Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:10 pm

myshame

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:30 pm

Kind of weird to see Sue Klebold tell the same story in so many places.

And it's really annoying to hear the clinking of silverware and the gasps from the crowd.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:23 pm

Some notes from the video:

* 6 suicides in one Fire Dept from effects of 4/20

* What she would have done differently before 4/20 is to ‘shut up and listen’ to Dylan more.

* She takes questions 29 minutes into the presentation.

*Personal therapy, medication, helped Sue move on. Depositions 2003 – anxiety disorder, panic attacks started. She got therapy, medication and it passed until 2 years later in 2005 when she started speaking publicly. She came through that. She understood what it was like to have a ‘malfunctioning mind’.

*Guns – greatest risk factor - 76% suicide with gun.

*Nobody should be surprised when shootings happen because people are human and we are all quite vunerable.

*Research shows that if kids are allowed to talk about suicide safely it helps them and it saves lives.

*When Sue wrote her book, Tom and Byron made her promise not to make their lives public. Most people who survive something horrible like Columbine do not want to be exposed, they don’t want to relive it, they don’t want to be associated with it.

*Marriage – lasted 43 years. Marriage ended in 2014. Tom and her are still friends.

*At 43:00, Sue takes a question from a guy who related to Dylan. Interesting to hear his story.

*Piece of advice that Sue recommends: Tell me something about yourself that no one understands but that causes you pain. Then the only thing you say is ‘tell me more’.

*1-800-273-8255 National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 24/7 answering service/online chat [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

*57:30 Question from someone who knew Sue/Tom and Byron from years ago.

H311ish.B3ast

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:01 pm

Thanks for sharing this. It was very interesting to listen to her talk about a few little things I had never heard before. Also, the dream she said she had about Dylan.... Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
myshame

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:04 pm

H311ish.B3ast wrote:
Thanks for sharing this.  It was very interesting to listen to her talk about a few little things I had never heard before.  Also, the dream she said she had about Dylan.... Shocked

I found Sue Klebold to be a bit offputting here. She was a bit too cheery at the beginning, and I don't think she realized how strange that dream was.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bubbles

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:55 am

sororityalpha wrote:
Some notes from the video:

* What she would have done differently before 4/20 is to ‘shut up and listen’ to Dylan more.

*Personal therapy, medication, helped Sue move on. Depositions 2003 – anxiety disorder, panic attacks started. She got therapy, medication and it passed until 2 years later in 2005 when she started speaking publicly. She came through that. She understood what it was like to have a ‘malfunctioning mind’.

*Nobody should be surprised when shootings happen because people are human and we are all quite vunerable.

*Research shows that if kids are allowed to talk about suicide safely it helps them and it saves lives.

*When Sue wrote her book, Tom and Byron made her promise not to make their lives public. Most people who survive something horrible like Columbine do not want to be exposed, they don’t want to relive it, they don’t want to be associated with it.

*Marriage – lasted 43 years. Marriage ended in 2014. Tom and her are still friends.

*At 43:00, Sue takes a question from a guy who related to Dylan. Interesting to hear his story.

*Piece of advice that Sue recommends: Tell me something about yourself that no one understands but that causes you pain. Then the only thing you say is ‘tell me more’.

*1-800-273-8255 National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 24/7 answering service/online chat [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thank you.

I've just started watching the vid (probably won't watch the entire thing today), but God that's cruel how Dylan even went to the length of putting on a performance and measuring his "would be" dorm room in front of Sue to "ensure he got the bigger dorm."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:32 am

You are welcome [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Draw_It_White
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:08 am

I watched this the other day and noted the suicides for the fire department linked to the case.

Makes you wonder what it looked like inside & how well those kids did not just to survive the incident but to come through having those scenes etched into their memory.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
JCoffey66

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:17 am

Hi All!

