Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Should I be worried about this obsession?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hate99

PostSubject: Should I be worried about this obsession?   Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:51 pm

What I mean is my obsession with mass shootings. Should I be worried about this? Especially since I'm only 13.

Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried about this obsession?   Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:56 am

Not necessarily. It all boils down to what is your obsession about? Is it research? Are you interested in the psychology behind it? Or do you plan to commit one yourself? I think the only reason to be worried about it would be if you planned to carry out some type of massacre yourself or harm others in some way.

shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried about this obsession?   Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:25 am

I have to say you are at very very young age though and if you're obsessed with this now, how long do you plan to carry on being so? HOW are you obsessed with it? As [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] mentioned are you intending to study it sort of like taking up criminology in the future or is it for morbid curiosity? Are you able to handle it? Most importantly are you physically intending to own or shoot a gun in the near future and do you have violent tendencies?

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried about this obsession?   Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:18 pm

It can be a slippery slope, depending on your motives. Not just this case, but anything, can consume your life if you devote enough time to it.
Back to top Go down
hate99

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried about this obsession?   Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:30 pm

I would never kill anyone unless my own life was in danger. I respect my family and other lives, though I hate many people at my school. I have clinical issues with anxiety though.

Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried about this obsession?   Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:16 pm

I understand you hating people at your school, this is normal. Its a melting pot of all sorts of different people, religions and upbringings and then you're thrown all together and expected to get along and behave, its kind of unrealistic. What you need to keep in mind is that school is not the end and even if you're treated like shit by others in school you will graduate eventually and never have to deal with them again. Normally the people in school that are shitty to others, don't do well afterwards because there is an underlying issue there. You are very young to be obsessed with this topic but if you can keep it under control, not let it affect your life and its not an interest because you're planning to do something similar than you should be fine. If you're feeling like you may do something to harm yourself or others, its definitely best you talk to someone.
Back to top Go down
hate99

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried about this obsession?   Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:09 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I understand you hating people at your school, this is normal. Its a melting pot of all sorts of different people, religions and upbringings and then you're thrown all together and expected to get along and behave, its kind of unrealistic. What you need to keep in mind is that school is not the end and even if you're treated like shit by others in school you will graduate eventually and never have to deal with them again. Normally the people in school that are shitty to others, don't do well afterwards because there is an underlying issue there. You are very young to be obsessed with this topic but if you can keep it under control, not let it affect your life and its not an interest because you're planning to do something similar than you should be fine. If you're feeling like you may do something to harm yourself or others, its definitely best you talk to someone.
I'm not worried about becoming a school shooter. I'm more worried about the fact that if my parents found out about this they would kick my ass with worry.

Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried about this obsession?   Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:14 am

Lol that is also extremely understandable. I think if my mom would have found this forum on my computer when I was your age, my ass would have been sent to a psychiatrist. If its just an interest then there is no harm. I hope for your sake your parents don't find out if that's what you're worried about. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
hate99

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried about this obsession?   Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:55 am

You know how parents destroy you with guilt!

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried about this obsession?   Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:01 pm

No bro, just dont tell anybody irl tho.
They'll snitch on you for brownie points.
Back to top Go down
NoMaD

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried about this obsession?   Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:01 pm

Just as long as you don't imitate the shooters on an act of inspiration, then you're good.

Bluten leise in das Meer
Rammstein|Reise, Reise
Back to top Go down
21stcenturyreality

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried about this obsession?   Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:51 pm

The only thing I'm worried about is other people being worried about me...

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried about this obsession?   Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:10 pm

If it doesn't impair your ability to do your daily activities, than it is ok i guess.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried about this obsession?   Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:44 pm

You are young, only 13, so if the obsession becomes overwhelming you should ease off.

If your research does not become overwhelming in your daily life then you should be fine.

Back to top Go down
JM7199

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried about this obsession?   Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:00 pm

Wouldn't say it's a bad thing. In fact I'd say it's good you're learning about it. A lot of people have a warped view on the attack I think and some make memes out of it and such, and some get attached to it because they think it's edgy and cool. Try not to go down that path. If your parents find out say its a school project Smile I myself became interested about spree shooters after seeing the Utōya Attack in Norway in 2011, I think for me I want to understand what drives people to do these things. When people get properly motivated they can do some messed up things, you know? I think it's important we at least try to build up a picture to understand why, not least for the familes' closure.
JM
Back to top Go down
hate99

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried about this obsession?   Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Wouldn't say it's a bad thing. In fact I'd say it's good you're learning about it. A lot of people have a warped view on the attack I think and some make memes out of it and such, and some get attached to it because they think it's edgy and cool. Try not to go down that path. If your parents find out say its a school project Smile I myself became interested about spree shooters after seeing the Utōya Attack in Norway in 2011, I think for me I want to understand what drives people to do these things. When people get properly motivated they can do some messed up things, you know? I think it's important we at least try to build up a picture to understand why, not least for the familes' closure.
JM
It's not so much the shooting itself, but the cause for me.

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried about this obsession?   Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:10 am

I think that the psychology of criminal minds should interest everybody. Learning about spree killers' motives could be an interesting thought exercise that maybe will protect yourself from bad situations one day.
The more you know, the more you'll be able to control your thoughts and perceive what's going on in other people's minds.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried about this obsession?   Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:35 am

I agree with you Amarantha.

My only concern is when it becomes an "obsession" that interferes in one's daily life.
Back to top Go down
Criminalprofiling123

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried about this obsession?   Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:15 pm

Honestly, as long as you're being respectful about it and it doesn't take over your life like sororityalpha mentioned then you're good to go.

Should I be worried about this obsession?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1