Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Dylan's great love decoded?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Dylan's great love decoded?   Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:44 pm

After thinking about it for a few days,I think I've come to the conclusion that it was Tobin Kennedy. None of us will ever know for sure but if you put the elements together it fits. Tobin is certainly an unusual name for a girl,he was known to have asked her out and she is a very pretty girl.For me, she fits better than Marla Foust although I think its likely that DK had a thing for her too at the very end.

Someone else found the picture.

Last edited by DarkofNight on Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:47 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:10 pm

Has anyone Dylans Love Poem? Its probably the most useful tool, to speculate about Dylans mysterious girl.
Back to top Go down
queenfarooq

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:55 pm

Hale-Bopp wrote:
Has anyone Dylans Love Poem? Its probably the most useful tool, to speculate about Dylans mysterious girl.

His poem is on pg(26426) of the 11k.

This is my attempt at transcribing what I can see, I may be wrong so it's worth others taking a look.

REDACTED is for the REDACTED joy she gives me

REDACTED is for how she REDACTED the helpless with her beautiful gaze

REDACTED is for the REDACTED moments she (shares/haves) with me

REDACTED is for the REDACTED found love that I've been looking for all my life

REDACTED is the REDACTED of us as a couple

REDACTED how REDACTED I hope to spend with her

REDACTED how she is the REDACTED one I love, that I have ever loved

REDACTED is for the REDACTED (?) we can look at the stars

REDACTED beautiful REDACTED (I how?) REDACTED she is (I'm really unsure about these lines)

REDACTED her REDACTED for everything she does

In total this would be 10 letters if he was using the persons name, I am aware others pointed out before that this would fit 'Eric Harris,' 'Devon Adams' and 'Marla Foust.'

Dylan writes about love so many times in his journal. It seems like his entries are about different girls and it wasn't one consistent person he believed he loved. It's hard to tell at times if he is writing about someone he knew, someone he had a class with, someone he would see around school or someone outside of school.
For reference here are some of his journal pages where he specifically mentions his different love/s:

Pg(26395) 'My 1st Love' - he doesn't date this entry but judging by the dates either side, it was written between 23rd July '97 and 5th September '97

Pg(26396) He writes "The one who I thought was my true love REDACTED is not...." - 5th September '97

Pg(26401) "I don't know my love: could be REDACTED, or REDACTED, or REDACTED, or REDACTED, or anyone." - Written on 3rd November '97

Pg(26402) "Here is all the people I've loved, or at least liked (or thought I loved) - all the same meaning." There is a list of 18 REDACTED names and three hearts beside them. The last heard as a "R" inside it.
"REDACTED" is the newest and purest for now." - Written 2nd January '98

Pg(26404) "So close to my love - REDACTED. The runes have shown it, she has shown it, I have felt it" "GOD I LOVE HER" - Written 2nd February '98

Pg(26406) "I love you REDACTED that's all I think about anymore" -
Pg( 26408) "I love you REDACTED" - These look like a separate entries but none are dated.

Pg(26408 - 9) Dylans love letter. "I have thought you my true love for a long time now." Therefore the previous few entries could be about the same person.

Pg(26410) "I love REDACTED. She is my soul mate" - Written 8th June 98

(I didn't include the journal entries in between as I feel like he is writing about the same 'love.' I think he would have documented it if his 'love' had changed again.

Pg(26416) "I will have a love." - No date.

Pg(26417) "As I look for love I feel I can't find it." "Whether it is REDACTED or not." - No date

Pg(26426) Love poem - No date

Pg(26427) "To my Love" - No date
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SandraSmit19

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:27 am

This is something I've been thinking about for a while. I think it might be Erin Boortz, who was a senior at the same time as Dylan.

