Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
studyguy

PostSubject: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:55 pm

I was wondering what you guys thought about the way the media portrayed Eric and Dylan? Do you think it was accurate? Do you think the blame was placed more on Eric than it was Dylan and do you think this was fair?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:05 pm

I think over time, Eric has been portrayed as the leader, the evil mastermind. I don't necessarily think he was. While it may not be indicative of anything, a poster here mentioned that it was in Dylan's journal that the shooting first appeared, and to me, that raises the possibility that the original plan was Dylan's. I am not convinced Eric was a psychopath, but I am convinced he had some mental problems going on. I do believe Dylan was deeply depressed, beyond normal teen angst. Do I think Eric catching more of the blame is fair ? Absolutely not. Dylan was every bit as responsible for carrying the shooting through as Eric was and should share the blame equally.
Back to top Go down
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:54 pm

zero of what they portrayed. The fact that the word portrayed is even used already explains that the media - as they always do - paint a picture for us.

Everything about the boys we learnt amongst ourselves and our own instincts. I no longer care what the media or publishers have to say. Well, dependable for the latter if it's good journalism.

studyguy

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:51 am

Thanks for this. I see by the polls that many others agree Eric Harris was not experiencing psychopathy and that the majority hold both Eric and Dylan equally responsible. I'm thinking the media wanted to suggest that Eric was a psychopath because then there may have been some excuse? And the portrayal of Dylan as being influenced by Eric may suggests that he had a diminished responsibility, as a way of understanding their actions. I guess the boys were also simultaneously demonised as were much of Americas youth as a result. The framing of the event by different media seems contradictory at times which is something I'm trying to grapple with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenn
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:21 pm

The blame was 100% put more on Eric than it was on Dylan. Thanks to Cullen. Cullen painted this picture of Eric being this raging psychopath who pressured poor, sad, depressed, follower Dylan into it. That was not the case at all. In fact, the shooting idea was Dylan's, not Eric's. And it was an idea that Dylan originally thought of to do with this girl he was obsessed with.

And also, Eric was the follower, not Dylan. All Eric's friends were Dylan's friends. Eric copied Dylan's taste in music, Dylan's taste in clothing, referred to Dylan as his one and only best friend.

We've gone over this a lot in the past and if you read through some of the older threads you will see all the arguments backing it up that it was Dylan's idea. Eric gets most of the blame because Eric was the one who put Dylan's idea into motion. Dylan wasn't this sad follower, he was just lazy when it came to planning and preparing. He was too busy sitting around having pity parties in his journal which is why he gets so much sympathy, because he wrote about being sad and wanting love and being suicidal but at the same time he was also talking about getting a gun and killing whoever he wanted. And this started well before this hateful, vengeful version of Eric showed up.

I truly believe that it was Dylan who got Eric into this whole mess. Dylan wanted to commit suicide but needed a good enough reason to actually go through with it and he used Eric to get it. I mean that's clear to me when Dylan said in his journal that 'maybe going NBK with Eric' was the best way to "break free" (die).

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:35 pm

Jenn, that's kind of the impression I get. It seems like Dylan was a thinker, but Eric was a doer, if that makes sense. In some ways, I feel bad for Eric's family because he has posthumously shouldered so much of the blame. I can't blame them for not speaking out because it seems like no matter what they say, Eric will still be considered the worst of the two .

Last edited by lilypadlane on Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add a missing word)
Back to top Go down
Kiwik

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:16 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] spot on, I agree with this 100%. In some ways I feel that Dylan was a bad influence on Eric.

I also think people put a lot of emphasis on Dylan being desperate to die, but honestly a lot of teenagers consider suicide and write about it when they're feeling down. I sure as hell did! (I even drew awful pictures) I think he thought about it a lot but didn't have it in him to go through with it without NBK. If NBK never happened, I don't believe he was ultimately only destined to commit suicide later in life. If he would have given himself a chance and graduated, then started college in the fall his life would have changed dramatically, and who knows where he would have went from there. I just dont believe that all options point to suicide. If he wanted to die that bad he would have done it without needing something extreme like NBK to go through with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:19 am

All of the above cheers

Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:29 am

Unfortunately the majority of people who "think" they know something about Columbine get their info from "Cullenbine" so they don't know as much as they think. If you had only read that book you have gotten the wrong idea of Eric and Dylan.

View user profile
hate99
Banned. Accounts not permitted to anyone under the age of 15.

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:41 am

They sometimes potray them as helpless, tormented souls, but I believe they were predators themselves.

Screamingophelia
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:27 pm

Im trying to recall how E&D were portrayed at first in the media?

I know at first there was a ton of misinformation of course but the whole Eric as the charming manipulator with a violent streak and "sweet" depressed Dylan seems to have been around for a long time.

I don't remember knowing much about Dylan until recently.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:21 am

I agree with Jenn. The media coverage was very one sided with the placement of blame. It was pretty much evil, sadistic, psychopath Eric Harris, tricked/forced lonely, shy, love starved, depressed Dylan Klebold to commit murder. I think Columbine is much more complicated then simply saying, Eric was a psychopath and Dylan was depressed.

I have said this many times, Dylan was the wolf in sheep's clothing. No one suspected Dylan. He was the better manipulator, better at hiding his true intent and feelings. He was the one that no one expected such things from.

While Eric on the other hand, was hot headed and had an explosive temperament. He was well known to be spiteful, and just a jerk to most people. No one batted an eye when they found out Eric was involved.

Both E&D planned and then followed through with it. They knew it was wrong, yet they still did it. I feel both are equally responsible.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
                                                                                         -Friedrich Nietzsche

I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other.
               -Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:42 am

I wonder if Dylan's mom heard of the slapping incident and Dylan supposedly at the gas station with a shotgun?

She wouldn't put it in the book, before 4/20 the things Dylan does that are "bad" are being lazy, forgetting to do chores and the van incident. The other things wouldn't play into the narrative.

Dylan is extremely interesting to me.

I think if he was forced into therapy he'd either not talk or tell them what they want to hear. I think he even talks about wearing a mask almost. Like who is this entity inside my body named Dylan (I am paraphrasing a lot)

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Littlelo
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:53 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] can you elaborate on those two incidents you mentioned? Not sure I heard of either before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:10 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I wonder if Dylan's mom heard of the slapping incident and Dylan supposedly at the gas station with a shotgun?  

She wouldn't put it in the book, before 4/20 the things Dylan does that are "bad" are being lazy, forgetting to do chores and the van incident. The other things wouldn't play into the narrative.

I think if he was forced into therapy he'd either not talk or tell them what they want to hear. I think he even talks about wearing a mask almost. Like who is this entity inside my body named Dylan (I am paraphrasing a lot)

As much as I liked Sue's book, I still feel she tried to show Dylan in the kindest light possible. While she does acknowledge his involvement, she also tries to downplay it by saying things along the lines of "He wasn't in his right mind" or "He was lost to depression." etc. Yet she was quick to jump on the bandwagon of Eric was just a psychopath. Perhaps the lessening of Dylan's involvement is a coping mechanism she uses to relieve her own feelings of guilt and shame of raising a son who was capable of doing such a horrible thing.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
                                                                                         -Friedrich Nietzsche

I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:19 am

I have heard of the slapping incident before. Dylan had supposedly slapped a female coworker. But it was never proven. Just the girl's word,and no one to back it up.  

Although I have not heard anything of Dylan at a gas station with a shotgun.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:31 am

I'm going to see if I can find the reference. It always struck me as something that wasn't confirmed at all, just a rumor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
InsaneIntruder
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:27 pm

I'd like to learn more about these incidents..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lavitax

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:30 am

Sue doesn't mention anything about Dylan bullying Adam Kyler in school I wonder if she's even aware of the incident at all and if so, why it wasn't mentioned in her book. Seems strange since the school notified Kyler's parents but there doesn't seem to be an evidence that the Klebold's were notified.

Shotgun at a gas station? Never heard of that. Sounds alleged the way you've described it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:16 pm

I can't find the article now! I'm so sorry! I'll keep looking. It did sound like a made up story anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:26 pm

I can't find the article now! I'm so sorry! I'll keep looking. It did sound like a made up story anyway.

No worries! It is easy to see something in passing and then never be able to find it again given the amount of Columbine material out there. I have done this myself a few times, and it is very annoying.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:50 pm

I was wondering what you guys thought about the way the media portrayed Eric and Dylan? Do you think it was accurate? Do you think the blame was placed more on Eric than it was Dylan and do you think this was fair?

That is not a very easy question to answer, as people frequently changed their narratives about the event. The most frequent, popular, and enduring depiction was of two troubled loners with a violent video game addiction tortured by bullies who snapped and went on a killing spree. The shit with Cullen didn't come out until ten years after the event, and consequently most people stick with the image of the bullied loner kids. I also think most people give E&D equal blame for the shooting since very few people actually get into the raw details of the case. Hell, most people don't even know Columbine was a bomb plot gone wrong.

