Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Not sure if this is the right area to post it but, if anyone's aware there's this crew who made it known on Tumblr mostly that they're gonna make a short film, reenactment of the basement tapes and it's out now. What do you guys think?

Last edited by liquorvamp on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
browneyes11

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:10 pm

I've read some of the comments on youtube and so far they've been pretty positive, so I guess I'll be the first to post a negative opinion. I've known about this for awhile now. If I'm not mistaken they've been planning this short film for at least a year, if not longer. My view is that it could have been a lot better, but it could have been worse. I am glad that they made it. It's interesting to see how other people interpret the transcripts. They obviously put a lot of hard work into it. I was impressed with how accurate most of their props, costumes, and locations were. I think the director did a great job of at least capturing the heart of what the tapes might have looked like.

My only criticism is the "actors". I can get past that they don't look like Eric or Dylan in the slightest. But isn't the whole point of acting...to act like the person you are portraying? I've watched Q&As of the actors and they've stated that they watched all the available videos of Eric and Dylan and read their journals in preparation for the roles. But this was the best they could do? The delivery of their "conversations" felt so robotic. It came across as very staged not as two friends discussing their murderous plans. They don't capture any of Eric or Dylan's mannerisms. The guy playing Dylan was just awful. Maybe it's just me but I always pictured Dylan being much more animated and loud. This guy was so dead pan with his delivery of the lines. I felt like he didn't even try. On the other hand the guy playing Eric was trying too hard throughout the video. He wasn't terrible, but he wasn't great at any point. The actors are obviously amateurs so I can't be too mad about their performance. But I think the director could have done more to guide their performances. Perhaps that is the best they could do...

I don't know. I just feel like the most important part of the real basement tapes wasn't just the words. Its their body language, how they communicated with each other, the emotions under the words (rage, despair, revenge, sorrow). That's what I would want to see out of a reenactment of the tapes. Accurate props are pointless if you completely miss the big picture.

What did you guys think of it?

P.S
This is really petty but the fact that they had the April 11th scene before the scene where Eric and Dylan discuss plans for Eric's birthday(April 9th) bothers me.

To experience life after death, in solitude, in compassion, in love.-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draw_It_White
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:48 am

I agree with most of the above.

'Dylan' had no emotion when talking about his rage against everyone. They should be ashamed of this movie.

Also, I know there was mentioning of grimacing when Eric took a swig of JD but surely if it was as obvious on the real tapes as it was on here, he wouldn't have continued to do it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

I agree with most of what was said. The Dylan character acted like he was reading notes on a teleprompter. It wasn't very believable.

I had a bit of secondhand embarrassment watching this. I feel like the real tapes were posturing and over acting for sure but this just felt really fake. I know they didn't have the real tapes to go off of at all and only the limited transcripts but still....maybe I had too high of expectations but anyway....

I didn't feel any anger in this at all. The one clip we have with the Rachel and Jen part....the uncensored version both of them had so so much rage. I didn't feel any of that in this. There was really no emotion.

View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:03 pm

With respect I'm echoing most of what you guys said. for me it was the actor for Eric, I literally hear him shaking and stuttering at one part of his monologue. They're more remembering their lines than being E&D. Great job on the props and the set-up, that may be what the basement tapes looked like but...yeah, not an excellent portrayal of the boys. It wouldn't be so much of a sub-par situation if their aim wasn't to be like the boys but rather re-enact in their own perspective/as their own characters. But as Eric and Dylan? nah..

Jenn
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:48 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and I watched this together today. And I told him basically the same thing [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] was saying. I felt embarrassed for the actors watching it. Aside from the fact that neither one of them look a thing like Dylan and Eric nor did they do a good job portraying the boys' body language but the acting was down right horrible.

It kind of reminded me of being back in high school in Drama club. The actors would get the script for the play and they would sit down and have a read through of the script to get themselves familiar with their lines.

