Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

'Betsy'

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: 'Betsy'   Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:32 am

The first time I researched Columbine briefly and forgot about it until I did so again sometime 2014, got hooked and joined this forum later, one of the things I had looked up was Eric's writings which intrigued me. I remember kinda liking this one and saved it in an old laptop until it broke and somehow I couldn't find this essay I think? for school? again up till now.

I liked the way he wrote in this one. and I think it might refer to Brandi and I'm not the only one who assumed this too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"This female, who I will call Betsy, is a sad woman. She spends all of her time in front of a mirror putting makeup on. She seems like a slutty, trendy bitch that people like to look at since she seems "pretty" by the social standards. She feels very dense, she just smiles and says "gosh, OK!" in a cheerful but dumb manner. She just wants to be liked. She doesn't know she is different, she thinks she is normal and not different.

Some words that would describe her are dense, stupid, shallow, and dazed. She feels happy yet uncomfortable. She is covered with pasty tan makeup and has golden hair. She smells of cheap perfume and hairspray. I hear wind ... or the ocean ... when looking at her. She remembers that she has an audition coming up for a cheap B-movie part where she thinks she will be acting. She feels smooth yet cold. The taste of polyester comes to mind."

I sort of want to analyse the way he's describing this possibly actual existing girl for a bit. I think it's romantic in a depressing and realistic way.
He knows this girl is shallow, and superficiality is all she cares about. This girl has nothing else to offer.
But he is still mesmerised by her. He wants to pursue her.

Quote :
She just smiles and says “gosh, ok” in a cheerful, but dumb manner. She just wants to be liked. She doesn’t know she is different. She thinks she is normal, and not different. Dense, stupid, shallow, dazed.

But yet, he's also describing her as if he sees inside of her and believes that she might have potential to be a special person but she's simply another victim of society and having to be pretty, basic and fit in. So she has to dumb herself down.

I think Eric just wants to believe 'Betsy' could potentially be more than what she offers so he could like her, even though he knows deep down she's just another one of those girls.

That's why you're on your own tonight
With your triumphs and your charms
While they are in each other's arms
Oh mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head
And as I climb into an empty bed
Oh well, enough said

Last edited by shades on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kiwik
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: 'Betsy'   Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:13 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

I sort of want to analyse the way he's describing this possibly actual existing girl for a bit. I think it's romantic in a depressing and realistic way.
He knows this girl is shallow, and superficiality is all she cares about. This girl has nothing else to offer.
But he is still mesmerised by her. He wants to pursue her.

I like this essay too, and I think you're spot on with this description. I look at it like one of those situations Where you know you're not compatible with someone, they're not good for you and you know it wouldn't work, but you're still attracted to them anyway even if you don't know why.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: 'Betsy'   Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:44 am

I agree with what you stated. If about Brandi, then he wanted her to be someone who he felt he was like. Someone that knows more than the others. Was she? Honestly I think no. Just because how she treated him after his death

shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: 'Betsy'   Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:35 am

I think this is a really intimate dedication towards Brandi. I wonder how much he thought about her, even perhaps possibly sexually or something...

Oh well, enough said

Back to top Go down
Kiwik
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: 'Betsy'   Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:42 pm

It seems like a bitter dedication if it is one. If someone wrote something like this about me I'd probably be a little upset haha. It sounds like he wrote this after he realized she wasn't interested in him but he still had feelings for her.
Back to top Go down
shades
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: 'Betsy'   Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:08 am

Yeah, bitter but still longing. She is a product of society but he's still trying to paint her in a special light so his desire for her would make some sense.
I said that It was intimate because he mustve thought about her a lot to realise this.

Oh well, enough said

Back to top Go down
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: 'Betsy'   Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:47 am

I think Eric was obv physically attracted to Brandi. I think the fact that she was new to the school helped too. I almost think he wanted her to get to know him on a personal level before she realized how the school perceived him. But she was not that girl. She ignored him. Still he put her in that place longingly.

'Betsy'
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Thoughts on the Shooting-
Jump to: