Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
PaintItBlack
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:45 pm

I agree that all these longings that people have for the boys is never going to happen, but isn't it basically harmless? It kind of reminds me of all the people out there who are in love with celebrities.There are even web pages where people go to write stories or share their fantasies of them and there's almost no chance of these people's dreams coming true either, although I realize there is more of a chance there than with E &D.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:51 pm

I never said that it was harmful or not, I've just been stating from the start that they are very aggressive towards others who might be against it who said something, take to annoying personal threats while going all over the place with their annoying claim of a dead person that nobody except family and friends really knew.

That aside, I really wish people would stop comparing it to the love of celebrities. I have read that 1225 times. Honestly, really, it's not exactly the same. They are actual murderers. The context of the fangirling is the same, sure. But, it's whatever.

Not everybody is going to get where I'm coming from. Some have and that's good enough for me it's all I need.

Kiwik

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:24 am

Actually them being aggressive and making personal threats can be harmful and could even be considered as bullying if they take it far enough.

I get how that behavior can be annoying. There's a level of immaturity about it that would get under my skin too. I have no problem with sympathizers, as I sympathize with E&D too, to a degree. It would probably be easier if the extreme sympathizers who fantasize about E&D realized that their fantasies are not really of the norm, and not to resort to harassing, threatening or becoming aggressive if someone questions or doesn't understand the level of their obsession. Although I try to consider the age group, as a lot of the ones who act like that are likely still teenagers.

And I think I might have been the one who kept bringing up the celebrity comparison! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PaintItBlack
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:32 am

I wasn't trying to compare them to celebrities on most levels. I said that because there are many people out there who feel the same way about a celebrity that girls feel about E &D and what they dream of is never going to happen for those people either.

The fangirling or whatever you'd like to call it doesn't bother me because it's always been a part of this subculture.
It started very early on.And I honestly do see it as harmless but I can understand why new people coming into this would be taken aback by it at least at first.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:54 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] nah babygirl it's not you. It's not even continuously you haha, literally everybody will make that statement and I've seen them.

Nirvana92

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:19 am

ultraviolencelv wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] nah babygirl it's not you. It's not even continuously you haha, literally everybody will make that statement and I've seen them.

Yeah the comparison to celebrity culture is a misguided one for sure. Celebrities are usually loved for the work they do. Actors and musicians create art which people connect with. There is no equivalent with E/D and I think people are stretching the definition of "sympathize" to defend unhealthy obsessions. You can sympathize with the boys because of what they went through or how they felt before the massacre. Its something different entirely to viciously defend the two while simultaneously acknowledging that they killed 13 innocent people. If someone is capable of grasping the concept behind the crime then they should know that E/D should not and cannot be defended. Plenty of people in this world have dealt with metal illness and bullying as a teen, and yet 99.99% of them refrain from shooting up their schools. And lets be honest the only thing that makes E/D so unique is the fact that they shot up their school. If these teenage girls want a depressed teenage boy there's plenty of them out there. Longing over two who have been dead for 17 years because they killed themselves after shooting up their school can't be healthy in the long run.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:48 am

ultraviolencelv wrote:
I never said that it was harmful or not, I've just been stating from the start that they are very aggressive towards others who might be against it who said something, take to annoying personal threats while going all over the place with their annoying claim of a dead person that nobody except family and friends really knew.

That aside, I really wish people would stop comparing it to the love of celebrities. I have read that 1225 times. Honestly, really, it's not exactly the same. They are actual murderers. The context of the fangirling is the same, sure. But, it's whatever.

Not everybody is going to get where I'm coming from. Some have and that's good enough for me it's all I need.

We all have our own interests. And there is always going to be at least one person out there that thinks that interest is gross, annoying, weird etc. If someone were to come at you and say wow...look at you...this xxxhobby of yours is sick and disgusting and you need to stop. Wouldn't you be angry/upset with that person?

I dont want anyone to tell me what I can and cannot be interested in. It is not their place. I don't agree with bullying or being harmful in this situation at all but I think these people being picked on and picked apart have every right to defend themselves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PaintItBlack
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:22 pm

The comparison to the obsession people have with celebrities is not a perfect one or maybe even a great one but its the only one I could think of that had any similarity IMO.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:58 pm

Okay. I have no ill will for everyone's thoughts on this at all, I appreciate everyone's. And all of you make sense. I'm not exactly sure if I got my point out right at all or maybe I had a hard time cause I have no idea how to phrase it eloquently.

I myself agree with the fact that when a person has an interest, be it whatever it is even if it's extremely gross or problematic, illegal or will send you the hell, the main point is that it is THEIR business, so despite having opinions or complaints, it doesn't matter. and trust me I know that very very well.