If this is true, I imagine the poem looked like this:

E is for the (Endless) joy she gives me
R is for how she (Rivets) the helpless with her beautiful gaze
I is for the (Infinite) moments she shares with me
N is for the (New) found love that I've been looking for all my life

B is for the (Beauty) of us as a couple
O is how (O) I hope to spend time with her
O is how she is the (Only) one I love, that I have ever loved
R is for the (Roof) where we can look at the stars
T is how (Truly) beautiful she is
Z is her (Zest) for everything she does

I can't quite figure out the first O in the last name and I realize some of these are a stretch but I'm almost positive the fourth letter has to be an N as in New Found Love and I'm also pretty sure the seventh letter is an O as in Only One I Love.

What do you guys think? A possibility?

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:36 pm

Was DK even known to be associated with her in any way though?

@SandraSmit19 wrote:
This is something I've been thinking about for a while. I think it might be Erin Boortz, who was a senior at the same time as Dylan.

I can't quite figure out the first O in the last name and I realize some of these are a stretch but I'm almost positive the fourth letter has to be an N as in New Found Love and I'm also pretty sure the seventh letter is an O as in Only One I Love.

Back to top Go down
SandraSmit19

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:04 pm

DarkofNight wrote:
Was DK even known to be associated with her in any way though?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

Not that I know of, but then the only connection I've ever heard of when it comes to Marla Foust, is Marla Foust saying that Dylan asked her to the prom. Or am I missing something on that one?

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:26 pm

DarkofNight wrote:
After thinking about it for a few days,I think I've come to the conclusion that it was Tobin Kennedy. None of us will ever know for sure but if you put the elements together it fits. Tobin is certainly an unusual name for a girl,he was known to have asked her out and she is a very pretty girl.For me, she fits better than Marla Foust although I think its likely that DK had a thing for her too at the very end. .

At one point, I had too had considered Tobin as being Dylan's Muse. Yes, Dylan mentioned that her name was "strange" like his own. However, in the passage where Dylan mentions that, it's around July or August of 1997 when he falls for his "1st Love". He also goes on in that same journal entry and mentions that he knows she is NOT popular. "Her friends (who I know) -some-" I don't believe Tobin Kennedy went to Columbine HS. She isn't pictured in the yearbook - at least she is not pictured in the 1999 yearbook - and she is not mentioned under "photos not taken" under each grade. Maybe, someone has a previous years book and can verify? So, Dylan essentially knows her by visiting her at the mall and trying to work up the nerve to ask her out. The fact that he knows she isn't "popular" would imply that the girl he's referring to is someone he knows within his own school setting and he knew some of her friends. In his love letter, he mentions specifically when they had class together and that they worked on a report together.

In Tobin's 11K entry - which I recently posted on Tumblr along with the photo you referred to above, Tobin mentions that "he came into the store on 10 to 12 occasions, [i]since Christmas '1998." However, Dylan's "My 1st Love" entry is dated 1.5 years ago.

Tobin is one of a few if Dylan's contemplations as to who his "everlasting love" was supposed to be but I don't think she is "The One". To clarify, I mean she isn't the one he wrote to in his unsent love letter nor is she the one in the puzzle poem people are discussing in this thread. I think given that Dylan kept visiting Tobin on several occasions times around Christmas '98 - which is less than four months to NBK and the end of his life - that he was desperately trying to land a date for once in his life and with someone that he was really attracted to and apparently very flustered by. It's kinda cute the way he filled out an application at one point and also took interest in some toy megaphone (which he never purchased) all stalling to find a way to ask her out. I also, kind of wonder if Eric was putting pressure on Dylan because Eric had written in his "To Do" notes that R/V "need to get laid". So, Dylan was attempting to be persistent. Though, it seemed he only managed to ask her out once and then once rejected said "well, maybe I will again sometime". That would have been HUGE risk taking for him given his shyness.

Tobin isn't the only one with a "strange" name. Marla Foust and Devon Adams also have sort of have odd girl names too. Marla is old fashioned for 1990s. And, both of them do fit the puzzle poem in terms of number of alphabetical characters. Tobin Kennedy has way too many characters. Personally, I don't think it's Devon given that she paired off with Zach fairly early according to Dylan's early journal writings. I think Dylan was lucky to have Devon as a friend - she was assertive and demonstrative enough including Dylan in her bday parties, etc. So, I think they had a good friendship because she pushed for that friendship and he followed her lead. But, Dylan got secretly pissed off at her when she paired off with Zach. Dylan goes on about how he "helped" the two of them and now they're just stepping over him. Anyway, I digress..

As for Marla, well, the character's do fit the puzzle poem. She seems to still be a contending bet. But a better way to filter things out is the clue that Dylan has in his love letter where he says: "I guess it's time to tell you who I am, I was in a class with you 1st Semester & was blessed w/ being with you in a report. I still remember your laugh. Innocent, beautiful, pure. This semester (his last journal entry with a date prior to his letter says Feb '98), I still see you rarely. I am entranced during 5th period, as we both have it off."

If we had the students in each of his classes for the 1st Semester that would help narrow things a bit. Last Semester, 5th Period, they both had it off. I know we have the list of everyone in their bowling class - but do we have rosters for all students in each of their classes by semester? I haven't come across it yet, anyway..

But again, I think towards the end Dylan lost his way because he was too afraid to take a risk with leaving his love note with the actual girl it was intended for out of fear of risking rejection. Before he wrote the love note, other girls were in his mind's eye as other potential "maybe" candidates that could be "The One" for him but they never panned out. I recall with one girl he said he thought she waved at him and turns out that she didn't. Sad So, I think at some point, after not being able to figure out who could be his girl and feeling very confused about it all he just gave it all over to "Fate" as to whom would be his "Everlasting Love". Near the end of his journal, he tends to write as though there is a chance he might still find or make that connection with his his true love now, while still on the earth. At least, his thoughts are aligned with the idealized vision in his mind and he seems to hold on to that. However, his justification and contingency was that if he didn't find her now, he would eventually be with her in next level of existence. Dylan was certain that he would still find "The One" eventually.

I also find it interesting on that one page where Dylan lists all of his loves /likes (same thing to him) and that there is an "R" by one of the hearts. I wonder if that's Robyn. As in, he likes her but not as a love interest. Some might even think it's Rachel Scott (!) How's that for an soap opera twist! But there again, one too many letters for the puzzle poem.. ;)

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:26 am

Wow,you make a good case about it not being Tobin .I had just assumed that she had been a Columbine student at one point.I thought I had solved the mystery but I am beginning to think nobody who doesn't already know will ever find out. It seems so impossible to know.I do think he had a thing for Marla unless she is lying about him asking her to prom.She was associated with the TCM so I doubt she is. Maybe she is the one. I'd love to know who the one is because I'm so curious as to what she would be like. But I probably never will.

[quote="InFiNiNcEX5"]
DarkofNight wrote:
After thinking about it for a few days,I think I've come to the conclusion that it was Tobin Kennedy. None of us will ever know for sure but if you put the elements together it fits. Tobin is certainly an unusual name for a girl,he was known to have asked her out and she is a very pretty girl.For me, she fits better than Marla Foust although I think its likely that DK had a thing for her too at the very end. .

At one point, I had too had considered Tobin as being Dylan's Muse.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:33 am

I don't think one of his loves was Rachel. I think that would have come out a long time ago if that was the case. I'm not sure if that could be kept secret since she was a victim.
Back to top Go down
SandraSmit19

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:41 pm

I always thought when Dylan mentioned that she had a strange name like he did, he was referring to her last name since his first name isn't that strange or unusual, it's his last name that's pretty much unique.

CatherineM813

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:28 pm

I always thought when Dylan mentioned that she had a strange name like he did, he was referring to her last name since his first name isn't that strange or unusual, it's his last name that's pretty much unique.

His middle and last name is very unique, I don't know anyone else with the last name Klebold but Harris is extremely common.

