTRAGE AT MEDIA RELEASE

By Holly Kurtz and Lynn Bartels
News Staff Writers

Families of the Columbine High victims for the first time Monday watched the painful videotapes of Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris plotting to kill their loved ones.

``It was all very bad,'' said Brad Bernall, whose daughter Cassie died in the massacre.

The viewing came just hours after the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department apologized for showing the tapes to Time magazine before the families.

Outraged parents criticized Sheriff John Stone, saying their requests to see the tapes had been repeatedly refused.

``I don't know who to be more upset with, Time magazine or the Sheriff's Department,'' said Connie Michalik, mother of wounded Columbine student Richard Castaldo.

Investigators seized three homemade videotapes from Harris' home in the days after the April 20 shooting that left 13 dead and about two dozen wounded.

The tapes show the cold-blooded killers painstakingly planning the attack they hoped would produce a high body count, a cultlike fan club and famous film directors vying to tell their story.

They named who they planned to kill - although investigators say all of their victims were random - and showed off the arsenal of rifles and homemade bombs they had hidden in Harris' bedroom.

The seniors ranted and rambled about minorities, ``white trash'' and classmates who had picked on them since elementary school - in short, everyone.

``I've narrowed it down,'' Klebold said on one tape. ``It's humans I hate.

``God doesn't exist.''

Said Harris: ``We're going to die killing you.''

Columbine parent Dale Todd, whose son Evan was injured in the library, said he doesn't blame the boys' parents because the teens had hidden what they were up to.

``They were the kids next door,'' he said. ``They could be anybody's kid.''

Time created a frenzy when it announced Sunday that it had seen the tapes and had made them their cover story. Because the magazine had seen the tapes, the sheriff's office agreed to the Denver Rocky Mountain News' request Sunday to also view the tapes.

All of the media were shown the tapes at noon Monday under the condition no audio or videotapes be made. Viewing for the families was later that afternoon.

Sheriff's officials apologized for causing the families pain. But they defended their actions by saying the Time reporter agreed to use the tapes as background, not as information in an article.

``The only thing we did wrong was trust Time,'' Deputy Wayne Holverson said.

Time denies having any such arrangement.

Brian Rohrbough, whose son was killed April 20, heaped blame on the sheriff's office.

``Jefferson County is lying through their teeth now,'' he said.

But Larry Nimmo, whose stepdaugher Rachel Scott was the first one killed, said he believes the Time reporter ``snookered'' the sheriff.

``There's no reason to believe they didn't lie,'' he said of Time.

Tom Mauser, whose son Daniel died in the attack, said he couldn't believe the tapes were released during the holiday season, and he called the sheriff's office.

He said Undersheriff John Dunaway called him back and apologized.

The Sheriff's Department administration approved showing the tapes to Time, Holverson said.

District Attorney Dave Thomas and Jefferson County Schools Superintendent Jane Hammond also said they had been caught off guard and that the families should have seen the tapes first.

Angela Sanders, whose father died while trying to save his students, was upset.

``We're the victims' families, and the first place we hear anything is in the paper. And it's been that way all along, and it's really frustrating,'' said Sanders, daughter of teacher Dave Sanders.

As the press showing was getting under way, Columbine parents Randy and Judy Brown showed up and demanded to be admitted.

A sheriff's official tried to keep them out.

``Are you going to arrest me if I go in that room?'' Randy Brown angrily asked before storming into the showing.

Officers didn't stop him.

``Rather than have a knockdown drag out with them, we allowed them in,'' said Holverson.

``They wanted to watch the tapes, and we figured this was as good a time as any.''

What the Browns saw on the tapes turned their stomachs.

``It's the end of innocence, isn't it?'' Randy Brown said.

They had long held out hope that Klebold, the boy they had known since second grade, was somehow dragged into the shooting plot by Harris.

A year before the shootings, the Browns had warned the sheriff that Harris was extremely violent, but detectives did not follow up.

Judy Brown sat on the floor, watching the hateful, expletive-laced ramblings. At times, she covered her mouth in horror, especially when Klebold criticized his family.

The gunmen only filmed one video at Klebold's home, a dress rehearsal on April 17 for what they planned to wear during the attack four days later.

In a stunning image of evil vs. innocence, Klebold's tuxedo for the prom the next day hung on his closet door as he donned black pants, a skinning knife, two weapons, ammunition and a black trench coat.

They laughed about the poetry they had written in class that day, about stopping violence and hate.

In their one-minute, 20-second goodbye tape made the morning of the shootings, Harris mentioned two friends, Nate Dykeman and Chris Morris. He told them if they survived the attack, they could have his belongings.

``It's amazing, the anger they had. It's unbelievable,'' said Mark Taylor, who was severely injured in the attack. ``It helps me understand why they did it.''

On the tape, Klebold had said, ``Everyone has to go through hell. Everyone has to suffer.''

And everyone associated with Columbine has.

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 11:31 pm

em81 wrote:
why do you think that jodi picoult watched the tapes?

In her novel Nineteen Minutes I thought I recalled reading that she had the privilege of seeing them as part of her research for the story. I could be wrong though. I'll look in the book again when I get the chance.
Back to top Go down
em81

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 1:33 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: thanks, very interesting. i didn´t know this article.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: i read the book too, but i only borrowed it. so if you could look, it would be very interesting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2016 8:53 pm

em81 wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: thanks, very interesting. i didn´t know this article.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: i read the book too, but i only borrowed it. so if you could look, it would be very interesting.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I assumed she was talking about the basement tapes, but perhaps not.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2016 10:32 pm

Nineteen Minutes was published on March 9, 2007

I am sure she did not get to see the Basement Tapes but the only way to know for sure would be to ask her.

I assume she read the journals and maybe some research material and watched the videos that we have, like Hitmen for Hire, Radioactive Clothing ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 2:06 am

eli27 wrote:

This was back in the 90's. With both of them using America Online Dialup for Internet Access (Well over peak usage, slower than traditional dialup) It would have literally taken hours to send a 30 minute clip, that looked decent on a video iPod screen. Now imagine, how long it would have taken.. to send a three hour video at just a decent resolution. It would have taken days... if not weeks to upload.

Another thought is... they could have mailed the tapes. But... But, imagine if something fell through at the last minute. Suddenly there plans & scheme would have been made public, and stopped... and they would have probably been charged with conspiracy. More importantly to them.. it would have ruined there plans.

They should have mailed those tapes, no doubt about it. But in retrospect.... I'm guessing they we're worried about getting caught.

Back to top Go down
Gonz

Gonz

Contribution Points : 84240
Forum Reputation : 50

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 7:57 am

DistantLurker wrote:
Another thought is... they could have mailed the tapes. But... But, imagine if something fell through at the last minute. Suddenly there plans & scheme would have been made public, and stopped... and they would have probably been charged with conspiracy. More importantly to them.. it would have ruined there plans.

They should have mailed those tapes, no doubt about it. But in retrospect.... I'm guessing they we're worried about getting caught.

They could have mailed the copies during the morning of the shooting, like the Virgnia Tech shooter did.

Last edited by Gonz on Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 1:35 am

Is this real:

?
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118020
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 2:09 am

BaseTape2 wrote:
Is this real:

?
Yes.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 2:59 pm

LPorter101 wrote:
OffthechainJoehovah wrote:

After reporters from Time got to see the tapes in December 1999, Jeffco screened them for reporters:

From 1:12 to 1:19.. where the hell did that video come from? Is that apart of yet another tape?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?   Basement Tapes to be released in 2027? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Basement Tapes to be released in 2027?
Page 1 of 1