Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Dylan Klebold's suicide

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
InsaneIntruder
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:35 pm

Apparently, when Dylan Klebold commit suicide, he also was drowning in his own blood. People said this was caused by the way that he shot himself. A similar thing happened to Pekka Eric Auvinen, as he tried to shoot himself in the temple (like VoDkA) but only died when they brought him to hospital. What are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Moonshadow
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:15 am

Yeah, I have read that many people who commit suicide do this in a failed way: shooting oneself in the temple does not necessarily lead to immediate death, as it might leave the brainstem and cerebellum - that are responsible for the most important physiological functions - intact.

Eric did it in a more effective way, shooting himself in the mouth, so that he died at once.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:36 am

pretty sure the lovely [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] went in detail about this in this thread [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I believe I have read another thread a long time ago on this forum discussing the same thing if you would like to peruse. But I think that thread I gave is detailed enough.

Last edited by ultraviolencelv on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Moonshadow
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:08 am

Awww, thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenn
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:40 am

My thoughts are that drowning in his own blood is probably what caused Dylan to finally die. I'm not saying that shooting himself in the temple wouldn't have killed him anyway, but he did not die instantly after shooting himself, like Eric did. Dylan was breathing in blood which most likely caused him to drown.

shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:28 am

I wonder if they ever discussed between themselves how they wanted to shoot themselves? Probably not. But if they did I wonder if Dylan thought to take some pointers from Eric but he still decided to do the way he desired.

spinvault

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:54 pm

I have wondered when Dylan saw the damage done to Eric's head and his immediate death did that change how Dylan committed suicide. Did Dylan have an idea how he was going to kill himself when the time arrived,or did he change the way he killed himself because of him seeing Eric's body after he killed himself? Like so many Columbine questions, we will never know the answer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:59 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I have wondered when Dylan saw the damage done to Eric's head and his immediate death did that change how Dylan committed suicide. Did Dylan have an idea how he was going to kill himself when the time arrived,or did he change the way he killed himself because of him seeing Eric's body after he killed himself? Like so many Columbine questions, we will never know the answer.

I absolutely wish I knew this too. Like he was willing to suffer because he saw the damage it did to Eric. That's why I wonder if they both ever discussed how they wanted to off themselves, so casually like picking an outfit to wear.

Nirvana92

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:44 pm

I've always thought that Dyaln's suicide was due to ignorance more than anything. Most suicidal people don't realize that the lower part of the brain controls the automatic organ functions. The majority of folks think a gun shot to the head is fatal because of how its portrayed in movies. Instant death only comes when the brain stem or reptilian parts of the brain are destroyed. Adam Lanza is said to have pointed his pistol to the back of his head for that very reason. Any other angle risks a prolonged and painful death, and a shot to the head doesn't mean instant loss of consciousness either.

Keep in mind that Dylan made a ritual out of his suicide. He took off his jewelry and put them in a pile before lighting one last cocktail. Maybe his teenage mentality wanted his death to look "cool"? Maybe he wanted that feeling of holding a gun to his head before pulling the trigger? This is the kid who went to the trouble of coordinating what he was gonna wear on NBK after all. Hell maybe Dyaln shot himself knowing it wouldn't kill him instantly? Maybe he wanted to suffer a little before death?

For some reason I just have a hard time imagining that Erics death spooked Dylan. They'd spent the past hour shooting people, so he knew by then what a gunshot would do. Plus Dylan was in on NBK solely to die. He didnt care about open caskets or that his parents would want an open casket. IMO its just a case of Dylan going out the way he wanted, even if it wasnt the most effective method.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vii

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:35 pm

I'm sure seeing Eric dead gave him the courage to pull the trigger on himself. I doubt he'd have had guts to do it first.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:21 am

I've always thought that Dyaln's suicide was due to ignorance more than anything. Most suicidal people don't realize that the lower part of the brain controls the automatic organ functions. The majority of folks think a gun shot to the head is fatal because of how its portrayed in movies. Instant death only comes when the brain stem or reptilian parts of the brain are destroyed. Adam Lanza is said to have pointed his pistol to the back of his head for that very reason. Any other angle risks a prolonged and painful death, and a shot to the head doesn't mean instant loss of consciousness either.

Keep in mind that Dylan made a ritual out of his suicide. He took off his jewelry and put them in a pile before lighting one last cocktail. Maybe his teenage mentality wanted his death to look "cool"? Maybe he wanted that feeling of holding a gun to his head before pulling the trigger? This is the kid who went to the trouble of coordinating what he was gonna wear on NBK after all. Hell maybe Dyaln shot himself knowing it wouldn't kill him instantly? Maybe he wanted to suffer a little before death?

