Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Could Columbine Happen Today?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
thenight_watchman

PostSubject: Could Columbine Happen Today?   Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:25 pm

Sorry if this is a repeat of a topic, I tried to look around and didn't see much.
So this is one of my very favorite questions to ask people and kick off conversations with other researchers with. And that is, do you think Columbine could happen today? I know it's quite a morbid one, but it's honestly fascinating to think about in perspective to everything. Back then and now, and to see what really has changed since then and what has been affected because of the shooting.

Of course you can always throw around theories such as, "if it didn't happen in '99 what could happen if it happened today?" or "after happening in '99, could it happen again?"

Yes, there have been school shootings, but I mean an almost, if not exact copy of Columbine. Same plans, same bombs/weapons, everything. Maybe even a little alternation, but still about the same.
What do you think would happen and do you think it could succeed?
Would love to hear some perspectives on it.

PostSubject: Re: Could Columbine Happen Today?   Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:32 pm

Well I believe it could very well happen depending on the given situation, I heard about girls attempting to shoot their school because they were inspired by Eric and Dylan.
It's not frequent but you can't write it off, that's for sure.

Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Could Columbine Happen Today?   Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:33 pm

Columbine could happen today but it would not be Columbine.

Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Could Columbine Happen Today?   Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:10 pm

Yes it could happen. But there would be so many different things. Smart phones didn't exist back then for one thing. I think that alone would change a ton of things.

Youtube is also new. Imagine if 17 year old Eric had access to youtube?

sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Could Columbine Happen Today?   Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:42 pm

It definitely could happen today and or anytime in the future.

Back to top Go down
Scarletmoon
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Could Columbine Happen Today?   Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:21 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Yes it could happen.  But there would be so many different things.  Smart phones didn't exist back then for one thing.  I think that alone would change a ton of things.

Youtube is also new.  Imagine if 17 year old Eric had access to youtube?

He would have been on youtube spewing his hatred rather than writing it on a website. Columbine would be very different I agree, likely there would be more footage. I think the basement tapes would have likely been posted on YouTube as well since they wanted to world to see it, feel their rage. Alot of potential school shooters are getting caught now which is great, but Columbine could definitely happen today.
Back to top Go down
thenight_watchman

PostSubject: Re: Could Columbine Happen Today?   Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:35 pm

I usually ponder this topic around and go back and forth with myself, and more than often think another Columbine couldn't happen. A school shooting, yes. Another Columbine, no.
They've revised intruder and school shooter procedures so much and so often that I think that would be the large downfall to it happening again.
I know alone, I've counted 40 different cameras in my school with a front desk attendant there all day to watch the cameras. Every door is locked and only accessible with key cards. There is an administrator in every hallways, all hours of the day, including multiple during each lunch. I know it would be possible to work around those things, but you'd either need to be really involved in school or know people and I just don't think it could be possible for 2 people alone without anyone suspecting.
Plus, if you were able to get in and begin or some how get a bomb to go off. The teachers know what to do now. They wouldn't make their students hide under tables and the cops wait outside for 3 hours before going in. It's the same for many schools around the country. Kids also know the "quiet kid that's actually the school shooter" joke/stereotype so they're ready to go if shit hits the fan.
BUT. This is from the perspective of Columbine that had happened in '99. If Columbine happened for the first time now adays, everything would be completely different.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Could Columbine Happen Today?   Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:52 pm

A recent example of a mass shooting on June 12 2016 where the cops did not neutralize the shooter quickly was the Pulse Nightclub Shooting.

It was over 3 hours after the initial shooting when the cops finally engaged him.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quite a long time for such a recent event with all the updated police procedures.

Law enforcement justifies this by saying that it took so long because it went from an active shooter situation to a barricaded hostage situation --- reminiscent of the same justification from Columbine.

Back to top Go down
ColumbineIsInterestingAF
Permanently Banned

PostSubject: Re: Could Columbine Happen Today?   Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:03 am

lol here's the thing, it wouldn't be "another columbine". It would be a copy-cat. There is no columbine round 2, it would be its own school shooting so it doesn't really make sense how you keep saying that. Even if someone went out of there way to copy every single thing they did it wouldn't be genuine like it was for Eric and dylan, it would be a copy cat.
Back to top Go down
YouDontSeeMe

PostSubject: Re: Could Columbine Happen Today?   Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:13 am

I think it could. However, I know in some larger schools, security measures against these types of things have been taken. The high school I went to though, much smaller, and nothing to deter something like this from happening.

I'm out the door again...
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Could Columbine Happen Today?   Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:15 am

I mean an almost, if not exact copy of Columbine. Same plans, same bombs/weapons, everything. Maybe even a little alternation, but still about the same. What do you think would happen and do you think it could succeed? Would love to hear some perspectives on it.

Good point about the copycat thing.

Whether it is perceived as a copycat crime or not it is without question that it could happen anytime.

Whether it succeeds or not depends on many factors related to the event in question.

Back to top Go down
thenight_watchman

PostSubject: Re: Could Columbine Happen Today?   Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:15 am

lol here's the thing, it wouldn't be "another columbine". It would be a copy-cat. There is no columbine round 2, it would be its own school shooting so it doesn't really make sense how you keep saying that. Even if someone went out of there way to copy every single thing they did it wouldn't be genuine like it was for Eric and dylan, it would be a copy cat.

I completely understand what you're saying there. Yes, it in no way would be a second Columbine. I guess it's just easier to called it "another Columbine", but you're completely right though. It would be a copy-cat shooting.

Could Columbine Happen Today?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1