Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
myshame

PostSubject: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:17 pm

Full news conference here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

From the sounds of it, this was one of the closest calls ever, next to the one prevented in Minnesota in 2014. However, in that past one, the suspect kept on delaying the attack, but authorities in this case say that there was no evidence of delays.

This planned attack seems to be modeled on the Columbine massacre, with a shotgun and pipe bombs. If we ever hear about internet activity of the suspect in Maryland, it will probably turn up things about Columbine.

Also of note is that the suspect is female.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:27 am

Her father informed the cops of her plans

More information about Nicole Cevario here:

Last edited by sororityalpha on Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Kiwik

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:08 am

My boyfriend is from that area and went to that high school (although he graduated 16 years ago). Apparently there's a pretty big opioid epidemic in that whole area...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draw_It_White
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:45 am

Very commendable from the parents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
myshame

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:48 am

ABC National News video says that the journals mention the Columbine massacre, but no other news source says that. Exclusive detail or poor reporting?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scarletmoon

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:57 am

From what I just read, she was planning a Columbine-like massacre...shocking. Correct me if I'm wrong but, wouldn't a Columbine-like shooting consist of 2 shooters? I'm really glad her father reported her. I find there's a lot more kids being caught lately.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draw_It_White
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:34 am

The policeman in the interview mentions it was going to be an attack similar to Columbine or Sandy Hook.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
myshame

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:49 pm

I found a different story that reads:

Quote :
The high school senior's diary also mentioned the 1999 Columbine, Colorado, high school shooting and the 2012 Newton, Connecticut, elementary school shooting, Frederick County Sheriff Charles Jenkins told ABC News.

So I guess this is a case of a potential Columbine copycat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sscc
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:50 pm

I would like to know what those references to Columbine and Newtown actually said. We might never find out since these thwarted attempts usually fall out of the news after the subject is arrested and very little information is released. However, they do seem to be pushing this one in the news quite a bit. I'm curious as to whether she praised them, identified with them, learned from them or hoped to outdo them. It's interesting that she mentioned Newtown because as far as I know, this case has not yet inspired or influenced any copycats. With those two shootings mentioned, I wonder if she was motivated by fame (or leaving a "legacy," considering that she was planning to die). Both of those cases, and especially the perpetrators themselves, were endlessly dissected by the media. Both of those cases also involved people who had extreme anti-society and even anti-humanity views. I wonder if that was relevant or if her interest was simply the fact that they were all successful murderers that she could use to guide her planning.

sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:10 pm

Cevario's journal was at the center of the sheriff's office's ongoing investigation as of Monday, Jenkins said. From the first entry, made Dec. 16, 2016, the diary hinted at violence, but the sheriff's office was still looking into whether any specific events prompted Cevario to begin planning the shooting, Jenkins said.

"Within this diary, we saw evidence of mental health issues, a number of emotional issues, the way she went out and found the means to purchase materials," Jenkins said. "... It was to create, basically to be a mass shooting type event. [There were] no specific names or targets."

The journal contained a detailed analysis of every stage of Cevario's plan and what she expected to encounter, including information she gathered from speaking with the school resource officer assigned to the school, Jenkins said.

"It was very clear to us that she had the means and materials to cause significant damage to herself, to the student body, to the facility up there at Catoctin High School. ... We felt this was going to be carried out. There was no doubt in our minds that we averted a disaster up there," Jenkins said.

"I've never seen anything like this, to be honest with you," Jenkins added.

Deputies also believe Cevario was intent on dying on April 5, the date specified in her journal for the shooting to occur, Jenkins said. There was no indication as to why Cevario had chosen April 5.

She was arrested/detained March 23 2016, 13 days before April 5th - the planned day of her attack.

She had a shotgun, fireworks, lighter fluid, pipes with end caps, nails, etc. but none of it was put together yet.

Could she have assembled everything she had and went through with her plan within 13 days?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
myshame

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:13 am

Sounds like the suspect wanted to be the first female school shooter. Fame-seeking, I guess. And now she's even getting a bit of recognition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:36 pm

Catoctin High School (CHS)

She wrote about the attacks at Columbine and Newtown and noted those were carried out by men.

She actually felt that there had not been a female mass shooter in a school and she was willing to be the first one. [note: Brenda Spencer opened fire at an elementary school in 1979]

Cevario had been under the care of a therapist/counselor before being apprehended on March 23.

The father went to the therapist/counselor with the information and the therapist/counselor told him to go to the police.

Holloka

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:30 am

Pic of Nicole
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

source (contains quite a bit of information): [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:12 pm

Thank you for the link [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Also here:

Kiwik

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:30 am

Here's an article that shows her mugshot and some details of what was written in her journal. Looks like she originally purchased the shotgun to commit suicide but later decided she wanted to shoot up the school first.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:42 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] can you post the article here because I cannot read the entire article without signing up.

