Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Opinions on substance use.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Falcolus

PostSubject: Opinions on substance use.   Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:35 am

I would be interested in what peoples views are on drugs?

I personally don't think drugs are very good for your body, for example most drugs have nasty side effects. After all drugs are not natural parts of our diet (so is a lot of things we consume though). But it is interesting how something so small can become the defining point in peoples lives. As for Eric and Dylan, I wonder if they had been "stoners" then they would have had a different outlook on things? Then again the shooting did take place on 4/20.

eli27

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:49 am

I think weed should be legalised worldwide. It is nowhere near as bad for you as alcohol, and can help cancer patients. The only reason it was illegalised in the first place was for politics and to control Mexican immigrants, not because it actually has negative effects on health. It is a naturally occuring plant, and we should have a right to it.

Also, I am not against substance use in general. I think that using drugs is fine as long as it is the users decision, it is for them to decide what they wish to do with their life. However, dealing drugs is in my opinion a problem, because this is effecting others. I think the same for all crime, anything that only physically effects yourself should be legal, if it physically and negatively effects others, it should be illegal. For me, I do not wish to live past a certain age, so I am fine with substance use because I have no desire to take actions in order to preserve my long term health.

Falcolus

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:09 am

I think that drugs like weed can be used for good and bad purposes, such as medical reasons and the bad being with the side effects that some people can get. I think that addictive drugs are bad when used out of moderation, such as alcohol. I think that people can make mistakes and shouldn't have access to be able to make those mistakes. So much like you I think that as long as it effects your self only then thats fine, but what about the families of the crack heads? Those people shouldn't have to suffer from someone else's mistakes.

deathmedic

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:07 am

Define drugs please.
Marijuana... Should be legal... TBH I don't count that as a drug.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eli27

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:41 am

deathmedic wrote:
Define drugs please.
Marijuana... Should be legal... TBH I don't count that as a drug.

a medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body

deathmedic

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:13 am

Well thats broad... You can classify Aspirin in there, I'm sure they took aspirin.. .So let's blame aspirin!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eli27

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:33 am

deathmedic wrote:
Well thats broad... You can classify Aspirin in there, I'm sure they took aspirin.. .So let's blame aspirin!!!

It is broad. It doesn't have to be specific, you can say anything you want about any substance. If you want to talk about asprin then go for it.

eli27

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:36 am

Falcolus wrote:
I would be interested in what peoples views are on drugs?

I personally don't think drugs are very good for your body, for example most drugs have nasty side effects. After all drugs are not natural parts of our diet (so is a lot of things we consume though). But it is interesting how something so small can become the defining point in peoples lives. As for Eric and Dylan, I wonder if they had been "stoners" then they would have had a different outlook on things? Then again the shooting did take place on 4/20.

I always wondered if 4/20 was a coincidence or not? Also, Eric was on a medication for 6 weeks prior but it gave him suicidal/homosidal thoughts, so they swapped it to another brand. Maybe the second medication could have had a similar effect to the first and it was in his blood during the shooting. Could this have had an impact?

Juicy Jazzy
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:13 am

Remember the attack was supposed to happen on April 19 (the day before) but there was a delay in getting ammo. It was a complete coincidence that the shooting was on the 20th instead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eli27

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:22 am

Juicy Jazzy wrote:
Remember the attack was supposed to happen on April 19 (the day before) but there was a delay in getting ammo. It was a complete coincidence that the shooting was on the 20th instead.

Oh right, I was unaware that it was supposed to happen on the 19th.

ellie z

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:31 pm

Using a very broad definition of drug, I have a wide variety of feelings on them.

I can't condemn ALL drugs because many of them have positive benefits that outweigh the negatives. For example, I am on drugs that some people have very strong negative feelings about (SSRI) but if they were illegal my life would be far more difficult. I also have a prescription for xanax, which I'm told you can make a profit on if you want to sell it. Then there are OTC drugs for allergies, pain relievers, etc. that are mostly only a problem if you misuse them.

With these drugs, misuse or overuse is when they have negative consequences for most people. Some drugs they should be more careful who they prescribe them to, like people going through xanax or prescription pain pills like candy.

Marijuana, I do not think should be illegal. It being illegal causes more issues than the drug itself does. Ending up a felon for having some weed is going to destroy your life more than just smoking weed is. I've personally witnessed this happen to someone over one joint. Even if you just lose your job over a drug test and don't get into legal trouble, it's not the actual drug affecting your life. Now if it's affecting your job performance then sure that's fair to be fired, learn some moderation. But the same can be said for alcohol consumption and that's not illegal.

Harder drugs... I don't really know enough about different ones to hate them all equally and fairly. The one I know about personally is meth. My ex-fiance ended up being a meth addict. That drug is a fucking nightmare for everyone who cares about the addict, not just the addict themselves.

I don't know what the solution is. I know in my ex's case his parents were addicts and I feel like the foster care system really failed him. I think different people have different reasons they end up addicts but you can't really just say if that's what they chose leave them to it.

It's also incredibly hard to find help even for people looking for it. My ex did actually go to rehab when we were able to find one a few hours away, but we couldn't find a detox first. He got kicked out after only two days. He did it on purpose but I wonder if he'd been able to get into detox if that would have gone differently. The entire experience with him made me really angry about the lack of these kinds of resources.

I'm still really affected by all this because it didn't happen long ago. I'm mad at my ex over everything he did but I do still worry about him. He's homeless and unemployed and I don't know what all he's doing to get drugs. I worry he'll end up dead or in prison at some point.

So I'm not at all unbiased here. I don't think these drugs should be legal because people are ruining their own lives and other people's lives. But putting addicts in jail is not a good solution. We need better resources for people who want to stop and don't know how. Of course preventing them from ever starting would be preferable but I don't know how to do that either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
boringguy

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:31 pm

I think aside from the flaws with pharmaceutical companies, pharmaceutical drugs are a good thing.

I hate Alcohol. It is responsible for more deaths and pain, physically and emotionally, than any other drug. When someone drinks it irresponsibly or becomes dependent on it, it can destroy families and end lives. Should it be banned? I don't think so. Obviously prohibition doesn't work, and plenty of people drink responsibly. There needs to be better policies regarding the awareness and treatment of alcohol abuse and dependency. Better resources for people who have parents/spouses/children with these issues would also help. I just wish alcohol never existed.

Weed is a relatively harmless drug. It isn't a gateway drug. You never hear about anyone abusing their child or spouse or killing someone(including themselves) because of it. The government causes all the issues with weed by ruining the lives of people who possess or sell it. It should be legalized. At the very least, the charges for possessing and/or selling it should be reduced, especially in the U.S. The amount of people in jail and the amount of time some of them are spending for owning a little bit of weed is insane. Not to mention how huge of a waste of money keeping them imprisoned is. The "War on drugs" has been an absolute failure, and it's time to end it.

Last edited by boringguy on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaptainMidnight

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:39 pm

I consider myself a hedonist,so drugs are no problem if they don't make you a full retard or a scumbag.After all,anything overused is bad.

I'll take your brain to another dimension
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sabratha

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:51 am

Never been addicted to anything, save maybe green tea.

I don't smoke tobacco or weed. Used to smoke some cigs as a teenager for maybe 2 years in HS, but afterwardsI had nobody to smoke with and gave it up without any hassles, as I was never addicted.

I drink some alcochol, but as far as central Europe goes it is very mild use. A beer or two every month. Maybe some vodka during some event, but its not frequent at all.

Prescription drugs? Tried a series of over the counter pain-relief drugs, then some prescription drugs for the really violent, splitting headaches I've been having for the past few years. Nothing helps (including specialized anti-migraine drugs, so whatever it is its not migraines), save 100mg active Ketonal forte which helps a tiny bit.

Ketonal forte is a strong drug not fit for prolonged usage at all, so I use it only in cases when the pain prevents me from sleeping for several days.

Falcolus

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:34 am

deathmedic wrote:

Yes technically asprin is a drug. It is a bit broad, but people can get addicted to many types of drugs.

Draw_It_White
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:20 pm

I'm a quite heavy user of alcohol. I smoke cigs but not weed. Anything that is addictive that I have done seems to get the better of me - gambling another but I've got that one under control these days.

So for that reason I've never really dabbled with drugs aside from a couple of joints and speed once when I was in my late teens.

I've no problem with people who take drugs though - it's their life and I'm certainly not in a position to criticise anyone else's lifestyle choices.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Archvile

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:12 pm

It's strange but i'm 24 and have managed to avoid alcohol, drugs and cigarettes my entire life, I just never found a need for it, and never really saw it as benefiting me. I was surrounded by people in my family who were drunk and stoned all the time, or getting aggressive/paranoid from whatever they were taking, so it's probably what turned me away.. I have no idea how it feels to be high or drunk. I may be one of the only people at my age who can actually say that.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:28 pm

Interesting enough, most mass murderers are SOBER when they go on their rampage

Back to top Go down
View user profile
astrospace92

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:55 am

I believe most people can use drugs recreationally.
I believe some people think they can use drugs recreationally.
I believe a lot of people should just stay away from all substances altogether.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wideawake

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:04 am

I genuinely think alcohol is one of the biggest problems. I have often said to my coworkers that alcohol is the last socially acceptable addiction. You can't even smoke a cigarette anymore without someone jumping your ass, but go ahead, drink a couple (dozen) beers and drive on home. No big deal.

My own family is a perfect example. I rarely drink and use no recreational drugs, but I do smoke cigarettes. My entire family has lectured me for years over this. Then I got a divorce and am raising my son alone, which makes me a bit of an outcast. However, over this past Christmas, as I was getting lectured by my grandmother and aunts about how "irresponsible" I am for being divorced, smoking and (gasp!) having tattoos, my cousin and her husband steadily drank throughout the entire 5+ hour event. They then got into the car with their one-year-old and drove home and nobody said a word. Meanwhile, my grandma was yelling at me across the living room that I was trying to get my 10-year-old killed by letting him play American football.

When I mentioned to my parents that my cousin and her husband had drank far too much to drink if they were going to be driving, particularly with a child in the car, they told me they hadn't noticed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LPorter101

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:10 am

My chain-smoking, booze-swilling, cocaine-snorting aunt used to tell me all the time that I needed to do something about my weight - as if I didn't know that already. She used to make nasty comments to me in front of everyone at family dinners.

Fuck hypocrisy.

Ivan
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:46 am

It depends. Do I think taking amphetamines is wrong? Yes. Do I believe smoking marijuana is wrong? No.

Essentially I believe taking hard drugs that harm you is wrong but smoking lighter drugs as a stress reliever is perfectly fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smiggles94

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:05 am

I take cocaine and cannabis.
I don't think anyone should decide what substances I put inside my body but me.
I will not be controlled !.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wirely

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Wed May 31, 2017 5:05 pm

I view drugs as tools. As such, drugs are not inherently good or bad. It depends on the context in which they are being used. Personally I think all drugs should be legal period. On the basis that people should be free to decide what to do with their own bodies including what they put into their bodies. Plus I tend to be very critical of the popular notion that the government should somehow protect people from themselves. Obviously a lot of drug use that goes on in the world is bad. I do consider drug use that gets to the point of addiction to be unhealthy. I have had a fair amount of experience with drugs, but will not elaborate on that here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Moonshadow
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:02 pm

I think the addiction is what makes the difference.
Of course, it is good to be able to enjoy ourselves without substances, but most of us are not saints, I think Twisted Evil

I used to get drunk quite often, also using alcohol to ease stress. This is not something I am proud of. I am still not a teetotaler, but I haven't used alcohol to compensate something else (anger, isolation, depression and so on) for a very long time.

Earlier, I abused prescription drugs. I had a special recipe for "dreaming with open eyes", but I had not done it for more than 10 years now.

Smoking cigarettes is something I cannot understand. What is it good for? Tried it myself, had a terrible taste, did not experience any effects in mood or otherwise... It seems to be nothing else than spending money to destroy one's health (and the environment's). When I was a child, I did loathe that every adult smoked in my environment. They say even smokers don't like swallowing smoke from someone else's cigarettes, so...

When it comes to drugs, I have very mixed emotions.
I have read many studies, concerning that cannabis and certain hallucinogenes might be good for certain cancer patients, but really don't know what to think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
21stcenturyreality

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:53 pm

Drug addiction is bad, the War on Drugs is worse.

sitnwatchitburn

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:49 pm

If they want to use drugs, self harm, drink or whatever then let them. We're all gonna die anyway so do what you want because nothing matters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidEr

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:02 am

sitnwatchitburn wrote:
If they want to use drugs, self harm, drink or whatever then let them. We're all gonna die anyway so do what you want because nothing matters.
So if your brother was self harming, you'd just let him do it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:36 pm

I have never smoked, or used drugs. Have had every opportunity, just never felt the need. I have seen the sad results that drugs can cause if abused.

My first child was to be delivered drug free, came to found out after 8+ hours of active labor, my pelvis was to narrow. My baby went into distress, so I had to have an emergency Caesarian. After the effects of the epidural anesthesia wore off, I refused to take the pain med's because I was breast feeding. Second child was also delivered by Caesarian. I refused the pain med's offered that time as well. My husband actually begged me to take them as he couldn't stand to see me in pain. But in my opinion being groggy and half out of it never seemed like a good idea with a newborn.

Back in March I had to have emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder, they also found and repaired a baseball sized Hernia in my lower abdomen. Mostly likely due to weakened abdominal walls cause by the two C-Sections. I was in the hospital for a week and was in a significant amount of pain. The kind of pain that makes you physically sick to your stomach.  Yet I would only break down and take the high dose pain med's when I could no longer handle the pain on my own. Not trying to come off as a hard ass. I have just never been much on taking anything that impairs my thinking capabilities.

Same for alcohol, I'm not much of a drinker. Only on the rarest of rare occasions will I have a drink or two. I believe I have been well and truly drunk only four times in my life. The last time I got drunk is still talked about at family get together's. Apparently it was an epic event. Thankfully I have blocked the entire episode from my mind.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
                                                                                         -Friedrich Nietzsche

I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other.
               -Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1Mare1
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on substance use.   Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:25 pm

I never tried nicotine, I just don't seem to find any need in it. I only tried alcohol twice, and never got tipsy, let alone drunk.

If people want to do drugs, let them. Let them learn the consequences of them, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Opinions on substance use.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next