Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

OCD & Obsessive interests

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
astrospace92

PostSubject: OCD & Obsessive interests    Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:42 am

Hello,

Does anyone else suffer from obsessive thoughts or obsessions in general to the point it has taken over their life? And effected there life negatively?

How do you cope with your obsessive rituals and compulsions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freezingmoon

PostSubject: Re: OCD & Obsessive interests    Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:06 am

In regards to obsessive thoughts: I know it's easier said than done, but I have to adopt almost like an alter ego and keep reminding myself to not give a fuck. I am one of those people who over-analyze everything and stress and fret over everything.  I'm a black or white kind of person.....there are no gray areas. Either I don't give a fuck or I'm crying and stressed to the max.  So I choose to not give a fuck.

In the past I've taken wellbutrin and this helped my obsessive thoughts and certainly brought me up out of my depression, however, I believe it made me manic. But I'll take mania any day over being a deeply depressed non-functional adult.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
astrospace92

PostSubject: Re: OCD & Obsessive interests    Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:24 pm

See I find it so difficult to try and force myself not to give a fuck - without medications - because it turns my stress in hysteria into anger, and it's just a never ending cycle.

When I was so Quetiapine and Prozac it was great. It completely flatlined my emotions for a while, which was great to be honest. But sadly it made me so apathetic and didn't do anything.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draw_It_White
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: OCD & Obsessive interests    Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:19 pm

I suffer from OCD pretty badly. Sometimes now to the point I don't realise when I do something and people point it out to me.

I've never been to the docs or anywhere about it, I don't want to be given pills to take.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
asloversgo

PostSubject: Re: OCD & Obsessive interests    Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:48 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
In regards to obsessive thoughts: I know it's easier said than done, but I have to adopt almost like an alter ego and keep reminding myself to not give a fuck. I am one of those people who over-analyze everything and stress and fret over everything.  I'm a black or white kind of person.....there are no gray areas. Either I don't give a fuck or I'm crying and stressed to the max.  So I choose to not give a fuck.

In the past I've taken wellbutrin and this helped my obsessive thoughts and certainly brought me up out of my depression, however, I believe it made me manic. But I'll take mania any day over being a deeply depressed non-functional adult.

I take wellbutrin and it changed my life
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freezingmoon

PostSubject: Re: OCD & Obsessive interests    Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:08 pm

I think it's one of the better antidepressants out there.  I've taken SSRI's and they were awful.  They made me feel completely dead inside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
astrospace92

PostSubject: Re: OCD & Obsessive interests    Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:18 am

I think it's one of the better antidepressants out there.  I've taken SSRI's and they were awful.  They made me feel completely dead inside.

Me too, when I was on SSRI's I was on a complete emotional flatline Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: OCD & Obsessive interests    Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 pm

@astrospace92 wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone else suffer from obsessive thoughts or obsessions in general to the point it has taken over their life? And effected there life negatively?

How do you cope with your obsessive rituals and compulsions?

I do , as a piggyback to Bipolar Disorder. I take Effexor XR, which is helpful. When it isn't so helpful, I've learned not to be too hard on myself for my thoughts as it is disorder and not a reflection of me as a person. Talking myself down, if you will. Breathing through the anxiety that comes with the compulsion is also helpful.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMarkKid

PostSubject: Re: OCD & Obsessive interests    Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:52 am

I took wellbutrin as well, but the side effects were too strong so I got off it pretty soon. I don't remember if it helped my OCD but it made me constantly jittery and anxious.

I also used to take SSRIs and I agree that it made me feel nothing for a while. After about a year, though, I got depressed again and the meds didn't seem to be doing anything at all, so I got off them too. Which didn't change anything btw, so I'm glad I'm not taking them unnecessarily.

I might go to another psychiatrist at some point, but I've had bad luck with any sort of therapy in the past.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades

PostSubject: Re: OCD & Obsessive interests    Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:41 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], This is pretty much me and how I live my days. There isn't much of a choice for me to but to teach myself to numb feelings out. I used to drink quite a bit last year, that was what I used to look forward to. Now I don't and, I just rely on the thoughts in my mind or things I'm interested in.

Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: OCD & Obsessive interests    Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:50 am

I have this thing with counting. It has gotten better but I count syllables over and over. It used to be bad to the point where I would do it during like a teacher's lecture and I couldn't remember the content of the lecture because I was too busy counting. I would count them on my fingers and they had to fit. That is to say the last syllable had to end on my pinky. If it didn't I had to keep going until it did. It really sucks but I have tried to stop over the years and now I only find myself doing it during movies or mindless TV watching.

View user profile
shades

PostSubject: Re: OCD & Obsessive interests    Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:51 am

I have this thing with counting. It has gotten better but I count syllables over and over. It used to be bad to the point where I would do it during like a teacher's lecture and I couldn't remember the content of the lecture because I was too busy counting. I would count them on my fingers and they had to fit. That is to say the last syllable had to end on my pinky. If it didn't I had to keep going until it did. It really sucks but I have tried to stop over the years and now I only find myself doing it during movies or mindless TV watching.
Does it begin subconsciously or any time of the day you prompt yourself to begin counting when you feel you have to? As in, are you aware you have started the process or it just happens?

Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: OCD & Obsessive interests    Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:57 am

ultraviolencelv wrote:
Does it begin subconsciously or any time of the day you prompt yourself to begin counting when you feel you have to? As in, are you aware you have started the process or it just happens?

Right now I think it is mostly anxiety driven. Like biting my nails. I almost do not realize it is happening until I am already doing it. My husband calls attention to it at times. Like I am sitting there watching tv just zoned out. Other times it just seems random. Here I am listening to someone talk and I just start.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades

PostSubject: Re: OCD & Obsessive interests    Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:00 am

Right now I think it is mostly anxiety driven. Like biting my nails. I almost do not realize it is happening until I am already doing it. My husband calls attention to it at times. Like I am sitting there watching tv just zoned out. Other times it just seems random. Here I am listening to someone talk and I just start.
Ah okay understood.

Criminalprofiling123

PostSubject: Re: OCD & Obsessive interests    Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:22 pm

I have 2 obsessive or compulsive things that I do but I think it's more anxiety related. I'm too nervous to post em on here even though I'm anon since it's not really appealing and I shouldn't be doing it. I've been doing it ever since I was a kid.

Wirely

PostSubject: Re: OCD & Obsessive interests    Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:19 am

Anxiety has been a constant part of my life, I obsess over many things and it can be quite distracting, luckily I have managed to cope.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amarantha

PostSubject: Re: OCD & Obsessive interests    Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:48 am

Sometimes I need to obsessively replay in my mind some trivial events of the day, with different conclusions. I've managed to succeed in multitasking, so I can concentrate on what I'm doing, regardless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSpiral
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: OCD & Obsessive interests    Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:09 am

I can't stop chewing on the skin on my palms. It sometimes creates nasty wounds that are hard to hide. Great stress reliever tho.

Now everybody dancing, the dance of the dead
The dance of the dead, the dance of the dead
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Magnaphoria

PostSubject: Re: OCD & Obsessive interests    Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:54 pm

I can't stop chewing on the skin on my palms. It sometimes creates nasty wounds that are hard to hide. Great stress reliever tho.

I know that feel , I picked on my eyebrows for years during my stressful moments and now the skin around the area is dark red and will possibly never recover but damn it feels good Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
H311ish.B3ast

PostSubject: Re: OCD & Obsessive interests    Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:45 pm

I recall a time in my past (lets say between 15-25?) that I loved something/someone so dearly that it was all I thought about, related to, talked about...etc.  It never turned into some sick obsession of any kind but ... I guess it bothered my mother enough she made me talk to someone.  I still enjoy it and the person(s) but--its calmed. Laughing

I guess on some level I tend to get a tad obsessive about things that I really enjoy or interest me. As if I just can't absorb enough information about whatever the subject is. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smiggles94

PostSubject: Ha   Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:48 pm

I have compulsive tiks, I will scrunch my face up and tense my muscles in certain ways until it feels right.
It causes nasty discomfort and I just put up with it tbh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ziamber II

PostSubject: Re: OCD & Obsessive interests    Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:45 am

When i was a child, i used to have extreme and often negative obsessions about people or certain groups of people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

OCD & Obsessive interests
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1