Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:05 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So let's discuss this in a potentially shallow stance here. I've noticed throughout my time being interested in Columbine (as much as it really doesn't matter, cause who wants to play favouritism between killers) that between the two, Dylan has more, I wouldn't say "fans", but he gets more attention, is favoured more and supported more. Now we know that could be a combination of people who are new into Columbine so they rely on the myths about him and the empathic way he was till his last days, and of course long-time members of the Columbine community who overall just prefer Dylan. But is it fair to say that what we know of Dylan is likely faux and we may be interested in the guy he wants to be seen and remembered as but not who he really was? Was it because that Eric was mostly honest and showed his true colours more that caused him to be less favoured? Because of his anger issues? Because he was vocal?

Why do you think Dylan is favoured more? and as an add on, who are You more biased with and through what aspect it is that you are?

Last edited by shades on Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:38 pm

I can say Dylan as the person he was scares the crap out of me. He deceived so many. I don't think anyone truly knew who he was. I think on the 20 he was the scarier of the two and I cannot imagine looking into his "scary clown" face. Talk about nightmares.

I think there are a ton of Cullen type followers out there that just think Dylan was looking for love and drawing all these hearts so he was guilted or tricked in NBK by evil Eric. I think the fact the Harrises have never spoken out also plays a role

View user profile
spinvault

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:59 pm

I think Dylan is favored more because he never allowed anyone to see the real Dylan and he was kinda awkward and though tall, not really a threat. He was thought of as this quiet and shy guy. Eric,on the other hand, was a small dynamo that was loud,aggressive and confrontational.People knew that Eric was high strung and could become very angry at any moment.Eric was the more honest and true person. Eric was honest on the Diversion Program questionaire while Dylan lied. Eric was seeing a therapist and Dylan didn't. Although I imagine if Dylan did see a therapist, he wouldn't be honest or just sit there silent for the entire session if he bothered to even show up at all. Personally, I would prefer Eric than Dylan. At least with Eric, I know what type of personality I am dealing with. Dylan is very scary to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:03 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I think Dylan is favored more because he never allowed anyone to see the real Dylan and he was kinda awkward and though tall, not really a threat. He was thought of as this quiet and shy guy. Eric,on the other hand, was a small dynamo that was loud,aggressive and confrontational.People knew that Eric was high strung and could become very angry at any moment.Eric was the more honest and true person. Eric was honest on the Diversion Program questionaire while Dylan lied. Eric was seeing a therapist and Dylan didn't. Although I imagine if Dylan did see a therapist, he wouldn't be honest or just sit there silent for the entire session if he bothered to even show up at all. Personally, I would prefer Eric than Dylan. At least with Eric, I know what type of personality I am dealing with. Dylan is very scary to me.

That is another thing....Dylan was so flippant about life its crazy. He was given a chance at diversion and he blows it off making fun of the program, and making light of his crime. Dylan just makes me irrationally angry irrational because he is of course dead lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:30 pm

I can't bring myself to say that I respect Eric more without it sounding like I condone his homicidal actions, but I do in the sense that he kept it real in his life and he never gave up trying for something he wanted. I think that's a pretty likeable trait. But despite being that way, as you guys said, him being loud and garnering rage threw people off.

shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:31 pm

Eric was the more honest and true person. Eric was honest on the Diversion Program questionaire while Dylan lied. Eric was seeing a therapist and Dylan didn't. Although I imagine if Dylan did see a therapist, he wouldn't be honest or just sit there silent for the entire session if he bothered to even show up at all. Personally, I would prefer Eric than Dylan. At least with Eric, I know what type of personality I am dealing with. Dylan is very scary to me.
Thank you so much for bringing this up.

shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:34 pm

Plus I think with Sue's recent media attention and book, it really helps Dylan gain more supporters.

Moonshadow
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:48 pm

At the moment, I am just sitting in the corner, listening to your conversation and nod to your thoughts, having considered this question in my mind before. You guys have already said many of the things I mean.

However, if I had the chance, I would rather be friends with Eric than with Dylan.
Eric was more honest. Even in his antisocial deeds and aggression. And his "You know what I hate?" list became a kind of slogan between me and a friend of mine. Based on this:
"Next time that happens i will rip out 2 of your damn ribs and shove em into your f****n eye balls!!!" - if we experience something very frustrating, we just use the code word "Ribs!" instead of giving a detailed explanation of being mad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:58 pm

Based on this:
"Next time that happens i will rip out 2 of your damn ribs and shove em into your f****n eye balls!!!" - if we experience something very frustrating, we just use the code word "Ribs!" instead of giving a detailed explanation of being mad.

