Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

SSRI's?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bradt93
Banned

PostSubject: SSRI's?   Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:29 pm

Why do SSRI's get a bad name? I'm on a SSRI, prozac and it really helps me. Is it when withdraw from them, they start having problems?
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: SSRI's?   Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:34 pm

SSRI do give problems with withdrawl. The other issue is that some don't work for some people. They can have very bad side effects and suicidal thoughts that they did not have before.

bradt93
Banned

PostSubject: Re: SSRI's?   Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:01 pm

Actually, I take my prozac with another medication called lamictal. The lamictal is a mood stabilizer, so that could also help if you take a SSRI with something else to counter balance it.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: SSRI's?   Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:48 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Actually, I take my prozac with another medication called lamictal. The lamictal is a mood stabilizer, so that could also help if you take a SSRI with something else to counter balance it.

Yes that is something that has to happen for some. I myself am currently on Effexor and not looking forward to eventually coming off of it. My dr suggested that when I do wean off I will have to take something else such as Paxil so that the withdrawl effects are not as harsh

bradt93
Banned

PostSubject: Re: SSRI's?   Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:57 am

I hear you, when I was on vacation in California, I was off the prozac for awhile, because I thought I didn't need it and was donig well. How stupid a decision that was, I was in my condo and suddenly I started having racing thoughts, it's like my brain was spinning and I was delirious. I started sweating really badly and had thoughts of suicide/homicide. Luckily, after I got back from vacation, I started my prozac again, but it ruined my vacation. Mad
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: SSRI's?   Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:01 am

I hear you, when I was on vacation in California, I was off the prozac for awhile, because I thought I didn't need it and was donig well. How stupid a decision that was, I was in my condo and suddenly I started having racing thoughts, it's like my brain was spinning and I was delirious. I started sweating really badly and had thoughts of suicide/homicide. Luckily, after I got back from vacation, I started my prozac again, but it ruined my vacation. Mad

It can be so so bad. I missed a few days due to a stomach bug. I was already sick but the brain zaps and the vertigo just made it so much worse. I know that these drugs are very helpful but there needs to be a better way to come off of them

lilypadlane

PostSubject: Re: SSRI's?   Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:01 pm

I am also on Effexor, after a horrible response to Paxil. My own experience with Paxil was that it sent me into a manic episode, which led to my Bipolar diagnosis. I think a lot of the bad name comes from people who , as I did at the time, need a mood stabilizer with it. Unfortunately, doctors don't know who does and who doesn't until it's too late.

I dread going off of Effexor because I can't even miss one day's dose without the "electrical shocks" , or rather brain spasms, as I prefer to call them. That's more what it feels like to me.

Banned

PostSubject: Re: SSRI's?   Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:21 pm

Was Dylan or Eric on them? Were their even mood stabilizers back in 1999? I know their were SSRI's. It could alos explain why the 2 guys lost it, not being on their medication.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: SSRI's?   Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:35 pm

Was Dylan or Eric on them? Were their even mood stabilizers back in 1999? I know their were SSRI's. It could alos explain why the 2 guys lost it, not being on their medication.

Dylan tried St Johns Wort. It is over the counter and can help a depressed mood but far as I know there is no scientific evidence for that.

Eric was on Zoloft, then taken off that and put on Luvox. Brooks Brown claimed that Eric would abuse his medicine going on and off it at will. (you can decide if you believe him or not) but Eric did have Luvox in his system when he died so he was taking it then.

bradt93
Banned

PostSubject: Re: SSRI's?   Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:58 pm

Very strange, because these medicines are supposed to help, not harm.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: SSRI's?   Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:49 am

Very strange, because these medicines are supposed to help, not harm.

yes, A lot of people believe Eric was misdiagnosed. When he started the zoloft, he complained of restlessness and racing thoughts. So they moved to the Luvox. I don't think it affected him in the right ways. Some of the side effects can be suicidal thoughts or homicidal thoughts. I think the luvox may well have contributed to Eric's homicidal thoughts.

lilypadlane

PostSubject: Re: SSRI's?   Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:45 am

There were mood stabilizers back then . Depakote would have been around for certain, as well a Lithium and carbamazepine.

I personally believe Eric was misdiagnosed. What Eric described on Zoloft are symptoms of mania.

If Brooks was truthful about Eric going off and on meds, it would have likely led to a worsening of symptoms.

PostSubject: Re: SSRI's?   Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:13 am

There were mood stabilizers back then . Depakote would have been around for certain, as well a Lithium and carbamazepine.

I personally believe Eric was misdiagnosed. What Eric described on Zoloft are symptoms of mania.

If Brooks was truthful about Eric going off and on meds, it would have likely led to a worsening of symptoms.

What I'm curious about was, did the Zoloft cause Eric's racing thoughts which caused the change to Luvox? Some SSRIs do that to people. I had that issue with Prozac. I think Eric was misdiagnosed too.

To sort of answer the OP's question. In 1999, there wasn't as much information available about the issues associated with prescribing psychogenic drugs to teenagers and what you described with your medication is known adjunctive therapy where an SSRI/SNRI is augmented with another drug in another class to increase the effectiveness of the original drug.

I don't believe the antidepressants caused Eric's thinking (and isn't that why the suit against Luvox's manufacturer failed, because they couldn't prove that the drug caused Eric's homicidal actions?) and I doubt Brooks Brown assertion that Eric was going on and off medication willy-nilly because his autopsy shows that he had a therapeutic dose of Luvox in his system at the time of his death. If he were going on and off medication - or had done so close to Columbine occurring the autopsy would have shown sub-therapeutic levels of the drug in the toxicology report.
Back to top Go down

SSRI's?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Miscellaneous :: Mental Health-
Jump to: