Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
astrospace92

PostSubject: Re: Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric   Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:27 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
The more I read about SK the more she rubs me the wrong way.
I've said it in another thread but Sue comes across as very insincere to me.

Multiple times in the book and her interviews she repeats the same trite and cliché metaphors. Her use of flowery language really distracts from what she's saying and to me makes it sounds like a piece of literature, a story. And in my opinion further adds to the idea that she deep deep down is still in denial

What do you think of the lengths she goes to to blame and blast Eric?
She says she doesn't blame him but everything else she says proves that she does and sees him as one thoroughly bad seed that led her baby into destruction and death.

I think she's treading on dangerous ground, because lets face it, the only people who will ever truly understand her are other school shooter / mass shooter relatives. She's further ostracising the Harris family, as far as I'm concerned. We can all point fingers and blame Wayne and Kathy, but I feel Sue's book is going reignite the hatred towards Wayne and Kathy so they can't move on. I wouldn't be surprised if Sue was the one encouraging them not to come forward.

Why was Sue the one who gave permission for the tapes to be destroyed. I think she knows it would show Dylan's true colours and destroy everything she's done to help perpetuate the media myth of Dylan being an "innocent" participant.

I also believe her book is going to ruffle feathers in the mental health community, she's blaming it on depression specifically. Depression, let alone other psychiatric disorders are far misunderstood as it is. Now, people are going to be stigmatising people even more thinking their capable of mass murder simply for having depression. Depression does not cause someone to shoot up their classmates, Sue!

Sidenote: I'm skeptical about Sue's motives, the incidences surrounding her divorce and the fact that Tom hasn't commented at all, to me speaks a thousand words.

I agree with some of what you said.  I think Tom doesn't speak out simply because of what Sue said.  He is internalizing his pain/possibly trying to forget what happened.  I think he wants to remember Dylan the way he was growing up instead of the way he died.  I don't blame him for that.  Sue seems to be one of those people that thinks everything is logical and needs to be dealt with so she is trying to share her feelings and thoughts.  My parents are very similar.  My dad prefers to keep everything inside and my mom is the opposite.  I do think Sue kept a lot of things inside of herself for a long time.  When I saw her on 20/20 shaking like a leaf and holding back tears I didn't see a person who was trying to just make a penny or stir up trouble...she is a victim too and she deserves a right to share her story too.  I don't agree with all of what is in her book but I did enjoy reading it.

Whilst I agree, I really believe she's still in denial to a certain degree.
I hope we'll hear more from her so certain things can be cleared up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric   Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:51 pm

Multiple times in the book and her interviews she repeats the same trite and cliché metaphors. Her use of flowery language really distracts from what she's saying and to me makes it sounds like a piece of literature, a story. And in my opinion further adds to the idea that she deep deep down is still in denial

She says she doesn't blame him but everything else she says proves that she does and sees him as one thoroughly bad seed that led her baby into destruction and death.

I think she's treading on dangerous ground, because lets face it, the only people who will ever truly understand her are other school shooter / mass shooter relatives. She's further ostracising the Harris family, as far as I'm concerned. We can all point fingers and blame Wayne and Kathy, but I feel Sue's book is going reignite the hatred towards Wayne and Kathy so they can't move on. I wouldn't be surprised if Sue was the one encouraging them not to come forward.

Why was Sue the one who gave permission for the tapes to be destroyed. I think she knows it would show Dylan's true colours and destroy everything she's done to help perpetuate the media myth of Dylan being an "innocent" participant.

I also believe her book is going to ruffle feathers in the mental health community, she's blaming it on depression specifically. Depression, let alone other psychiatric disorders are far misunderstood as it is. Now, people are going to be stigmatising people even more thinking their capable of mass murder simply for having depression. Depression does not cause someone to shoot up their classmates, Sue!

Sidenote: I'm skeptical about Sue's motives, the incidences surrounding her divorce and the fact that Tom hasn't commented at all, to me speaks a thousand words.

I agree with some of what you said.  I think Tom doesn't speak out simply because of what Sue said.  He is internalizing his pain/possibly trying to forget what happened.  I think he wants to remember Dylan the way he was growing up instead of the way he died.  I don't blame him for that.  Sue seems to be one of those people that thinks everything is logical and needs to be dealt with so she is trying to share her feelings and thoughts.  My parents are very similar.  My dad prefers to keep everything inside and my mom is the opposite.  I do think Sue kept a lot of things inside of herself for a long time.  When I saw her on 20/20 shaking like a leaf and holding back tears I didn't see a person who was trying to just make a penny or stir up trouble...she is a victim too and she deserves a right to share her story too.  I don't agree with all of what is in her book but I did enjoy reading it.