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:22 pm

@SandraSmit19 wrote:

A valid point. Though, I wonder if people in general would tend to say: "such a strange last name like mine" because saying "such a strange name" sounds like he is automatically referring to a first name. To me, anyway. idk.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:25 pm

@SandraSmit19 wrote:

Who is Erin Boortz? I don't recall this person being linked with Dylan in any way.
That's one thing about the puzzle poem, you can kinda tweak it to make it fit anybody as long as it's the same amount of characters.
Back to top Go down
SandraSmit19

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:45 pm

InFiNiNcEX5 wrote:

Who is Erin Boortz? I don't recall this person being linked with Dylan in any way.
That's one thing about the puzzle poem, you can kinda tweak it to make it fit anybody as long as it's the same amount of characters.

Oh, it's purely a coincidence that I ever found her name at all. I have absolutely no reason to believe that she is connected to Dylan in any way. It's simply that since I'm so sure the fourth letter is an N and the seventh letter is an O, I started looking for names that would fit that and so far, Erin Boortz is the only Columbine related name I've found. She was a Senior the same year Dylan was and I found her picture in the yearbook. Pretty girl but doesn't look like she was the most popular girl in the school. It might be her, it might not. Since we have no idea who it is, I figured she was as good a guess as any.

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:53 am

DarkofNight wrote:
I don't think one of his loves was Rachel. I think that would have come out a long time ago if that was the case. I'm not sure if that could be kept secret since she was a victim.

Same here. Though, I recall someone pointing out once that Dylan began to seem more giddy during NBK after Rachel Scott was killed. The theory is that if she were his love, he would've been on top of the world that she was set free because he would be soon joining her in death. Rachel Scott's parents perpetrated the idea that Dylan had a crush on Rachel. However, no one else has ever confirmed that. I don't think it's likely. Dylan was probably annoyed having to do the sound for her WWJD christianic plays.
Back to top Go down
carrie12

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:53 am

I always thought that in the "1st love" entry Dylan was referring to Devon because I
understood it like that: he didn't find his name strange but her name and that it resembles
his so much. The strangeness refers to the resemblance. Then he would have been writing about first names.
That would be my best guess about that particular entry. I know it's not so very likely because
he wrote that around the time Devon was dating Zac and in an earlier entry Dylan claimed
to hate her for that. Anyway, just wanted to put in my two cents.
Plus, whoever was his "1st love" definitely wasn't the same person as in the much later written
letter poem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grandma

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:28 am

There is a Girl  named Sabrina "Dyan" Cooley, she was in the same psychology class with both of the boys. Maybe Dyan is a "strange" name, I never heard it before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CatherineM813

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:14 pm

Sabrina Cooley apparently humiliated Eric infront of the class when he asked her to prom.

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:21 am

Ok, I have some roaming thoughts about Dylan's "love life" & love letter & the name poem thing. It's nothing solid & it's not disputing other theories. In fact, for the time being, I'm going with the recipient of the letter/muse of the name poem as being Marla Foust since I have no further information & she's the closest prospect we've found so far. I apologize if this gets long & tedious. I hope it makes sense.  

1) I don't think Dylan is talking about the same girl throughout his journal. On 7-23-97 or sometime between then and 9-5-97 (I think it's on 7-23 cuz on the first page is where he writes about "the Zack situation" & says "that's all for this topic" so I'm thinking the next undated page is just him changing topics, but I digress) he writes about his 1st love. On 9-5-97 he says "The one who I thought was my true love is not.." & talks about how she doesn't give a fuck about him, doesn't even know him. I assume he's referring to the one he called his 1st love. Just a little later in that same entry (9-5) he says "{redacted}...funny how I've been thinking about her over the last few days...giving myself false realities that she, others might have like me..." So I'm assuming this is a new girl, although it could be him just repeating 1st love's name & beating himself up more. But the "others" comment shows he least had other girls in mind even if he didn't write their names down. On 10-14-97 he writes "Possible girlfriends are coming then {redacted}. I'll give up the phony shit in a second..." This redacted may be another new girl or one of the ones he already mentioned, & what of these "possible coming girlfriends"? Later in the same entry (10-14), he says "I want pure bliss...to be cuddling with {redacted}, who I think I love deeper than ever.." Again, this may be a whole new girl or one he already mentioned. 11-3-97 entry "I don't know my love: could be {a bunch of redacted's} or anyone." The church rec thing is referred to here but I really don't know if Marla or any girl at all is referenced, as some have suggested. I can't make out the word he crossed out or the word he replaced it with. 1-2-98 he makes a list of all the chicks he's liked/"loved" "{redacted} is the newest...the purest (for now)." 2-2-98 "I understand everything now...so close to my love-{redacted}. The runes have shown it..." This girl could be the last one he mentioned (the newest & purest for now), as I suspect it is, but it might be an old girl or a new girl altogether. Now, from that point on, it appears to focus on one girl, though I could be wrong of course.

