Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 
 

 Aspergers help, 28 year old here.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bradt93
Permanently Banned


Posts : 281
Join date : 2016-12-21
Location : United States

PostSubject: Aspergers help, 28 year old here.   Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:43 pm

Hi, since this is the mental health section, I was wondering if anyone or knows any friends that can relate to my experience? I have aspergers, it's not "mental retardation", it's a social disorder. I have a hard time being around a lot of people and communicating, though I'm smart as a whip in my studies. I was wondering what causes aspergers if anyone knows? Are you born with it or does it take awhile for therapists to diagnose you with it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 1864
Join date : 2016-03-02
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: Aspergers help, 28 year old here.   Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:30 am

I do not have aspergers or autism myself but do have friends with it. As far as I know you are born with it, but it doesn't always manifest itself right away. Usually people are not diagnosed until they are in school and having difficulties there, but young children can be diagnosed on certain signs. Things like hand flapping can signal autism in babies, but not all children that flap their hands do have autism.

_________________
Hold me now I need to feel complete
Like I matter to the one I need
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bradt93
Permanently Banned


Posts : 281
Join date : 2016-12-21
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: Aspergers help, 28 year old here.   Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:11 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I do not have aspergers or autism myself but do have friends with it.  As far as I know you are born with it, but it doesn't always manifest itself right away.  Usually people are not diagnosed until they are in school and having difficulties there, but young children can be diagnosed on certain signs.  Things like hand flapping can signal autism in babies, but not all children that flap their hands do have autism.  
have your friends had any problems holding a relationship? because this disorder is giving me a hell of a hard time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shades

avatar

Posts : 2716
Join date : 2016-03-05
Location : 13th Beach

PostSubject: Re: Aspergers help, 28 year old here.   Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:15 pm

Could you describe what specifically happens during social encounters due to Aspergers? What are your experiences?

_________________
Will you remain my fire in this temporary paradise?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 1864
Join date : 2016-03-02
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: Aspergers help, 28 year old here.   Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:37 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I do not have aspergers or autism myself but do have friends with it.  As far as I know you are born with it, but it doesn't always manifest itself right away.  Usually people are not diagnosed until they are in school and having difficulties there, but young children can be diagnosed on certain signs.  Things like hand flapping can signal autism in babies, but not all children that flap their hands do have autism.  
have your friends had any problems holding a relationship? because this disorder is giving me a hell of a hard time.

One of them is very recently married. The woman he married does not have autism. She has had to do a bit of changing of her life. She knows how he is and accepts him. His main issue is not knowing boundaries when talking to people. He will bring up poor topics or say things that are not considered acceptable. She actually helps him in this.

_________________
Hold me now I need to feel complete
Like I matter to the one I need
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bradt93
Permanently Banned


Posts : 281
Join date : 2016-12-21
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: Aspergers help, 28 year old here.   Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:42 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I do not have aspergers or autism myself but do have friends with it.  As far as I know you are born with it, but it doesn't always manifest itself right away.  Usually people are not diagnosed until they are in school and having difficulties there, but young children can be diagnosed on certain signs.  Things like hand flapping can signal autism in babies, but not all children that flap their hands do have autism.  
have your friends had any problems holding a relationship? because this disorder is giving me a hell of a hard time.

One of them is very recently married.  The woman he married does not have autism.  She has had to do a bit of changing of her life.  She knows how he is and accepts him.  His main issue is not knowing boundaries when talking to people.  He will bring up poor topics or say things that are not considered acceptable.  She actually helps him in this.  
Well, when I am in class groups doing a project, I do really well. It's just that I don't like hanging out with people outside my school, people my own age. I want to go out and meet people outside of school, but something olds me back where I don't. I actually socialize very well in class with my peers. It's just outside that I have this problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hate99
Banned. Accounts not permitted to anyone under the age of 15.
avatar

Posts : 124
Join date : 2017-01-25
Age : 13
Location : Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: Aspergers help, 28 year old here.   Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:34 pm

I am not diagnosed with aspergers but rather ADD and a wide range of anxiety disorders sich as OCD and panic disorder, but I can say that I have the same problems as you when it comes to socializing. When I am touched I recoil, I stutter and avoid eye contact, etc.

_________________
It's weird thinking about why you're in this body, here. Why were you chosen for this person?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
philosopher_king

avatar

Posts : 270
Join date : 2013-03-15
Location : somewhere that you are not.

PostSubject: Re: Aspergers help, 28 year old here.   Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:53 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Hi, since this is the mental health section, I was wondering if anyone or knows any friends that can relate to my experience? I have aspergers, it's not "mental retardation", it's a social disorder. I have a hard time being around a lot of people and communicating, though I'm smart as a whip in my studies. I was wondering what causes Aspergers if anyone knows? Are you born with it or does it take awhile for therapists to diagnose you with it?

I have that diagnoses and not everyone is the same. Some have a mild, maybe unnoticed, case while others are more obvious by their symptoms. There is no clear cause with Aspergers. Genetics has been viewed as having a role, but certainly not the case with "Refrigerator moms." The answer is still unclear. It could easily be a combination of multiple unexplained factors.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smiggles94

avatar

Posts : 154
Join date : 2017-04-12
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: Aspergers help, 28 year old here.   Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:41 pm

I scored 36 on the AQ test.
My parents always thought I had it, it would explain why I can't socialise.
I'm not the same as everyone else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Aspergers help, 28 year old here.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» End of Year General Meeting
» Draco Malfoy - 6th Year
» Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
» 100 Year Mission: Beacons and Prophecies ( Steigmaz, Zeno )
» 11 Year old Mother

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Miscellaneous :: Mental Health-
Jump to: