Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Klebolds ignoring reports of bullying?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PaintItBlack
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Klebolds ignoring reports of bullying?   Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:19 pm

Something that struck me from the book lately.Dylan once went to his parents and complained that some freshman were picking on him and Eric.His Dad seemed to think this was silly since Dylan was 6'3 and 2 years older than the Freshman.
He was afraid that Dylan would "embarrass himself" if he got into a fight with the freshman.
Dylan and Eric then tried to fight the freshman away from school but they didn't show up.
The freshman then apparently damaged the top of Dylan's car.

If someone is picking on you does it really matter that you are older?

Sue says that Dylan once came home from school covered in ketchup but he downplayed it and she asked no more questions.She said she thought"Kids have conflicts.They'll work it out."
Then she says that she never knew that Dylan had been bullied? Huh?

I don't want to judge them too harshly as they have suffered a great deal but it seems like the one time Dylan tried to go to his parents about being picked on at school, he didn't get a good response at all.
For a sensitive ,image conscious kid like Dylan,I see why he didn't try again.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nirvana92

PostSubject: Re: Klebolds ignoring reports of bullying?   Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:46 am

I think a lot of people find the whole freshman incident to be kind of laughable. Dylan was over 6 feet tall and two years older than them. If someone is picking on you does their age matter? Yeah it kind of does honestly. If freshman were getting under Dylan's skin it was because he was already being picked on older kids. A piling effect so to speak. And can you really blame the Klebolds? His father asked him if he was being picked on and he denied it, but then he complains about some freshman hurting his feelings? Its really not hard to see how Tom let a little freshman "bullying" slide.

Ultimately Dylan was good at hiding his feelings, and that's really not the Klebolds fault. Also as sad as it is bullying is just part of the highschool experience. Does that make it okay? Of course not. Very few bullied kids take it to the extreme that Dylan did. Based alone on the small bits of knowledge that Dylan had carefully fed them the Klebolds had no reason at all to see the attack coming.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
seether

PostSubject: Re: Klebolds ignoring reports of bullying?   Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:55 am

I can see why people tend to think a bigger, older kid wouldn't have real problems with bullying, but it makes me sad to read all of that, and know that so many people think the same things. Not just his parents, but everyone. I've always been a bigger kid, and I was bullied half to death by "little" kids. I had to explode into pretty violent rage for them to leave me alone, and even then, they trailed after me and whispered about when I'd lose it and blow up the school and shit like that. People always thought I could take care of myself, I looked and acted tough, but bullying is far more of a mental and emotional thing than people seem to realize. In a way, it seemed like it was worse for kids like me; no one saw a need to stick up for us, or think that our problems were real, while the smaller kids were usually helped out. Size, etc., has very little to do with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Klebolds ignoring reports of bullying?   Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:16 am

I do agree somehow that he did reach out and with the reaching out he's acknowledging to his dad that he is loser, he feels Low, freshmen are picking on me and I feel shitty, what do I do, and his parents gave a basic nonchalant answer- which is not a big deal at that point of time had they known Dylan had huge issues and was gonna shoot up school. But yes I do see that he was somehow neglected when he talked about it, and it's sad. Honestly, I don't know how it feels to be a parent of a bullied kid. How do you deal with that? How do you make your child someone who becomes confident and respected? Would you feel like it's a jab at you too as that's your kid that people feel okay to pick on?

PaintItBlack
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Klebolds ignoring reports of bullying?   Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:52 am

Nirvana92 wrote:
I think a lot of people find the whole freshman incident to be kind of laughable. Dylan was over 6 feet tall and two years older than them. If someone is picking on you does their age matter? Yeah it kind of does honestly. If freshman were getting under Dylan's skin it was because he was already being picked on older kids. A piling effect so to speak. And can you really blame the Klebolds? His father asked him if he was being picked on and he denied it, but then he complains about some freshman hurting his feelings? Its really not hard to see how Tom let a little freshman "bullying" slide.

Ultimately Dylan was good at hiding his feelings, and that's really not the Klebolds fault. Also as sad as it is bullying is just part of the highschool experience. Does that make it okay? Of course not. Very few bullied kids take it to the extreme that Dylan did. Based alone on the small bits of knowledge that Dylan had carefully fed them the Klebolds had no reason at all to see the attack coming.

