Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Existential Dread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hate99

PostSubject: Existential Dread   Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:37 pm

I take anxiety meds already but I still have existential thoughts. I start thinking about life not mattering and it escalates into a panic attack.

21stcenturyreality

PostSubject: Re: Existential Dread   Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:02 am

To be honest, I used to have existential dread. Then I guess I "completed" my existential crisis.

If we go with the existentialist (see: Kierkegaard, Camus, etc) definition of an existential crisis, were a person becomes aware that the choices they make affect their lives, then it can be a little disorientating. When I had mine, I was seriously depressed (sorry for self diagnoses, it's the only word I can come up with.) Thinking of myself as a failure who will go nowhere, and so on.

But trust me, after awhile, you will come to the same conclusion I did. The existential crisis involves us becoming aware of our choices in life. With that in mind, I found that it was my fault for all the things in my life - and that I should make better choices. Maybe even take a few risks in life, after all, Kierkegaard said that whether you do or don't do something, you'll regret it. So why not?

I know this sounds like a super campy version of "it gets better" and "just get over it," but this is a natural cycle of the crisis. It may take some time (over 2 months for me) but at it's conclusion, you will feel much better about yourself. Good luck!

TheSpiral
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Existential Dread   Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:14 am

I had this too, but I wouldn't call it a crisis.
My choices in life don't bother me at all, because I know that one day I'll be dead and it won't matter.
I came to the conclusion that life has no point or meaning, when I die it's eternal peace and after a few generations I will be forgotten and my name will be gone with the wind.
To me that is comforting.

Now everybody dancing, the dance of the dead
The dance of the dead, the dance of the dead
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
hate99

PostSubject: Re: Existential Dread   Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:27 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I had this too, but I wouldn't call it a crisis.
My choices in life don't bother me at all, because I know that one day I'll be dead and it won't matter.
I came to the conclusion that life has no point or meaning, when I die it's eternal peace and after a few generations I will be forgotten and my name will be gone with the wind.
To me that is comforting.
To me that's terrifying because it would help justify a heinous act.

shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Existential Dread   Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:10 pm

having it right now

Amarantha

PostSubject: Re: Existential Dread   Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:52 am

Life is meaningless, but that doesn't mean that it has to be useless.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
21stcenturyreality

PostSubject: Re: Existential Dread   Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:56 pm

You know, earlier today I was thinking about my earlier post on this thread, and my emotions recently (a.k.a the opposite of what I said lmao.)

Sometimes I just feel like the anxiety has gone away simply because I've experienced it for so long and thus it takes a larger "hit" to get me going. Like an addiction. The self improvement has stopped and now I'm just apathetic, not even worried about it anymore.

Or maybe I've just having anxiety about not having anxiety Neutral

Amarantha

PostSubject: Re: Existential Dread   Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:33 am

After 10+ years of constant mental rumination, I eventually managed to shut down my most powerful emotions. Saying that now I can emulate them on purpose and when I need to show the behavior of a "normal" (?) human being would not be too far from the truth
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Existential Dread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1