I'm not even trying to start a discussion about people being avid fans of Eric and Dylan here. What I was trying to bring up was their RETALIATION when someone brought up their problematic activities online. I personally witnessed a blogger that I like get attacked by someone extremely rude, and pretty soon more of the groupies joined in and riled up on her. And the irony is that they're trying to defend something that is actually not exactly of the norm, not 100% accepted by most people and on top of that personally attack her with vulgarities and threats, making the point she brought up in a civil way seem wrong. She wasn't wrong at all. and what's more gross than a bunch of girls or maybe even a guy, and I'm not sure if they're kids or adults, go together to put down someone who simply made an observation and brought them back down to reality that their interest in two dead murderers is pure fantasy and being aggressive towards others who remind them that isn't right.

Like how salty and bitter are these people that take their hobby almost too personally that when they get reminded it's pure delusion, they lash out on not an outsider, but someone part of the Columbine community who wasn't even being hateful?
And I'm not even trying to search for a solution on this either, cause I know there will never be one. I just wanted to talk about it and wonder if others have witnessed something like this. Am I not alone in this experience?

x5000x

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:50 pm

Who knows? Who cares? People are stupid. Lots of stupid people in the world who focus on dumb shit like this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:56 pm

x5000x wrote:
Who knows? Who cares? People are stupid. Lots of stupid people in the world who focus on dumb shit like this.
Lol am I stupid for being bothered by it?

shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:20 am

Why spill things when you ain't gonna clean it up you know what I'm saying.

sscc
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:27 am

ultraviolencelv wrote:
omeone who simply made an observation and brought them back down to reality

Why was it her business to do this though? I can't understand starting a conversation meant to make people feel ashamed of or uncomfortable about their emotional reactions, thereby assuming the role of a superior person and then complaining about the response. If she thinks the people are immature, what did she expect? It was intended to get a rise out of people and when she gets a rise out of them, she pretends not to understand why or gets offended? Pretty easy to solve that whole thing by not making public observations about other people in the first place.

shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:06 am

sscc wrote:
Why was it her business to do this though? I can't understand starting a conversation meant to make people feel ashamed of or uncomfortable about their emotional reactions, thereby assuming the role of a superior person and then complaining about the response. If she thinks the people are immature, what did she expect? It was intended to get a rise out of people and when she gets a rise out of them, she pretends not to understand why or gets offended? Pretty easy to solve that whole thing by not making public observations about other people in the first place.

You have a point.
Hm, I think you pretty much made the best closing argument on here really.

Falcolus

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:21 am

This topic comes up always on this forum, and pretty much is never resolved.

Important to note both sides of the opinion, last time things got quite out of hand.

Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:29 am

sscc wrote:
ultraviolencelv wrote:
omeone who simply made an observation and brought them back down to reality

I agree. When you poke a snake with a stick you should expect to be bitten.

Some of these people are not dealing with a full deck of cards. They may be young and defensive. Not all of course but when you decide to retaliate against someone like this it isn't right but should be expected at least to some extent.

Again part of the reason I only really hang out here
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:34 am

Oh and @Ultraviolence...I hope you don't feel like I was picking you apart. I didnt mean it that way!

View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:19 am

Lizpuff wrote:
Oh and @Ultraviolence...I hope you don't feel like I was picking you apart. I didnt mean it that way
nah you my girl it's totally good. You weren't making wrong points anyway.

Magnaphoria

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:53 pm

ultraviolencelv wrote:
go together to put down someone who simply made an observation and brought them back down to reality that their interest in two dead murderers is pure fantasy and being aggressive towards others who remind them that isn't right.

Like how salty and bitter are these people that take their hobby almost too personally that when they get reminded it's pure delusion.

Har har har, I post once in a blue moon but my jimmies have been rustled. Alright , they love and photoshop flowers on two dead mass murderers. Are they planning a shooting? Are they planning to hurt/bully someone? If the answer is no, then I can't see how you can call someone who's eavesdropping on these people telling them 'ew disgusting fagets" morally superior and righteous. You're asking for it , considering you're trying to argue with a bunch of teenagers on Tumblr.

Spank the gorilla and you'll get assblasted know what I'm sayin :^)

Edit: I'm not targetting YOU with this , it's a general statement.

Last edited by Magnaphoria on Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:23 pm

Why does it sound like everyone's gleeful she's getting attacked though O.0 Lol.

shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:31 pm

I can't speak for her but that seemed to be the first time she made a public PSA such as that nature so I'm gonna assume she had no idea of the repercussions. If she knew, then, just being a sole person tryna explain herself obviously wasn't enough. Stan culture is stan culture and the game is strong man.

Jenn
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:52 pm

Normally, I try to remain as biased as I can being the owner and all, and you kind of have to be biased when you own a place like this. But once in awhile, I step in and say something and this is one of those times.

