Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

school massacre films/good documentaries

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
eli27

PostSubject: school massacre films/good documentaries   Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:21 am

I have read that Elephant is a good film about a school massacre, although haven't got round to watching it yet.

Also, I watched and read We Need To Talk About Kevin a while back and found both the film and the book amazing.

I just watched Raising Adam Lanza again, although I don't think it is particularly good.

I was wondering if there were any others? Or any good documentaries on Columbine or Sandy Hook?

Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: school massacre films/good documentaries   Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:49 am

Elephant has nice visuals... and nive visuals. Other than that, its little to no substance I'm sorry to say.

For featrue films I strongly suggest my own BulletTime (of course!), but also Zero Day.

Documentaries on Sandy Hook? there was one about the victims and survivors on youtube.

eli27

PostSubject: Re: school massacre films/good documentaries   Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:28 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Elephant has nice visuals... and nive visuals. Other than that, its little to no substance I'm sorry to say.

For featrue films I strongly suggest my own BulletTime (of course!), but also Zero Day.

Documentaries on Sandy Hook? there was one about the victims and survivors on youtube.

Zero Day trailer looks very good, and where can I find BulletTime?

Thanks.

ellie z

PostSubject: Re: school massacre films/good documentaries   Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:11 pm

I liked The Dirties, I saw it streaming on Netflix.

I haven't been able to watch any of the others yet.

I saw the library scene of Zero Day because during active shooter training at work, our instructors (who were police officers) showed us the scene and claimed it was actual Columbine footage! They thought it would have more impact that way.

I do want to see Zero Day though. And Elephant.

Does anyone have opinions on Bang Bang You're Dead? I haven't seen it. I just subscribed to a free month of Netflix DVD service and they're going to think I have issues because I'm using this opportunity to rent the school shooting movies I haven't seen yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
boringguy

PostSubject: Re: school massacre films/good documentaries   Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:33 pm

Eli, click on the link in Sabratha's signature and it will take you to it. I do recommend watching it, as I think it is one of the best films of this type.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eli27

PostSubject: Re: school massacre films/good documentaries   Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:54 pm

Just watched the trailer to Bang Bang You're Dead, and it looks pretty good. Plus I guess with 8 stars on IMDB you can't go wrong.

eli27

PostSubject: Re: school massacre films/good documentaries   Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:55 pm

Eli, click on the link in Sabratha's signature and it will take you to it. I do recommend watching it, as I think it is one of the best films of this type.

Oh yeah, thanks, how could I have missed that?!

Nightshiftstalker

PostSubject: Re: school massacre films/good documentaries   Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:52 pm

yo,

liked both "elephant" and "zero day".

gus van sant's quite "pittoresque" view combining artsy expression and "intellectual / philosophic ambition" (only my opinion) is quite impressive, i think.

zero day seems to me a bit like one could have expected from deleted basement tapes.
i really enjoyed watching it as one way to interprete "given (hard)facts" as well as some talented young actors - plus creating a dark and authentic atmosphere.
( - when i watched it, i could almmost feel their fear, anger and ambigous attempt(s) to testify their motives - sayin' a last "good bye" to their parents, former class mates, teachers, friends -)

they really tell their / plus (maybe) others story (/stories)...
like - their own thoughts of a promising future (without psycho-social crisis, cultural diversity / diversities (plus coming to terms with) and its expected failure.
- or (more general speaking) emotional "problems" - and (not) coping / giving up understanding "the others" and (potential) conflicts - and being accepted - or at least respected and going through the process of adolescence.
(my pathetic 5 minutes - do not take it as some kind of personal offence / ignorance, please.)

the cafeteria scene being voiced-over by a female voice (, that could have been patty nielsen) - is not only cynical, but really, really brutal - if one is as columbine-focussed as i have been while watching this movie.

when i first attempted to watch (and really concetrate on) "zero day" - i thought: what the heck? babbling without creating suspense plus really makin' a point.

seccond attempt - i really felt some kind of rush - and - well could not stop staring / did not want to stop.
(after having terminated it, following night mare and an almost overwhelming dark perspective (concerning columbine, present and reflecting former discussions, films, tracks reminding me of eric harris, dylan klebold - zero day - and followers - - plus desperate people like the or people i used to know / hang out /discussed with at school(s)), i drank some vodka and tried to not think too much about rampage(s), shooters and movies like the given ones, yo.

that said - i would prefer "zero day" - especially focussing on details like some mimics underlining / breaking up with their dialogs.

one has to judge for themselves, of course - however, i almost could have freaked out by not knowing about it - while reflecting columbine case as such and aftermath - although being quite privilleged (no zero tolerance, no death penalty - ...).

elephant seems to be more silent, maybe more respectful - but more open to interpreations condoning the search of a scape goat (media, music (...) mental "illness" / problems / critics on ttip / censorship itself - or discussing (im)possible was of coping with it - new massacres / crimes in general / changing laws - you name it - lobbies / their critics - and being manipulated by - whatever - make it happen, yo.

nevermind - only my very personal opinion...

(sorry for being way too pathetic as well as speculating and describe my own "experience" -... just an opinion, yo.)

in 2008 or 2009 there was a german movie bing quite unreflected and - afaik - superficial (do not remember the title - one of the protagonist called "fighter x", a german boarding school, teachers and their attitudes / actions towars /following massacres, attempts to reach students - and - (potential) consequences.
not a "zero hour" / "elephant" or "april showers" / (...) like (and likely expensive) production, but i liked it.

anyways - thanks for reading

greetz
nightshiftstalker

greetz
nightshiftstalker

(Unser Platz, Prinz Pi, Kompass ohne Norden)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MysteryMan

PostSubject: Re: school massacre films/good documentaries   Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:34 am

I recommend The class it's a Estonian movie and it's not as much known as Elephant, Zero day or Bang Bang. The plot is focusing on bullying and how it leads two teenager on the edge of madness. In my personal ranking this movie is above Zero day and Bang Bang which for me was boring. Here you have this movie on YT with english subtitles, enjoy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Archvile

PostSubject: Re: school massacre films/good documentaries   Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:43 am

I don't really think there is any good movies on the shooting, i've seen every movie on this subject and only Zero Day seems to be the one i'd recommend, it's not the best but works.. we see only what they recorded, which makes you wonder at the end why they did it and it's effective, the shooting scene is very realistic and intense, infact i've watched this movie with multiple people in the room and all of them started to shake and panic during the killing scene! I'd say that Andre and Calvin aren't nearly as interesting as Eric & Dylan though.

The best two documentaries would be Zero Hour, a lot of money went into making this, it's outdated so a lot of information isn't accurate, but it's a fun watch and the other one is a French documentary called The Columbine Killers (also known as Lundi Investigation) this one, for the most part isn't just talking about Eric and Dylan as if they were monsters, it gives them some respect and talks about them as humans, and goes into detail about how they were bullied and their position at the school, this was also before $David Cullen$ got involved so there is no interview with him. The music in this documentary is very unusual for this type of subject, but it really works and gives the documentary a unique feel. again a lot of the information here is outdated and inaccurate, but it's a good watch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wideawake

PostSubject: Re: school massacre films/good documentaries   Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:57 pm

I love Zero Day. It's not a documentary, simply a found-footage type movie inspired by the shooting. Elephant was...interesting. Bang Bang You're Dead is also a good movie. The Dirties was definitely neat as well.

Has anyone seen White Rabbit?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draw_It_White
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: school massacre films/good documentaries   Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:58 pm

Once again, I recommend Rudderless. I think the Columbiners in particular would enjoy this one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
LostHighway
Permanently Banned

PostSubject: Re: school massacre films/good documentaries   Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:02 pm

CARRIE 1976!!!!! My fav movie!! Beautiful beautiful movie. I have a poster of her covered in blood in her prom dress next to my bed ppl think I'm weird haha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Archvile

PostSubject: Re: school massacre films/good documentaries   Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:53 pm

I'm looking for four documentaries

1. British Virginia Tech documentary from 2008 that showed rare videos of Cho discussing Eric and Dylan.

2. Spanish (or another language) Columbine documentary that was illustrated with fantastic comic book style art that had rare interviews from library survivors, one of them said "Dylan yelled at Eric to stop" or something. It was hard to hear what people said because of the foreign language dubbing over the top.

3. School shooting documentary where there was an interview with a teacher who worked at the Arizona college Dylan was going to go to, who explained how he shot a bully in the head when he was a kid, but was released and managed to become a Arizona State professor.

4. CBS/NBC/ABC or another news network did a 'live' long docu on Columbine, in one scene they show Eric's webpage and a black and white photo 'of the week' of a man holding a hand gun and talk about the missed warning signs. It was narrated by a blonde journalist.

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: school massacre films/good documentaries   Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:39 pm

I'm looking for four documentaries

1. British Virginia Tech documentary from 2008 that showed rare videos of Cho discussing Eric and Dylan.

2. Spanish (or another language) Columbine documentary that was illustrated with fantastic comic book style art that had rare interviews from library survivors, one of them said "Dylan yelled at Eric to stop" or something. It was hard to hear what people said because of the foreign language dubbing over the top.

3. School shooting documentary where there was an interview with a teacher who worked at the Arizona college Dylan was going to go to, who explained how he shot a bully in the head when he was a kid, but was released and managed to become a Arizona State professor.

4. CBS/NBC/ABC or another news network did a 'live' long docu on Columbine, in one scene they show Eric's webpage and a black and white photo 'of the week' of a man holding a hand gun and talk about the missed warning signs. It was narrated by a blonde journalist.

Thank you!
Wow, I guess I wanna see these ones too, it's my first time hearing of these.

Archvile

PostSubject: Re: school massacre films/good documentaries   Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:29 pm

I had an idea, what if someone gathers all the news clips, documentaries and other interviews and compiles them into a big 3 to 4 hour documentary, but only adding in the facts and cutting out the unnecessary stuff and make an ultimate accurate Columbine documentary where as much of the evidence and interviews out there are all in one place. It could include stuff from the 11k that isn't part of any media with just a narrator talking over the top for those parts. It would be divided into different segments and be in somewhat chronological order.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: school massacre films/good documentaries   Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:04 pm

I had an idea, what if someone gathers all the news clips, documentaries and other interviews and compiles them into a big 3 to 4 hour documentary, but only adding in the facts and cutting out the unnecessary stuff and make an ultimate accurate Columbine documentary where as much of the evidence and interviews out there are all in one place. It could include stuff from the 11k that isn't part of any media with just a narrator talking over the top for those parts. It would be divided into different segments and be in somewhat chronological order.
That sounds phenomenal dude.

LeeTheFlea

PostSubject: Re: school massacre films/good documentaries   Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:00 pm

That sounds phenomenal dude.

Yep someone needs to make this but I'd imagine there'd be a lot of copyrights involved through all the interviews, documentaries, news clips etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

school massacre films/good documentaries
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1