Okay, so that's actually kinda adorable. Razz

aquillina

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:00 pm

ultraviolencelv wrote:
Plus I think with Sue's recent media attention and book, it really helps Dylan gain more supporters.
If either Wayne or Kathy came out of hiding, would Eric gain just as much supporters/sympathizers than Dylan?

shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:07 pm

If either Wayne or Kathy came out of hiding, would Eric gain just as much supporters/sympathizers than Dylan?
Depends what they come out to say. Whether it's a book on their life with Eric, or an interview, it really depends. So from then we'd know if it's something to empathise with Eric for or possibly dislike him more since Wayne is known to be kinda robotic and blunt, he's not like Sue, you know, with how she writes and talks about Dyl.

aquillina

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:30 pm

Eric may have been more honest. Still though I don't think that's any excuse for his temper tantrums. The soccer game freakout, his assault on Brooks Brown. Come to think of it, even Browns favored Dylan more than Eric.

shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:42 pm

Eric may have been more honest. Still though I don't think that's any excuse for his temper tantrums. The soccer game freakout, his assault on Brooks Brown. Come to think of it, even Browns favored Dylan more than Eric.
Well yeah, Brooks was friends with Dylan since they were kids. There's no excuse for his temper tantrums literally because it is who he was. He had an anger issue, IDK when it started, but he had no self control.

TheWitcher

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:45 pm

Why Dylan? Because he had to struggle with unfulfilled love. In some cases it may be that simple.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:45 pm

Come to think of it, if Eric could still maintain a friendship with Dylan, I think it meant that Dylan knew him well enough or play around enough where he wouldn't get Eric angry or tick him off. For Eric to keep more people by his side or be in his favour, I think he had to meet people just like Dylan. but for sure Dylan had to do a lot of tolerating like some of you have mentioned here and a little bit of ass-kissing to keep Eric happy.

shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:46 pm

Why Dylan? Because he had to struggle with unfulfilled love. In some cases it may be that simple.
That's it? He went through unrequited love? Didn't Eric too?

TheWitcher

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:49 pm

Dylan wasn't so impulsive as Eric was. Eric desired woman's body in feral way. When we compare his notes with Dylan's love letter it becomes obvious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:53 pm

Dylan wasn't so impulsive as Eric was. Eric desired woman's body in feral way. When we compare his notes with Dylan's love letter it becomes obvious.
That's true, although in real life when Eric is with a girl he is frozen and chivalrous, though many have debated it's a typical act.

So because Dylan desired girls or a girl in a more...idk, poetic, dreamer romance sort of way he gets liked more? Because he's like a broken prince?

aquillina

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:06 pm

ultraviolencelv wrote:
That's it? He went through unrequited love? Didn't Eric too?
Columbine was probably not the best place to meet nice girls. Teen dating is very complicated.

TheWitcher

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:06 pm

IMO it's because of his appearance. Tall, skinny and acting in clumsy way guy. He is similar to movie's stereotype of a guy who can't find a gf. I don't want to say that but other people may feel compassion for him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheWitcher

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:15 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Great topic to discuss. Were girls spoiled there? Keep in mind that it was happening 17-20 years ago and people may act less superficial. Are Columbine and St. Barbara College- where Elliot Rodger attended- comparable in this way?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Moonshadow
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:19 pm

Unfortunately, now it is only Kathy who could come out (if she wanted); Wayne Harris passed away in 2014, according to geni.com confused

Back to top Go down
View user profile
aquillina

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:24 pm

Unfortunately, now it is only Kathy who could come out (if she wanted); Wayne Harris passed away in 2014, according to geni.com  confused
WTF????!!!!! Is this legit?

shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:30 pm

Well, I thought Wayne Harris is very much alive?

Moonshadow
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:34 pm

I am not sure, but geni.com doesn't seem to be a fake site. It is possible that this site hasn't got the correct infos anyway, but also possible that this is correct. Really don't know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:34 pm

I think that link was debunked and Wayne is still alive. If he were to have passed on would there be an article about it?

shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:37 pm

IMO it's because of his appearance. Tall, skinny and acting in clumsy way guy. He is similar to movie's stereotype of a guy who can't find a gf. I don't want to say that but other people may feel compassion for him.
Well I guess this would make some form of sense however there's also still a group of people who find Eric's sort of look attractive despite the fact that him being a tad bit short was almost a flaw. In response to your question, sure the 90s weren't that superficial however I think Columbine's girls were prissy, uptight, conservative and had this superiority complex about themselves. Very religion-abiding, always focused on the popular guys and being on top. Groups who liked different things and dressed differently were a huge ass deal.

Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:41 pm

The Wayne thing was debunked. He is still alive!

View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:59 pm

Anyway, who's to say that Dylan didn't have dirty, objectifying and violent thoughts too but he just never penned it down. Writing is writing, we don't know what's inside him.

Moonshadow
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold   Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:32 pm

The Wayne thing was debunked.  He is still alive!

Ohh, good to know cyclops Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Likability: Eric Harris vs Dylan Klebold
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next