My point is: the censoring & the way he comes across makes it hard to know if he's talking about an old girl, a new girl or the same girl each time. Also, alot of people tend to assume that he ends with the same girl he begins with--that "my 1st love" w/ her strange name is the same person in the name poem much later (or I think later as it isn't dated & idk if they have everything in proper order). It's possible obviously; I'm just a little skeptical.

2) We know that Dylan sometimes used words that he "made up" or tweaked (i.e. depressioners, un-existable), and he sometimes used words in odd ways (i.e. "me is a god" & "why is it the zombies achieve something me wants?" & "My humanity has a foot fetish & bondage extreme liking."). If we ever find out for sure what the name poem says in it's entirety, I wouldn't be surprised if he used words we don't expect--by using a word oddly placed or a word he tweaked to make his own.

3) Something I noticed about the name poem: The first four lines are set up as {redacted} is for {the rest of it}. The next six lines are set up as {redacted} = {the rest of it}. Now, maybe he just felt like writing it that way & it doesn't mean a darn thing. However, I have wondered if this setup was to separate the name, as in the first name being four letters and the last name (or middle name if she went by that) being six letters.

4) Someone mentioned Erin Boortz. I don't know of any connection between her & Dylan, but of course that doesn't mean there wasn't one. As I was looking through the yearbook (I haven't looked through it all yet), she stood out since her name is a four-letter first name/six-letter last name. Possible blanks in the poem:

E is for the endless joy she gives me

R is for how she renders me (or is that word 'the'?) helpless with her beautiful gaze

I is for the intimate/infinite/innocent/? moments she shares with me

N is for the newly found love that I've been looking for all my life

B = is the beauty/bliss/? of us as a couple

O = how often/? I hope to spend time with her

O = how she is the only one I love, that I've ever loved

R = is for the realm/? where we can look at the stars

T = how terrifically/totally/tantalizingly/? beautiful she is

Z = her zest/? for everything she does

Marla's name still probably fits better (though it's not the 4/6 combo, if that even matters). Not saying it is Erin, just another possibility.

4) Marla says in her statement that Dylan asked her to the prom & that she hung out w/ Dylan & Zach the weekend before prom. Now, I'm just trying to figure out when he would have asked her to the prom. Robyn asked Dylan to prom I'm guessing at least two weeks beforehand (that's what Kass' book & an article I read say) & I imagine she would need time to find a dress & make preparations, esp. since she was going to be out of town (Washington, DC trip). According to Robyn, Dylan didn't even know when the prom was--he had to ask her the exact date. Apparently then he didn't pay much attention to prom things, so it's unlikely he asked Marla prior to Robyn asking him. Robyn says Dylan was hesitant about going to the prom (he himself supposedly says on the basement tapes that he didn't want to go). I don't know how soon he gave her an answer--like in the same conversation/day or if it was like 'well, I'll let you know later.' If he didn't give her an answer fairly quickly, then it's possible he asked Marla between the time Robyn asked him & the time he gave her a definite answer. If that's true, & Marla would have said yes, then Dylan would have had to tell Robyn 'Oh sorry, I can't go to the prom with you. I'm going with Marla Foust.' I'm assuming that he'd gave Robyn a definite answer by the weekend before prom. So if Dylan asked Marla that weekend when she hung out w/ him & Zach, or if he asked Marla anytime after already giving Robyn an answer, & Marla would have said yes, then Dylan would've had to tell Robyn 'Yeah about me going to the prom with you, scratch that, I'm going with Marla Foust.'

I mean, I don't know why Marla would lie; I'm not saying she did. It had to have happened sometime. It just sounds weird that, unless he'd already asked Marla & forgot all about the prom (including the date?) until Robyn brought it up, he apparently would have given Robyn the heave-ho if Marla had said yes. Not to mention he would've had to drop Robyn either right before she left for her trip, while she was away, or when she returned which was the day of the prom. The dude could be an asshole when he wanted to be, according to some, & it was his last chance to have a shot with her in this earthly existence since he was planning to commit suicide in a few days. So I can see where he might have done it. It would have been a shame to do that to the chick who helped him get one of his guns, though. The only other scenario being that he just decided to take the plunge & ask Marla, thinking for sure (apparently rightly so) that she would reject him anyway for some reason.
Back to top Go down
REBxVoDKa

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:47 am

Have you guys ever thought of the fact that he was so shy about it, he never told anyone about his great love and therefore there is no publicly known connection between those two? After all.. wouldn't you keep such a thing to yourself if you're really insecure about it? I mean, think about it. I personally think it was about Erin Boortz. Poor guy. I know what he was going through. Take it from a dude with experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lol

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:28 am

^^^^

Poor guy?

Dylan Klebold seemed to be out of his mind by the time '99 hit. Sure, he needed help. I'm damn sure he needed way more help than Eric ever did, but at that point I think it was 'too late' to save that kid, without the help of serious medication...

His writings are ridiculous. And I don't feel sorry for him in anyway. His "love letter" consisted of him feeling sorry for himself. At first it sounded normal, and then it just went completely demented. Eric's letter to Jen sounds far better and he seems more in the "right state of mind" than Dylan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
REBxVoDKa

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:48 am

Of course you don't feel sorry for him in anyway because you've never been in his shoes. It's kind of selfish to say you don't sorry for him. You don't know what he's been through in his younger years. There's not a single person that develops into what he was during a normal childhood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:44 pm

@lol wrote:
^^^^
Dylan Klebold seemed to be out of his mind by the time '99 hit. Sure, he needed help. I'm damn sure he needed way more help than Eric ever did, but at that point I think it was 'too late' to save that kid, without the help of serious medication...

And, uh, by comparison, Eric needed far less help because the majority of his journal and website ruminated about hating (threatening, harassing) various people, despising humanity and planning mass homicide??  Your preference over one seeming significantly more mentally intact seems just a bit skewed.  And let's not forget that Eric was on serious medication and it made no difference or quite possibly exacerbated his state of mind.

@lol wrote:
His writings are ridiculous. And I don't feel sorry for him in anyway. His "love letter" consisted of him feeling sorry for himself. At first it sounded normal, and then it just went completely demented. Eric's letter to Jen sounds far better and he seems more in the "right state of mind" than Dylan

Dylan's style of writing is a vastly different animal than Eric's but that, by default,  doesn't make it 'ridiculous'.   Dylan was extremely shy, quite possibly had Avoidant Personality Disorder and on top of that, he was extremely quick learning and in the gifted program, and lastly he was depressed becoming more so over the years. Those aren't excuses but factors as to why his writing style has him reflecting 'out of the box' and in a disconnected tense. His love letter was probably written more for himself, in fantasy, since he probably knew he would never have the nerve  to risk rejection and actually deposit it in the girl's locker.  And while Eric's letter may sound level and concise, the tone of his letter comes with it's own brand of 'red flags' peppered throughout; it screams desperate and deeply, seriously sincere for someone that hardly knows Jen very well punctuated with a 'Love, Eric' at the end.  Too much intensity; too much and too soon.  It would be like giving a girl one of those serious Hallmark lovey dovey greeting cards too early on in the courtship.  My intent here is to say, both boys had their share of warning signs in their writings.  Dylan and Eric are pretty equal in their deficits but in different ways.  Imo, that  does not make one way nuttier than the other.