I have but one question. Will Sue Klebold be giving a contribution from the 'earnings' of her thoughts and words to the upkeep of the final resting places of those who died and mental health of the individuals who survived because of the heinous and selfish acts of her child??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
asloversgo

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:42 pm

Technically, yes. I teach mental health classes and her funds from the book go towards a grant so I get a small amount of money to teach them. All her book proceeds go to NAMI
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JCoffey66

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:29 am

Then I hereby apologise for my glib comment above. I was being judgemental. I am glad that the money is being used for something positive and I commend you for the work you are doing addressing the issue of mental health.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vodka_esc

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:39 pm

wow thanks!! Actually I feel so sad because of Sue, I mean all this years fighting against her son's past, people telling her cruel and mean comments.. and waking up every morning for the rest of her life with the 4/20/99 in her mind.. it's pretty hard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
starrwilliams

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:16 pm

I saw this video several months ago. It was very good and I commend Sue for donating her proceeds to mental health and trying to help others. People are so judgmental of her; it really makes me mad. Put yourself in her shoes. It was her SON, after all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
starrwilliams

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:20 pm

[quote="sororityalpha"]Some notes from the video:

I hated the clinking of the silverware and the servers interrupting the speech by coming in and picking up plates and glasses, etc. That was so rude! It made it hard to hear the end there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ainjel

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:13 am

Thank you Sororityalpha for posting this. I have mixed emotions about Sue Klebold. I feel sorry for her that she has to live with the decisions her son made and I feel like she is trying to make an honest attempt at making something positive out of the Columbine shooting. However, I also feel that she stills sees Dylan as a victim of his school environment, his possible mental illness and as being coerced by Eric. I don't think she has fully grasped the role that Dylan played in this event. Dylan after all was the first one to mention NBK. She mentions at one point that not only did Dylan participate in the killing of 13 people and wounding 24 others but six firemen also committed suicide after trying to cope with what they witnessed. She doesn't include the fact that there are others out there living with PTSD and possible other anxiety issues nor does she include all the people who look to Dylan and Eric as idols and want to copycat their plans. One of the most recent repercussions of Dylan's choices was the termination of Tom and Sues marriage. Sue admits there were signs she missed or just attributed to Dylan being a teenager but I think there were other signs she just chose to ignore. The report of Dylan being a bully, the whole locker incident, the b and e of the van, and finally the story that Dylan wrote were all signs that should have given her serious concerns. I appreciate what she is trying to do by bringing attention to mental illness and I understand that as a mother, no one wants to view their child as a sadistic predator. However, that is exactly what her son was on April 20. If he was indeed depressed or had serious anger issues he would have confronted those who caused him pain and I feel like he would have killed himself before Eric. Instead, I think he had a good time feeling like he had his "god like power" and when it came time for them to both die, Dylan hesitated. He claimed multiple times in his writings that he wants to kill himself yet always backed out. This was another time when he wanted to back out of killing himself but realized that he didn't have a choice because it was either kill him self or go to jail. So yes it's nice that she realizes her son caused a horrible tragedy and she's trying to bring some positivity to it but I think she should also take more culpability in his choices.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
STK

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:38 am

The families of the perpetrators suffer more than those of the victims, controversial a statement this may be. The families of the victims, while suffering a tremendous loss will, without fail, be (rightfully) given mountains of support and sympathy, and often times even monetary compensation. The attackers families? They suffer the exact same loss and emotional hardship as them, but they receive no sympathy or support. The parents will invariably be blamed "for raising a monster" by dipshits with no regard for silly things like "facts". If the shooter was underage, they may be forced to "pay monetary compensation ". Other relatives, if they aren't blamed too, will have their family name and legacy forever associated with the actions of a person they had no control of. The families of the victims are given free cards to act however they want (see Brian Rohrbpurgh), while the attackers families are forced to walk on eggshells to avoid being even more crucified by the "news".

I plan to live in a big, black hole. My firearms will be the only things to fight my isolation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anananana

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:14 pm

Ainjel wrote:
 However, I also feel that she stills sees Dylan as a victim of his school environment

But...he was... We *all* are (some of us more deeply than others).

Quote :
Sue admits there were signs she missed or just attributed to Dylan being a teenager but I think there were other signs she just chose to ignore.  

She has been described by others as a hands-on caring and great mother all in all, do you really think she'd "choose to ignore" big warning signs? Maybe she missed them, but he was actively lying and acting as normal as possible to not arouse suspicion. What about his father? He was at home every day, yet no one mentions him missing the warning signs. His brother? His other friends? Is it just all on her??

Quote :
 The report of Dylan being a bully, the whole locker incident, the b and e of the van, and finally the story that Dylan wrote were all signs that should have given her serious concerns.  

They were grounded and separated for a while, they did their probation time and passed with flying colors. What else is a parent supposed to do? What would you have done?

Quote :
If he was indeed depressed or had serious anger issues he would have confronted those who caused him pain and I feel like he would have killed himself before Eric.  

You are just basing this on flawed assumptions and the worst part is thinking "oh if they were *really* depressed they would do such and such". Sounds like you don't understand how depression actually works.

Quote :
when it came time for them to both die, Dylan hesitated....This was another time when he wanted to back out of killing himself but realized that he didn't have a choice because it was either kill him self or go to jail.   

How do you know this? Where is the proof? Were you in the library with him hearing his thought process?

Quote :
 He claimed multiple times in his writings that he wants to kill himself yet always backed out. 

This is how depression works. You feel suicidal a lot of the time but it doesn't mean you actively try to kill yourself every single time you think of it.

Quote :
 So yes it's nice that she realizes her son caused a horrible tragedy and she's trying to bring some positivity to it but I think she should also take more culpability in his choices.  

While I respect your opinions, I think they are founded on wrong assumptions. She is taking culpability in his choices, what do you want her to do to prove how sorry she is, kill herself?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ainjel

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:22 pm

Wow I'm not sure how to respond...this was just my opinion. I never once said "experts said" or "witnesses saw"... My statement that you took out of context states that I felt like he would have killed himself before Eric. And all of the reports indicate that Eric died before Dylan. I would never wish Sue Klebold would kill herself. I'm sure she has a hard enough life, as illustrated by her dream. However, I feel (my opinion) that she needs to realize Dylan was an equal partner and equally responsible for the deaths and injuries at Columbine as well as other deaths or events that were directly a result of her sons actions. Your right that Dylan had done his time for his actions but he also once asked Sue for help in avoiding Eric. That would have been cause for concern for me. The paper that Dylan wrote also would have gotten my attention. I would have wanted to press further about why or what thoughts were behind this paper. Perhaps I could have worded some of my statements better but again I was just posting my opinion.

One other thing, perhaps I don't know as much about depression as some others but I am always willing to learn. That is one of the attractions of studying Columbine is to learn and understand differences in human behavior. And I thought that was the purpose of this forum to get new and different opinions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PaintItBlack
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:36 am

This won't play for me. Could someone please give me a summary of the strange dream Sue had? You don't have to tell me word for word if you don't want to; a summary would be great.

Thank you.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:47 pm

SK said in her dream she was in a white police van and she said Dylan as a toddler, age 4 or so with another little boy. They were chasing after the van and the police officer got out and put the kids in the dumpster and locked the door. Dylan got out and chased the van some more. She finally pulled him in safely and he had these marks on him, almost like things sticking out of his body and she was trying to fix him and he said to her "you can't help me, it hurts too much and there is nothing you can do"

She does seem to have a lot of dreams with Dylan having wounds on his body or bleeding.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:06 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
SK said in her dream she was in a white police van and she said Dylan as a toddler, age 4 or so with another little boy. They were chasing after the van and the police officer got out and put the kids in the dumpster and locked the door. Dylan got out and chased the van some more. She finally pulled him in safely and he had these marks on him, almost like things sticking out of his body and she was trying to fix him and he said to her "you can't help me, it hurts too much and there is nothing you can do"

She does seem to have a lot of dreams with Dylan having wounds on his body or bleeding.

I agree. Her dreams/nightmares are mostly depicting Dylan as being harmed in someway and Sue is powerless to help him. These dreams about Dylan are likely manifestations of her extreme sense of guilt. Very sad. Sad

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
                                                                                         -Friedrich Nietzsche

I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other.
               -Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:23 pm

sororityalpha wrote:

This is the first time I've ever heard of this. How many suicides happened as a result of Columbine? Does anyone have statistics? The only ones I heard of were The mother whose child was crippled by the shooting and a student who killed himself because one of their friends was a victim.

Last edited by QuestionMark on Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PaintItBlack
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017   Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:13 am

Thank you [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] .

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Reaching for Hope - Sue Klebold - Feb 16 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1