Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 
 

 When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
shades

avatar

Posts : 2716
Join date : 2016-03-05
Location : 13th Beach

PostSubject: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:38 pm

So the title explains for itself. It has somehow almost gotten out of hand from what I've witnessed on other sites within the Columbine community.
There's actually a debate and a semi-fight coming from those who romanticise Eric and Dylan way beyond delusion, and are saying nasty things towards civil ones who tell them or perhaps indirectly as a whole that their actions and the things they write about the boys are inappropriate, it's cringy, and they're exposing the type of person they are amongst those who may be offended with what they put out.

What are you guys' thoughts or form of retaliation? I know it's absolutely easy to ignore and its your own choice to not see these things. But how do we handle how obnoxious it is or the fact that we're speaking to somebody who is snippy and ignorant about the fact that they're still murderers, and yet are basically having a wet dream about the boys?

_________________
Will you remain my fire in this temporary paradise?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
doomsdaydream

avatar

Posts : 24
Join date : 2016-07-14
Age : 19
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:01 pm

When you say "other sites," are you referencing Tumblr? Cause I've seen what you're talking about there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nirvana92

avatar

Posts : 360
Join date : 2015-04-21

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:03 pm

I think the most disturbing part is the fact that the majority are teenagers who are currently enrolled in school. Its one thing when a crazy middle aged person like Lynn Ann worships Eric, but these teens may be going through the same kind of issues E/D were when they committed the shooting. IMO that alone puts them at a higher risk of pulling a copycat shooting. The fact that they're teenagers (especially the ones in "love" with them") they don't always have the capacity to listen to reason or logic. Although I wasnt "into" Columbine when I was in highschool I most certainly received my fair share of bullying. I don't doubt for a second that I'd have found some solace in the Columbine massacre because of the "revenge" angle. That's just a product of the typical reactionary thinking teenagers experience. When you feel alienated and misunderstood its easy to get wrapped up in that kind of mindset.

Honestly I don't think anyone single person is capable of changing it. We'd need a complete overhaul of American school systems view on bullying/harassment, as well as a major shift in internet culture in general. For every genuinely disenfranchised Harris/Klebold admirer how many dozens do you think are in it simply for the "edge" factor? "I'm obsessed with school shooters, how dark and edgey am I?" Ironically its that same kind of thinking that led to E/D wearing trenchcoats, as well as the existence of goth/emo/edge culture in general. It also ties into Marilyn Manson being blamed for the shooting too. Some kids have such an urge to be different that they turn to the macabre, while the status quo they seek to escape misunderstands and further pushes them away. Its a vicious cycle that continues to perpetuate itself.

The first step though? Stop labeling these killers monsters and making them out to be pure evil. Evil sells and the media knows it. Stop giving these angry kids the martyrs to lean on. That's far from a problem solver, but its the most important step IMO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades

avatar

Posts : 2716
Join date : 2016-03-05
Location : 13th Beach

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:27 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
When you say "other sites," are you referencing Tumblr? Cause I've seen what you're talking about there.
Yes, it's ugly and it's ridiculous. How can these kids or unfortunately, grown adults though, justify or defend the fact that they've gone personally delusional on an actual crime? But that aside, what I'm bringing up is malicious words though. Like online-bullying. What is this the early 2000s? It's 2016.

_________________
Will you remain my fire in this temporary paradise?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades

avatar

Posts : 2716
Join date : 2016-03-05
Location : 13th Beach

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:31 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I think the most disturbing part is the fact that the majority are teenagers who are currently enrolled in school. Its one thing when a crazy middle aged person like Lynn Ann worships Eric, but these teens may be going through the same kind of issues E/D were when they committed the shooting. IMO that alone puts them at a higher risk of pulling a copycat shooting. The fact that they're teenagers (especially the ones in "love" with them") they don't always have the capacity to listen to reason or logic. Although I wasnt "into" Columbine when I was in highschool I most certainly received my fair share of bullying. I don't doubt for a second that I'd have found some solace in the Columbine massacre because of the "revenge" angle. That's just a product of the typical reactionary thinking teenagers experience. When you feel alienated and misunderstood its easy to get wrapped up in that kind of mindset.

