Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
human_abstract

PostSubject: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:03 am

I recently came across an archived page from a no-longer existing website, in which the author states:

"In 2000 I obtained the former AOL screen name of Columbine shooter Eric Harris and was randomly messaged by literally tens of thousands of people intrigued by the Columbine tragedy who added Eric’s screen name to their list, surprised to see “Eric” online. And, for a short period of time (about 6 months) I lied about having known the killers online just to win arguments. At that time I didn’t know that I would soon come to be seen as an authority on Columbine, a mentor to many, and I had no idea I would soon meet or even live with anyone who went to Columbine.
I was in contact with many school shooters…

I engaged in daily discussions with everyone who messaged me including deceased school shooters Bastian Bosse (Gescheister School, Germany, 2006), Asa Coon (Success Tech Academy, 2007) and Kimveer Gill (Dawson College, Canada, 2006). Having Eric’s screen name provided me with instant trust. Angry teenagers would often divulge their plans for a school massacre and speak freely about their desire to kill their classmates. At first I didn’t realize the huge responsibility that came with using Eric’s old name, but all that changed when one of the teenagers I had been talking to for a while told me that he had been planning a school massacre but our conversations caused him to change his mind."

Did anybody happen to message his old username when this was happening? If the claim is valid, that would certainly raise a lot of questions, mainly in how the screen name was acquired. A brute force / dictionary password attack? Knowing somebody who knew Eric who knew the password? I feel like he wouldn't be one to share his passwords with others, and in the time of non-existent password security, a dictionary attack would have quite a good chance of succeeding.
Back to top Go down
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:22 am

Or maybe Eric's actual account was shut down after the massacre and this person just went and create a fresh account with the same ID.

Either way, they sound pretty responsible for some of the mass shooters he named who actually went and did it. Did they think Eric rose from the dead and chatted with them Rolling Eyes

That's why you're on your own tonight
With your triumphs and your charms
While they are in each other's arms
Oh mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head
And as I climb into an empty bed
Oh well, enough said

Back to top Go down
Acid84

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:12 am

I agree [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] if this person had this indepth knowledge of shootings prior to them happening they should of reported them to the relevant authorities in the countries/states they were in.
Back to top Go down
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:15 am

Exactly.

Quote :
I engaged in daily discussions with everyone who messaged me including deceased school shooters Bastian Bosse (Gescheister School, Germany, 2006), Asa Coon (Success Tech Academy, 2007) and Kimveer Gill (Dawson College, Canada, 2006). Having Eric’s screen name provided me with instant trust.

He fucked up there. You don't encourage someone who's talking and thinking about imitating Columbine.

Oh well, enough said

Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:09 pm

The person you are referring to is Calence "Cal" Ethan Emerson, Jay, Jana, etc - it is a long history.

Admits to using [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and has created many websites:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  -- [http://www.chs.fuhsd.org/] Cupertino High School Winter Formal December 21 1998

Tish runs this site:

Last edited by sororityalpha on Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:14 pm

Profile here as well if you like: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:14 pm

oh good lord. It's the Emerson guy??!

Oh well, enough said

Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I recently came across an archived page from a no-longer existing website, in which the author states:

"In 2000 I obtained the former AOL screen name of Columbine shooter Eric Harris and was randomly messaged by literally tens of thousands of people intrigued by the Columbine tragedy who added Eric’s screen name to their list, surprised to see “Eric” online. And, for a short period of time (about 6 months) I lied about having known the killers online just to win arguments. At that time I didn’t know that I would soon come to be seen as an authority on Columbine, a mentor to many, and I had no idea I would soon meet or even live with anyone who went to Columbine.
I was in contact with many school shooters…

I engaged in daily discussions with everyone who messaged me including deceased school shooters Bastian Bosse (Gescheister School, Germany, 2006), Asa Coon (Success Tech Academy, 2007) and Kimveer Gill (Dawson College, Canada, 2006). Having Eric’s screen name provided me with instant trust. Angry teenagers would often divulge their plans for a school massacre and speak freely about their desire to kill their classmates. At first I didn’t realize the huge responsibility that came with using Eric’s old name, but all that changed when one of the teenagers I had been talking to for a while told me that he had been planning a school massacre but our conversations caused him to change his mind."

