Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Dawson College

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
21stcenturyreality

PostSubject: Dawson College   Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:56 pm

"Life is like a video game... you gotta die sometime."

The Dawson College shooting was perpetrated by 25 year old Kimveer Gill on September 13th, 2006. It is third mass shooting to ever occur in Canada - after the attack in Concordia University in 1992. There were only two deaths - the perpetrator and Anastasia De Sousa.

The Killer
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Kimveer Gill was born on July 9th, 1981, to a pair of Punjabi parents in Lachine, Quebec. He drifted from school to school, but was recognized by his teachers for high academic achievement. However, he was relatively unassuming and did not participate much. Unlike many mass shooters, Gill had a large circle of friends and did not experience any bullying. He had at least eight friends, and his height intimidated anyone who thought of messing with him, according to former friend Dennis Pavia.

In early 1999, Gill received about a month of training from the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School. For an unknown reason, Gill was determined to be unfit for military service and was thus discharged. The training at the school is described as mentally and physically stressful, which may have been a factor. After this, he joined a rifle club to forward his goal of becoming a mercenary. He stayed in this club for the next few years - he even visited one of their firing ranges on the day before the shooting.

During the last years of his life, Gill was extremely influenced by Goth culture. He began an obsession with conspiracy theories and the Columbine High School shooting. He ceased all contact with his friends and fell into a highly depressive period. His mother noticed this extreme change in her son's behavior, but never chose to pursue it.

Gill (a.k.a fatality666) was very active on the internet, mostly taking for pictures on the website VampireFreaks. In some of the photos, Gill poses with the weapons he would later use during the massacre: a hunting knife and a Beretta Cx4 Storm. During the shooting, Gill brought with him a Glock pistol and a sawn-off shotgun, but they saw limited use.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

His profile also included a list of favorite media; an obvious influence can be seen from Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, as Gill lists movies like Natural Born Killers and bands like KMFDM and Rammstein.

Movies:

Video Games:

He described Super Columbine Massacre RPG! as his favorite game. Gill also compared himself to the Postal Dude, and says that his character is very relatable: "Postal dude was sad before he became angry and psychotic, that's the part we're never seen in the game. He was normal, but the world made him the way he became".
Music:

The song A Tout le Monde, by Megadeth, was blamed by many for the shooting. This is because it's lyrics deal with a suicide, and it was mentioned in Kimveer's final blog post, just minutes before the shooting occurred.

Last edited by 21stcenturyreality on Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 10 years ahead, thanks sscc)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
21stcenturyreality

PostSubject: Re: Dawson College   Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:00 pm

My thoughts on the shooting:
Dawson College is one of my favorite crime cases, even thought it is quite underrated, and even my Canadian friends don't know much about it. I have memories of being very young and seeing it go down on the news (I live near the border.) I had no idea what was going on, but it was always on the back of my head. Another memory comes from some time last year. I was flipping through Special:Random on Wikipedia when I came across his page. I could relate a lot to him, by reading his taste in music and games, plus his mental health. I had no idea that he committed such a deed. Thus, Dawson is my first step into being interested in true crime, and that's why I spend so much time on it.

Other stuff:
Sorry if the OP isn't very good. This is my first time writing something like this. I also plan on adding some more details on the victim and the event later down the line, so stay tuned for that.

sscc
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Dawson College   Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:56 pm

Thanks for posting [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

I recently read a comparison of Kimveer Gill and Marc Lepine, another shooter from Montreal who attacked a college in 1989. It covers many of the details of their personal lives and discusses their similarities and differences.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The most interesting part of it, which I had not read about before, was the possible influence of a friend of Gill's, Rajiv Rajan. Here's the part that talks about his friend.

Langman wrote:
He also began spending more time with an old friend named Rajiv Rajan. Mrs. Gill observed that her son was influenced by Rajan. She said, “Rajiv said that it was very easy to manipulate Kimveer because he’s too honest and too trusting.” This raises the question of what Rajan was manipulating Gill to do. Mrs. Gill noticed that even Kimveer’s mannerisms and voice began to mirror that of his friend.

The influence of Rajan becomes an important consideration because in January 2006, he and Gill took photographs of themselves posing with one of Gill’s firearms — the same one he used at Dawson College. In addition, after Gill’s rampage on 13 September 2006, Rajan sent an e-mail to someone indicating that another rampage could occur if his demand for $10 billion was not met. When police searched Rajan’s home, they found a three-page letter of Rajan’s in which he again demanded $10 billion. It was also reported that Rajan had vowed to follow in Gill’s footsteps by carrying out another school shooting. Whether the two men discussed committing a rampage attack is unknown. Despite Rajan’s threats, police found no weapons in his home

He suggests that Gill's deterioration was due to the onset of psychosis related to schizophrenia and wonders if he may have been influenced by Rajan in way that was similar to how Dylan was influenced by Eric (if you believe that theory).

Langman wrote:
Gill admired Harris and Klebold, and apparently modeled himself after Harris. Though I categorized Harris as a psychopath, Gill did not engage in psychopathic behavior or appear to have psychopathic personality traits. He left no history of criminal or sadistic behavior throughout his life. There are not even reports of aggression, explosive anger, manipulation, or narcissism. He was a well-behaved young man who struck people as remarkably gentle.

In fact, the reports of his gentleness are reminiscent of what people said about Dylan Klebold. Klebold was described not only as gentle, but as unusually non-violent. Both Klebold and Gill changed from gentleness to violence. Another possible parallel between the two is that Klebold was influenced by a psychopathic peer (Eric Harris), and Gill may have been influenced by a more dominant peer, too (Rajiv Rajan).

Gill and Klebold differed in the onset of their problems. Klebold struggled with mental health problems throughout his adolescence. Gill sailed through middle school and high school with no evidence of any difficulties. As he entered adulthood, however, his functioning deteriorated and he apparently sought to establish an identity as a powerful person. This would explain his emulation of Eric Harris and admiration of Aryan warriors.

I referred above to Gill’s mental health problems. What sort of problem did he have? I suggest that he had adult-onset schizophrenia. The average age of onset for schizophrenia among males is in the mid-twenties, and this makes sense of what we know about Gill. There were reportedly no signs during his childhood or adolescence of any psychological or social abnormalities. After high school, he tried college, then the military, and then had a series of jobs.

By the time that he was approximately 24 years old, however, he essentially withdrew from life. He didn’t work. He didn’t attend school. He didn’t date. His friends drifted away. He became increasingly isolated and reclusive. He lived with his parents and spent most of his time in his room, speaking less and less to his family. This level of deterioration is consistent with someone struggling with schizophrenia. In addition, his writings suggest paranoid delusions and delusions of grandeur. Delusions are one of the diagnostic criteria for schizophrenia.

Are there alternative explanations? Social withdrawal could be the result of depression. If he were just depressed, however, he would not be paranoid or have delusions of grandeur. Besides, his online writing is more notable for anger and contempt than depression. Dylan Klebold’s journal clearly documented his anguish, depression, self-loathing, and suicidal thoughts. The same is true of Jeffrey Weise’s online posts. Gill’s writings do not reveal significant signs of depression.

STK

PostSubject: Re: Dawson College   Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Why were there so few deaths? 20 shot and only 1 fatality

sscc
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Dawson College   Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:32 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Why were there so few deaths? 20 shot and only 1 fatality
I wonder about this, too. Supposedly, he had weapons training from his brief time in a military program and visited a shooting range before the killings. Maybe he didn't aim to kill. It could be worth mentioning that in his final message on the VampireFreaks websites, two hours before the shooting, he said "Whiskey in the morning, mmmmm, mmmmmmm good!!" so it's possible that he was somewhat intoxicated when he went to the college.

sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Dawson College   Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:05 pm

Kimveer Gill was confronted quickly before he could really get a chance to kill a bunch of people, although he did wound many.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Dawson College
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1