Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
X-Raided

PostSubject: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:57 pm

If any of you aren't familiar "My Twisted World" is the manifesto/autobiography written by 2014 Santa Barbra killer Elliot Rodger. I've read it once and I'm reading it again. I would recommend it to all of you here. Elliot is a great writer and the book is compelling and exciting.

5 things really stand out to me:

1. Elliot's total lack of social skills. I don't know where specifically Elliot mentions it, and it might have been mentioned multiple times. Elliot is literally incapable of starting a conversation, so on a nightly basis while at his college he walks around streets for hours and hours hoping someone would stop and talk to him. Quite sad, actually.

2. Elliot's crying fits. Even into his 20's he always cries.

3. Elliot's impulsiveness. There are multiple instances where Elliot attacks others simply for being happier than he is. For example, multiple college kids are hanging out and having fun. Elliot is filled with "envious rage", so he drive to K-Mart, buys a Super Soaker and orange juice, drives back to the college kids, fills the Super Soaker with orange juice, and attacks them with it.

4. Elliot's tendency to mix reality with fantasy. You get the sense that when Elliot refers to himself as "magnificent and what not, he both seriously means it, and yet doesn't truly mean it at the same time, as if he only says it to entertain himself and boost his confidence.

5. Elliot's tone. The tone he writes with is strange. The tone is funny and serious at the same time. The tone is sarcastic and honest at the same time. The tone is resigned and intense at the same time. It is fascinating
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spac3case

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:27 am

im surprised you read it. how long is it?

I honestly cant stand his bullshit and blind tone. How he expects people to hand him stuff. fuck him
Back to top Go down
View user profile
X-Raided

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:33 am

I believe there is 138 pages with 3 blank pages at the end. Sometimes it's hard to tell if he TRULY expects things to be handed to him or if he just says that to mask his own incompetence. I think there's a some of both. It is really interesting though, and at points it is outright hilarious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:26 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I believe there is 138 pages with 3 blank pages at the end. Sometimes it's hard to tell if he TRULY expects things to be handed to him or if he just says that to mask his own incompetence. I think there's a some of both. It is really interesting though, and at points it is outright hilarious.

I can probably google but can you find it online?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSpiral
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:47 am

His manifesto is just cringe inducing in my opinion, just like Dylan's.

Now everybody dancing, the dance of the dead
The dance of the dead, the dance of the dead
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amarantha

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:16 am

This might sound weird, but I think that Elliot was a good writer. Despite his pain, he kept track of his thoughts and recalled far memories that sometimes being lost in your own psychological pain makes very hard to remember.
Of course his will to shine everywhere without him letting go of his envy was bothering me in every paragraph, but this Manifesto was written exceptionally clearly. Calculating which word was a better fit to put in each sentence and such things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sscc
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:12 pm

I can probably google but can you find it online?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

shades

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:14 pm

This is Elliot's favourite song.

Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:05 pm

I am finishing reading this. He reminds me of Dylan. Except he doesn't just want love he just wants Sex. He thinks sex will make him so happy. I wonder if he would have had a gf who broke up with him what he would have done to her....

View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:54 pm

Sorry to double post but I just finished his manifesto.

I have to say, reading Eric and Dylan's journals even knowing who they were and what they did I was never scared. I was scared reading what Elliot wrote.

His ego is so inflated. I lost count of the number of times he speaks of how great he is. His social anxiety makes it so he can never go up to any women in a normal manner but somehow expects everyone to come to him.

When he injured himself at the party all he could think about was finding a woman to sleep with him to make himself feel better

And then it ends with the note about how again he is magnificent and perfect, but everyone else is to blame. He is the true victim.

Unlike Dylan who never really mentioned his type of girl Elliot mentions names of girls he likes as well as over and over and over talking about tall, tan, white blonde girls.

Although his writing made me ill, he was a pretty good writer and had a vast vocab and a great memory of his life.

View user profile
shades

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:57 pm

How would you guys compare his manifesto to his videos? Those are a good laugh.

Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:00 pm

How would you guys compare his manifesto to his videos? Those are a good laugh.

I find it interesting he thought putting up those videos would get him a date for one thing....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:05 pm

I liken him a bit to Eric in a way. I think both Eric and Elliot are good looking guys. So the fact that neither of them could get a real gf means it just must be their personalities.

Elliot kept going on about how girls must not find him attractive. I think probably a few girls did find him attractive physically but his personality was just off.

When he is prancing about talking about how great he is or on the opposite side, when he is talking about sitting in a coffee shop staring at everyone (or should I say glaring) it is a major turn off for sure.

View user profile
shades

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:06 pm

I would take Eric over Elliot in a second thank you very much bahahah Cool

Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:08 pm

I would take Eric over Elliot in a second thank you very much bahahah Cool

Ha! He talks about being so polite. I cannot help but compare him to Eric in that way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
X-Raided

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:34 pm

Everyone sees the narcissistic side of Elliot, but doesn't see the incredibly shy side.Elliot constantly talks about how he falls short of living up to what other guys are doing and how he feels inferior. I can't help but think that his narcissism is in part a cover up for feelings of inferiority.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
X-Raided

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:35 pm

Everyone sees the narcissistic side of Elliot, but doesn't see the incredibly shy side.Elliot constantly talks about how he falls short of living up to what other guys are doing and how he feels inferior. I can't help but think that his narcissism is in part a cover up for feelings of inferiority.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:10 pm

Elliot is crazy. He is a narcissist. How can a narcissist be conscious enough to realise they are hiding being inferior? Shouldn't a narcissist think of themselves as great by default thus his reaction to questioning why nothing goes his way cause he generally expects things to be as so? Eric is nothing like Elliot. Eric does put up a front. Does that make him a narcissist?
Most straight guys have that whole alpha male complex. A lot of normal men complain when they don't get women after being the Nice Guy. Hell perhaps some of them genuinely do things by the book but don't get the girls because maybe they aren't the particular girl's type. It's no mystery how men can be these days you know.

shades

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:16 pm

The break down is so easy. Elliot by people's account doesn't even talk. He doesn't talk at all. Many people have tried helping him and he wouldn't take it Nor respond to it. Elliot is legitimately insane. Eric simply reacts the same way to rejection or being left out but he was a normal dude, he could actually talk to girls and have dated girls, kissed them on the cheek too.

Rodgers was koo koo for cocoa puffs from the get go and I think he did the best thing he could for himself, just unfortunate for the people he killed with him.

shades

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:27 pm

A lot of men act like women owe them shit. They're not crazy, they're just men. Elliot is not a man, Elliot was a crazy person. You know who he reminds me more of? Seung Cho.

Amarantha

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:48 am

How can a narcissist be conscious enough to realise they are hiding being inferior?

People generally become narcissists when they subconsciously realize that they don't fit in or they ain't worth shit. It's just hypercompensation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sscc
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:04 am

A lot of men act like women owe them shit. They're not crazy, they're just men. Elliot is not a man, Elliot was a crazy person. You know who he reminds me more of? Seung Cho.
Where do we draw the distinction between "man" and "crazy person?" If we go by crazy person meaning "willing to kill for being ignored, rejected or bullied" then Eric and Dylan are equally as crazy as Seung-Hui Cho and Elliot Rodger and they are not real men either. I don't think Elliot was any more out of touch with reality than Eric and Dylan were for thinking it was an appropriate response to their unhappiness to blow up their entire school.

Elliot is crazy. He is a narcissist. How can a narcissist be conscious enough to realise they are hiding being inferior? Shouldn't a narcissist think of themselves as great by default thus his reaction to questioning why nothing goes his way cause he generally expects things to be as so? Eric is nothing like Elliot. Eric does put up a front. Does that make him a narcissist?
Most straight guys have that whole alpha male complex. A lot of normal men complain when they don't get women after being the Nice Guy. Hell perhaps some of them genuinely do things by the book but don't get the girls because maybe they aren't the particular girl's type. It's no mystery how men can be these days you know.
If both of them stated that they thought they were better than other people and resented not being recognized for their superiority while also feeling inferior at other times, then is there a significant difference here? Elliot's videos and manifesto were made for the public. Isn't it likely that this was some sort of front, just like in Eric's case? Maybe Elliot was more extreme about it but I can see similarities.

shades

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:35 am

So Eric is lowkey a narcissist?

Draw_It_White
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:12 am

There's an audiobook on YouTube for those that can't be arsed reading it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
shades

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:20 am

Perhaps I confused or contradicted myself earlier but for me I know that Eric is a lunatic like Elliot was. I think it's just similarities in reaction or complaints but Eric was just like any other guy rejected when it came to women - and I don't think the massacre happened exclusively because of women - while Elliot had serious issues with himself.

Last edited by shades on Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spac3case

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:36 am

A part of my judgment of ALL of these people is how would I relate to them on a personal note.  LIke how would i physically be around them.
Some of it is based off of facts about them, but in the end i have to go to a place of fantasy to answer the question: what do I think of them.

Even though this question is NOT:how do you relate to them on a personal level?  My brain still subconsciously takes it there to answer that.

If i were Elliot I would be SUPER unhappy with that.  If I were Eric or Dylan I would be happy with my legacy.

We cant choose who we effect.  We can choose our personal actions.  In both cases I am VERY glad I made it out of that part of my life without killing myself or anyone else.

being 14-17 was the hardest thing ive had to do.  And ive had some hardships outside of that.  Still the hardest thing i had to do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
X-Raided

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:30 am

How can a narcissist be conscious enough to realise they are hiding being inferior?

People generally become narcissists when they subconsciously realize that they don't fit in or they ain't worth shit. It's just hypercompensation.

Glad I'm not the only one who sees the similarities between Rodger and Cho. Both of them were literally incapable of talking. Imagine the toll that would take on your mind, if you physically were unable to mingle with everyone else like the rest of the world is doing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:32 am

There was a part in one of his videos where he was walking around talking about a sunset and got into his car with the camera. Obviously he was alone with just the camera but I really felt like I was there in a way and hearing him breathe scared me. I felt like I was stuck in that car with him and thought if someone really was there with him he may never let them out!

He is just so creepy. I feel terrible for him because I think everyone deserves to have some happiness but just like I feel about Dylan, I don't think love or sex would have changed Elliot. Someone described him as being broken from conception....that may be the case.

View user profile
shades

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:08 am

I'm quoting this statement from a comedy horror podcast I always listen to where they talked about Manifestos and they covered Elliot and other killers who share the same personality (ultimately in the way they pen their thoughts/views):

"Why is it that guys like this have the same vocabulary? They have the same cadence. It's that "Guy Who Couldn't Be a Cop" language. It's that military-style too. They just believe they're superior to everybody else. It's condescending towards humanity. It's talking to yourself as if you're the only person in the world who can possibly understand your genius."

Elliot, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and Eric are similar with the way they write and think. Even Anders too BUT he talks about a much different issue than being a virgin or about women. But what does that make Eric? Is he similar to Elliot? Is Eric crazy?
These men are different in their ways but it's one thing to write and think the same and another to be diagnosed with a certain problem and declare the ultimate motive to their murders/suicide.

Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?   Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:28 am

I don't always agree with Langman but I liked this:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

He makes a good point saying that Elliot was an adult who did not know how to be an adult since everyone did things for him. He didn't really have a job, couldn't make it in school, and so on.

The last page or so was the best of the article

View user profile

Thoughts on "My Twisted World"?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next