Last edited by QuestionMark on Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ivan
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:39 am

No.

Dylan was a psychopath, Eric was not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:43 pm

No.

I think it's reaching to call Dylan a psychopath. But fuck it, you're not going to listen to me, so I'm not going to argue the point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenn
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:24 am

No.

I think it's reaching to call Dylan a psychopath. But fuck it, you're not going to listen to me, so I'm not going to argue the point.
He's being sarcastic. He doesn't really think Dylan or Eric are psychopaths. The media, and people in general, always try to pin the blame on one more than the other. Although I think Cullen was a huge part of that, he definitely wasn't the first one to start it.

I don't think it's fair to blame one more than the other, because regardless of the planning, they equally participated. While I do believe that the idea was definitely Dylan's, Eric still went along with it. Eric just gets more of the blame because he was actually doing most of the preparing and planning. It would appear that Dylan was just following along but I think Dylan was perfectly fine with just letting Eric plan it.

Another thing with Dylan is, aside from Eric, he hid his anger really well. Even Dylan and Eric's friends will say they felt that Eric was probably the mastermind and Dylan was the follower because that is how it appeared to them. Personally, I believe Eric felt stronger about the friendship than Dylan did. Not only was Eric not Dylan's first choice as a best friend, he also wasn't Dylan's first choice when Dylan started thinking about "NBK".

As for the whole psychopath thing, I don't feel like either one of them were psychopaths. Although, at times, they tried to put on these fronts in their journals and on the Basement Tapes saying that they were God like and whatnot, but neither one of them thought very much of themselves. They were both very insecure. Eric talked about making fun of guys that looked like him because he hated how he looked. Neither one of them had any confidence when it came to girls and dating. They were both suicidal. All of these things are the opposite to what a psychopath is. They had very strong feelings for their families and their pets. There were actually people they didn't want to hurt. And I'm not trying to defend them, I'm just pointing out reasons why I do not think they were psychopaths.

I deal with a psychopath in real life on a regular basis. I know from first hand experience what a psychopath is actually like. No conscience. Cares about no one but themselves. Acts and talks like everyone else in existence is beneath them. Will do whatever they have to do to get what they want. Truly does not care about anyone else but themselves and has no feelings for anyone including their own family. They lie, steal, use and abuse family and do not think twice about any of it and never feel bad for any of it. In fact, they blame everyone else for the things they do. Literally has no conscience, no guilt, no remorse, no sympathy. Nothing. Void of any kind of feelings towards anything or anyone and never thinks of anyone but themselves and comes off as not even being human at all.

And I know all of this may seem like nothing when we're talking about 2 people who committed murder. Yes, Dylan and Eric were murderers but not all murderers are psychopaths.

Sorry I went a bit off topic here. I know the thread is supposed to be about opinions on whether Dylan and Eric were treated/blamed equally for the massacre. I know we've talked about the whole psychopath thing many times on the board but it's just something I feel strongly about because I know what an actual psychopath is like. And I honestly do not think either of them were true actual psychopaths.

ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:44 am

I agree. The term psychopath gets tossed around a lot. It is easy to say "Oh they were just psychos." When in reality neither Eric or Dylan completely fit in that category. I'm not saying that E&D didn't have some actions/characteristics that is associated with being a psychopath, because they did.

Both E&D has several traits that would make you label them as psychopaths, but each also had many traits that would knock them out of that category.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:39 pm

It really does not matter what 'label' is put on them. They were certainly equal partners.

A lot of CEO's of corporations are psychopaths.

Some, if not most, psychopaths will never kill anyone.

ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:46 pm

It really does not matter what 'label' is put on them. They were certainly equal partners.

True. One shouldn't be blamed more or less then the other. No matter what each was going though, or what types of mental issues either were suffering, they still decided to kill innocent people.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Back to top Go down
View user profile
1Mare1
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:38 pm

Eric killed people, Dylan killed people. Both were followers of their own ideas. Eric gets more blame because of him having no friends other than Dylan, and nobody can confirm his own struggles while people who gave interviews and testimonies were all related to Dylan.

Harris family simply decided to stay in privacy and move on, meanwhile Dylan's mom is open to the public and has an obvious natural bias towards her own son, just like any other mother.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan   Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:05 pm

He's being sarcastic. He doesn't really think Dylan or Eric are psychopaths.

Sorry, I couldn't tell how serious he was. Autism sucks like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The media's portrayal of Eric and Dylan
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1