Nirvana,
I didn't mean by that they they should have in any way seen the attack coming.
It just surprised me in thinking about it over the last couple of days.
This is also personal for me and it's humiliating to admit but I was picked on by kids in grade school when I was a teenager and I found it just as hurtful and humiliating as when the others did it.
The younger kids saw the older kids doing it and jumped in with gusto and were vicious on their own.This mainly happened twice a day on the bus.
So while I realize my experience was an extreme one as I was picked on by nearly everyone, I do know what it's like to be picked on by people much younger than yourself.
This just strikes a chord with me but maybe it wouldn't seem as big of a deal to most people?

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
View user profile
human_abstract

PostSubject: Re: Klebolds ignoring reports of bullying?   Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:58 am

I've seen numerous references to Dylan's height supposedly suppressing some of the bullying. I think Dylan himself even mentioned it to his dad once, something like "They won't mess with me, I'm 6'3", but they give Eric hell".

In high school, I was the same height and build as Dylan (6'3" and around 140 lbs.) and it really didn't stop anybody from messing with me. The awkward gangliness and apparent frailty overrode anything the height gave me. I wasn't mercilessly bullied, but had numerous occasions of shorter jocks messing with me. And while 6'3" is tall, it's still within a normal range. Another inch or two and you start to enter the 'really tall' category where your height becomes more of a defining trait.

I think those who weren't bullied much when they grew up probably believe being taller and older will keep one safe, but in reality bullying transcends being physically larger than someone else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Klebolds ignoring reports of bullying?   Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:57 am

It is sad that there is this stigma that all bullying that occurs happens when an older bigger kid picks on a smaller younger kid.
Bullying can occur on all levels and if his parents did dismiss the bullying or even playfully tease him about it that is sad to me. I feel like Dylan probably downplayed it though Sometimes when parents do get involved it can actually make things worse. Maybe he didn't want his parents intervening?

View user profile
aquillina

PostSubject: Re: Klebolds ignoring reports of bullying?   Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:56 am

Does hazing count as a form of bullying? I've witnessed a few during my college years. I'm surprised Columbine had no occurrences of hazing. Maybe they have but we just never heard of them.

shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Klebolds ignoring reports of bullying?   Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:59 am

I think Dylan should've just jumped those freshmen. Smother them or something. Sure he'd get in trouble but he stood his ground.

aquillina

PostSubject: Re: Klebolds ignoring reports of bullying?   Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:04 am

ultraviolencelv wrote:
I think Dylan should've just jumped those freshmen. Smother them or something. Sure he'd get in trouble but he stood his ground.
Oh yeah he should have. But the fact that he didn't just proves that he really IS a good guy? I don't know.

shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Klebolds ignoring reports of bullying?   Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:12 am

aquillina wrote:
Oh yeah he should have. But the fact that he didn't just proves that he really IS a good guy? I don't know.
I don't think proves much of a good guy but rather very very very self-conscious and worry about how he'd look if he hit somebody. Which was SO ironic, cause he's okay with hitting a female co-worker but not those annoying freshmen? Dylan dylan...priorities!

Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Klebolds ignoring reports of bullying?   Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:15 am

ultraviolencelv wrote:
aquillina wrote:
I don't think proves much of a good guy but rather very very very self-conscious and worry about how he'd look if he hit somebody. Which was SO ironic, cause he's okay with hitting a female co-worker but not those annoying freshmen? Dylan dylan...priorities!

We will probably never know but I would like more info about him hitting Michelle. I would think if he actually did hit her she would have reported it or something....IDK she was so nonchalant about it, it just makes me wonder what exactly happened
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aquillina

PostSubject: Re: Klebolds ignoring reports of bullying?   Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:31 pm

Sue mentioned in her book when she and Tom went to retrieve Dylan's car on the impound the owner said he was so mad because his son's hair caught fire. He even threatened to tear down the school brick by brick. I guess it just proves that bullying was severe at Columbine and the adults failed to take notice of it.

Klebolds ignoring reports of bullying?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1