I agree. I hope they don't fall out of line and groom themselves to be cold or cause harm and justify their actions using the name of two dead guys, or in honour of Eric & Dylan, because of their love for them. I always think to myself at the end of the day, if they're feeling themselves over the boys, living their life somehow through them or talking to them in their sleep whatsoever - go ahead. Do you girl. or guy (cause maybe there are male "fans" too IDK I don't discriminate). BUT, when you go attacking someone else who is reasonably telling you that what you are dreaming and sharing about is borderline creepy, worrying, and making them feel like THEY are in the wrong for saying the right thing then you have just exposed yourself as problematic, and you need to log off for awhile.

_________________
Will you remain my fire in this temporary paradise?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades

avatar

Posts : 2716
Join date : 2016-03-05
Location : 13th Beach

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:45 pm

By the way what I mean by attack is not when delusional fans of the boys become harmful and commit a shooting, what I mean is when they retaliate and bully those who confront them of their delusions and romanticision.

_________________
Will you remain my fire in this temporary paradise?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
doomsdaydream

avatar

Posts : 24
Join date : 2016-07-14
Age : 19
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:08 pm

Okay so most of the Tumblr users I see that post the "romantic" stuff are fully aware of the crime that Eric and Dylan committed and don't excuse them. A lot of the people that sympathize with Eric and Dylan sympathize with their feelings of depression or anger, but DO NOT in any way want to commit any act of revenge. Tbh, I am one of those people.
I guess we can see ourselves in Eric and Dylan and (almost in a motherly way) want to love them and protect them. If we could go back and stop them from killing all those kids and themselves, we would. And because so many of us are teenagers, OF COURSE we are gonna fantasize about them. We all do it with movie stars, musicians, athletes, the popular guy at school, fictional characters, and other people that we don't actually know. I really think it's just a human thing to do, especially among teenage girls, and in this case, we fantasize about two boys about our age, perhaps with similar mental and social problems, who also killed people. Maybe that sounds crazy to other people, but as an 18 year old girl who has fantasized (both in a friendly context and ugh...more...) myself with KPop stars, 1 Direction, and many more guys, it honestly doesn't sound all that crazy.
A lot of us on Tumblr do "attack" people who confront us, but most of the people who confront us do so in a derogatory, hateful way. They call us "sick" or "freaks" and just like generally harass us. And most of the time these people aren't even in the "Columbine community" or "True Crime community;" they just ran across something we posted and flipped out at the thought of sympathizing with killers. Honestly, if it makes us happy and we aren't hurting ourself or others, I don't see what the big problem is. Most of us are sane people who can separate reality from fantasy and can reply in a civl manner, but remember that those who are civl and respectful rarely get any attention or notes. The more extreme people will always get the spotlight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades

avatar

Posts : 2716
Join date : 2016-03-05
Location : 13th Beach

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:21 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
A lot of us on Tumblr do "attack" people who confront us, but most of the people who confront us do so in a derogatory, hateful way. They call us "sick" or "freaks" and just like generally harass us. And most of the time these people aren't even in the "Columbine community" or "True Crime community;" they just ran across something we posted and flipped out at the thought of sympathizing with killers. Honestly, if it makes us happy and we aren't hurting ourself or others, I don't see what the big problem is. Most of us are sane people who can separate reality from fantasy and can reply in a civl manner, but remember that those who are civl and respectful rarely get any attention or notes. The more extreme people will always get the spotlight.

It's not a problem how you all feel or do with yourselves, not at all to me. I really don't want to be contradictory here. Of course there's a line for it but yet even if gets crossed, it's every person's business and I literally cannot stop them from doing it. The only thing I have a issue with is these kids retaliating in the most childish and un-civil manner when confronted by it. Be it outsiders or fellow people in the community. At the end of the day, in the topic of fantasies or romanticising the boys, what if they end up offending the wrong person? Friends or relatives of actual victims or survivors on the net? And then there they are mindlessly defending their erotica and personally attacking a random person who calls them out on it?

