Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Basement Tapes Destroyed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
LMNOP

PostSubject: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:48 pm

Recently Jefferson County elected a new sheriff. Therefore, I filed a public records request on the basement tapes to see if they would finally release them and got this

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Majority of it we already know, the courts said they could release them but the sheriff decided not to. However, the last page is of interest because it says "(the office) Destroyed the remaining evidence from the Columbine High School shootings."

Looks like we'll never see them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:34 pm

Wow, that sucks. I wonder if that is true or just something they are telling people so they will stop asking? Why would they destroy evidence? I have never heard of that happening before.
Back to top Go down
Gonz

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:19 am

Actually, after all the shitty work it's been done at Jeffco Sheriff's Office "losing" files, hiding documents and stuff like that, I wouldn't be surprised at all if turns out that they have destroyed the tapes…

I hope that to be just a fake statement, but who knows…
Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:36 am

Destroyed or not, there was no chance of them ever being released after so long. Would have liked to see and hear what they boys had to say in the lead up to the shooting, what a shame.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:45 pm

The final report of the investigation task force will be made public in the next few weeks and forwarded to Gov. Bill Owens' Columbine Commission. That panel will review the investigation and the response to the disaster at Columbine.

But the criminal case will be left open indefinitely. There is no statute of limitations on murder.

Investigators had hoped to keep sealed some of the most gruesome and shocking evidence, including crime scene photographs and the Harris-Klebold videotapes.

Leaving the case open, investigators had hoped, also would allow investigators to keep sealed some of the most gruesome and shocking evidence, including crime scene photographs and the Harris-Klebold videotapes.

Their reasoning was simple.

First, they wanted to protect the integrity of the evidence in the event anyone comes forward with new information.

Second, they didn't want to do anything to hurt the families of those injured and killed at Columbine -- families the investigators had come to know well and care about.

But now the Sheriff's Department has made the videotapes public, and it's unclear what impact that will have on the disclosure of remaining evidence.

No matter how exhaustive, the official report will never tell the entire story or measure the deep scars this tragedy left on the victims and the community.

It won't say that Coroner Nancy Bodelson still struggles to retain her composure when she thinks about the kids on the floor of the Columbine library.

Or that John Kiekbusch, commander of the investigation, worries that the community may yet face the same phenomenon that played out after the Oklahoma City bombing: suicides among police officers, paramedics and firefighters who rushed to the scene.

Or record the chill investigators still feel when they consider that the cafeteria bombs could have killed hundreds of children.

Or show the look on District Attorney Dave Thomas' face when he recalls the eyes of a broken-hearted father, just informed his son was dead.

Or explain why Sgt. Rich Webb and others wonder when -- not if -- someone will try to outdo Harris and Klebold.

Or finally answer the one question that remains on everyone's lips:

Why?

"I think I know why they did it," the FBI's Fuselier says. "It was because they were so filled with hate. But the real question is why they had so much hate inside them."
Back to top Go down
deathmedic

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:40 pm

IDK... I don't think they would destroy them without the public knowing. To me it seems to not be accurate, there would have been some kind of release in the news about it.
Back to top Go down
gasolinechild

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:52 pm

There must be alternate sources, even if it is all gone. The thirty seconds of leaked audio floating around the internet, what is the original source?
Back to top Go down
LMNOP

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:29 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
But the criminal case will be left open indefinitely. There is no statute of limitations on murder.

Fair to say I was confused by this as well. If you don't believe the upload you can send a Colorado Public Records request (I used a form letter from ifoia.org) to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Took them 12 days including weekends to respond.

According to their evidence return policy unless the property is illegal, hazardous, etc, an officer is supposed to release the evidence to its owner (the boys' parents).

I'll try getting an answer to if/when murder cases can be closed in Colorado.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:18 am

The Basement Tapes are 3 hours 1 minute & 55 seconds long:

Item #265 - March 15 to March 18

Item #298 2 Tapes - Tape #1 "Reb's Tape" April 11 to April 12 is part of the Basement Tapes
                                  Tape #2 is the Radioactive Clothing video & NOT part of the Basement Tapes

Item #333 - "Top Secret Rampart" Late March to April 20

**Copies were made of these items ... surely there MUST still be copies in existence.
Back to top Go down
deathmedic

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:00 pm

I'm not doubting you LMNOP.... I just doubt THEM... I think it's a lie/ BS.... Too bad someone can't contact Randy Brown... I'm sure he will kick up a shit storm if they were.
Back to top Go down
Wideawake

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:48 pm

As people above has said, I find it hard to believe that they destroyed these tapes without the public's knowledge, and that there were no copies made. And as deathmedic said, it's not that I disbelieve you, LMNOP. It's that whole fucking department that I disbelieve.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:34 am

"I just personally spoke on the phone to Jacki Kelley, Public Information Director for the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office. She said that ALL evidence has been destroyed, including computers that had been shot, ammunition, guns, bloody carpet, clothing, and the Basement Tapes. She said there was no reason to keep the evidence in their vault because there are no suspects in custody, no open court cases, etc. I pointed out that the recent 11-page letter regarding the Basement Tapes referred only to “documents” being destroyed and NOT evidence or specifically the Basement Tapes. Jacki Kelley said that letter wasn't penned by them and she thought the message was conveyed that EVERYTHING was destroyed.

She said it over and over again, “The Basement Tapes have been destroyed.” I told her I was shocked since a lot of people believed they were sealed by a judge and may (hopefully) be released someday. Nope. They are gone forever. :*****((

Those of you who figured out this depressing news from the letter are smarter than me. Maybe I wanted to believe that when they said “documents” they really meant “documents” and that they wouldn't destroy the Basement Tapes when they KNEW that people wanted to see them and that one day a judge might rule in favor of releasing them."

There goes all the evidence. Rip in peace.
Back to top Go down
deathmedic

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:31 am

WTF.... Bullshit... Well I may have just lost interest in this if this is true.... Still wouldn't shock me if it wasn't
Back to top Go down
Juicy Jazzy
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:51 am

There must be alternate sources, even if it is all gone.  The thirty seconds of leaked audio floating around the internet, what is the original source?
Rachel Scott's dad brought along a voice recorder to one of the basement tape viewings. He used that recorded thirty seconds to try and prove that Rachel had been targeted by Eric and Dylan, even though the 'Rachel' spoken about in the clip was a different Rachel.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:30 pm

[deleted post]

Last edited by sororityalpha on Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Draw_It_White

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:33 pm

As people above has said, I find it hard to believe that they destroyed these tapes without the public's knowledge, and that there were no copies made. And as deathmedic said, it's not that I disbelieve you, LMNOP. It's that whole fucking department that I disbelieve.

Randy is aware of it, just had some correspondence through from him. He obviously sounded very disappointed by this and at Jeffco in general for how they handled the whole thing from the start and how his family were treated.
Back to top Go down
philosopher_king

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:58 pm

They were destroyed sometime in February 2011.
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:06 pm

How did you find that out? This is extremely upsetting. It makes no sense for them to destroy evidence from a big case like that. So I guess all we're left with is that 30 second audio Rachel Scott's Father recorded.

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:20 pm

How did you find that out? This is extremely upsetting. It makes no sense for them to destroy evidence from a big case like that. So I guess all we're left with is that 30 second audio Rachel Scott's Father recorded.

I received that information from a YouTube video posted yesterday. Someone contacted Jefferson county police to ask about a status update on the tapes and she was told the tapes were destroyed in February 2011.
Back to top Go down
szuzanna

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:46 pm

Idk--I have a very hard time believing *anything* that comes out of Jeffco. Cya has always been their motto. If E&D hadn't died on scene the tapes would certainly have been used at trial without all the ridiculous hemming and hawing about "copycats" and such. I also have a pretty low opinion of some *officials* and can't seem to shake the thought of the "nyah nyah-look what I have and you don't" mentality.....Me? Cynical? Naaaaaa Smile
Back to top Go down
LMNOP

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:26 pm

I received that information from a YouTube video posted yesterday.

Link?
Back to top Go down
philosopher_king

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:06 pm

Back to top Go down
Gonz

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:50 pm

So Jeffco decides to destroy the real evidences but they keep selling copies of it like some kind of Columbine merchandising…

Back to top Go down
Cezar

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:10 pm

The statutes of limitations never run out on murder.  (They shouldn't on rape either.)

So, the case is still open and they can't just destroy evidence.

They are telling lies.   Also, there are copies. Someone needs to "leak" them onto the net.

The basement tapes are set to be released 2026.  Which is suspicious.  The tapes should have been released by now.

Back to top Go down
deathmedic

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:37 pm

Wasn't there a request made after 2011? I seem to remember someone doing that and they didn't say they were gone... Oh well. Time to move on I guess. Shows over nothing more to see here
Back to top Go down
Cezar

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:45 pm

Wasn't there a request made after 2011? I seem to remember someone doing that and they didn't say they were gone... Oh well. Time to move on I guess. Shows over nothing more to see here

Many people probably make requests every year.

We are supposed to have freedom of information.

These corrupt people need to realize this.

Hopefully someone leaks the tapes soon.
Back to top Go down
philosopher_king

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:01 pm

There was someone, I believe in June 2012, who did that on scmrpg. He hired a lawyer and was denied access to the tapes for privacy reasons I believe. There was no mention that the tapes were destroyed.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Jefferson County Records Management & Archives
3500 Illinois St., Suite 2350
Golden, CO 80401

(303) 271-8448

E-mail: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Website: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office provided a copy of its Final Report on CD to the Archives when it was released in 2000, and a set of the JCSO 911 and Dispatch Audio CDs was given in 2004.

A complete set of all CDs was provided to the Archives in July, 2011.

Paper documents were converted to CD by the Sheriff’s Office Records Unit to provide a user-friendly format.

*It is possible/probable that the Basement Tapes (Item #265, Item #298, Item #333) or copies of them were Archived in July 2011 & thus still accessible at some time.

*Also, copies of the Basement Tapes were made by JCSO Deputy Cheryl Zimmerman & FBI Agent John Elvig. The originals were placed in the Evidence Vault & the copies were separately locked in her desk drawer - Item #333 pg 010377, Item #265 pg 010381, Item #298 pg 010383

** FBI Agent Jeff Diehl was given a copy of Item #333 to transport to the Command Post.

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:57 pm

Jefferson County Records Management & Archives
3500 Illinois St., Suite 2350
Golden, CO 80401

(303) 271-8448

E-mail: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Website: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office provided a copy of its Final Report on CD to the Archives when it was released in 2000, and a set of the JCSO 911 and Dispatch Audio CDs was given in 2004.

A complete set of all CDs was provided to the Archives in July, 2011.

Paper documents were converted to CD by the Sheriff’s Office Records Unit to provide a user-friendly format.

*It is possible/probable that the Basement Tapes (Item #265, Item #298, Item #333) or copies of them were Archived in July 2011 & thus still accessible at some time.

*Also, copies of the Basement Tapes were made by JCSO Deputy Cheryl Zimmerman & FBI Agent John Elvig. The originals were placed in the Evidence Vault & the copies were separately locked in her desk drawer - Item #333 pg 010377, Item #265 pg 010381, Item #298 pg 010383

** FBI Agent Jeff Diehl was given a copy of Item #333 to transport to the Command Post.

So the FBI just might have a copy. Will send an FOIA can't hurt at this point.
Back to top Go down
rebgirl

PostSubject: Columbine Killers' Basement Tapes Destroyed    Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:00 pm

Basement Tapes Destroyed
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next