Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Mental Health Awareness after Columbine

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
myshame
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Mental Health Awareness after Columbine   Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:44 pm

As I look up old op-eds, there seems to less of a question of outside influence on the two killers. Violent society, violent movies, violent video games, violent music, Hitler, even the US govt, etc...

Very few ask the question of if there was something uniquely wrong with the two killers. As Chris Rock said, "What ever happened to crazy?"

Fortunately, I think taking care of "crazy" improved a lot after Columbine, even if people didn't see it that way at the time. Yes, mass shootings happen, but people see it as the result of a mental state now.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Mental Health Awareness after Columbine   Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:52 pm

Nature vs. Nurture etc.

The diathesis-stress model also may explain people's actions/reactions.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

*I personally believe that some mass shootings happen simply because the shooter wants to be infamous and has nothing to do with stress/environment/etc.

Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Mental Health Awareness after Columbine   Yesterday at 9:10 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Nature vs. Nurture etc.

The diathesis-stress model also may explain people's actions/reactions.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

*I personally believe that some mass shootings happen simply because the shooter wants to be infamous and has nothing to do with stress/environment/etc.

I believe the fame motive is a big one, but only someone with mental illness would go through with it.
Back to top Go down

Mental Health Awareness after Columbine
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1