Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Basement Tapes Destroyed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Jenn
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:37 pm

Here is another thread where we've been discussing this.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:04 am

If they were never going to release them, we are no worse off if they have been destroyed. I have doubts this rumor is true though. If it is, I wonder if there are extra copies floating around out there somewhere?
Back to top Go down
carrie12

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:46 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
lol

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:55 pm

Still think theyre lying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MysteryMan

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:07 pm

I always thought that the justice sytem in my country is a piece of shit now I can see that the same things happens all around the world. I hope that some copies of the tapes still exist tough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rebgirl

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:39 pm

oups..ok..

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:56 pm

Thank you for posting the link to the article. Good read. Like many of the others I am not completely convinced that the tapes have actually been destroyed and if they were I have a feeling that someone has made a copy over the past 15 years.
Back to top Go down
Mr_Chagrin

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:44 pm

If the case is open they would not be able to destroy such evidence. It's no doubt as a result of the constant nagging of tumblrettes, and morons on the internet spamming the police station with phone calls and emails about the status of these tapes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:05 am

This is appalling. But I have a sneaky suspicion that someone, somewhere, has a copy.

It's a shame Dave Cullen never got to see them. (That's right - the World's Greatest Columbine Author(R) has never watched them. Go figure.)

Verse

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:40 am

Does this mean that with the evidence no longer existing there would be no repercussions if someone with a copy outside of Jeffco were to release it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ivan
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:55 am

Verse wrote:
Does this mean that with the evidence no longer existing there would be no repercussions if someone with a copy outside of Jeffco were to release it?
There is nobody outside of Jeffco who has it to be released. That's the point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Verse

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:55 am

Ivan wrote:
Verse wrote:
There is nobody outside of Jeffco who has it to be released. That's the point.

Does this apply to every piece of written or otherwise evidence that has been withheld from the public? This is all a little hard for me to believe Neutral
You'd think it would at least make a news article when they decided to dispose of the materials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_paddy_

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:35 am

I have only been into columbine, for a 2 years and a bit and I kind of understand why they would destroy the shells,carpet so fourth, but the but the tapes that's just plain stupid. In my humble opinion of course!! And also wondering if they made something similar to the Port Arthur police training video?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draw_It_White
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:22 am

There is a video of inside the library showing the blood splattered carpet and so on but the bodies had been removed. I think it's called fire dept. training video.

A quick question too if I may. A few years ago I read something online from a guy who claims he was shown round the library. He was quite descriptive in what he saw. He wasn't there himself on 20th April. I think he said his mum was a teacher there or something. Anyone recall this and have a link to it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draw_It_White
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:28 am

Sorry, found it easier that I thought. See below... Taken from documenting reality.com

The disc also contained a document written by a son of a Columbine survivor who toured the library after the shootings. He wrote the following testimony about what he saw and as far as I know it is one of the best descriptions available on the web of what the library looked like after Eric and Dylan's deadly shooting:

"Here's the skinny. My beloved mother works at Columbine highschool (where I graduated in '87). On 20 Apr 99 at approximately 11:15am she went into the library to look for her boss (an un-named computer teaher). Hell broke loose. She hid in a magazine locker adjasent (sp) to the library. Four hours later, the SWAT team led her to safety.

Now click ahead... My beloved mom is going through some serious fucking counseling. Complete with lots of cool drugs (that I steal on a regular basis!) Her trauma counselor thinks that it might be a good idea if someone in the family visits the site where everything happened.

My father declines. It is a little too much for him. My mom asks me. "Sure, I'll go!" I answer, not knowing what's in store fore me.

Here we go.

Enter Columbine HS at the north entrance -by the old auto shop building. Sign in -me, my mom and brother, her counselor, three firefighters, six admin officials, and two cops. (we had to sign our names so they knew we
were there).