Thank you

sscc
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:56 pm

Journal passages outline student's plan for mass shooting at Catoctin High School
By Jeremy Arias [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Passages from an 18-year-old Catoctin High School student’s journal outlined a chilling plan to become “the first real female school shooter,” according to charging documents filed Friday.

“By definition, a school shooter has to be attending the school they target at the time of the attack, and I haven’t found a single woman who has fulfilled that criteria,” the passage reads in part, according to documents outlining charges against Nicole Ann Cevario. “Guess it’s meant to be me. Yes, I know it’s meant to be me. This is what I’m supposed to do. Maybe not with my life, but with my death.”

Cevario was taken into custody at the school March 23 after her father found the journal and brought it to school earlier that same day, according to the documents.

The journal cited the Columbine High School attack and contained a receipt for a Remington 870 shotgun that Cevario had recently purchased from a sporting goods store. The shotgun was later found hidden in her bedroom closet, along with two boxes of ammunition and “explosive materials,” the sheriff’s office said.

Sheriff’s deputies formally charged Cevario, of the 100 block of Emmitsburg Road in Thurmont, at 9 a.m. Friday with the possession of explosive materials with the intent to create a destructive device and possession of incendiary material with the intent to create a destructive device, said Maj. Tim Clarke, a sheriff’s office spokesman.

In a hearing Friday afternoon, she was ordered held without bail by a Frederick County District Court judge, according to Clarke and online court records.

“She is currently at the detention center on no bond, awaiting an evaluation from the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene,” Clarke said.

Alan L. Winik, an attorney listed in online court records as representing Cevario, did not immediately return a call seeking comment Friday afternoon.

Three pipes with attached end caps, nails to be used as shrapnel, nuts and bolts, fluid, matches and a collection of fireworks and fuse materials were seized by deputies in a search of Cevario’s bedroom closets, the documents state.

School officials found magnesium tape and a copy of a book about the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in a search of Cevario’s backpack, the charging documents state.

Her journal indicated a detailed plot to commit a mass casualty attack on the school, an act Cevario admitted she planned when she was confronted by sheriff’s deputies upon her arrest March 23.

Included in her plan was a tactic to use lighter fluid as a diversion to give her time to plant the explosives, the documents state.

The attack was to be carried out April 5 and would ultimately end with Cevario taking her own life, according to interviews with the student and excerpts taken from her journal.

“... It just really hit me this afternoon,” Cevario wrote in one passage, according to the charging documents. “I realize [sic] I was going to die surrounded by people I hate in a building I hate.”

Cevario told deputies that the attack on the school was “plan b” and described her plan to kill herself with the shotgun she had purchased as her main plan, according to the documents.

Sheriff Chuck Jenkins has repeatedly stated his belief that Cevario intended to carry out the attack.

The journal contained a detailed plan based on what Cevario expected to encounter inside the school, along with a “to do” list and updates on her plans to carry out an attack.

Cevario, who was also enrolled in the law enforcement program at the school system’s Career and Technology Center, also described several conversations she had with the school resource officer assigned to Catoctin, according to the documents.

Cevario said she approached the officer “under the ruse” of requesting information for a school project, the documents state.

The diary entries hinted at some type of violence planned against the school as of its first entry in December of last year, but no specific targets were named and deputies could not identify what motivated Cevario to start planning.

No one answered a call to Cevario’s home. The call went straight to voice mail, and the mailbox was full.

The sheriff’s office initially spelled Cevario’s first name as “Nichole” in a press release this week, but corrected the spelling in an update on Friday

H311ish.B3ast

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:47 pm

Wow!! Glad that was averted!! Sounds to me that the girl has a host of mental problems and was probably trying to become infamous. SMDH. Rolling Eyes And people wonder why there are people like us here on the forum. If nobody took another look at all of these cases after the dust settled, then we couldn't learn from it and in some instances gather more evidence and more. Cheers to knowledge!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:56 pm

She had one of these books in her backpack:

Frederick, Maryland Residence

Quote :
Cevario told deputies that the attack on the school was “plan b” and described her plan to kill herself with the shotgun she had purchased as her main plan, according to the documents.

Interesting, how she states suicide was her main plan, attacking the school as 'plan b'. hmmm

I hope they release her complete diary so we can see what she wrote exactly from December 16 2016 to March 2017.

Kiwik

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:04 pm

sororityalpha wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] can you post the article here because I cannot read the entire article without signing up.

Thank you

Ahh sorry about that, I didn't realize you had to sign up! I found the link on social media and it didn't make me sign up to read it. Thanks [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for copying the article!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scarletmoon

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:10 am

This kid was not kidding, I truly believe she would have gone with her "plan b" . I hate seeing kids struggle so much with mental illness, it seems to be getting worse by the year. I wish they were more inclined to seek help. Bravo to the parents for not wasting a second by bringing it straight to the school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:06 pm

Parents, residents preach forgiveness on day that was part of Catoctin High School shooting threat

On the day a Catoctin High School student was threatening, authorities say, to commit a mass shooting against her classmates and teachers, a group of parents met to show support for the school.

At least 50 parents and residents — including Thurmont Mayor John Kinnaird and Board of Education President Brad Young — gathered in front of the school at 6:45 a.m. Wednesday to pray as students and buses began to arrive.

After all the attention the school received when 18-year-old Nicole Ann Cevario was arrested during class March 23 and the details of her alleged plot were released by the sheriff’s office March 27, Dana Randall, a parent, said she felt compelled to spread a positive message.

“This was a traumatic thing that our kids will remember their whole lives, but the one thing that I want them to remember is ... that their parents love them, pastors came out to support them and we were just here to pray for them,” Randall said Wednesday.

Beginning with a Facebook message posted just before 7 p.m. Monday, Randall’s idea to hold a prayer event quickly gathered steam thanks to her sisters, Kelly Leib and Nicole Lyons, and others picking up the thread.

Along with promoting support for the school and students, many of those present at Wednesday’s event also advocated the need to forgive Cevario.

“Even though this girl set out to do harm and she clearly said in her journal that she hated these people, we are taught to forgive,” Lyons said. “And we want our kids to see that we can, through God and his help, forgive. That it is possible to take this hatred that some people have and turn it around and forgive.”

Cevario’s journal and interviews she had with sheriff’s deputies outlined in charging documents revealed a vastly different plan for how Wednesday was to unfold.

An honor student who was enrolled in the school system’s Career and Technology Center’s law enforcement program, Cevario purchased a hunting-style shotgun, two boxes of ammunition and various materials for crafting pipe bombs, according to the documents.

“I want to be the first real female school shooter,” Cevario wrote in her journal, the documents state. “... I know it’s meant to be me. This is what I’m supposed to do. Maybe not with my life, but with my death.”

Randall and others said Cevario clearly needed help and counseling. She and her sisters pointed out that Cevario’s father uncovered her plot and alerted school officials.

Support for the Cevario family, particularly her parents, has been widespread after a news conference held March 27 by the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office detailing Nicole Cevario’s arrest and her father’s role in helping authorities halt her plans.

Several parents brought up the alleged plot in comments before the Frederick County PTA Council’s most recent regular meeting, held a few hours after the sheriff’s office’s press conference, Kyle Bostian, the council’s second vice president, wrote in an email statement.

“The general theme[s] of parents’ comments were thankfulness to the parent involved and concern for the well-being of all of the students at Catoctin, including this young woman,” Bostian said in his statement.

Young discussed his personal connection to the Cevario family after Wednesday’s prayer gathering, saying he graduated from Gov. Thomas Johnson High School in the same class as Michael Cevario, Nicole Cevario’s father.

“I feel for Mike and what his family is going through,” Young said.

The school system welcomed the prayer gathering when it was contacted earlier this week, said Michael Doerrer, a spokesman for Frederick County Public Schools.

Recognizing the concerns of students, staff and parents, the school system worked with the sheriff’s office on an added police presence at Catoctin High School on Wednesday, Doerrer said.

Wednesday was the day that Nicole Cevario mentioned in her journal in her plans for the shooting. She expected to die that day, too.

Counselors were on hand at the school Wednesday to meet with students, but no students used them, Doerrer said.

“There is definitely extra security at the school today,” Doerrer said Wednesday. “And that presence is not there because the school isn’t safe. The school is certainly safe. That extra presence is simply to reassure the students and the community.”

Even so, the school’s attendance on Wednesday dipped to its lowest level so far this year, about 76.8 percent, Doerrer said. Catoctin High School typically has about 95 percent attendance, Doerrer said.

Randall said she heard rumors from her son that many students were reluctant to attend Wednesday, because of Cevario’s plans for the date.

“I said, ‘That’s not an option. You’re going to school,’” Randall said after Wednesday’s gathering. “But it wasn’t just him, it was all his friends. They didn’t want to go to school today. And that’s not the answer.”

Many parents were more circumspect.

“I was in between, so I left it up to them,” said Eliza Hunt, who has three children enrolled at Catoctin. “I asked them if they felt safe. My two younger kids said that they did, so they went, but my senior, Trisha, was still a little leery, so she stayed home.”

Hunt, who kept all three of her children home from school March 28 after details were first publicized regarding Cevario’s alleged plot, said she was comforted by news of increased security at the school.

“My younger daughter told me when she got to school, she said, ‘Mom, there are so many police cars here, you wouldn’t believe it,’ so that made me feel a lot better,” Hunt said.

myshame

PostSubject: Re: Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented   Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:12 am

sororityalpha wrote:
Parents, residents preach forgiveness on day that was part of Catoctin High School shooting threat

Jeez. This is the first I've heard of a vigil for an attack that didn't happen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Catoctin High School Shooting Prevented
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1