My bottomline is, get a grip.

p.s and to be honest though, like the root of it, what you're into are actual killers, not popstars. They killed people. So it should be no surprise these people get called Freaks. Initially though. If you know how to separate, good for you all. But I'm just saying, it's not wrong if people are creeped out by it.

_________________
Will you remain my fire in this temporary paradise?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
doomsdaydream

avatar

Posts : 24
Join date : 2016-07-14
Age : 19
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:50 pm

Oh yeah I totally understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, so I'm not surprised that people are confused or turned off by it, but rather than steering clear of it, saying like, "Hey, that's not cool," or providing good reasons like you did (i.e. offending victim's families), we get told to kill ourselves or other horrible things. Not to like guilt trip you or anything, but it does happen regularly. Yet despite that, the number of civil responses to this hate greatly outnumbers the childish ones, I can promise you that.
Okay, so look at it this way: When some daddy/little girl fetish pops up on my dash, I gasp and quickly scroll past. Sometimes I'll even read what they have to say, but move on as it's not my thing. I don't message them saying they're sick and pedophiles because I know most of them only take part in that fetish if it's between two consenting adults. There are so many good, valid reasons I could give as to why it's wrong, like that it might offend children that were victims of sexual abuse as children, but, again, since I know most of them don't want to hurt anybody and are just enjoying themselves in their little internet niche, it really isn't a problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades

avatar

Posts : 2716
Join date : 2016-03-05
Location : 13th Beach

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:00 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Oh yeah I totally understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, so I'm not surprised that people are confused or turned off by it, but rather than steering clear of it, saying like, "Hey, that's not cool," or providing good reasons like you did (i.e. offending victim's families), we get told to kill ourselves or other horrible things. Not to like guilt trip you or anything, but it does happen regularly. Yet despite that, the number of civil responses to this hate greatly outnumbers the childish ones, I can promise you that.
Okay, so look at it this way: When some daddy/little girl fetish pops up on my dash, I gasp and quickly scroll past. Sometimes I'll even read what they have to say, but move on as it's not my thing. I don't message them saying they're sick and pedophiles because I know most of them only take part in that fetish if it's between two consenting adults. There are so many good, valid reasons I could give as to why it's wrong, like that it might offend children that were victims of sexual abuse as children, but, again, since I know most of them don't want to hurt anybody and are just enjoying themselves in their little internet niche, it really isn't a problem.

Makes sense. And I totally get where you're coming from, very eloquently put. I just happened to witness old-school online bullying and I was flabbergasted. and just to defend something like indulging into a romanticising killers as a hobby honestly is a pretty tough one. Hahah, like you said especially to outsiders or people who aren't willing to have an open mind. Unfortunately, there's a couple of people who don't explain themselves nicely or reasonably. Why a girl gotta get called a b***h for it? Sigh.

_________________
Will you remain my fire in this temporary paradise?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 1864
Join date : 2016-03-02
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:29 am

There is a reason this is really the only Columbine community I visit. Besides YT but I don't read the comments there. I don't visit tumblr or any other site that may have this kind of information. Simply because it is not really in my mind to care. If these people are not hurting anyone with their thoughts who cares what they think?

Is it weird to dream about them and fantasize about them? Perhaps to some people, but it doesn't affect my life at all. It doesn't hurt them or anyone else for them to think that way. Live and let live I say. And when provoked who doesn't attack? They feel their feelings are just as valid as anyone else's. And they are right. It isn't my place to tell them they are wrong or gross.


_________________
Hold me now I need to feel complete
Like I matter to the one I need
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sscc
Top 10 Contributor


Posts : 805
Join date : 2016-02-27

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:52 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
There is a reason this is really the only Columbine community I visit.  Besides YT but I don't read the comments there.  I don't visit tumblr or any other site that may have this kind of information.  Simply because it is not really in my mind to care.  If these people are not hurting anyone with their thoughts who cares what they think?  

Is it weird to dream about them and fantasize about them?  Perhaps to some people, but it doesn't affect my life at all.  It doesn't hurt them or anyone else for them to think that way.  Live and let live I say.  And when provoked who doesn't attack?  They feel their feelings are just as valid as anyone else's.  And they are right.  It isn't my place to tell them they are wrong or gross.  

I like your post and I agree. When I started reading about Columbine I chose to join this forum instead of other communities because it seems a much better fit for my preferences but I wouldn't try to stop anyone else from doing it and I don't really care. I figure that if it's not something you like, it's pretty easy to avoid.

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades

avatar

Posts : 2716
Join date : 2016-03-05
Location : 13th Beach

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:32 am

Sure, they'd Attack cause they get defensive of their own business. What I'm going about is that the way they go about the attacking is very telling of who they are, I guess. I guess it helps make it easier to divide who to stay away from. It'd be pretty embarrassing if they lashed out at somebody who knew a victim or knew the boys.

_________________
Will you remain my fire in this temporary paradise?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 1864
Join date : 2016-03-02
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:03 am

ultraviolencelv wrote:
Sure, they'd Attack cause they get defensive of their own business. What I'm going about is that the way they go about the attacking is very telling of who they are, I guess. I guess it helps make it easier to divide who to stay away from. It'd be pretty embarrassing if they lashed out at somebody who knew a victim or knew the boys.

Well you gotta remember you are trying to argue with teenagers. You would have better luck arguing with a 5 year old. Teenagers feel the need to be right and will take all the low blows to get there.

Sometimes I feel like you could take me at 28 and plop me back in highschool and I would fit. Other times I see highschool kids and am like OMFG wtf is wrong with kids nowadays...Get my a wheelchair!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kiwik

avatar

Posts : 362
Join date : 2016-04-09

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:30 pm

I wrote a really thought out response to this thread yesterday but something happened with my connection and I lost it. So this response is gonna be "meh" in comparison I'm sure.

But basically there are people like this for everything that has a following (and by following I mean it has fangirls/guys). It's kinda like when people get obsessed with celebrities, and some people just take it to delusional levels and you can't reason with them. It's just shame that there are so many extreme types that they're more well known than the rest of us and, they practically represent the whole community. And as a result you get "bad publicity" like Onision's video, where the whole true crime community gets mocked, bashed and frowned upon. Then we all look like a bunch of murder condoning groupies and when someone in your personal life finds out you're interested in this kinda stuff you get negatively judged for it. That's the part I don't like, and that's really the biggest thing that bothers me about the extreme fangirls. When you don't behave like that but get labeled as one of them b/c you happen to have similar interests (even of you like totally different aspects of the shared interest).

I Personally avoid sites like tumbler b/c in my experience most of it is way too fangirly for me. I like it here where we can have mature conversations and everyone can share their opinions, theories, and any other info. Plus I haven't run into any drama here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nirvana92

avatar

Posts : 360
Join date : 2015-04-21

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:25 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I Personally avoid sites like tumbler b/c in my experience most of it is way too fangirly for me. I like it here where we can have mature conversations and everyone can share their opinions, theories, and any other info. Plus I haven't run into any drama here.

Its just so ridiculous that there's drama within a community dedicated to a mass shooting. I mean the fact that "Columbiners" are a thing is ridiculous in itself, but the fact that there's drama is even more so. Why does it matter who is cuter, or who the better kisser would have been? These two child killers have been dead for 17 years now. These fangirls dont seem to understand that E/D would have killed them that day too. It can get really morbid on tumblr and that kind of behavior is the only thing that's ever made me feel weird about my interest in Columbine. I really hate to think that I'd be lumped into the same category as the attention seeking (and always edgey) fangirls.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PaintItBlack