Source page: DylanKlebold.com - Archive.is
archive.ec/CV8TQ
In 2000 I obtained the former AOL screen name of Columbine shooter Eric Harris and was randomly messaged by literally tens of thousands of people intrigued ...

Back to top Go down
Acid84

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:19 pm

Cheers sorority... I have read bits on the other threads by Ethan Emerson however this is pretty poor taste perhaps this is the real reason he moved away from it.. thin line between researcher and overstepping the mark i guess.
I noticed your questions to him also i saw that somebody quoted something of which he now contradicts.
(Just a observation)
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:23 pm

Tens of thousands of people contacted him thinking he was a friend of Eric's? Come on, now. I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:10 pm

There's a ton of strange claims going on here between Cal and his former associates. Taking a look at the posts he's made here recently sparked my interest in learning more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I knew he was the owner of dylanklebold.com, but didn't know of these other sites. I'm not sure what to believe, there's just so many claims being made. I do believe his very early and heavy interest in Columbine gave him some outlets to information, particularly from those close to E&D. But a lot of the information, such as moving to California and having regular dinners with famous people, I'm very skeptical of, especially since so many of these claims are being made one paragraph after the other.

He disappeared from the community but last month created an account here and posted in a thread (see above link) so if he sticks around maybe he could discuss a lot of this.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:51 pm

rebdominedotcom
(8/25/02 3:14:58 pm)

going from the pics i have seen... im pretty sure eric did kill himself. and im 100% sure that dylans body was moved. considering there are pictures of him with him face down on erics knee.

"In order to be a woman, you've got to be a lesbian."
-Pat Robertson a.k.a. constipated chipmonk

Jeanette X
(8/25/02 8:59:39 pm)

Where did you see pictures of Dylan face down on Eric's knee?

rebdominedotcom
(8/25/02 10:27:50 pm)

Ill IM you about it Jeanette... not something i care to post here. I dont feel like being arrested today.

"In order to be a woman, you've got to be a lesbian."
-Pat Robertson a.k.a. constipated chipmonk

Calence, can you tell us where you saw pictures of Dylan face down on Eric's knee?
Back to top Go down
tfsa47090
Moderator & Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:23 pm

The person you are referring to is Calence "Cal" Ethan Emerson, Jay, Jana, & Tish -- it is a long history.

Admits to using [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and has created many websites:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  -- [http://www.chs.fuhsd.org/] Cupertino High School Winter Formal December 21 1998

Just so you know, Ethan/Calence does not own or run dylankledbold .net. He never did.

The woman who owns and runs dot net has been a friend of mine for over a decade now.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:35 pm

Just so you know, Ethan/Calence does not own or run dylankledbold .net. He never did.

The woman who owns and runs dot net has been a friend of mine for over a decade now.

I know, Tish runs it,

I re-arranged the post to clarify, thank you tfsa

The person you are referring to is Calence "Cal" Ethan Emerson, Jay, Jana, etc - it is a long history.

Tish runs this site:

Last edited by sororityalpha on Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:44 pm

Calence is Tish's best friend:

Here is a bit more of Tish's website

Spring of 2002 - I had let the website go onto the backburner, as I got caught up in a relationship and with school. I dug up my old website when I found my old paper copies of the website's design and realized that all of the files had been erased and my website was no longer there - however, the account was still in my name, so I was able to reactivate it and rebuild it. It resparked my interest in the massacre, and I began major research and work. I renamed the website "Morticia's Dylan Klebold Memorial Website", which was later shortened to "For Dylan". I set up an AOL Instant Messenger screen name of "dbkalways", which I still use to this day. I met so many people within a month, and my website took off. This is when I met one of my best friends, Calence Ethan Emerson [of DylanKlebold.com], and for Dylan's birthday that year, he purchased the domain [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for me.

