Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Eric Harris quote about psychopathy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
columbine22

PostSubject: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:52 pm

He stated " I wish I was a fucking sociopath so I didn't have any remorse, but I do"

Do you think that he was lying?

"ll just go to some downtown area in some big ass city and blow up and shoot everything I can. Feel no remorse, no sense of shame"

"it's just another word like justice, sorry, pity, religion, faith, luck "

Or he wrote those cold quotes only for attention? Maybe because he felt that no one was sorry for him?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mj2beat

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:12 pm

He was upset with the world and with good reason since he felt alone and rejected, why? well we weren't with him to see what he experienced with the people but something had to happen because no one write things like this just for attention, starting with the fact that no one was reading his stuff at the moment he wrote it and he didnt know for sure if someone really would.

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Juicy Jazzy
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:31 pm

I think you have to have an element of lack of remose when you get down and personal with your victims before you shoot them. Both Eric and Dylan would taunt some of their victims before shooting them. A person with remorse who is committing a spur of the moment act will probably just shoot people in quick succession before surrender or before shooting themselves. I used to think that Eric's care for animals was proof enough that he did not have phsycopathic tendancies, however then I remember that Ted Bundy loved dogs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:12 pm

Most of Eric's journal seems like it was written FOR everyone to find and read. Note the differences between his and Dylan's journals. I don't believe it's ample proof that he's a psychopath, however. You can't diagnose someone as a psychopath when it's a theory and not an actual disorder. The DSM (Diagnostic & Statistics Manual), which is what psychiatrists use to diagnose patients, does not include psychopathy.

In Eric's journal, his writings portray what the media wanted: the perfect school shooter poster child who hated everything, everyone, and bragged about his plans to kill everyone in sight (which failed, in retrospect.) Meanwhile, Dylan's is pure angst. Not to call *all* of his problems "angsty", as he was possibly severely depressed. I doubt he even realized that someone would find it after he killed himself. He scarcely mentioned his plans for the massacre; just crushes, anger, sadness, and disappointment with his life. It was genuine, raw, incoherent and occasionally flat out strange.

I always wonder if Eric was hiding a lot of his true feelings, for the sake of building an image everyone would pore over after he died.

For starters, that's what we're doing. At least a little.
Back to top Go down
Mj2beat

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:58 pm

Lananas wrote:
Most of Eric's journal seems like it was written FOR everyone to find and read. Note the differences between his and Dylan's journals. I don't believe it's ample proof that he's a psychopath, however. You can't diagnose someone as a psychopath when it's a theory and not an actual disorder. The DSM (Diagnostic & Statistics Manual), which is what psychiatrists use to diagnose patients, does not include psychopathy.

In Eric's journal, his writings portray what the media wanted: the perfect school shooter poster child who hated everything, everyone, and bragged about his plans to kill everyone in sight (which failed, in retrospect.) Meanwhile, Dylan's is pure angst. Not to call *all* of his problems "angsty", as he was possibly severely depressed. I doubt he even realized that someone would find it after he killed himself. He scarcely mentioned his plans for the massacre; just crushes, anger, sadness, and disappointment with his life. It was genuine, raw, incoherent and occasionally flat out strange.

I always wonder if Eric was hiding a lot of his true feelings, for the sake of building an image everyone would pore over after he died.

For starters, that's what we're doing. At least a little.

Thats a good point, specially in the last two paragraphs. When you start a journal because you have too much things to express, it seems that you are writing to all the world like if all the world is reading you, many feelings and thoughs are not express or not very much at all because you are lazy to write often or you think about it once and forget it later, including the reason already mentioned in the beginning. What could be Eric's problem but it doesnt mean that he did it for attention, just Eric knew anyway, even though we have to remember that he started it when he started the massacre's plan or almost and both reasons (the attention and too much feelings around) might be valid. And I say now that both reasons because I couldnt ignore that Eric wanted to be practically famous after the massacre and many would want to read his writings like happen now.

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MysteryMan

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:37 am

For Eric his journal was the way to build an image of his alter ego Reb, He'd always wanted to be a tough guy with no remorse a true alpha male. Durnig his short life he didn't achive it so he figured out that he could do that through writing at least. The only entry where he showed his true face was the last from Aprill. So I don't get his journal seriously.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lasttrain
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:40 pm

Remorse means you wish you hadn't done something.  You can't feel remorse and then go do it.

Psychopaths often feel "fleeting" emotions that are tiny compared to what a person with a conscience would feel.  The literature is clear about this.  My guess is that Eric was experiencing a "fleeting" indication of how a normal person might view Columbine, and it found it slightly uncomfortable (where a normal person would find it totally horrifying).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MysteryMan

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:02 am

I'm sorry maybe I didn't exprees myself clearly, english is not my first language. It was a slip of the tongue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mj2beat

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:23 am

MysteryMan wrote:
I'm sorry maybe I didn't exprees myself clearly, english is not my first language. It was a slip of the tongue.

Actually I understood what you meant very well but if you think that you didnt express clearly then you can try again with a longer explanation that I would like to read because your last post was interesting. I am not very agree with it but it can have a bit of sense too.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
PaintItBlack
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:14 pm

By this line of thinking ,is Eric a psychopath because he had these thoughts and feelings or because he acted on them to their full conclusion? Many angry , abused kids have had the same thoughts and feelings and looked forward to their revenge with glee, only to end up not going through with it for some reason. I don't think they all would qualify as psychopathic.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lasttrain
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:27 am

MysteryMan wrote:

You expressed yourself perfectly well my friend.

I was just saying that I don't believe he had remorse. Many people say he did. But I don't believe it.

Your English is fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MysteryMan

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:41 am

Thank you both for kind words. I'll try to elaborate my thoughts. At first I want to say I found Eric with some way familiar to me I share with him some kind of similar life experience. As we know Eric was raised up in house where his father was dominant and mother which was subordinate to her husband additionally he had a brother whom was a popular kid in school. I think he had not been taught how to express his feelings and in consequence he bottled them up. My father was working in an army too and I've had a similar problem with my emotional side. Maybe it's stupid what I say but I think that Eric was more sensitive than Dylan whom was out of touch with reality and didn't care about nothing and nobody. I see him also as a better liar than Eric. Eric tried to search his identity and be like his father and brother but he fault. When he realized than he had no chance to achive it he built his alter ego Reb and pretended to act like a tough guy. Those military clothes, music, videos, silly theory about natural selection and being above all mankind. When I watch videos with him I can see insecure kid with terrible body language. He was not coherent with himself hence I assume why so many girls turned him down because women have a better skills to "read" a body language and feel an affectation. I don't agree that he was a psychopath. It's a easy explanation and the way to shut the case. A problem is more complex but is hard to search an answer when so many evidences are not released.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grandma

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:50 am

lasttrain wrote:
MysteryMan wrote:

You expressed yourself perfectly well my friend.

I was just saying that I don't believe he had remorse.  Many people say he did.  But I don't believe it.

Your English is fine.

I don't believe it to. I believe that both boys were very disappointed, not only for the bombs which failed, but for not feeling happier after the whole incident. I think they expected something big after killing people, I can't find other words for that.

The problem I have with this whole psychopath or not discussion, is that especially Eric committed suicide. in my opinion a real Psychopath acted more like Ted Bundy or Charles Manson, with taking the opportunity to brag for his actions. So I am always confuse about that.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Love
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:27 pm

Maybe Eric meant that he not only understands what he is doing, but can feel it. Like that, if I were a sociopath, I would not have suffered, but I also have feelings. I'm hurting you because you hurt me.

bradt93
Permanently Banned

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:38 pm

I just don't get why the teachers or no one else defended them why were being bullied. They probably felt lik noone cared about them enough to do that. I mean the principal and the teachers were a joke from what I read. I think that whole school was weird.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justjenna

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:27 pm

bradt93 wrote:
I just don't get why the teachers or no one else defended them why were being bullied. They probably felt lik  noone cared about them enough to do that. I mean the principal and the teachers were a joke from what I read. I think that whole school was weird.

Mr D. was and is a nice person. And you tend to forget they bullied others, one kid so bad he became afraid to come to school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bradt93
Permanently Banned

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:32 pm

Yes, they did, but why did the principal let that bullying culture go on?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kiwik

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:03 pm

bradt93 wrote:
Yes, they did, but why did the principal let that bullying culture go on?

The only person who can really answer that is him. Although I know after the shooting he tried to be more aware of issues like bullying, but I don't know how long he kept up with it.

I'm not saying it's right but unfortunately bullying has been around in schools as long as schools have existed. I don't think it's possible to eliminate it completely. I think columbine's principal was more focused on the reputation of the school in the community. If bullying was ever brought to his attention he probably brushed it off as kids being kids. Maybe he didn't know how extreme it was. And a lot of times kids who are being bullied don't want to speak up about it out of fear that they'll be bullied worse for ratting people out.

Not trying to make excuses for him or anyone else, but if you personally don't see any (major) incidents of it and no one is reporting it to you, how can you try to fix it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PaintItBlack
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:17 am

Mr.D may be a nice person but he was a horrible principal.He seemed to totally ignore the suffering of the unpopular students in the school.
And I found his denials after the shooting that the culture of his school or the administrations behavior had the slightest thing to do which it which I found irresponsible.His treatment of E &D's parents was reprehensible.
He just ignored them and never offered any sympathy or caring to them for their loss at all.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatheroftwo
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:36 pm

A person doesn't have to hit every "check point" on the DSM profile to be diagnosed with a certain disorder.  Nor do people display certain emotions with absolute consistency.

Eric is a classic sociopath, undeniable with any understanding of what the true qualifiers are.

CHS unfortunately is the classic example of an American school.  The food chain in life will always be dominated by the strong, wealthy and attractive.  In the case of the most shallow country in the world's existence, America just takes it to a whole new level.  It didn't take but a few years for CHS to revert to it's old ways.

Go to a 10 year high school reunion and you'll see that reality in the examples of the jock that is now a loser whose athletic prowess has run it's course and they no longer have that to rely upon.  The beauty queen who lost her looks.  If they don't have other qualities and lose the few they had, it's not a pretty situation.  Then you have the "under the radar" individuals who have found success based on being intelligent, possibly late bloomers etc.. that are the talk of the reunion for who they've become.

End of the day the winners are the strong, powerful and attractive.  The shame with E&D is that they eliminated themselves and were never able to blossom into a life that may have provided the joy and respect they so desired.

There is no way for a school to effectively manage bullying, it's a natural development of mankind that will exist in every scenario regardless of what structure is put in place.  Example being prisons and the Civil War.  In a so called controlled and mostly isolated environment, the prison system is run by the inmates and it's the most brutal example of power, strength and resources one will ever encounter.  The civil war example I include due to the separation from "English control" and the unity of those persecuted by the old country.  How long did it take for power and control instincts to put that unified group back at war with each other?

Sad reality, but a reality none the less.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jada887

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:56 pm

columbine22 wrote:
He stated " I wish I was a fucking sociopath so I didn't have any remorse, but I do"

Do you think that he  was lying?

"ll just go to some downtown area in some big ass city and blow up and shoot everything I can. Feel no remorse, no sense of shame"

Dwayne Fuselier would say, "If you felt any kind of remorse, Eric, you wouldn't have done it." It's very difficult to argue that point. Let me give a brief example: Jill has an annoying dog. John lives next door to Jill and can't stand her dog's incessant barking. John hatches a plan to entice Jill's dog with dog treats laced in poison. But before he goes to execute the plan, John says that he wishes he wasn't a sick person, so that he would feel pity for the animal he about to poison. John executes the plan anyway. Do you believe John? Do you think he was remorseful?
Think about this scenario for a moment.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sscc
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:37 pm

columbine22 wrote:
The last sentence is a piece of a KMFDM song. Maybe it's insignificant that these words were not originally written by Eric but maybe it is relevant.

KMFDM - Anarchy
Break my back
You won't break me
All is black
But I still see
Shut me down
Knock me to the floor
Shoot me up
Fuck me like a whore

Trapped under ice
Comfortably cold
I've gone as low as you can go
Feel no remorse
No sense of shame
Time's gonna wash away all pain

I made a God out of blood
Not superiority
I killed the king of deceit
Now I sleep in anarchy
Anarchy

Sacrifice to the cause
Turn your code into law
Compensate to validate the loss
You take a thief
Nail him to a cross

Gospel of rage
Faction of hate
Deviate from the absolute
Born of revenge
Raised on cement
Chaos created government

Not superiority
Wake me up in anarchy
Anarchy
Anarchy
Anarchy

Trapped under ice
Comfortably cold
I've gone as low as you can go
Feel no remorse
No sense of shame
Time's gonna wash away all pain

Not superiority
Now I sleep in anarchy

Not superiority
Wake me up in anarchy

Born of revenge
Raised on cement
Chaos created government

Not superiority
Wake me up in anarchy
Anarchy

Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:44 am

jada887 wrote:
columbine22 wrote:

Do you think that he  was lying?

Dwayne Fuselier would say, "If you felt any kind of remorse, Eric, you wouldn't have done it." It's very difficult to argue that point. Let me give a brief example: Jill has an annoying dog. John lives next door to Jill and can't stand her dog's incessant barking. John hatches a plan to entice Jill's dog with dog treats laced in poison. But before he goes to execute the plan, John says that he wishes he wasn't a sick person, so that he would feel pity for the animal he about to poison. John executes the plan anyway. Do you believe John? Do you think he was remorseful?
Think about this scenario for a moment.

I don't know about being remorseful before the act but I know you can feel guilt and shame over it. I also believe that in that scenario John would be remorseful after the dog has died. Especially if he saw what pain he caused Jill. Eric and Dylan obv are not around anymore to feel that remorse. They didn't get to see the pain and destruction they caused. I think if they would have lived they would have been remorseful.

View user profile
PaintItBlack
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:16 pm

Dwayne Fuselier is biased.
He went several hours that day not knowing if his son was dead or alive.Many of his sons close friends were very emotionally affected by the event.There is little chance he could have given an unbiased diagnosis of events.He should have taken himself off the case and its a shame he didn't.

I've said this before many time but any time someone brings this up,I feel compelled to point the above out.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatheroftwo
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:27 pm

PaintItBlack wrote:
He went several hours that day not knowing if his son was dead or alive.Many of his sons close friends were very emotionally affected by the event.There is little chance he could have given an unbiased diagnosis of events.He should have taken himself off the case and its a shame he didn't.

I've said this before many time but any time someone brings this up,I feel compelled to point the above out.

I'm ok with Fuselier's analysis of the killers..  his analysis was months after the events of 4/20 and entirely based upon the journals of E&D  he is/was one of the best in the field at the time.  I wouldn't underestimate a person of his levels ability to separate his emotions.  I read that he didn't even see his son Brian until late that evening upon returning home from the crime scene @ CHS.

Here are some good links related to this topic:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jada887

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:49 pm

PaintItBlack wrote:

You misunderstood me. I wasn't talking about Dwayne Fuselier but rather what he's said, which I think is logically correct because Eric and Dylan knew and anticipated the consequences. When you at the totality of the visual evidence, I find it very difficult to believe either side.

There was an interesting study done a few years ago by a Canadian team of psychologists who wanted to observe the facial expressions and cues of remorse. The study was divided into two groups, those who were genuinely remorseful and those who were not. The remorseful group showed very limited emotional release; while the deceptive group put on an emotional performance. What I've stated here is just a brief synonymous of the study. You can read the rest here:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BlackandWhite

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:31 pm

What would be the point of Eric feigning remorse anyway? His whole idea was to come across in his journal and the basement tapes as a tough alpha male getting his revenge. He wouldn't ruin that by deceiving people into thinking he had remorse when he didn't.

I mean why would he write about how he hates everyone so much and wants them all to die, and then go and say sorry a bunch of times, if he was still playing this "tough" character? I doubt he cared about getting people's sympathy; he wanted to be seen as a ruthless killer like Timothy McVeigh but couldn't avoid feeling bad about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bradt93
Permanently Banned

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:52 pm

Would he have done it by himself without Dylan though?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kiwik

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:15 pm

I think the only reason either of them went through with it was because there were 2 of them. They encouraged and fed off each other. I doubt either would've done it alone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kurayami

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris quote about psychopathy   Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:40 am

Fatheroftwo wrote:
A person doesn't have to hit every "check point" on the DSM profile to be diagnosed with a certain disorder.  Nor do people display certain emotions with absolute consistency.

Eric is a classic sociopath, undeniable with any understanding of what the true qualifiers are.

I don't mean to be nitpicking, but sociopathy and psychopathy are different things. Sociopaths have empathy, psychopaths don't. Also neither of these are truly diagnosable, though there has been some suggested modification to the anti-social personality disorder criteria for the DSM V that discuss psychopathy.

I'd talk about it here, but it's 2 am and I can't be bothered to get the article I was reading. I'll be writing a post in the next week about how the post-mortem diagnosis of psychopathy in Eric actually stacks up according to the current science, rather than just taking Cullen/Fuselier's word for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Eric Harris quote about psychopathy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next