Walk down the halls. Cop lets us know where everyone met the wrath of Eric and Dylan. There are bullet holes in the hall thresholds. Pretty fuckin cool I think. I touch them. 9mm slugs leave a nice sized hole.

We go into the library. This is really fuckin strange. All the interior windows have black butcher-block paper covering them. Can't see in or out.. Enter the room. Gotta sign a statement saying we won't go to the media etc... (This, I thought was pretty cool. Aimee Sporer* would cum in her panties to be in this room. I got to go in simply cuz I was a sprog of a survivor. )*Aimee Sporer is the extremely cute albeit married and motherly newscaster of our local channel four news.

Enter the room. First thing that grabs my attention is the carpet. It looks like its burned in spots. Closer examination realizes that its not burned. Its blood. Nine mm rifles and shotguns do a fucking good job of draining bodies. It was all underneath tables. Most of the kids died as they were hiding under tables. Granted, it had been 6+ weeks since the massacre, the blood was still very visable. (I guess bloood doesn't evaporate). Here's the wierd part: The blood was so thick that you could scrape it up with a putty knife. It was like dried up clay on the carpet (Sorry secret santa wishers, I didn't grab any samples). One kid who died had his *brains* blown onto the carpet. This nearly caused me to lose my lunch. But as a good A.T'er, I held it in. Picture a spot about as large as a frisbee. Turn it greyish-brown. Add cracks due to drying. Fucking brains. But what really had me was the presence of a fucking *turd* on the floor. I pointed it out to the investigator and asked, "what is that???" He replied, "Feces" Apparently, one girl shit on the floor as Eric and Dylan went about their mayhem.

Good ole' Cassie (she said yes) Bernall was reading the fucking newspaper when she bought it. It was opened up to page 16 and had her blood on it. Actually, there was blood everywhere. It was on the books, floor, periodicles, etc...

Go to the east part of the library. Eric and Dylan wisely decided to end it here. OK, most of the investigators believe Eric shot Dylan. When the report comes out, this claim will likely be substatiated. Now I have shot many high powered rifles in my age. I never knew that ballistics can be so messy. Eric put a gun to his mouth and literally blew his brains all over the ceiling. I mean *all over* there is a spot where him and Dylan died. Above that spot is a streak of blood that coats the white, styrafoam ceiling panels where they died.

Spent an hour and 1/2 in the library with the cops. Saw shit I never hope to see again. When I went into work later that day, I was in a fuck of a bad mood.

p.s. Collected some broken glass from the library. Put it in jar and took it to the local watering hole. Man, some fuckers have no sence of humor..."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Verse

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:49 am

The closest thing I can think of to the Port Arthur training video would be the after-shooting library tour video. I suppose they might also use graphic crime scene photos or footage for this purpose as well. Personally, I only agree with the decision to destroy the bio-hazard material, but I hold the belief that everything else should be preserved in some form, and perhaps some of the less controversial objects given the opportunity to be auctioned off to historically interested parties like myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
em81

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:46 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: very interesting. thank you for posting!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrkoolnerd

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:52 pm

lostmedia a old wikia has two
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:26 pm

em81 wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: very interesting. thank you for posting!

Hmm... you sure its real? Cause there is no info there which you cannot find in the "fire department" video of the inside of columbine after the killings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gonz

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:26 am

I don't know where to ask this, but I'm getting confused about when the Time article on the basement tapes was first released…

If you search in Time.com the issue is dated Dec 20, 1999. But if you read news article on it from 1999, all of them are dated around Dec 13, 1999, setting the article release on Dec 12, 1999.

Does anyone knows? I've never seen any Time issue, but maybe it has some section in the end summarizing what articles are going to be part of the next issue… or something, I dunno.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenn
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:34 am

Gonz wrote:

I don't know where to ask this, but I'm getting confused about when the Time article on the basement tapes was first released…

If you search in Time.com the issue is dated Dec 20, 1999. But if you read news article on it from 1999, all of them are dated around Dec 13, 1999, setting the article release on Dec 12, 1999.

Does anyone knows? I've never seen any Time issue, but maybe it has some section in the end summarizing what articles are going to be part of the next issue… or something, I dunno.

If you are asking the date the magazine was released? That was December 20, 1999. The date is at the top of the magazine.

Gonz

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:46 am

Yes, I know that. But what confuses me is the fact that one week before the magazine release (December 20, 99), everyone seems to have read the article yet and there are news accounts on it (December 13, 99).

So there are any possibilities that just that article, not the whole magazine, was released a week before on some way?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenn
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:01 am

Gonz wrote:
Yes, I know that. But what confuses me is the fact that one week before the magazine release (December 20, 99), everyone seems to have read the article yet and there are news accounts on it (December 13, 99).

So there are any possibilities that just that article, not the whole magazine, was released a week before on some way?

My guess is that the whole article wasn't released yet but that the magazine (Time) who was going to release it just gave a bit of a preview as what would be included in the article. Notice how these articles you posted only have small bits in them and not what the entire article included.

KitKat2013

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:54 pm

To be honest, I am not also not sure if we can believe they've destroyed it. Setting up some plot to stop copycats and requests. Or they really simply lost the tapes, because "It's locked up in the fault until..." was the first story to keep people (like us) away from it. Now, after 16 years, they simply might've had enough and pulled off that hoax.

But as someone mentioned in the end, there is no difference of pushing the release forwards forever or simply not possessing the tapes anymore..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Extanil

PostSubject: Destroyed Basement Tapes   Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:50 am

So, I decided to email the records manager at Jefferson County Sheriff's Office asking if the Basement tapes were actually destroyed. After a day or two I got this message back,"Sir,The Columbine related ‘basement tapes’ were destroyed." I don't know why they would destroy them honetsly, but they say that they have been destroyed. Very disappointing...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThoughtBox

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:03 pm

The tapes must have been converted to a digital format at some point and are probably archived still by Jeffco and the FBI. There are probably other copies floating about.
See, this way Jeffco can say "the basement tapes have been destroyed" and actually be telling the truth; they well may have been. But what they don't say is that digital copies of them were made and are extant.

“Despair is the price one pays for self-awareness. Look deeply into life, and you'll always find despair.” -- Irvin D. Yalom, MD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
virtual

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:21 pm

It's a lie to shut us the fuck up....even I sent them an e-mail about the tapes LOL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:17 am

SodaCanHalfwayOpen wrote:
The tapes must have been converted to a digital format at some point and are probably archived still by Jeffco and the FBI. There are probably other copies floating about.
See, this way Jeffco can say "the basement tapes have been destroyed" and actually be telling the truth; they well may have been.  But what they don't say is that digital copies of them were made and are extant.

It is possible, although I think the answers lie with the lawsuits. Perhaps it was simply easier for them to destroy it accoriding to locallegal procedures than mess around with the victim's families lawsuits to release them? IIRC the Rohrboughs in particular were vocal about this.

Can anyone with in-depth knowledge of US colorado law speak about this in legal terms? Caus eI think that's where the answers lie.

radaddio

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:15 pm

It's a corrupt, good ol boy system. The best way to get around it would be to find someone who wokred on the case outside of jeffco and see if they could leak it. There were over 20 different branches of law enforcement there that day. I think someone has to @have a digital copy on a hard drvie somewhere. Perhaps the best way tl gain access to the footage is to find out which persons in the involved agencies might have had access to it and see if they would be willing to leak it. Knowing what I do about folks in law enforcement, I know that someone has some kind of copy somewhere. Its not something they coumd ever officially come out with though, for fear of losing their job and possibly going to jail. Its just a matter of time, and asking the right people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenn
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes Destroyed   Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:54 pm

Note: There were a few different threads discussing how the Basement Tapes were destroyed. I have merged them all into this one thread.

Basement Tapes Destroyed
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next