avatar

Posts : 1744
Join date : 2014-02-11
Age : 31

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:02 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Okay so most of the Tumblr users I see that post the "romantic" stuff are fully aware of the crime that Eric and Dylan committed and don't excuse them. A lot of the people that sympathize with Eric and Dylan sympathize with their feelings of depression or anger, but DO NOT in any way want to commit any act of revenge. Tbh, I am one of those people.
I guess we can see ourselves in Eric and Dylan and (almost in a motherly way) want to love them and protect them. If we could go back and stop them from killing all those kids and themselves, we would. And because so many of us are teenagers, OF COURSE we are gonna fantasize about them. We all do it with movie stars, musicians, athletes, the popular guy at school, fictional characters, and other people that we don't actually know. I really think it's just a human thing to do, especially among teenage girls, and in this case, we fantasize about two boys about our age, perhaps with similar mental and social problems, who also killed people. Maybe that sounds crazy to other people, but as an 18 year old girl who has fantasized (both in a friendly context and ugh...more...) myself with KPop stars, 1 Direction, and many more guys, it honestly doesn't sound all that crazy.
A lot of us on Tumblr do "attack" people who confront us, but most of the people who confront us do so in a derogatory, hateful way. They call us "sick" or "freaks" and just like generally harass us. And most of the time these people aren't even in the "Columbine community" or "True Crime community;" they just ran across something we posted and flipped out at the thought of sympathizing with killers. Honestly, if it makes us happy and we aren't hurting ourself or others, I don't see what the big problem is. Most of us are sane people who can separate reality from fantasy and can reply in a civl manner, but remember that those who are civl and respectful rarely get any attention or notes. The more extreme people will always get the spotlight.

Beautifully written.I have said the same thing many times before.
Often Columbiners are minding their own business, not bothering anyone, not trying to get anyone to accept our beliefs on the boys when we are attacked often viciously out of nowhere.And that's often seen as okay because we are the minority viewpoint.

_________________
We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PaintItBlack

avatar

Posts : 1744
Join date : 2014-02-11
Age : 31

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:08 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I Personally avoid sites like tumbler b/c in my experience most of it is way too fangirly for me. I like it here where we can have mature conversations and everyone can share their opinions, theories, and any other info. Plus I haven't run into any drama here.

Its just so ridiculous that there's drama within a community dedicated to a mass shooting. I mean the fact that "Columbiners" are a thing is ridiculous in itself, but the fact that there's drama is even more so. Why does it matter who is cuter, or who the better kisser would have been? These two child killers have been dead for 17 years now. These fangirls dont seem to understand that E/D would have killed them that day too. It can get really morbid on tumblr and that kind of behavior is the only thing that's ever made me feel weird about my interest in Columbine. I really hate to think that I'd be lumped into the same category as the attention seeking (and always edgey) fangirls.


There are and always have been male Columbiners too....

All the Columbiner name represents is a group of people in a subculture who feel a certain way towards E & D which is very sympathetically.This varies on the spectrum from simple sympathy to intense devotion.
I understand why people don't like that we exist but we do so why shouldn't we have a way to identify ourselves? A group identity even though many Columbiners don't know each other?
I am one who appreciates that group identity very much.


_________________
We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nirvana92

avatar

Posts : 360
Join date : 2015-04-21

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:07 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I Personally avoid sites like tumbler b/c in my experience most of it is way too fangirly for me. I like it here where we can have mature conversations and everyone can share their opinions, theories, and any other info. Plus I haven't run into any drama here.

Its just so ridiculous that there's drama within a community dedicated to a mass shooting. I mean the fact that "Columbiners" are a thing is ridiculous in itself, but the fact that there's drama is even more so. Why does it matter who is cuter, or who the better kisser would have been? These two child killers have been dead for 17 years now. These fangirls dont seem to understand that E/D would have killed them that day too. It can get really morbid on tumblr and that kind of behavior is the only thing that's ever made me feel weird about my interest in Columbine. I really hate to think that I'd be lumped into the same category as the attention seeking (and always edgey) fangirls.


There are and always have been male Columbiners too....

All the Columbiner name represents is a group of people in a subculture who feel a certain way towards E & D which is very sympathetically.This varies on the spectrum from simple sympathy to intense devotion.
I understand why people don't like that we exist but we do so why shouldn't we have a way to identify ourselves? A group identity even though many Columbiners don't know each other?
I am one who appreciates that group identity very much.