Anyhow, they got a fair amount of positive comments on the actual video, so at least someone enjoyed it.

ThoughtBox

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:23 pm

Embarrassingly amateurish......

However....watching this made me think about how cool it would be to actually see the real thing. Even if it is just machismo and posturing, and teenage bitching and moaning about things.

“Despair is the price one pays for self-awareness. Look deeply into life, and you'll always find despair.” -- Irvin D. Yalom, MD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aquillina

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:14 am

A lot of kudos to the two guys portraying E&D. This is probably the closest to the Basement Tapes we will ever get. Awesome!

browneyes11

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:19 am

I think the movie Zero Hour is probably more like the basement tapes than this.

To experience life after death, in solitude, in compassion, in love.-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
noonlight

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:07 am

According to all who've seen the basement tapes,Dylan is monstrous,and Eric is perceived as the more reasonable.
I can imagine,Dylan,with his physical  presence,not small, awkward or not!,not to mention his ability to growl and 'yell real good' would have been apparent,do we even have to mention his simmering volcanic anger and desire to die?
Also,and this is a key point we are missing, is the non verbal communication between the boys,so to attempt to visually recreate ,was a mistake I think.
Plus, seeing actor Dylan snuggled up in a recliner?? Nah!
I think his long legs would've been stretched out,and 'manspreading' cos his death-his goal- was in sight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSpiral
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:28 am

Meh... I'ts an interasting concept but the actors look too old, and the acting itself is questionable. Still, it's not THAT bad, but I would like to see this done professionaly.

Now everybody dancing, the dance of the dead
The dance of the dead, the dance of the dead
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kiwik

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:27 pm

I haven't watched this yet and I'm probably not going to based on the negative opinions, but has anyone ever imagined someone making a parody/spoof of the basement tapes? I have a bizarre, kinda bent sense of humor, and I was reading an article a while back about what they were doing and talking about on the tapes. I ended up laughing to myself b/c I was imagining Dylan downing his candy and Jack as the article suggested, and messily half spitting it everywhere while angrily ranting about how everyone's gonna die, being completely serious while obliviously making a gross mess, and at the same time Eric speaking 'lovingly' about his mother as the article suggests, but the things I imagine him speaking about would be weird and embarrassing, both of them talking over each other until Eric looks over and realizes Dylan's extreme spit-talking and cuts him off by saying "Jesus" in a disgusted tone. It played out pretty funny in my head haha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:36 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] lol I get what you mean. And your description of it simply makes me wanna see the actual BT for real!

Hectic

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:42 pm

I think it's terrible. The actor portraying Dylan is too feminine, the actor portraying Etic is too old. It's rubbish. Terrible acting all around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChoSeungHui

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:00 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I agree with most of what was said. The Dylan character acted like he was reading notes on a teleprompter.  It wasn't very believable.  

I had a bit of secondhand embarrassment watching this.  I feel like the real tapes were posturing and over acting for sure but this just felt really fake.  I know they didn't have the real tapes to go off of at all and only the limited transcripts but still....maybe I had too high of expectations but anyway....

I didn't feel any anger in this at all.  The one clip we have with the Rachel and Jen part....the uncensored version both of them had so so much rage.  I didn't feel any of that in this.  There was really no emotion.

The young man who played Eric did a good enough job. However the guy who played dylan seemed a lot off, and not trying to be homophobic at all but he had an obvious gay lisp. I'm just pointing that out lol

CaptainMidnight

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:00 pm

it will sound like nitpicking,but the way they made it with an HD camera bothered me.
I didnt like it,but people who dont want to read the whole transcript might find it helpful.

I'll take your brain to another dimension
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:48 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] yknow what I had been thinking this since I watched it, I thought if they wanted to make it as raw as similar as tapes from the 90s, they could have filmed it literally with an old version video cam, dated from like 2003 or something one of those old Sony ones, if they could get their hands on it and still worked, that would be pretty cool. Use a legit old video handycam and they wouldn't have to put the VHS effect over it.

Freezingmoon

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:36 am

Their acting is nothing like what I envision Eric and Dylan to be.  I think the guys from Zero Hour probably did a more accurate portrayal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
slippy123

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:36 am

I really don't think its that bad. Obviously unless they did some huge casting to find people who looked just like Eric and Dylan it would have to be the closest they could find. Especially if they didn't have a big budget. Since we may never see the tapes, its pretty cool to have a visual of what they'd look like. The acting isn't perfect and so on, but I give the dudes credit for trying!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JB81

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:47 am

Yeah, it just comes across as being OK to me. Not great, not horrific, but just OK. For a low budgeted short film, I guess it does it's job. I can't say I was expecting something memorable, but I'll go ahead and give the people associated with this props for putting atleast some effort in re-creating something we might not ever see ourselves.

Which is unfortunate.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
meowitscow

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:38 pm

It's okay to me, it's their view, but... I don't picture them so calm, especially Dylan.

shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:58 pm

Blooper Reel:

Holy shit their jew blooper though xD

abstractsmigs

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:23 am

liquorvamp wrote:
Blooper Reel:

Holy shit their jew blooper though xD

The jew thing was funny, but after watching the bloopers it makes the actual short film feel even more unprofessional than it already was. I can appreciate the effort they put in, but I think the mediocre acting ruined it for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:24 pm

Vlog: Day 2

hahah, "the dog looks like Eric"

myshame

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:02 am

They definitely needed to amp up the anger in their performances.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smiggles94

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:15 pm

I wish I could see the real thing not some watered down bullshit.
I bet that's not even what happened.
But hey at least people understand that there is people wanting too see these things !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenn
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:42 am

I wish I could see the real thing not some watered down bullshit.
I bet that's not even what happened.
But hey at least people understand that there is people wanting too see these things !
I don't think it happened like this either. Most people give this film a positive review though.

Screamingophelia
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:11 pm

That part at the end when Dylan has his gun pointed at Eric, I heard that actually happened, but I don't remember where I read it. One of the many instances where Dylan shows he has a lack of gun safety know how.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:34 am

That part at the end when Dylan has his gun pointed at Eric, I heard that actually happened, but I don't remember where I read it. One of the many instances where Dylan shows he has a lack of gun safety know how.

Dylan wasn't very gun safety oriented that's for sure. In the Rampart Range video he was trying to reload his shot gun and actually had the barrel turned towards his own stomach. No Shocked

He could have easily stopped Columbine from ever happening by accidentally shooting himself or Eric at any time during those outings.

I have been around guns all my life and have a very healthy respect of them, gun safety was something that was taught to me at an early age.  I cringe every time I see one of them walking in front of another with a gun, or when Eric had his slung over his shoulder walking and people were behind him. Shocked

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
                                                                                         -Friedrich Nietzsche

I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other.
               -Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)   Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:44 am

I haven't watched this yet and I'm probably not going to based on the negative opinions, but has anyone ever imagined someone making a parody/spoof of the basement tapes? I have a bizarre, kinda bent sense of humor, and I was reading an article a while back about what they were doing and talking about on the tapes. I ended up laughing to myself b/c I was imagining Dylan downing his candy and Jack as the article suggested, and messily half spitting it everywhere while angrily ranting about how everyone's gonna die, being completely serious while obliviously making a gross mess, and at the same time Eric speaking 'lovingly' about his mother as the article suggests, but the things I imagine him speaking about would be weird and embarrassing, both of them talking over each other until Eric looks over and realizes Dylan's extreme spit-talking and cuts him off by saying "Jesus" in a disgusted tone. It played out pretty funny in my head haha  

I laughed as I read this, then in my own head I could clearly see Eric saying "Dylan shut up!" as he did in the car wax commercial video! Haha

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
                                                                                         -Friedrich Nietzsche

I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other.
               -Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Basement Tapes Recreation - Short Film (2016)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next