@REBxVoDKa wrote:

Of course you don't feel sorry for him in anyway because you've never been in his shoes. It's kind of selfish to say you don't sorry for him. You don't know what he's been through in his younger years.

^^ Agreed. Some here gravitate more towards Eric and others, more towards Dylan  A likely guess is that some of us can identify and relate more on a personal level with one or the other for various reasons.  So, it becomes about feeling a certain amount of sympathy ( if not empathy) as to how Dylan's writing reflects a logical devolution in his  "downward spiral".  I don't particularly pretend to understand a fair amount of Eric's personality complexities but even if I don't, it would be unfair, if not convenient, to chalk up all his issues to simply being a psychopathy.    The same can be said for Dylan and the pitfalls of merely sweeping broad brush strokes over him as 'out of his mind' and completely out of touch with reality.  Both boys had deep, hidden issues, equally, and desparately needed the kind of help that, unfortunately, seemed not to avail itself to them at the time.
Back to top Go down
lol

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Of course you don't feel sorry for him in anyway because you've never been in his shoes. It's kind of selfish to say you don't sorry for him. You don't know what he's been through in his younger years. There's not a single person that develops into what he was during a normal childhood.
As usual, what more can I expect from someone with a fangirl/fanboy name like "RebxVodka"

You have no idea what I dealt with when I was younger, so instead of assuming crap maybe you can try and debunk what I said. And I don't think there was many people who wanted to strap themselves to a bomb and blow themselves up killing many people for his "love" if she didn't feel the same way about him. Hmm?

InFiNiNcEX5 wrote:
^^^^

And, uh, by comparison, Eric needed far less help because the majority of his journal and website ruminated about hating (threatening, harassing) various people, despising humanity and planning mass homicide??  Your preference over one seeming significantly more mentally intact seems just a bit skewed.  And let's not forget that Eric was on serious medication and it made no difference or quite possibly exacerbated his state of mind.
Eric wrote for an audience...that's the big difference. Dylan's journal was never meant to be read. Eric's journal was. He was just trying to act all big, and bad. Big deal.

InFiNiNcEX5 wrote:

Dylan's style of writing is a vastly different animal than Eric's but that, by default,  doesn't make it 'ridiculous'.   Dylan was extremely shy, quite possibly had Avoidant Personality Disorder and on top of that, he was extremely quick learning and in the gifted program, and lastly he was depressed becoming more so over the years. Those aren't excuses but factors as to why his writing style has him reflecting 'out of the box' and in a disconnected tense. His love letter was probably written more for himself, in fantasy, since he probably knew he would never have the nerve  to risk rejection and actually deposit it in the girl's locker.  And while Eric's letter may sound level and concise, the tone of his letter comes with it's own brand of 'red flags' peppered throughout; it screams desperate and deeply, seriously sincere for someone that hardly knows Jen very well punctuated with a 'Love, Eric' at the end.  Too much intensity; too much and too soon.  It would be like giving a girl one of those serious Hallmark lovey dovey greeting cards too early on in the courtship.  My intent here is to say, both boys had their share of warning signs in their writings.  Dylan and Eric are pretty equal in their deficits but in different ways.  Imo, that  does not make one way nuttier than the other.
You're a Dylan fanboy, and probably think he's a mere follower. Gotcha. Anyone would in their right mind would know that Dylan's letter from Eric's letter is completely different. One is from a depressed guy, and the other seems much more "normal"

I don't think many people really understand how messed up Dylan truly was. It's amazing how people still think he was just a depressed emo little follower. Wow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:47 pm

InFiNiNcEX5 wrote:
@lol wrote:
^^^^

@LOL wrote:
Eric wrote for an audience...that's the big difference. Dylan's journal was never meant to be read. Eric's journal was. He was just trying to act all big, and bad. Big deal.

I'm so glad we have you, as the ~authority~, to clear that up and reassure us that, phew! Eric only wrote in his journal for an audience and not one iota of it was his own, personal thoughts and feelings and view on life and how to go about ending it.  That Eric didn't at all mean any of the malicious intent when he was writing about how he and V would first enter Brooks Brown's home, piss on the parents, beat/kill them and then move on to the burning and razing Denver/NYC, if he could.  He was just making up some stuff for people to read and no, it didn't have anything to do with his own rage and personal vendetta against the Browns all stemming from Brooks not driving him to school on time.   On the other hand, Dylan was clearly just a mental nut describing how he'd strap a bomb to himself if the girl he loved didn't love him, and no it had nothing to do with his self loathing, self destructive, depressive frame of mind while writing that bit.  A-hem, clearly  the two were writing fantasies to exorcise and purge their personal negative feelings.  Who are you to say that ever bit that Eric wrote in his journal was entirely for an audience, and only for an audience?   That's like Cullen saying Eric was just a psychopath and there is nothing more to it that meets the eye.

InFiNiNcEX5 wrote:
@lol wrote:

@LOL wrote:
You're a Dylan fanboy, and probably think he's a mere follower. Gotcha. Anyone would in their right mind would know that Dylan's letter from Eric's letter is completely different. One is from a depressed guy, and the other seems much more "normal"

I don't think many people really understand how messed up Dylan truly was. It's amazing how people still think he was just a depressed emo little follower. Wow.

Got ya. In pegging me a 'Dylan fanboy", you've, by default, painted yourself as the fervent Eric fanboy in having rationalized the opposite by default: that it was big, bad crazy Dylan that masterminded NBK, influenced Eric how to dress and what music to listen to and also encouraged Eric to unleash and spew all the nasty vitriol in his journals and website..but really, if you read in between all the blatant, warlike "I Hate The World" lines in Eric's journal, he was simply a hurt, rejected, misunderstood soul that wanted to be loved and appreciated.  Careful, those simplistic stereotypes can work both ways.  If you really bothered to read and understand my sentiment above, you wouldn't have played the predictable, preferential "Dylan's the nut; Eric is more normal" card.  That's the kind of retort I just won't even bother with in the future.
Back to top Go down
tfsa47090
Moderator & Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:47 pm

lol, while everyone is very much entitled to their views and opinions; it is in fact encouraged on this forum, name calling and personal attacks are not allowed here. It seems to be on the brink of turning personal in this thread. The owners of this forum have made their rules very clear in multiple areas here.

It is perfectly fine to disagree and have serious debates, but please refrain from attacking anyone personally. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
REBxVoDKa

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:29 am

As usual, what more can I expect from someone with a fangirl/fanboy name like "RebxVodka"

You have no idea what I dealt with when I was younger, so instead of assuming crap maybe you can try and debunk what I said. And I don't think there was many people who wanted to strap themselves to a bomb and blow themselves up killing many people for his "love" if she didn't feel the same way about him. Hmm?

EDIT: Edited out the original message as to keep the forum clean. :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
em81

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:05 pm

For a time I thought it was the famous Marla Foust. But then I read her statement in 11k. I can not suggest that Dylan asked her for prom. Maybe she did not know him really. I read in her statement that she called Devon Adams Dylans exgirlfriend. Devon was not his girlfriend, but a friend.

Erin Boortz... the only i remeber is that her father reported to the police that they found bullet holes in her car after they cleaned it.

Tobin Kennedy, i do not know something about her, maybe someone tell me please.

But one point: she has a rare forname. Cullen wrote that he has edited her name to "harriet" because to protect the girl. So I suggest if we know her name, we know who she is.

There are more than three girls with strange names in Columbine. But think about it: They were in one class. He wrote this in 1997, i think. And this year he saw her rarely. Some hints, it´s like a puzzle, but we missed some parts, maybe.

Sorry for my bad english, Columbine is the only way to read and write english.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
em81

PostSubject: Re: Dylan's great love decoded?   Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:23 pm

something about Tobin:

Eric Harris asked Tobin out but Tobin declined him. Source: her sister Deborah Deanna Tobin
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Dylan's great love decoded?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next