And its you're right to call yourselves that, just like its my right to think its juvenile. I'm very sympathetic to E/D like many people on this board. We're talking about the horrible mass murder of 12 children and 1 brave teacher though. Why isn't "I research Columbine" enough? Maybe its just me, but I'd feel very uncomfortable being called a "Columbiner" at 24 years old. Why do you even need a banner for this hobby to begin with?

I saw a fan made Columbine "vore" comic on reddit recently. Its one thing to be sympathetic towards E/D, but cute cartoons with word balloons that say "hurry up and pass me Dylan so we can go shoot up the school!" is an entirely different thing. Why would I want to be associated with that crap? I can come here and have adult discussions about a very adult topic.

I don't want you to think I'm attacking you because that not my intention. I recognize that at the end of the day were all interested in the same heinous crime. I just can't understand why anyone would want to be called a "Columbiner". Whether you realize it or not the title trivializes the crime. On top of that you're giving the murdering bastards the fan base they craved. Think about the parents of the children who died. They have to live knowing their children's murderers have a growing fan base, and that in some cases people feel more sympathy for E/D than their victims. Hell the Columbiner community has even had its share of copycats, which isn't surprising in the slightest. The whole thing just leaves a terrible taste in my mouth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades

avatar

Posts : 2716
Join date : 2016-03-05
Location : 13th Beach

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:53 am

I'm not even hating on the extreme devotion and the activities aligned it within these very, very specific Columbine group, I'm focusing on the retaliation ways they put out when called out for it. It's very childish, rude and very telling of who they are. But as I said above, these people are just exposing who they are to me and to people I have seen getting bullied online for it, and now I know who to stay away from. It's not even a reasonable thing to defend about honestly - romanticising killers. It's a battle. I'm not even saying I hate it, In a minor way I glamorise too!, so I don't, I'm just saying it's very hard to try to convince someone that a hobby such as that is okay and doesn't make you creepy.

These kids are just getting ruder and braver over the internet.

_________________
Will you remain my fire in this temporary paradise?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PaintItBlack

avatar

Posts : 1744
Join date : 2014-02-11
Age : 31

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:44 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I Personally avoid sites like tumbler b/c in my experience most of it is way too fangirly for me. I like it here where we can have mature conversations and everyone can share their opinions, theories, and any other info. Plus I haven't run into any drama here.

Its just so ridiculous that there's drama within a community dedicated to a mass shooting. I mean the fact that "Columbiners" are a thing is ridiculous in itself, but the fact that there's drama is even more so. Why does it matter who is cuter, or who the better kisser would have been? These two child killers have been dead for 17 years now. These fangirls dont seem to understand that E/D would have killed them that day too. It can get really morbid on tumblr and that kind of behavior is the only thing that's ever made me feel weird about my interest in Columbine. I really hate to think that I'd be lumped into the same category as the attention seeking (and always edgey) fangirls.


There are and always have been male Columbiners too....

All the Columbiner name represents is a group of people in a subculture who feel a certain way towards E & D which is very sympathetically.This varies on the spectrum from simple sympathy to intense devotion.
I understand why people don't like that we exist but we do so why shouldn't we have a way to identify ourselves? A group identity even though many Columbiners don't know each other?
I am one who appreciates that group identity very much.


And its you're right to call yourselves that, just like its my right to think its juvenile. I'm very sympathetic to E/D like many people on this board. We're talking about the horrible mass murder of 12 children and 1 brave teacher though. Why isn't "I research Columbine" enough? Maybe its just me, but I'd feel very uncomfortable being called a "Columbiner" at 24 years old. Why do you even need a banner for this hobby to begin with?

I saw a fan made Columbine "vore" comic on reddit recently. Its one thing to be sympathetic towards E/D, but cute cartoons with word balloons that say "hurry up and pass me Dylan so we can go shoot up the school!" is an entirely different thing. Why would I want to be associated with that crap? I can come here and have adult discussions about a very adult topic.

