Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Unabomber

Go down 
+3
QuestionMark
SaucyJimmy
suburbanmessiah
7 posters
AuthorMessage
suburbanmessiah

suburbanmessiah

Contribution Points : 67953
Forum Reputation : 25

The Unabomber Empty
PostSubject: The Unabomber   The Unabomber Icon_minitimeWed May 03, 2017 6:57 pm

Here's one you don't hear too much about anymore. I was just thinking of him the other day because I found his manifesto was posted on archive.org. I'm just flipping through it now. Definitely an incredibly smart guy, though he does go a bit off the rails at times.

He was turned in to the authorities by his younger brother who recognized his writing style when the manifesto was released publicly. If you were in that position, do you think you would turn in a sibling--or a parent?

SaucyJimmy

Contribution Points : 63672
Forum Reputation : 25

The Unabomber Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Unabomber   The Unabomber Icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2017 7:23 am

-

Last edited by SaucyJimmy on Thu May 07, 2020 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

The Unabomber Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Unabomber   The Unabomber Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2020 9:33 pm

Back to top Go down

The Unabomber Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Unabomber   The Unabomber Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 10:22 pm

N/A

Last edited by Burn on Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119628
Forum Reputation : 3191

The Unabomber Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Unabomber   The Unabomber Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2020 1:37 am

I like how honest he is at several points. This quote in particular catches my interest:
"My motive for doing what I am going to do is simply personal revenge. I do not expect to accomplish anything by it. Of course, if my crime (and my reasons for committing it) gets any public attention, it may help to stimulate public interest in the technology question and thereby improve the chances of stopping technology before it is too late; but on the other hand most people will probably be repelled by my crime, and the opponents of freedom may use it as a weapon to support their arguments for control over human behavior. I have no way of knowing whether my action will do more good than harm. I certainly don't claim to be an altruist or to be acting for the 'good' (whatever that is) of the human race. I act merely from a desire for revenge."

It's a nihilistic admission that his crimes will get him nowhere and earn him nothing, but that he wants to do it anyway, and I just find that level of self-insight fascinating.

f0rgotten likes this post

Back to top Go down

The Unabomber Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Unabomber   The Unabomber Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2020 4:05 pm

Back to top Go down
Mirwais500

Mirwais500

Contribution Points : 58438
Forum Reputation : 12

The Unabomber Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Unabomber   The Unabomber Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2020 3:42 am

Burn wrote:
What do you guys think about Manhunt: Unabomber? It was entertaining to see.

It was a great show, definitely entertaining and it looks like it was accurate. Ted Kaczynski himself hasn't watched it but he said it was probably bullshit
Back to top Go down

The Unabomber Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Unabomber   The Unabomber Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2020 4:13 pm

Mirwais500 wrote:
Burn wrote:

It was a great show, definitely entertaining and it looks like it was accurate. Ted Kaczynski himself hasn't watched it but he said it was probably bullshit

Well, IS it?
Back to top Go down
Mirwais500

Mirwais500

Contribution Points : 58438
Forum Reputation : 12

The Unabomber Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Unabomber   The Unabomber Icon_minitimeSat Feb 29, 2020 3:49 am

TheOne99 wrote:
Mirwais500 wrote:
Burn wrote:

Well, IS it?

The whole show is based around James Fitzgerald meeting and trying to outsmart Ted Kaczynski, but they never actually met each other until Ted was convicted so a big part of it is fictional. But the real life Fitzgerald worked on the show with them so it has to be pretty accurate regardless. So it's as least bullshit as it can be while also being entertaining
Back to top Go down
cakeman

cakeman

Contribution Points : 79172
Forum Reputation : 1491

The Unabomber Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Unabomber   The Unabomber Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2020 8:45 pm

The sections "Oversocialization" and "Feelings of Inferiority" are legendary.
Back to top Go down
downwardspiral

downwardspiral

Contribution Points : 40200
Forum Reputation : 306

The Unabomber Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Unabomber   The Unabomber Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2020 3:31 am

Burn wrote:

I didn't see this one but my husband and I watched part of Unabomber: In His Own Words. Which is a documentary series about him and includes audio excerpts from the only interview he has ever done.

TBH I was very unimpressed by his whole manifesto thing. Apparently many people find it to be philosophically compelling, but both of us thought it was some real "I'm 14 and this is deep" material. He may be a math genius but ideologically, he's basic af.

He also has a pretty comical sounding voice, which we were not expecting. He sounds like a member of Alvin and the Chipmunks except with a strong Midwestern accent. That probably contributed at least somewhat to his rage at society, I'm guessing.

Interestingly enough, the documentary seemed straight out of the 90s aesthetically speaking, complete with truly terrible quality animations and everything. I'm not sure if that was intentional as Netflix tries to bank on nostalgia a lot and people look back on true crime shows of the 90s fondly.

Anyway overall I recommend the series.

Also sidenote. We were curious how he used the bathroom in his cabin so we looked it up. Apparently he dug a giant pit in the floor of the cabin, not even outside, and just went in there. WTF.
Back to top Go down

The Unabomber Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Unabomber   The Unabomber Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 4:36 pm

He is definitely a smart man who was abused and taken advantage of. A few months ago when the corona virus situation was starting to blow up a few Green Anarchists/Primitivists were talking about freeing him. Talk of that abruptly stopped, but in a place like ADX Florence they shouldn't expect any of the inmates, especially the older ones to survive a wide-spreading pandemic. At least he's still alive. His manifesto can be found here, too: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] It is quite memorable.

Last edited by badjunk on Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

The Unabomber Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Unabomber   The Unabomber Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 5:09 pm

N/A

Last edited by Burn on Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

The Unabomber Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Unabomber   The Unabomber Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 5:32 pm

Burn wrote:
badjunk wrote:
He is definitely a smart man who was abused and taken advantage of. A few months ago when the corona virus situation was starting to blow up a few Green Anarchists/Primitives were talking about freeing him. Talk of that abruptly stopped, but in a place like ADX Florence they shouldn't expect any of the inmates, especially the older ones to survive a wide-spreading pandemic. At least he's still alive. His manifesto can be found here, too: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] It is quite memorable.

Without a doubt, his manifesto is a must-read for anyone who wants to challenge the orthodoxy and corruption of the techno-industrial system. Quite memorable.

Agreed, he makes several good points that all could be applied and quoted to current events. It is disappointing how he was not listened to, and the world is a big fat mess, just how it was if not more, than when he wrote his manifesto.
Back to top Go down
Rosie1756

Rosie1756

Contribution Points : 14996
Forum Reputation : 227

The Unabomber Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Unabomber   The Unabomber Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2022 12:56 am

It's amazing how The Unabomber managed to build all his devices in a shed in the middle of a forest with no electricity or running water, and that he got away with it for so long.

You almost have to admire his skills.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Unabomber Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Unabomber   The Unabomber Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Unabomber
Page 1 of 1