These 'fans' such as the ones over on Tumblr obsessing over Dylan and Eric, acting like they are heroes and everything else that goes along with being a fan, are not 'harmless' and comparing them to girls having crushes on dead rock stars or dead actors is NOT the same damn thing. And it will NEVER been the same damn thing. Most, if not all, of the school shooters that emerge these days, whether they actually went through with the shooting, backed out or were caught, ALL had some kind of obsession with Columbine. You know, like Cho and Lanza. I guess those 'fans' were harmless too, right?

The last time I checked, fans of people like River Phoenix didn't go around claiming how teenage murderers should be praised or carrying on about how they were Gods. Thankfully, for a good majority of these hardcore fans, it is just a phase and they grow out of it, but not always. Sometimes these "harmless fans" turn out to be Adam Lanza.

And I'd love for someone to go ahead and tell the families of 13 people that Dylan and Eric ruthlessly murdered that their fans are "harmless" and what they are doing is "innocent". I am not connected to this tragedy in any way whatsoever (besides running a message board) and comments like that offend even me, so I can only imagine how the families feel about this behavior.

sscc
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:05 pm

Jenn wrote:
Most, if not all, of the school shooters that emerge these days, whether they actually went through with the shooting, backed out or were caught, ALL had some kind of obsession with Columbine. You know, like Cho and Lanza. I guess those 'fans' were harmless too, right?

The last time I checked, fans of people like River Phoenix didn't go around claiming how teenage murderers should be praised or carrying on about how they were Gods. Thankfully, for a good majority of these hardcore fans, it is just a phase and they grow out of it, but not always. Sometimes these "harmless fans" turn out to be Adam Lanza.
Lanza and Cho, as far as I know, are not even really the type of person that this thread was referring to. They didn't go around in real life or on the internet proclaiming their love for Eric and Dylan. Cho certainly thought they were heroes, Lanza probably not.

Do you think that if someone had come onto the old message board and given the members a stern talking-to that Adam Lanza would never have hurt anyone?

You say that the families of the victims are offended by the behavior on tumblr and other places like that. Do you think it's possible that if they came across this forum they'd be offended? There's nothing over the top here but there is certainly a huge focus on Eric and Dylan. Fifty threads about them for every one that mentions even one victim. I'm sure that many people who stumbled across your forum would see the members here as being as obsessed and deranged as you see the fangirls. It's all relative.

If you really believe that there's no way to tell the difference between a real threat and someone going through a phase, then how do you deal with running the forum? Aren't you contributing to this glorifying of killers, even if you're not doing it yourself, by providing access to information and a way for people with a Columbine obsession to indulge? There's even an individual section devoted to Cho and Lanza's crimes now.

Kiwik

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:17 am

Just wanted to clarify that I only used the River Phoenix fan reference in response to a post discussing E&D fangirls claiming to contact them from the afterlife. It was supposed to be an example of the delusional lengths people will go to in order to get attention and/or feel connected to a dead person of status. It wasn't meant to compare River's fans to those who obsess over E&D. Embarassed

I'm not really active in the columbine community outside of this forum, but I have seen very similar incidents in other communities, and it sounds pretty familiar to what's being discussed in this thread, so I figure you're just going to find that kind of mentality anywhere there is a community of people sharing a common interest, whether it involves famous or infamous people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PaintItBlack
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:37 am

Jenn wrote:
Normally, I try to remain as biased as I can being the owner and all, and you kind of have to be biased when you own a place like this. But once in awhile, I step in and say something and this is one of those times.

These 'fans' such as the ones over on Tumblr obsessing over Dylan and Eric, acting like they are heroes and everything else that goes along with being a fan, are not 'harmless' and comparing them to girls having crushes on dead rock stars or dead actors is NOT the same damn thing. And it will NEVER been the same damn thing. Most, if not all, of the school shooters that emerge these days, whether they actually went through with the shooting, backed out or were caught, ALL had some kind of obsession with Columbine. You know, like Cho and Lanza. I guess those 'fans' were harmless too, right?

And I'd love for someone to go ahead and tell the families of 13 people that Dylan and Eric ruthlessly murdered that their fans are "harmless" and what they are doing is "innocent". I am not connected to this tragedy in any way whatsoever (besides running a message board) and comments like that offend even me, so I can only imagine how the families feel about this behavior.

I think and said it was harmless because I believe that as long as the people doing it don't hurt anyone or plan to hurt anyone in my opinion, it basically is.I realize others disagree and that's fine but that's belief on it.
People have all kinds of hobbies and obsessions that they gather online to speak of which I personally think are gross( there is all kinds of bizarre sexual community's out there and you can come across them sometimes while looking for something else) and the stuff they are into repulses me but I admit that as long as they aren't hurting anyone they have every right to gather ,share and talk about what they wish.

As far as the families of the victims goes all I can say is that I would advise them not to go looking for comments about their loved ones outside of designated safe spaces because they no doubt wouldn't like what they find even though from what I see most Columbiners talk of the victims respectfully.
I would advise anyone who has lost a friend or loved one the same thing because people often say the nastiest things about random people who have died.
About 6 years ago a teenage girl died in a car crash who lived a few towns away from me.She veered off the road and hit a telephone pole.
As far as I know no drugs or alcohol were involved.When I went to look up articles about what happened,I was surprised to see nasty comments about the girl in the comments sections of the articles.And you could tell many of these people likely did not know her.
Several people made the comment that she" got exactly what she deserved." ,because teen drivers are known to be so stupid and reckless.And a few comments were worse than that .
That is one of many incidents that shown me that its not safe to go out looking on the web about your deceased loved one.
It's just not. It's best to stick to authorized memorials that have tight controls or webpages set up by family and friends.

I don't mean to offend anyone and I hope that I didn't offend anyone but those on my beliefs on the subject.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:38 am

The aforementioned River Phoenix died from a drug overdose. he did not go out shooting people or committing any violence. So comparing his fans to Eric and Dylan's fans seems off. But like sscc stated, any or all of us could be seen as potential violent criminals because here we all are interested in a 17 year old crime where children were murdered ruthlessly.

The true crime community including Columbine is huge. There are websites books and TV channels dedicated to bringing people in touch with various crimes. There are probably people who watch those shows trying to get tips on how to kill their wives and get away with it sure, but does that mean that the show needs to go away?

In 20 years probably most of those people will no longer even think about Columbine. Just because there have been several copy cat killers doesn't mean much to me. that is such a small percentage of that population.

I don't think they are any more harmful than the fans of River going out and overdosing on drugs at a bar while the band plays on....

View user profile
Kiwik

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:28 am

The comparison to River Phoenix was only in response to another post about E&D fangirls claiming to have communicated with them in the afterlife, which I've seen before in the blog I referenced as an example where a fan (not a professional psychic or medium, just a fan) was claiming they had been contacted by River. And that's the only reason I made the comparison between his fans and E&D's, because I had seen this instance before outside of the columbine community. Just comparing my experience with how far some people will go when they're obsessed.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that obsession is still obsession regardless of the interest. Some of them turn out to be dangerous and some don't. I don't think it's healthy for anyone to be obsessed with another person, and it's probably even less healthy if that person is deceased, and it can tread dangerous territory (depending on the sanity of the person) if that deceased person was also a murderer. So I'm aware there's a difference between idolizing a celebrity and idolizing a murderer, and I apologize for any confusion caused! ;)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:32 am

Kiwik wrote:
The comparison to River Phoenix was only in response to another post about E&D fangirls claiming to have communicated with them in the afterlife,  which I've seen before in the  blog I referenced as an example where a fan (not a professional psychic or medium, just a fan) was claiming they had been contacted by River. And that's the only reason I made the comparison between his fans and E&D's, because I had seen this instance before outside of the columbine community. Just comparing my experience with how far some people will go when they're obsessed.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that obsession is still obsession regardless of the interest. Some of them turn out to be dangerous and some don't. I don't think it's healthy for anyone to be obsessed with another person, and it's probably even less healthy if that person is deceased, and it can tread dangerous territory (depending on the sanity of the person) if that deceased person was also a murderer. So I'm aware there's a difference between idolizing a celebrity and idolizing a murderer, and I apologize for any confusion caused!  ;)

I wasn't trying to pick that apart. I was just kind of riled up by the idea that just because someone is interested in a crime means they are at a higher risk of committing a similar crime!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kiwik

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:03 pm

Agreed! There are so many people who are interested in the criminology/psychological aspects of true crime. Just b/c the interest is there doesn't mean the person is planning a murder spree of their own!

But as far as the subject of this thread goes, I've seen people become aggressive with others who didn't share the same opinions as them in other communities unrelated to true crime. I've seen it get to the point where they've resorted to harassing, making threats, throwing personal criticisms unrelated to the disagreement at each other, and entire groups of people jumping on one person. Even in cases where the person who disagreed did it in a way that was not confrontational or offensive. So it doesn't just happen in the columbine/true crime community. Some people take things too far in "fandoms", and unfortunately that's what gets the most publicity and makes the whole community look bad, which is why I usually get turned off to certain interests haha.

That's why I like it here, we can all agree to disagree and discuss things like mature adults.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aquillina

PostSubject: Re: When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack   Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:41 pm

Regardless of the fandom, no one in the world should ever condone violence in general. It's never the solution to any problem and never will be.

When Those Who Romanticise The Boys Attack
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next