I don't want you to think I'm attacking you because that not my intention. I recognize that at the end of the day were all interested in the same heinous crime. I just can't understand why anyone would want to be called a "Columbiner". Whether you realize it or not the title trivializes the crime. On top of that you're giving the murdering bastards the fan base they craved. Think about the parents of the children who died. They have to live knowing their children's murderers have a growing fan base, and that in some cases people feel more sympathy for E/D than their victims. Hell the Columbiner community has even had its share of copycats, which isn't surprising in the slightest. The whole thing just leaves a terrible taste in my mouth.

I don't feel attacked .It's just I'm by far the most active Columbiner here so when subjects like this come up,I feel a need to respond.Of course I don't approve of anything that actually condones the crime but I don't see much of that anymore.It was always in the minority but I saw more of that in the first 3 to 5 years .Of course I know it still exists but I think its only a tiny portion of the subculture.
I'm speaking honestly about what I have seen and still observe today.

I've explained here why I identify myself as a Columbiner and why I don't see the name as negative although I understand that others see it differently.

As far as the rest, I feel I can't fairly respond because I don't or never have considered this a hobby.
It's never been like that for me.

I also don't think of E &D as "murdering bastards" so I can't really speak to that either.

_________________
We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PaintItBlack

avatar

Posts : 1744
Join date : 2014-02-11
Age : 31

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:52 pm

ultraviolencelv wrote:
I'm not even hating on the extreme devotion and the activities aligned it within these very, very specific Columbine group, I'm focusing on the retaliation ways they put out when called out for it. It's very childish, rude and very telling of who they are. But as I said above, these people are just exposing who they are to me and to people I have seen getting bullied online for it, and now I know who to stay away from. It's not even a reasonable thing to defend about honestly - romanticising killers. It's a battle. I'm not even saying I hate it, In a minor way I glamorise too!, so I don't, I'm just saying it's very hard to try to convince someone that a hobby such as that is okay and doesn't make you creepy.

These kids are just getting ruder and braver over the internet.


I think it depends on what form the criticism takes.
It's one thing to say "I don't agree with you." or "I don't think what you are doing is right."

It's another to say"You're a horrible person." "I hope you and your family die a painful death." "I hope you get shot." and so on.
I have seen that kind of criticism directed to Columbiners who are not saying or doing anything aggressive or mean.
They are just posting on their own blogs or talking among themselves.

_________________
We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades

avatar

Posts : 2716
Join date : 2016-03-05
Location : 13th Beach

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:05 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I think it depends on what form the criticism takes.
It's one thing to say "I don't agree with you." or "I don't think what you are doing is right."

It's another to say"You're a horrible person." "I hope you and your family die a painful death." "I hope you get shot." and so on.
I have seen that kind of criticism directed to Columbiners who are not saying or doing anything aggressive or mean.
They are just posting on their own blogs or talking among themselves.

Well from the altercation I witnessed, it was the first form. It was eloquent, it was in a civil tone, and it said things that I happened to agree with at that point of time and I was glad the person shared the same sentiment that I did. It's not an order, it's not like saying Stop what you're doing but the post was almost like a form of PSA which everybody could see. The response to that from someone who was obviously a hardcore fan was the problem that not only I noticed. That individual was problematic, used vulgarities and took it personal. So I was cringed. Their hobby which is their hobby, their business as everyone says, had gotten way too deep for them that when someone makes a comment that differs from what they like they take to threats? It's childish, and didn't make them look good.

So I hope that the rest of avid Columbiners do not have the same exact attitude.

I mean can you imagine being called derogatory names from someone who is in love with a killer? It's making the person who's doing the calling out feel THEY'RE in the wrong when they are not at all. There's no wrong or right in a case like this but since when do groupies trample over a sensible outsider?

_________________
Will you remain my fire in this temporary paradise?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades

avatar

Posts : 2716
Join date : 2016-03-05
Location : 13th Beach

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:17 pm

From the way I see it, I think the avid fan was offended that the calling out brought them back to reality, that their fantasies will only remain delusions. I think they were offended that it was almost like a wake up call from the calling out. Because end of the day, it is true, these are two dead boys, which they're trying to make something out of it in their head but it will go nowhere.


_________________
Will you remain my fire in this temporary paradise?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kiwik

avatar

Posts : 362
Join date : 2016-04-09

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:18 pm

The reality is that if E&D never committed the massacre and were just guys that happened to go to the same school as a lot of their followers/admirers/fangirls/whatever, these girls/guys most likely wouldn't have given them the time of day. They would have seen Eric as weird and Dylan as having greasy hair. Just like the real people who went to school with them and actually knew them in Real Life saw them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades

avatar

Posts : 2716
Join date : 2016-03-05
Location : 13th Beach

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:06 am

That's it... Copycats strive for the same sensation.

Thing is, how'd they know, they're dead. Unless there's an afterlife somewhere with an Internet connection where they can see these things, the reality ought to be reinforced within these fans once in awhile. I think that's what the calling out basically did and the columbiner was offended by It.

People even claiming to be able to talk to the afterlife and are convinced Eric and Dylan have spoken to them and claim they love them? Girl please. See the thing about these avid fans as much as it has nothing to do with me at all, but just a pet peeve, 999 of them go around "claiming" the boys, E is mine, D is mine and list reasons why they are and fight amongst each other. Gosh. Do some yoga.

_________________
Will you remain my fire in this temporary paradise?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kiwik

avatar

Posts : 362
Join date : 2016-04-09

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:40 am

People do the same thing with dead celebrities. I've seen multiple people who claim River Phoenix channeled them from the afterlife and were highly defensive if anyone questioned their authenticity. I saw one person who had a blog dedicated to her contact with his spirit, and encouraged people to post questions for him that he would answer through her. This wasn't even a psychic medium, just some regular fan he supposedly "chose" to contact.  

A big problem is that dead people are so glorified in our society, particularly famous ones. And their admirers are usually desperate to feel connected to them and I guess some people just take it to this level. I don't know if they honestly believe they are in contact with the deceased spirits or if they're just doing it for attention, but I think that's taking it a little too far in my opinion. But trust me you'll find people like this anywhere there is something that has a fanbase.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rockiemontana



Posts : 49
Join date : 2016-02-03
Age : 50
Location : oregon

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:04 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
The reality is that if E&D never committed the massacre and were just guys that happened to go to the same school as a lot of their followers/admirers/fangirls/whatever, these girls/guys most likely wouldn't have given them the time of day. They would have seen Eric as weird and Dylan as having greasy hair. Just like the real people who went to school with them and actually knew them in Real Life saw them.

YES! I couldnt agree more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades

avatar

Posts : 2716
Join date : 2016-03-05
Location : 13th Beach

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:54 pm

Honestly, I guess I do not like the kids for being into the boys for the wrong reason and being so aggressive about their nonexistent love.

_________________
Will you remain my fire in this temporary paradise?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 1864
Join date : 2016-03-02
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:44 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
People do the same thing with dead celebrities. I've seen multiple people who claim River Phoenix channeled them from the afterlife and were highly defensive if anyone questioned their authenticity. I saw one person who had a blog dedicated to her contact with his spirit, and encouraged people to post questions for him that he would answer through her. This wasn't even a psychic medium, just some regular fan he supposedly "chose" to contact.  

A big problem is that dead people are so glorified in our society, particularly famous ones. And their admirers are usually desperate to feel connected to them and I guess some people just take it to this level. I don't know if they honestly believe they are in contact with the deceased spirits or if they're just doing it for attention, but I think that's taking it a little too far in my opinion. But trust me you'll find people like this anywhere there is something that has a fanbase.

This is very true. While it can be annoying to see others act in a way you feel is weird or incorrect at the end of the day I feel pretty meh about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Boys v.s. Girls
» Drow Attack on the refugee camp
» The Brawny Boys
» Taking a Break from Boys [Closed to David Shuter]
» 111021 Girls' Generation's the 3rd Album Title Song 'The Boys' is Now Available on 'TAP SONIC'!

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Thoughts on the Shooting-
Jump to: