Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Social Anxiety Disorder

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Do you have Social Anxiety Disorder?
 Yes
 No
View results
AuthorMessage
boringguy

PostSubject: Social Anxiety Disorder   Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:20 am

Social Anxiety Disorder is an anxiety disorder in which a person has a severe fear of social situations. Someone with SAD is excessively self-conscious during social situations, and has an intense fear of being judged or embarrassed in front of others. This causes them to experience severe anxiety when around other people. Symptoms of the anxiety include confusion, fast heartbeat, sweating, shaking, muscle tension, and an upset stomach. The anxiety is sometimes so severe that it can cause panic attacks. Affected people are usually anxious just being in the presence of others, but specific social situations can invoke more severe anxiety, including doing actions in front of others like speaking, eating, using a public toilet, or talking on the phone. Often times the anxiety is so bad that it can cause the person to avoid social situations altogether, or fear them weeks or months in advance. People with this disorder often know that the fear is unreasonable, but they can't get rid of it.

Social anxiety is the third most common mental disorder, following depression and alcohol dependence. It most commonly appears during adolescence or early adulthood.

There isn't a single known cause of this disorder, but research suggests that biological, psychological, and environmental factors may play a role in it's development.

To get diagnosed, you need to see your doctor. Social Anxiety Disorder can be successfully cured with a combination of medication and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

Do you have Social Anxiety Disorder? Whether you do or don't, feel free to use this thread to discuss Social Anxiety disorder in whatever way you please.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:51 am

I probably have the farthest possible thing to social anxiety.

I've no fear of scoial situations whatsoever (frankly not many fears in general). I've been known to be a very active and public speaker in my academic life. I've been an actor. I usually do well on oral exams, job interviews etc.

I do have a very limited emotional range and flat affect (thought trust me - you would never know. I'm an expert at hiding my flat afect and performing external signs of all the emotions I never experience).

boringguy

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:37 pm

That's interesting, Sabratha. I am basically the exact opposite. I have suffered with severe social anxiety ever since I was 12 or 13. I respect people like you who have high confidence in social situations, and I wish I had it.  

Last edited by boringguy on Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paradisedreams

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:48 am

Thanks for starting this topic. This will be a long ramble of a post, & will most likely be more than you'd care to know about.. like every other thing i've posted so far on here. Just thought I would apologize in advance. ;)

I was diagnosed with social anxiety when I was 17. Although, I was clearly showing signs of it long before that. It actually started when I was in 2nd grade (7-8 years old) where I would basically become a mute at school and always struggled to have even the shortest conversation with anyone, even my close school friends. But when I would go home I was literally a completely different kid. It got to the point where my parents thought I might have had a minor case of Autism. That was quickly ruled out, & I was eventually diagnosed with ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) when I was in the 3rd grade. We tried probably every medication for that and nothing really worked.

So, I went 2 or 3 years after that without taking or doing anything for it. But when I was about 11 or 12, I went back to see a counselor and they diagnosed me with depression after a few visits. Which had the same outcome as before: tried almost every medication and nothing seemed to work. I know medication isn't a simple miracle worker, but it really had no positive effect. A few years passed and those same types of symptoms seemed to worsen. I was almost 18 so I decided I should try and find out what's really going on. And I was diagnosed with social anxiety almost immediately.

This tends to be the go-to mental illness that everyone likes to loosely throw around when they feel the slightest hint of anxiousness. But damn, the real thing is probably one of the most draining things ever - physically and emotionally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ellie z

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:23 am

I can think back even to being very young and I think I was affected by it even then. I was in counseling for the first time in the 1st grade because I spent a lot of time complaining of stomach aches and going to the nurse's office at school and begging to stay home. I'd go to the doctor but nothing was wrong with me so finally they sent me to a counselor. It didn't help at all, she really only focused on my parents' divorce... it went nowhere.

I think when I was younger, up until high school age, all my behavior was assumed to be shyness I would grow out of. At some point my mom started questioning me about stuff like if anyone had done anything inappropriate to me and telling me she would believe me no matter what... My mom did try to figure out why I was so anti-social, anxious, and upset all the time but I didn't understand it myself and couldn't express it. I went to counselors a few times but it wasn't helpful. I had stuff going on in my life that was causing me to be depressed, unrelated to the anxiety stuff, and at that point the blame for my issues was all put on that.

What finally happened was I was put on Zoloft for depression for several years. I did actually pretty well for a while and decided maybe I really did grow out of it so I stopped taking it when I was like 19. It was not a good decision. It was horrible and I was barely functioning. Finally when I was 22 my mom took me into the doctor because I obviously wasn't going to deal with it myself.

It was at that point that it was labeled as social anxiety. I've been on medication since then, though it took a while to find a good combination. I'm better, but honestly I am still far from functioning "normally" and I just don't have the resources to try to get the kind of therapy that may be able to help. I'm kind of at a loss at this point.

My mom I think has finally realized that it's not something she can talk me out of. The thing is I understand it's not rational to feel a lot of what I feel. Knowing it's stupid doesn't keep me from getting unreasonably anxious over things like phone calls, emails, or literally just talking to someone. I think I've had enough panic attacks for my mom to understand I can't just push through it.

But pretty much everyone else just thinks I'm shy and dramatic. People like to say things like "everyone experiences anxiety you just have to do things anyway." If everyone genuinely experiences this kind of anxiety then I'd like to know how they get through the day without having an absolute breakdown multiple times. Like I seriously wish it were true and there was some secret to it, but I think most people just don't have any idea how severe it actually is.

So on a related note: does anyone know of any good "self help" resources for coping with social anxiety disorder for someone unable to seek treatment with a professional?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickfetus

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:08 am

I've never been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder cause in the country where I live it's almost like mental diseases didn't exist. I been to phsicologist and doctors and they tell that my problem is that I private myself from the pleasure of being around with people. They can't understand that I can't handle being around anyone that it makes me feel sick and insecure really nervous. Every time that I have to go outside it's the hardest thing and in the end of the day I'm in my room over thinking and feeling gross like I'm betraying myself for being outside my comfort.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paradisedreams

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:49 am

Sickfetus wrote:
I've never been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder cause in the country where I live it's almost like mental diseases didn't exist. I been to phsicologist and doctors and they tell that my problem is that I private myself from the pleasure of being around with people. They can't understand that I can't handle being around anyone that it makes me feel sick and insecure really nervous. Every time that I have to go outside it's the hardest thing and in the end of the day I'm in my room over thinking and feeling gross like I'm betraying myself for being outside my comfort.
Wow, i'm sorry. Sad I can definitely relate to most of those feelings to a certain extent. Have you ever tried any online support groups for situations like that? I know those online diagnosis survey things are nothing like the real thing. But hopefully they can help you get some prospective on what you're feeling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:03 am

boringguy wrote:
I respect people like you who have high confidence in social situations, and I wish I had it.

I'm not even sure its as much high confidence as its simply not expiriencing fear (and in generla not expiriencing a lot of emotions people usually do). Comes at a price, as you don't really experience much in the way of positive emotions either. Also keeping up appearances, not showing flat affect, purposely expressing emotions you don't really feel etc is a fuss at times

Sickfetus

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:24 am

I just got used and I have come to think it's just part of my personality. But the truth is it difficult to do everyday things as many depend on socializing. Thanks for the advice I will look for it n_n
Back to top Go down
View user profile
boringguy

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:40 pm

Paradisedreams, I agree. It is normal to get a little nervous every now and then, but really having SAD is pure hell. I would never wish it on anyone.

Elliez, I understand. I have made several attempts to "put myself out there", but I always end up feeling worse and worse. I feel like this disorder is a cave that I was dropped off at and got lost in. And every time I try to find my way out of it, I get lost deeper and deeper in it. It annoys me that a lot of people don't understand that Social Anxiety is a real mental illness. You can't just tell a person with it to "get out there" or stop feeling anxious. That's like telling a clinically depressed person to feel happy. It would be really nice if it was that easy, but unfortunately, it's not.

As for online resources, I would recommend [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. It is a full online program designed to treat SAD with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. The doctor who designed it struggled with SAD for many years. I haven't had the time yet to try it myself, but I've read a lot of good reviews on it. Also, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is a really helpful support group.

Sickfetus, this disorder is not part of who you are. SAD is a mental illness that is treatable. I'm sorry to hear that the health providers in your area are so incompetent when it comes to this disorder. You should look into considering the program that I talked about above or another one like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickfetus

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:05 pm

Thanks for the information boringguy I really appreciate it. I will check those sites I never thought of searching for online support.
I wonder how you guys deal with this to do your daily things like going to study or like ordinary stuff?

If some of you take meds  do you consider that they work?

(sorry for the crappy English, it's not my first language)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
boringguy

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:43 am

Sickfetus wrote:
Thanks for the information boringguy I really appreciate it. I will check those sites I never thought of searching for online support.
I wonder how you guys deal with this to do your daily things like going to study or like ordinary stuff?

If some of you take meds  do you consider that they work?

(sorry for the crappy English, it's not my first language)

You're welcome.

I know someone with social anxiety who takes medication for it. He told me that the meds help with the symptoms of the anxiety, not the anxiety itself. For example, it may lower your heart rate or make you sweat less. It can help if you take it while your anxiety is being treated, but it won't get rid of it on its own.

Last edited by boringguy on Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ellie z

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:36 am

Sickfetus wrote:

If some of you take meds do you consider that they work?

I'm on medication and it helps but it certainly doesn't just make the problem go away. I function better with them but I'm not "normal" still. I should be in some kind of therapy but I'm not for a variety of reasons. Medication isn't a permanent solution but it's easier and cheaper to get (for me at least).

boringguy wrote:

He told me that the meds help with the symptoms of the anxiety, not the anxiety itself. For example, it may lower your heart rate or make you sweat less.

Honestly I've never put much thought into beyond being glad the medication helps, but that is probably a fair distinction. I do still feel anxious about things but I can deal with that better; I've been on the medication long enough that it's hard to say exactly what's different than before. It's easier to deal with anxiety and even push yourself more into anxiety inducing situations when you can actually breathe and aren't on the verge of passing out.

Even with the medication I take daily there is just so much I can't deal with. A lot of things will still give me panic attacks.

I will say that in my experience xanax, which I have a "only when needed" prescription for is much different. That really does make the anxiety go away. I took that stuff to get through speeches in college and did great. One day after a speech as I left the building a reporter asked if I'd answer some questions and I straight up ended up giving my opinion to a stranger with a camera and was on the news that night. I was horrified afterwards but fine when it happened.

But I do not understand doctors prescribing that as a daily medication. I take it only when I really need to because it affects me so much. Life may be easier if I took it everyday but I'd feel like I was constantly high/in an altered state of mind. I may could do more things if I was drunk all the time too but that doesn't seem like a good solution... xanax has a similar affect (for me anyway).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:29 pm

I can relate to feeling anxiety in some social situations

Interesting how 37 people here said yes ...

Last edited by sororityalpha on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gasolinechild

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:08 pm

Have it. Badly. Didn't used to, was worsened by some stuff that happened 5-6 years back. It's improved but is still there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eli27

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:01 am

As much as I hate 99% of social situations, they don't make me anxious.

Freezingmoon

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:54 am

I've suffered from severe social anxiety since I was about 5 years old.  I've also suffered from depression.  

A few months ago I inadvertently discovered that the medication called "gabapentin" (prescribed to me for neuropathy pain) helps my social anxiety.  It makes me feel like I actually want to talk to people and be around them, something I have never felt my whole life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMadMalkavian

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:43 pm

I've been diagnosed with general anxiety. I have a ridiculous fear of talking to people that could possibly make me feel uncomfortable. For example. I get nervous sending customer service e-mails and being on the phone terrifies me. You could only imagine how I am face to face with people. I've been taking an OTC amino acid called GABA to help with my anxiety issues. It's effectiveness is scientifically debatable, but I feel it really helps me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sscc
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:46 am

[/]

Last edited by sscc on Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Magnaphoria

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:28 am

Do you get diagnosed by a psychiatrist or psichologist?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sscc
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:34 am

[/]

Last edited by sscc on Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vulnerableeyes

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:53 pm

Unfortunately yes. Been diagnosed when I was 13. Always had problems at school and I still suffer from other mental problems (BPD). But it's better to face your fears, because isolation makes it worse. I would say, that I like being alone and think before I talk or write something. Maybe that's not even a bad thing. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThoughtBox

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Thu May 26, 2016 12:16 pm

I feel like I do to a certain extent, but not meeting all of the DSM-5 criteria. I do often drink though before and when I am going out to a bar or restaurant or movie or whatever, because I don't like the crowds.

“Despair is the price one pays for self-awareness. Look deeply into life, and you'll always find despair.” -- Irvin D. Yalom, MD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scypek

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:01 pm

This is interesting. I always had an impression that almost everyone on the internet has social anxiety, but I've never seen a poll confirming it before. I was hesitant to vote "yes" myself but then I remembered that once I needed my friend's help because I was afraid to open a door because I there was going to be people behind the door and I wasn't sure if it was the door I was supposed to open, and opening the wrong door was unacceptable. I don't really feel like I care about my reputation, I have a very high self-esteem and ideally I would feel like acting odd and non-conformist just to mess with people, but then there's a situation like getting up in a lecture hall and it doesn't feel embarassing to do it, it feels stupid like stepping off a cliff. I feel like the world will literally shatter if I say something inappropriate, because that's just not how the world works. The world is not scripted to deal with that. I only ever act weird on the internet, so that everyone is far away and I'm distanced from any spontaneous human combustion I may cause.

View user profile
TheSpiral
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:35 pm

I have SAD 100%. I would write something about it but it would just be rehashing the main post by boringguy.

Now everybody dancing, the dance of the dead
The dance of the dead, the dance of the dead
Back to top Go down
View user profile
X-Raided

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:40 pm

I used to have it but now it's all but gone.

I really had to push myself into uncomfortable situations. I f***** up a lot, but I learned from my mistakes. I figured I might as well f*** up and grow from it, because I had nothing to lose.

Two things really helped me with this.

1. I had a few friends, and whenever they interacted with others, I joined in. At first I didn't talk, but others reached out to me and assimilated me into their groups

2. I had and still do have a friend who is an absolute jerk. But I learned from him. I could be assertive and abrasive. I went into any situation with the confidence that I could tell anyone to f*** off, and I learned that from this friend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Coping and Faking it   Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:33 pm

Does anyone ever go through multiple situations where, you get really nervous infront of people, you start to feel flushed and you're freaking out inside but you cope by actually coming off as cold, your voice is stern and your eyes are dead because you're just trying not to let your nerves get to you and run away. So in the end, people might think you're rude and you have no personality.

My working environment is that where I will meet all kinds of people, speak to them and all that and come off cheery and high spirited. When I review the day it pains me how much I fake smiling and being warm so much because it's really not who I am or, I am naturally fatigued from being so friendly. I'm mildly friendly but not too over the top. Sometimes I wonder if people can detect the fakeness in my smile/laugh and, if people ever thought I was rude as hell because I don't smile because I'm just trying not to freak out because I am self!conscious!!

Amarantha

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:18 pm

shades wrote:
So in the end, people might think you're rude and you have no personality.

I think there are a lot of ways to be misunderstood like this. For example, when I'm around a bunch of people who have some projects to start together or are enthusiastic about something, I just keep my poker face; sometimes I try to fake a laugh or mumble a comment but from their perspective my disinterest is clearer than the sunlight. However, I manage to keep what I could call a 'good reputation' by helping them silently when they are in need of something. I'm ghostly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
staker steve

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:48 am

im pretty sure i have Social Anxiety Disorder i was never good with talking to ppl when i was in elmentry i could never talk to anyone. when anyone would say hi to me i would always wave unless i had to talk to anyone but i didnt talk to much.when i reached grade 10 i got alot confedence to talk ppl but i had alot of Anxiety of what ppl thoght of me i was always under the impression that no one wanted to be around the wierd kid.around the same time i had crush on a girl but i never had the confidence to tell her how i feel when i got to grade 12 i skiped class alot to hangout with her in the libery beacuse she told me she was studying there for couple weeks she catched on how i felt after seeing her more and more and we ended up dating for 3 mouths when her mother called the cops on me for breaking down from the news.but ever since i dated her i had confidence to talk to girls. i always felt more comfortable being around girls then boys i always felt like i was making up for tiem or being somebody eles around them but with girls they always shared the same feelings and thoughts that i had its a shame i always ended up sleeping with them i wouldnt talk or see them or talk to them again for that reason its a habit.soon school was over and i didnt want want to go to College or University beacsue beacuse i had so much Anxiety around ppl not to mansion i lost most of my friends due to my behavior with that girl so i spent the remaining year dating a girl until i couldnt deal with the responsibilities of being a bf plus i was just depresed with how life was going then i spent a year alone in my moms basement until i said i dont like how my life was turning out and applyed at blade runners mostly to motivate myself to make friends im now trying apply myself in any kind of retail place thats not so busy but hopfully gets me talking to ppl i was never diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder but i have read stuff like this that sounds alot like me

H311ish.B3ast

PostSubject: Re: Social Anxiety Disorder   Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:00 pm

Oh man am I glad to see this thread!! Yes, I have anxiety bad. I hate going out most of the time...anywhere, though I know I have to sometimes. It makes me feel sick. The anxiety also makes me very frustrated, having to combat the fear with the want to socialize. I always fear the worst in social situations, or somehow someone will get the better of me. Its sounds so stupid. I can relate to just about everyone who has posted on this topic. It's like having a scared child version of yourself on the inside, crying and screaming all the time with no help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Social Anxiety Disorder
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next