Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Definition of Sleep Disorders.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jenn
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Definition of Sleep Disorders.    Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:58 pm

A sleep disorder, or somnipathy, is a medical disorder of the sleep patterns of a person or animal. Some sleep disorders are serious enough to interfere with normal physical, mental, social and emotional functioning. Polysomnography and actigraphy are tests commonly ordered for some sleep disorders.

Disruptions in sleep can be caused by a variety of issues, from teeth grinding (bruxism) to night terrors. When a person suffers from difficulty falling asleep and/or staying asleep with no obvious cause, it is referred to as insomnia.[1]

Sleep disorders are broadly classified into dyssomnias, parasomnias, circadian rhythm sleep disorders involving the timing of sleep, and other disorders including ones caused by medical or psychological conditions and sleeping sickness. Some common sleep disorders include sleep apnea (stops in breathing during sleep), narcolepsy and hypersomnia (excessive sleepiness at inappropriate times), cataplexy (sudden and transient loss of muscle tone while awake), and sleeping sickness (disruption of sleep cycle due to infection). Other disorders include sleepwalking, night terrors and bed wetting. Management of sleep disturbances that are secondary to mental, medical, or substance abuse disorders should focus on the underlying conditions.

source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: Re: Definition of Sleep Disorders.    Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:25 pm

Funny story (not really) All of my life I could sleep through just about anything until 3 years ago. I started taking Chantix to stop smoking and while It did quash my desire to smoke it also left me unable to sleep for more than an hour or two at a time. Even now after almost 3 years since I stopped taking it, Boom ever hour or so just like clockwork I'm wide awake. Initially my doctor's reaction was to prescribe Ambien, while it did help me fall asleep I would still wake up every hour or two and bonus, leave me feeling groggy in the morning. So fast forward to now, the only thing that I've found to help is various doses of Melatonin and that is hit or miss at best. God what I wouldn't give for a full nights sleep!

Definition of Sleep Disorders.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1