Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Why is Columbine still relevant?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
myshame

PostSubject: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:32 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That's just the latest story of a teenager invoking Columbine and getting arrested.

This kid was born after the massacre, though. Why is this teenager familiar with the event.

I mean, the media's partly to blame, with every single reference to Columbine becoming front-page material, even to this day.

Last edited by myshame on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:16 pm

There are a few threads about this you can find around on this section. Many theories,,,, when it happened, how it happened, how there were 2 "bullied" young men from a nice area with nice families trying to blow up the school. I think it will always be relevent

View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:18 pm

View user profile
myshame

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:28 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
There are a few threads about this you can find around on this section.  Many theories,,,, when it happened, how it happened, how there were 2 "bullied" young men from a nice area with nice families trying to blow up the school.  I think it will always be relevent

But this is removed from the actual event. Just saying "Columbine!" is enough to drive a headline in 2017. It's utterly ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
W.A.R.

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:32 pm

its the most infamous school shooting so it will always be relevant just as Ted Bundy will be to serial murder.

myshame

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:43 pm

its the most infamous school shooting so it will always be relevant just as Ted Bundy will be to serial murder.

Come to think of it, you don't hear much about serial murderers anymore, do you? Increase in surveillance killed that phenomenon, I bet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jbow89

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:38 pm

Come to think of it, you don't hear much about serial murderers anymore, do you? Increase in surveillance killed that phenomenon, I bet.

With technology now days it's way too hard to be a serial killer. Go back 30 years ago you could easily lure your victims behind stores (now there's cameras everywhere) or meet up with someone in a rural area (now police can track/triangulate phone signals) and even if you left evidence behind it would take labs months to get results if any, by that time most serial killers already moved on to another area.

When it comes to school shootings it wouldn't surprise me if Feds monitor sites like this checking for strange posts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dahlia_rose

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:52 pm

It would depend on how reliable you hold certain media sources to be these days, but the Scientific American stated, "The FBI estimates that there are between twenty-five and fifty serial killers operating throughout the U.S. at any given time."

I've heard it told, in one way or another, that the idea survives death. The person can die, but the impression marks those left behind. That is their "inheritance". People die too many ways to enumerate, but acts of high profile murder "mark" the living, so to speak, and the idea lives on. I'd say that is pretty true in crime today, where jihadists and "the angry white kid" (Lanza, Rodger, Kinkel, Cho, ect.) are the new kamikazes of this century. All across history there have been droves of fanatical and brazen men, those ready to die.

Columbine remains relevant because of the mark it left on popular culture and the public consciousness. With songs like "Pumped Up Kicks" (267M views on YT) and tv shows like Everyone Hates Chris referencing the event, the mark E/D left behind is apparent. That's probably how kids who were born after are still finding out about it.

The thread also reminded me of this low life serial killer who said something along the lines of, "There'll be more of your children dead tomorrow." Might've been Bundy, but I'm not certain.

I'm sure we could all agree that the world does not want for maniacs. There's plenty of them to go around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:35 pm

You are right, it was Ted Bundy:

“We serial killers are your sons, we are your husbands, we are everywhere. And there will be more of your children dead tomorrow”

The 14 Creepiest Ted Bundy Quotes

myshame

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:14 pm

and tv shows like Everyone Hates Chris referencing the event

I know Chris Rock made a joke about Columbine in his standup, but did that show reference anything about Columbine besides the trenchcoat?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dahlia_rose

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:10 pm

and tv shows like Everyone Hates Chris referencing the event

I know Chris Rock made a joke about Columbine in his standup, but did that show reference anything about Columbine besides the trenchcoat?

I don't actually watch the show myself, but in the scene the character walks into school wearing almost the exact same attire as Dylan save for a do-rag instead of a baseball cap. It's since become a semi-famous meme and that's how I heard of it myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
afrrs

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:55 pm

i have a theory why :

1 - their background was a lot like a lot of kids during that years of sodomy , meaning that the jocks get to lose their virginity sooner than the '' other simpleton kids '' , and these were feeling like eric said '' rage building up inside '' .

2 - they both had a chance , they were relatively well raised and sometimes people wonder what if they didnt ...

3 - they went together on nbk .

4 - they were a little diferent from one another .

5 - they were cool , had style and they were white .

6 - its fun shooting at stuff ( not people or animals off course , maybe a pigeon or a black starling sometimes : / ) i have an high powered air rifle with scope ( image of my air rifle - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ) and sometimes i go practice shooting cans and bottles .

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:40 am

View user profile
myshame

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:23 pm

Columbine still gets clicks:

The only people in this case invoking Columbine seem to be law enforcement and the media. This was also a case of a female potential shooter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
myshame

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:38 pm

That being said, this planned shooting greatly resembles the Columbine massacre, with the pipe bombs and shotgun.

I wonder if even reports of imminent threats would have been taken as seriously before the Columbine massacre ever happened. Would reading your child's journal be enough?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sscc
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:28 pm

I didn't know where to post this but I wanted to ask and this seems like a decent place to mention it. I was looking at the old CNN Columbine coverage earlier today and when I went to my browsing history to access the page again, it was unavailable. All the other Columbine pages, including the overviews and the timeline diagrams, seem to have been removed, too.

Here is one link, for an example of the pages I'm talking about, but as of several hours ago it's all gone, as far as I can tell.

Am I the only one who can't access this information or is it really gone? Could they be updating or revising it or have they randomly removed it after 17 years?

Last edited by sscc on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
myshame

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:29 pm

That link does nothing for me as well. Maybe it's a site upgrade that did it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:07 pm

You can always use this as well:

I do have a pdf of the Final Report if necessary anytime if that site gets removed.

myshame

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:50 am

ABC National News video says that the journals in the Maryland incident mention the Columbine massacre, but no other news source says that. Exclusive detail or poor reporting?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
myshame

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:53 pm

I found a story on the thwarted Maryland shooting that reads:

Quote :
The high school senior's diary also mentioned the 1999 Columbine, Colorado, high school shooting and the 2012 Newton, Connecticut, elementary school shooting, Frederick County Sheriff Charles Jenkins told ABC News.

So I guess this is a case of a potential Columbine copycat. ABC News pushes the Columbine copycat story hard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
myshame

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:07 pm

If a failed plot gets this much national media attention, that just sets the stage for other perpetrators to kill people.

I'm in the Roger Ebert/Marilyn Manson camp on this, even if I have a morbid fascination with Columbine.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sscc
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:15 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thanks for confirming that it wasn't just me.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thanks for the suggestion. I know that with the archives, the information will be preserved but I wondered why it would have have randomly disappeared after all these years if it wasn't just an update or site maintenance issue. It's actually back now so everything's peachy. Very Happy

myshame

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:54 am

Yet another Columbine headline:

Looks like they didn't make any public threats.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:14 pm

List of unsuccessful attacks related to schools

sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:04 pm

According to ABC News it is not uncommon for potential attackers to mention the Columbine School mass shooting.

In the last 17 years, 79 attacks have been prevented and more than half of the would-be attackers mentioned Columbine as they made their plans.

sscc
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:58 pm

This post contains some information about Columbine inspired attacks and thwarted attacks after Columbine where the attempted perpetrators referenced Columbine.

Here's a copy of the paper by Larkin where those tables were copied from.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ColumbineIsInterestingAF
Permanently Banned

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:46 pm

Dude, columbine happened in April 1999, the girl is 18 in march 2017, she obviously couldn't of been born after the massacre. You obviously didn't think this through.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sscc
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:18 am

Dude, columbine happened in April 1999, the girl is 18 in march 2017, she obviously couldn't of been born after the massacre. You obviously didn't think this through.
The story she was referring to when she said that was about a 15 year old in California but I also think being one year old when Columbine happened is essentially the same thing as being born after it happened.

myshame

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:00 pm

I didn't know where to post this but I wanted to ask and this seems like a decent place to mention it. I was looking at the old CNN Columbine coverage earlier today and when I went to my browsing history to access the page again, it was unavailable. All the other Columbine pages, including the overviews and the timeline diagrams, seem to have been removed, too.

Here is one link, for an example of the pages I'm talking about, but as of several hours ago it's all gone, as far as I can tell.

Am I the only one who can't access this information or is it really gone? Could they be updating or revising it or have they randomly removed it after 17 years?

Oh, hey! The link is back!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dahlia_rose

PostSubject: Re: Why is Columbine still relevant?   Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:25 pm

The most recent reference to the shooting is the popular song "Broccoli" by the so-called rapper D.R.A.M.

Song is bad but the pick-up line is on point. ;P Imagine someone trying to get your number by saying this:

hey lil' mama would you like to be my sunshine? / Nigga touch my gang we gon turn this shit to Columbine

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Why is Columbine still relevant?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next