Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Technology in 1999?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bradt93

Contribution Points : 90306
Forum Reputation : 255

Technology in 1999? Empty
PostSubject: Technology in 1999?   Technology in 1999? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2016 3:19 pm

I was only in 5th grade in 1999. All I remember was the good economy in the 90s under Bill Clinton, but how advanced was the technology? If technology was good in 1999 as it is now, would of the shooting been prevented?
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118575
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Technology in 1999?   Technology in 1999? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2016 4:18 pm

No. Look at all the shootings that still happened when technology was better than it was back in 1999. Virginia Tech, Dark Knight Rises, Sandy Hook, Mr. Magnificent (Elliot Roger), Charleston Church Massacre. And those are just a few that I can think of.

Usually the only way a shooting is prevented is when the idiot planning it goes and tells people about it. Like the one kid that was gonna either blow up or shoot up the school's Auditorium during an assembly. He told some of his friends not to come to school that day because he was planning something. They went and told either the police or the school about it, and they arrested him.

If Columbine never happened in 1999 and Dylan and Eric were alive and teenagers today, they could still pull off the shooting. It's not like it's any harder today than it was back then for a teenager to get a hold of guns. It's probably easier since I can't tell you how many times I've read a story where a teenager is either given a gun or is able to get a hold of their parent's gun.

What is going to stop them if it were today? Nothing.

Last edited by Jenn on Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bradt93

PostSubject: Re: Technology in 1999?   Technology in 1999? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2016 4:39 pm

Jenn wrote:
No. Look at all the shootings that still happened when technology was better than it was back in 1999. Virginia Tech, Dark Knight Rises, Sandy Hook, Mr. Magnificent (Elliot Roger), Charleston Church Massacre. And those are just a few that I can think of.

Usually the only way a shooting is prevented is when the idiot planning it goes and tells people about it. Like the one kid that was gonna either blow up or shoot up the school's Auditorium during an assembly. He told some of his friends not to come to school that day because he was planning something. They went and told either the police or the school about it, and they arrested him.

If Columbine never happened in 1999 and Dylan and Eric were alive and teenagers today, they could still pull off the shooting. It's not like it's any harder today than it was back then for a teenager to get a hold of guns. It's probably easier since I can't tell you how many times I've read a story where a teenager is either given a gun or is able to get a hold of their parent's gun.

What is going to stop them if it were today? Nothing.
It's such a shame, they could've had children, had good careers and a good happy life. Why let a bunch of bully assholes ruin that? They did have mental problems though and never got properly treated for them.
Back to top Go down
bradt93

PostSubject: Re: Technology in 1999?   Technology in 1999? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2016 4:48 pm

Also, they had good families who loved them a lot. It's awful they put them through that, that interview Sue Klebold gave broke my heart, but she still loves her son. Is she wrong for still loving him? I don't think so.

Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118575
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Technology in 1999?   Technology in 1999? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2016 5:10 pm

bradt93 wrote:
Also, they had good families who loved them a lot. It's awful they put them through that, that interview Sue Klebold gave broke my heart, but she still loves her son. Is she wrong for still loving him? I don't think so.
No, she's not wrong for loving her son and she is allowed to have memories of him from happier times. She knows he is a murderer but he's also her son and she misses him and what he once was before all of this happened. She loved him unconditionally.

Back to top Go down
Amarantha

Amarantha

Contribution Points : 72272
Forum Reputation : 211

PostSubject: Re: Technology in 1999?   Technology in 1999? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2016 2:55 am

bradt93 wrote:
I was only in 5th grade in 1999. All I remember was the good economy in the 90s under Bill Clinton, but how advanced was the technology? If technology was good in 1999 as it is now, would of the shooting been prevented?

Law enforcement officers usually have standard hand held weapon detectors, but I think that it would be quite an annoying and time-wasting practice implementing this kind of check-up on every student entering the school at any time.
Maybe something such as surveillance drones could help detect unusual trafficking and movements in public areas, though it would be required a prompt response from the local law authorities. Hmm... I think that even nowadays technology isn't that evolved to prevent killing sprees. My best bet is that someday there will be around trained robots that can actually detect weapons in the blink of an eye and ask the owner to put them down if they want to enter a building; and if they aren't willing to do so, they'll get kicked out.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 95974
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Technology in 1999?   Technology in 1999? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2017 9:31 am

The only thing I think that is "remotely" technology that could have changed things was the police response. And that isn't even technology I guess lol.

Police response changed in response to Columbine. Let's say for the sake of argument that Columbine didn't happen in 1999 but something else similar did and police response and procedure changed the same way it has irl. Then Eric and Dylan planned and tried to execute the massacre today. People would still die yes. But the ending of the shooting and possibly the amount of deaths would be very different.

Eric was pretty outspoken online. In reading the 11k it was funny to me to read all the accounts from people that didn't have a computer and didn't use the internet. So Eric's website was pretty obscure. If he had a giant online presence today there is no way he would get away with his ramblings....but there are a lot of weirdos online that say crap that wouldn't harm a fly, and a ton of things that are never discovered-as well as people that are psycho and dangerous that are sweet as pie online. I think Eric would have a giant online presence if he were a teen today. There is a chance he would never be discovered and run under the radar, but there is also a chance it would be discovered and he would get into trouble.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Technology in 1999?   Technology in 1999? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Technology in 1999?
Page 1 of 1