I have watched all of the interviews I could get my hands on that Sue has given over the past few months and just pull my hair out. The interviewers all ask the same questions over and over. I would love for someone to do like an open QA so that others can ask her questions. IDK I am just tired of hearing the same stuff over and over.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
astrospace92

PostSubject: Re: Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric   Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:39 pm

I have watched all of the interviews I could get my hands on that Sue has given over the past few months and just pull my hair out.  The interviewers all ask the same questions over and over.  I would love for someone to do like an open QA so that others can ask her questions.  IDK I am just tired of hearing the same stuff over and over.

Me too, I mean, in retrospect I can't really blame her for repeating her answers word for word, one semantic slip and people tear her apart.
An Open Q&A would be a great idea, like you said.

What would you ask her?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draw_It_White
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric   Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:58 pm

It would be interesting but very unfair. You see politicians who are trained for that sort of thing tripping up and saying things they don't fully mean or people twisting their words.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PaintItBlack
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric   Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:04 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.],
Would you share more of your thoughts on the divorce?I'd love to hear you elaborate further.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Love
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric   Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:12 pm

I think that Susan can't be completely objective, because Dylan is her son. A loving mother always (even unconsciously) will protect her child. Her mind will always find workarounds, regardless of the evidence.

Fatheroftwo
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric   Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:08 am

I think that Susan can't be completely objective, because Dylan is her son. A loving mother always (even unconsciously) will protect her child. Her mind will always find workarounds, regardless of the evidence.

add in the fact that most everyone from E&D's friends to the FBI leaned heavily toward's Eric as the "alpha" and bearer of blame.. of course Sue is going to follow suit.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BlackandWhite

PostSubject: Re: Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric   Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:43 am

add in the fact that most everyone from E&D's friends to the FBI leaned heavily toward's Eric as the "alpha" and bearer of blame..  of course Sue is going to follow suit.

I don't understand how Eric's parents could just ignore all of this for all this time and not even try to refute some of the claims made against their son. They could've written a book, or made some sort of written statement, if they didn't want to do public speaking like Sue. Or do they agree with the whole Eric was an evil psychopath who led Dylan astray narrative as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scarletmoon

PostSubject: Re: Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric   Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:19 am

add in the fact that most everyone from E&D's friends to the FBI leaned heavily toward's Eric as the "alpha" and bearer of blame..  of course Sue is going to follow suit.

I don't understand how Eric's parents could just ignore all of this for all this time and not even try to refute some of the claims made against their son. They could've written a book, or made some sort of written statement, if they didn't want to do public speaking like Sue. Or do they agree with the whole Eric was an evil psychopath who led Dylan astray narrative as well.

I would like to believe that they do not believe their son was a psychopath, he so obviously wasn't. I don't think they will ever speak out about Eric, they just want to leave this tragedy in the past. I remember reading somewhere that his mom wanted to but, Wayne didn't want her to. I wish they would speak out and clear up some misconceptions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BlackandWhite

PostSubject: Re: Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric   Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:03 am

I would like to believe that they do not believe their son was a psychopath, he so obviously wasn't. I don't think they will ever speak out about Eric, they just want to leave this tragedy in the past. I remember reading somewhere that his mom wanted to but, Wayne didn't want her to. I wish they would speak out and clear up some misconceptions.

Of course I understand they'd want to leave it in the past. It's just that's not really happening and I don't think it's a realistic possibility. People are still interested in the shooting, Sue is still talking about it, and there was even a movie recently made about it ("I'm Not Ashamed"). And they're still portraying Eric as the mastermind behind the whole thing. It must be so much worse for his parents to just sit there, listen to people say that Dylan was just a follower, and not say anything when they might've actually had some valuable input on the situation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Holloka

PostSubject: Re: Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric   Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:45 pm

I think it's kind of ridiculous for the blame to be entirely shifted onto Eric's shoulders. Doesn't Sue remember when Dylan was intimidating people at a restaurant? The fact he harassed kids in the special education program so badly they didn't even want to show up at school? The fact he approached classmates at a service station brandishing a shotgun mere months before the shooting? The fact he wrote about wanting to go on a shooting rampage 6 months before Eric even created his "journal"?

No, Dylan was not innocent. I'd argue he was more "dangerous" than Eric.

No half-assed report written by a pseudo intellectual "psychologist" is going to convince me otherwise.

Wow, I've never heard of this, can someone direct me to a source of this? Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric   Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:20 pm

I think it's kind of ridiculous for the blame to be entirely shifted onto Eric's shoulders. Doesn't Sue remember when Dylan was intimidating people at a restaurant? The fact he harassed kids in the special education program so badly they didn't even want to show up at school? The fact he approached classmates at a service station brandishing a shotgun mere months before the shooting? The fact he wrote about wanting to go on a shooting rampage 6 months before Eric even created his "journal"?

No, Dylan was not innocent. I'd argue he was more "dangerous" than Eric.

No half-assed report written by a pseudo intellectual "psychologist" is going to convince me otherwise.

Wow,  I've never heard of this, can someone direct me to a source of this? Thanks in advance!

Look for Adam Kyler in the 11k. He was the student that was bullied by Dylan and other members of the TCM

View user profile
Scarletmoon

PostSubject: Re: Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric   Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:00 pm

Of course I understand they'd want to leave it in the past. It's just that's not really happening and I don't think it's a realistic possibility. People are still interested in the shooting, Sue is still talking about it, and there was even a movie recently made about it ("I'm Not Ashamed"). And they're still portraying Eric as the mastermind behind the whole thing. It must be so much worse for his parents to just sit there, listen to people say that Dylan was just a follower, and not say anything when they might've actually had some valuable input on the situation.

I agree with you, it's not going anywhere there are too many researchers and columbiners and I don't think it's dying down anytime soon. with Sue's book, the movie and constant mentioned of E&D in the news when there is a "copycat" shooting, I can see why they would want to hide from it all. Eric is looked at as a crazy, psychopathic neo nazi that lead poor Dylan to commit murder/suicide. If they came forward and said "This isn't true, our son wasn't a psychopath" or whatever else they decided to say, they would be in the spotlight because people are interested in this crime as much now as they were when it happened. They would also receive a lot of hate and being very private people I'm sure they don't want any of that. It must be a huge trigger for them constantly seeing things about Columbine even 17 years later, I can't imagine what they went through and how painful it is to see news about it and other school shootings.

As for the book, I definitely thought Sue was putting almost all of the blame on Eric, I even said out loud "Holy shit shes blaming everything on Eric". In my opinion, this started off as Dylans idea and then when he mentioned it to Eric they both built on the idea together. I do sympathize with both E&D I think they had severe mental health issues, they had so much hate in them and I believe by the middle of junior year, they were dead inside. Their senior school pics where Eric is wearing a Rammstein shit and Dylan is wearing a shirt that says "Serial Killer" (holy fuck was he trying to tell people something?" those pictures are so haunting, they are pictures of 2 teens that are just so done with everything and want to get their lives over with but not before taking as many people as they can with them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BlackandWhite

PostSubject: Re: Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric   Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:30 am

I agree with you, it's not going anywhere there are too many researchers and columbiners and I don't think it's dying down anytime soon. with Sue's book, the movie and constant mentioned of E&D in the news when there is a "copycat" shooting, I can see why they would want to hide from it all. Eric is looked at as a crazy, psychopathic neo nazi that lead poor Dylan to commit murder/suicide. If they came forward and said "This isn't true, our son wasn't a psychopath" or whatever else they decided to say, they would be in the spotlight because people are interested in this crime as much now as they were when it happened. They would also receive a lot of hate and being very private people I'm sure they don't want any of that. It must be a huge trigger for them constantly seeing things about Columbine even 17 years later, I can't imagine what they went through and how painful it is to see news about it and other school shootings.

That's true, I suppose they think there's no way they'd ever be able to convince people to look at it from a different perspective (that Eric wasn't a psychopath) no matter what they said. They receive hate for not speaking up about it, as if they don't even care enough to do so, but the hate would be worse if they did speak up.

As for the book, I definitely thought Sue was putting almost all of the blame on Eric, I even said out loud "Holy shit shes blaming everything on Eric". In my opinion, this started off as Dylans idea and then when he mentioned it to Eric they both built on the idea together. I do sympathize with both E&D I think they had severe mental health issues, they had so much hate in them and I believe by the middle of junior year, they were dead inside. Their senior school pics where Eric is wearing a Rammstein shit and Dylan is wearing a shirt that says "Serial Killer" (holy fuck was he trying to tell people something?" those pictures are so haunting, they are pictures of 2 teens that are just so done with everything and want to get their lives over with but not before taking as many people as they can with them.

It never fails to surprise me that people, even researchers, come to the conclusion that it was Eric's idea when Dylan was writing about it way before he even considered doing it with Eric!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scarletmoon

PostSubject: Re: Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric   Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:37 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I don't understand how anyone can think it was Eric's idea either. From the evidence we have, Dylan was clearly talking about going NBK with his "love" long before Eric even started writing about the plan. As I said, it's my opinion that Dylan brought the idea up to Eric and then they built on the idea together. They were both equals and of course both equally responsible. I actually find that Dylan was better at hiding his anger and hate, he fooled everyone whereas Eric was obvious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PaintItBlack
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric   Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:05 am

A year after the publication of Sue's book and her media blitz, I am still and will always be profoundly disappointed that she chose to go the "Eric was a psychopath who is mostly to blame, he took advantage of Dylan's depression to lead him into this " route the way she did but I've given the whole thing a lot of the thought over the past year and I've realized that we all should have seen this coming.
If you think about it what else could she do to raise some sympathy and understanding for her son but that?  There is really no other route she could have taken.
Of course her book was to share what she and her family went through in this terrible ordeal but I am sure she hoped it would make at least a minority of people who read it see DK in a more sympathetic light and remember him a little more kindly.

I say this however not meaning that Sue only said and did the above for that reason.I am sure that she over the years especially has convinced herself the this is the truth and Eric was a psycho was is mostly to blame and he preyed on DK in his depression leading Dylan down this hopeless path and it wouldn't have happened otherwise.
If Sue didn't truly believe that and if she saw it the way most of us do here, I don't think she could have went on living. Living through such an nightmare is enough to almost kill someone from stress and grief as it is.
Tom and Bryon may believe the same thing as Sue does and that's how they will all able to go on living.
I do regret that yet another false narrative is out there about what happened and  by one  of the boy's Mothers too but there is nothing to be done about it.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scarletmoon

PostSubject: Re: Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric   Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:43 am

That was very well put [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] .Although I am disappointed as well, we have to accept that this is the route she chose. Overall I have a lot of respect for her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Moonshadow
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric   Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:32 pm

Even if I am still convinced that Eric was at least a little bit more normal than Dylan, I can understand Mrs. Klebold.
It must be incredibly hard to live with this horror for the rest of her life, and no wonder that she tries to give explanations! I cannot blame her for her - sometimes contradictory - opinions. I just cannot imagine how I would feel if I was a parent and had to deal with the mass murder-suicide of my son.
As she had known Dylan completely differently than anyone else did, it would be irrational to expect her to be absolutely objective and justiceful.

(But when it comes to Dylan having had no chance to learn aggression at home, I am a bit sceptical.
I might not remember right, but I read something about Byron Klebold having been thrown out from home, after his parents discovered his substance abuse! And - again, my brain might trick me - if I remember well, he worked at a gas station - in itself, this says nothing, but this is not something I would expect.
Having grown up in a "good family" without serious problems, it is more probable that one would go to college or something, not being kicked out from home and having a low-status job.
I cannot help but think that there were serious problems in that family, problems that no-one recognized or talked about.
Nothing happens without a reason - and, of course, I definitely DON'T mean that hidden problems would justify any violent or murderous action -, but I do think that Byron's story was - maybe - the very first signalizator of the fact that "something went really wrong here".
Maybe it is only me who is lost in combining things?)

In addition: yes, every expert seems to have confirmed that Eric was the leader, so this surely seemed natural for Mrs. Klebold to accept it. This might made the whole tragedy somehow understandable.

And, I absolutely don't blame Eric's family for not speaking or writing about the story in public. They seem to be very private people, and I am sure they would feel even worse if they exposed themselves to all of this... They have the right to not take up the scapegoat role (as both families are seen by certain individuals.) Even if I would like to hear their opinions and maybe some extra info's, I would never bother them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
elia

PostSubject: Re: Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric   Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:21 pm

Just finished to read Sue Klebold's book. Now I understand why so many people said she blamed Eric, because she DOES. It's ridiculous how much she blames him and tries to defend her son. Obviously that's a normal behaviour but I thought/hoped she would have been more unbiased in writing this book. Well, at the end of the day I'm satisfied with it, because now I know more things about what type of guy Dylan was and I feel I'm a little closer to him somehow. I really hope Eric's parents one day will release something more about Eric too. Every little piece will help to complete the puzzle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Sue's book: "Eric was a failed Hitler"; she DOES blame Eric
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2