For some reason I just have a hard time imagining that Erics death spooked Dylan. They'd spent the past hour shooting people, so he knew by then what a gunshot would do. Plus Dylan was in on NBK solely to die. He didnt care about open caskets or that his parents would want an open casket. IMO its just a case of Dylan going out the way he wanted, even if it wasnt the most effective method.

I agree with the first part, i think he just was ignorant and thought that the bullet to the temple would kill him.
However it has been proven that the police removed his jewelry not Dylan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:08 am

@Lizpuff My thoughts? After working every kind of death you can dream of as an Assistant Medical Examiner, aside from being burned alive, the sight of a 12 gauge shotgun wound to the head is gruesome. We can all see some of the damage to Eric's head, but I assure you what we didn't see was not for the feint of heart.

I don't know that Eric had a full understanding of what his suicide would do to his head, so I feel like he went ahead with it, neither knowing or caring the outcome. (I do have to say, his poor parents having to see the horror is heartbreaking, as it always is. It's a possibility they did not see him and I pray that is the case).

In my opinion, I think Dylan saw the devastation of Eric's 12 gauge suicide and decided he didn't want to go out that way. Of course, this is my speculation.

As an aside, I don't know how many have seen the full color autopsy photo of JFK, but the hole in his head looks like a Skittle compared to some shotgun blasts to the head.

@shades - were you at one point ultraviolent? I have certainly missed you and your wonderful thoughts, if this is you.
Back to top Go down
NotYourRobot

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:54 am

How long after Eric shot himself did Dylan go through with it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:56 am

Tomb wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - were you at one point ultraviolent? I have certainly missed you and your wonderful thoughts, if this is you.
Yes I was and I miss you toooo!!!!

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:04 pm

@shades Thank you so much and I have missed you too! You rock!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:08 pm

@shades wrote:
Tomb wrote:
@shades - were you at one point ultraviolent? I have certainly missed you and your wonderful thoughts, if this is you.
Yes I was and I miss you toooo!!!!

It was very quick, but I don't have the exact time between suicides.
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:40 am

Well I think they stopped shooting at the cops at 12:05 PM. At 12:08 PM a sprinkler turned on inside the Library because of a pipe bomb or Molotov that exploded on top of table [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Eric's brain matter was found underneath of this exploded bomb. So either Eric lit this bomb and then sat down and killed himself before it exploded or Dylan did it either while Eric was committing suicide or shortly after. Eric definitely died before 12:08 PM because it's the only way his brain matter could be underneath this bomb that the sprinkles turned on at 12:08 PM to put out.

I'd imagine Dylan was seconds to a few minutes after. By the time the cops found their bodies, both of the boys had large blood pools and dried blood on their faces. So they had been dead for awhile at that point. If I had to guess, I'd say Eric killed himself at 12:07 PM and Dylan probably right after at 12:08 PM.

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:07 am

Yeah, we know Eric committed suicide first for sure based on the body's positions and brain matter location.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:16 pm

I also hope that his parents didn't see him and I doubt they did.
They didn't need them to identify him and outside of that there was no reason to see him in such a state.It would have only added to their already immense pain. It was better for them to remember him as the vibrant, healthy,young boy he was.

Tomb wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] My thoughts? After working every kind of death you can dream of as an Assistant Medical Examiner, aside from being burned alive, the sight of a 12 gauge shotgun wound to the head is gruesome. We can all see some of the damage to Eric's head, but I assure you what we didn't see was not for the feint of heart.

I don't know that Eric had a full understanding of what his suicide would do to his head, so I feel like he went ahead with it, neither knowing or caring the outcome. (I do have to say, his poor parents having to see the horror is heartbreaking, as it always is. It's a possibility they did not see him and I pray that is the case).

In my opinion, I think Dylan saw the devastation of Eric's 12 gauge suicide and decided he didn't want to go out that way. Of course, this is my speculation.

As an aside, I don't know how many have seen the full color autopsy photo of JFK, but the hole in his head looks like a Skittle compared to some shotgun blasts to the head.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - were you at one point ultraviolent? I have certainly missed you and your wonderful thoughts, if this is you.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:27 pm

@PaintItBlack, it is very surprising how many bereaved, grieving family members with arrive at the morgue and insist on seeing their loved ones. Natural death is not AS bad as say suicide, gunshots to the head, being beaten to death, burned alive, etc.

We are trained, and mostly succeed, in dissuading family members from viewing the remains, in particular if the death was heinous and/or violent. But, there are those that are insistent and it is heartbreaking to observe their reactions.

I say all that to say that I don't believe the Harrises viewed his remains at all, including inside the casket if he was buried.
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:57 pm

Tomb wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], it is very surprising how many bereaved, grieving family members with arrive at the morgue and insist on seeing their loved ones. Natural death is not AS bad as say suicide, gunshots to the head, being beaten to death, burned alive, etc.

We are trained, and mostly succeed, in dissuading family members from viewing the remains, in particular if the death was heinous and/or violent. But, there are those that are insistent and it is heartbreaking to observe their reactions.

I say all that to say that I don't believe the Harrises viewed his remains at all, including inside the casket if he was buried.
I have heard that there are people who feel they need that for closure no matter how much pain it adds.

I can only sincerely hope his parents didn't see him.
If Eric had been my son I couldn't have stood to have seen him like that and that be my last memory of him on this Earth, but I would understand if someone felt that's what they had to do.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:35 pm

It is awful, and there are times when the family leaves, I need a "bathroom break" just to cry for their pain and suffering. Even though this is my job, I would not be able to see my loved ones in that manner, nor would I want them to see me.

I hope neither Eric's or Dylan's families have seen the suicide photos online. Some things, you can't unsee and that photo would ensure further suffering.
Back to top Go down
Amarantha

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:35 am

As far as I know, Sue Klebold is well aware of that 'infamous' library photo, it's mentioned in her book. So yes. she pretty much saw what she needn't to see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:52 am

@Amarantha wrote:
As far as I know, Sue Klebold is well aware of that 'infamous' library photo, it's mentioned in her book. So yes. she pretty much saw what she needn't to see.

Dylan, after being prepared by the funeral home, probably looked ok. He had a smaller caliber bullet wound and funeral homes are truly miracle workers in the things they can do to make corpses presentable. He had an open casket, and I believe they had strategically arranged beanie babies around the wound to his head in an effort to hide it. Correct me if I'm wrong. I've always found the whole beanie baby thing weird.
Back to top Go down
TheWitcher

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:42 am

I think that D killed himself seconds after E had commited a suicide. It's hard to imagine that D didn't panic while seeing his massively wounded friend and took his time to spend few minutes with E's body. IMHO D would choose other place in library to end his life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:19 pm

Whether Dylan's reaction was sadness, fear, trembling, we will NEVER KNOW. but YES, he died after Eric, and infront of him, and most likely in a matter of seconds. I don't know why people still ponder as to how frightened he may be or why he didn't die somewhere else. There isn't much to think about. His endgame was suicide regardless and his best friend died before him so, he probably needed to have that happen to finally kill himself.

We don't even know if they discussed amongst themselves if they should commit suicide at the same time or not. These are questions which will never be answered but I would like to know though. Why? Because I wanna know if Eric forgot about their pact and offed himself first or it was just an impromptu thing and Eric decided to go fast.

hvernon

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:28 pm

I think that's just the worst. I feel so bad for Sue. She really didn't need to see that photo. I mean, he had an open casket funeral so he either looked well enough for it or the funeral workers cleaned him up enough. Seeing those photos would be truly devastating to me because you know longer have that image of your son at peace like you did at the funeral. You now know the real horror behind it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:27 pm

She was also given walk through in the library to see the result of the carnage including the spot he died right? **So, she's had a gist in person.

Last edited by shades on Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kiwik

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:50 pm

I was sure I read in an article somewhere a while back that Eric's dad went to identify his body, but I can't place which one it was... I think it was also mentioned in this article that Eric's dad thought his interest in explosives seemed normal for someone who was planning on joining the military.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Dylan Klebold's suicide   Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:25 am

Well I think they stopped shooting at the cops at 12:05 PM. At 12:08 PM a sprinkler turned on inside the Library because of a pipe bomb or Molotov that exploded on top of table [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Eric's brain matter was found underneath of this exploded bomb. So either Eric lit this bomb and then sat down and killed himself before it exploded or Dylan did it either while Eric was committing suicide or shortly after. Eric definitely died before 12:08 PM because it's the only way his brain matter could be underneath this bomb that the sprinkles turned on at 12:08 PM to put out.

I'd imagine Dylan was seconds to a few minutes after. By the time the cops found their bodies, both of the boys had large blood pools and dried blood on their faces. So they had been dead for awhile at that point. If I had to guess, I'd say Eric killed himself at 12:07 PM and Dylan probably right after at 12:08 PM.

The smoke alarm was activated but the sprinklers never came on in the Library.

She was also given walk through in the library to see the result of the carnage including the spot he died right? So, she's had a gist person.

Some people were brought back into the school around May/June 1999.

Pages 016089-016266 - Crime Scene Log

The Klebold's were there on June 3 1999 for just over an hour. Did not see anything about the Harris family though.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Dylan Klebold's suicide
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next