Late 2002, Early 2003 - Obtained [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] from Calence [see above]. It was his former website, and he gave it to me so that I could make a memorial website for Eric Harris. Rebdomine.org has not been worked on in years, but I plan to open it one day again in the future.
Back to top Go down
Acid84

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:03 am

Its seems that alot of these researchers/web site owners were very young when they were starting out on this journey (you can see by the photos) perhaps they was gaining more friends and feeling like less of a outcast by making wild claims and pretending that the information they hold is far superior to anyone elses.
I take all the bits any of the researchers say with a pinch of salt unless there is evidence to back it up.
T shirt of Erics? - prove it
glass from columbine windows with blood? - prove it
spoke to school shooters using erics old aol? - prove it
had a friend that once knew a guy who knew a girl whos best friend once licked one of dylans jockstraps? - prove it (actually dont ewww)
you get the drift

Back to top Go down
lasttrain
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:15 am

I had that screen name on my buddy list and IMed it as soon as it signed on. I was glad to find out it was Emerson, whom I recognized from CRTF. I believe Emerson got the screen name by waiting until it automatically lapsed from lack of activity (obviously, Eric was dead) and then signing up anew using the same name. I think AOL screen names would lapse after four or five years of not being used. I remember the conversations fondly, though it was a little weird to be talking to Eric Harris's name.
Back to top Go down
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:56 pm

I am so confused by all this, it's gonna take me awhile to get what's going on.

Oh well, enough said

Back to top Go down
lasttrain
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:41 pm

I am so confused by all this, it's gonna take me awhile to get what's going on.

Eric had a screen name on AOL Instant Messenger. AOL had a policy of deleting old accounts if the person never logged in, so a few years after Eric's death his name became available again and a Columbine researcher registered the name and started using it. Kind of like if you stopped signing in with shades, Jenn deleted your account, and someone else then signed up as shades.

Anyway, after this researcher began using it, many people (including myself) had it on our Buddy List, saw it sign on, and then messaged it, only to discover it was a Columbine researcher who had registered the name anew after AOL deleted Eric's account. This was probably about ten years ago. According to this researcher in the post quoted above from another site, some of the people who messaged the screen name during this time later went on to become school shooters.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:46 pm

Quote :
"In 2000 I obtained the former AOL screen name of Columbine shooter Eric Harris and was randomly messaged by literally tens of thousands of people intrigued by the Columbine tragedy who added Eric’s screen name to their list, surprised to see “Eric” online. And, for a short period of time (about 6 months) I lied about having known the killers online just to win arguments.

It started in 2000, 16 years ago, according to the statement above.

Back to top Go down
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:59 pm

Basically as stated above they're a group of friends who went and ran a couple of those sites and some of you actually know them.

Oh well, enough said

Back to top Go down
lasttrain
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:07 pm

Quote :
"In 2000 I obtained the former AOL screen name of Columbine shooter Eric Harris and was randomly messaged by literally tens of thousands of people intrigued by the Columbine tragedy who added Eric’s screen name to their list, surprised to see “Eric” online. And, for a short period of time (about 6 months) I lied about having known the killers online just to win arguments.

I don't believe this date is accurate. You have to assume that Eric last signed in sometime in April of 1999. For someone else to obtain the screen name in 2000 would mean that AOL recycled it after no logins for less than 20 months. I don't believe that AOL would recycle a name that fast. I've had screen names that were unused for 5 years and still worked. My memory is that it was more like 2004 or 2005 that this screen name reappeared.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:28 pm

Well, you could always ask Calence if you wanted.

Back to top Go down
human_abstract

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:13 pm

Quote :

I don't believe this date is accurate. You have to assume that Eric last signed in sometime in April of 1999. For someone else to obtain the screen name in 2000 would mean that AOL recycled it after no logins for less than 20 months. I don't believe that AOL would recycle a name that fast. I've had screen names that were unused for 5 years and still worked. My memory is that it was more like 2004 or 2005 that this screen name reappeared.

Didn't AOL remove Eric's profiles shortly after they were discovered? Perhaps when they 'removed' them they became up for grabs sooner than the 5 year mark, assuming AOL didn't have the foresight to permanently disable them. Either that, or a password cracker was used and Eric's password happened to be something very easy.
Back to top Go down
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:19 am

Its seems that alot of these researchers/web site owners were very young when they were starting out on this journey (you can see by the photos) perhaps they was gaining more friends and feeling like less of a outcast by making wild claims and pretending that the information they hold is far superior to anyone elses.
I take all the bits any of the researchers say with a pinch of salt unless there is evidence to back it up.
T shirt of Erics? - prove it
glass from columbine windows with blood? - prove it
spoke to school shooters using erics old aol? - prove it
had a friend that once knew a guy who knew a girl whos best friend once licked one of dylans jockstraps? - prove it (actually dont ewww)
you get the drift

I agree with you Acidddddd

Oh well, enough said

Back to top Go down
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:22 am

I want to know of the picture of Dylan face down on Eric's knee too.

Oh well, enough said

Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:50 pm

Also, what are you talking about here?

Calence Ethan Emerson

Randy is right. Seriously.

January 9 2008 6:06 PM

Without a lengthy explanation - Randy is right. I didn't see it until now. And I'm just amazed that the people closest to me spent so much time making excuses for me and reassuring me that I wasn't doing anything wrong in thought or action. Naturally we don't want to listen to people who oppose us, but when it comes from a friend it's more shocking - and it should be. Going forward I hope everyone else here has the guts to stand up to their friends when they are out of line.

That's really all I have to say. Hope everyone has a great 2008.

If anyone needs documents they'll still be publicly accessible under [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but be warned the future may hold major changes for the rest of the content.

Thanks to everyone for their support and appreciation over the years.
If anyone still wants to remain in contact please find me on myspace:

Randy is right about what exactly?

Back to top Go down
thenight_watchman

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:36 pm

Probably a bit of a dumb question here, but has anyone tried using the name or messaging it recently? Is it still floating around and grabbed up by another user? Does Emerson still have or use it? Did AOL completely deactivate it in recent years?

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:59 am

Hello all - I'm happy to answer questions and clarify anything if anyone wants to ask me directly. Most of what's in this thread is a bit of a jumble and lots of assumptions, hearsay, etc.

One thing I want to clarify is that I never encouraged people to shoot up their school. My words are being taken out of context. The paragraph quoted is from my book, where I'm discussing that many of the past school shooters were visitors to my research website. I wasn't aware that some of them were planning or thinking about anything. And, anytime someone did share their plans with me I did contact the police and also spent many hours tracking down principals at their homes for the same reason. You have no idea how many times I've contacted law enforcement over the years, including Jefferson County. At one point I had to teach them how to use Facebook so they could get more information. They were basically on my speed dial.

The context is missing from what's been pasted here. What I reported helped save a lot of lives. And there were times when I reported incidents and the police said they could do nothing. You have no idea how corrupt the system is until you're on the phone with the FBI reporting a kid for making threats and they tell you they can't do anything because he's out of the country... as if they don't have international contacts.

I still have Eric's AOL name. I didn't hack it. I just held the intention of wanting it, and back in the day AOL let you recreate screen names once deleted. Except his wasn't deleted. His whole account was suspended. But I kept hitting the "create" button over and over and over and eventually it worked. Based on the conversations I had with that name I know I was supposed to have it. Without it, a lot of people would be dead.

And yes, I really did talk to tens of thousands of people... my research website had over a million hits a month at its peak and about 300,000 visitors a month on average.

I wasn't young when I created it, really. I mean it depends on what you consider young. I graduated in 1999 - my senior year was Eric and Dylan's. Not that it means anything, just sharing that as a reference to age.

I really did have a shirt that belonged to Eric. It was given to me by a friend (NOT Chad). I have since given it a new home to the same friend I gave a huge 40 pound box to years ago with the last of my yearbooks and other items.

There is a lot of misinformation out there and a lot of missing context, but if anyone has any specific questions I am more than happy to answer them directly.
Back to top Go down
sscc
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over   Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:49 am

There is a lot of misinformation out there and a lot of missing context, but if anyone has any specific questions I am more than happy to answer them directly.
Did any of the contacts that you reported go on to carry out their plans because law enforcement did not have enough information (or authority) to step in?

Maybe you can't remember this anymore but what were your interactions with Coon, Gill, and Bosse like? Even if you did not experience direct threats or confessions from these people, did you ever have any concerns about them?

How did you realize that each mass shooter you listed had been someone that contacted you? How did it make you feel when you realized that this was happening over and over?

Were there any others you spoke with that actually carried out their plans?
Back to top Go down

Eric's AOL Screen Name Taken Over
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next