Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

The Witness - Kitty Genovese Documentary Film

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: The Witness - Kitty Genovese Documentary Film   Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:51 am

Another movie recommendation and DEFINITELY a must watch!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This 2015 documentary film directed and produced by James D Solomon covers [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]'s brother Bill Genovese investigating the circumstances of her murder and the truth of the story that dozens of locals witnessed the crime and did nothing to intervene. It's extremely detailed and uncovers facts that we never knew such as the fact that she didn't actually die alone, how the reporting of the crime was fabricated to have it more sensationalised. We are also introduced to the Genovese family. It's REALLY interesting because Bill interviews some of the witnesses that are still alive, Kitty's murderer's son, and he traces back the steps which Kitty took that day to put himself her shoes the night of her tragic death.

I could go on and on and I'm sure I missed many good parts. Overall, I've always been into this case, I thought Kitty was a really cool, interesting and gorgeous woman and as much as it was a good thing that her story still lives on up till today, the circumstances surrounding her death was still tragic nevertheless and her brother Bill is trying to get closure for doing this project. This docufilm also covers his personal life and the time he served in the Vietnam war. See, this film is an example of a good, accurate movie based on real people and a real tragedy.

WORTH CHECKING OUT if you guys have time on your hands. Do it!

sscc
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The Witness - Kitty Genovese Documentary Film   Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:38 am

Just watched this and enjoyed it. I had heard in recent years that the original narrative was inaccurate but this documentary went into some detail as to how the story went unchallenged for so long and cleared up some of the misconceptions. I found the parts about Winston Moseley to be interesting since I never read anything about the perpetrator before. I think they presented a bit of insight into Kitty's personal life and personality that allows for her to be understood as more than a symbol of a (sensationalized) tragedy. I also think that some people here might find that they can relate to Bill's obsessive search for the truth once he started researching what really happened to his sister and the lack of understanding expressed by his siblings since, in the end, Kitty is still dead and nothing he uncovers will change that. Thanks for the recommendation.

shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The Witness - Kitty Genovese Documentary Film   Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:19 pm

Glad that you liked it. I think it's a fantastic film.

The Witness - Kitty Genovese Documentary Film
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1