Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum

Go down 
+7
Lizpuff
shades
LPorter101
Nirvana92
sororityalpha
Jenn
queenfarooq
11 posters
AuthorMessage
queenfarooq

Contribution Points : 101662
Forum Reputation : 10

Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Empty
PostSubject: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2013 11:07 am

As we all know Eric had the medical condition Pectus Excavatum. A quick check on Wikipedia mentioned this condition can either be present at birth or develop during puberty, upon reading Eric's medical records P.E is described as a birth defect so it would seem he was born with this condition. Someone on SBB posted a link to this blog: http://mysweetpectus.wordpress.com/ It details a guys journey through P.E surgery, the links underneath the main header focus on the guys surgery and recovery process. There's a huge amount of information on this blog. If whoever posted this link originally is on here thank you in advance.

Erics medical files indicate he underwent the following procedures:

11/15/93: Evaluation for surgery for P.E.
12/03/93: Evaluation for surgery for P.E.
12/16/93: Surgical correction of Pectus Excavatum.
01/07/94: Evaluation of post op P.E.
04/29/94: Evaluation of post op P.E.
06/09/94: Removal of steel strut surgery P.E.
06/17/94: Review of removal of steel strut post op P.E.

pg(10094 -10096) 

Brooks Brown describes Erics chest deformity as not that noticeable and only sunken in a bit in NEA. 
I was going to post this in the Misc section as I wasn't sure if it was considered as 'related to the shooting,' however if we believe Brooks Browns statement in NEA, that when Eric took his shirt off in P.E class the bullies would mock him. It somewhat supports the side of the debate that bullying was a contributing factor that caused Columbine.

Last edited by queenfarooq on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : rearranging dates)
Back to top Go down
Jenn
Forum & Discord Server Owner
Jenn

Contribution Points : 118045
Forum Reputation : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2013 11:40 am

Anything related to Columbine, Dylan, Eric, the victims, etc. Please post in the 'shooting' section. 'Miscellaneous' is for everything else not Columbine related.

Back to top Go down
queenfarooq

Contribution Points : 101662
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2013 11:57 am

Jenn wrote:
Anything related to Columbine, Dylan, Eric, the victims, etc. Please post in the 'shooting' section. 'Miscellaneous' is for everything else not Columbine related.

Thank you, I thought this was more than likely the case.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

Contribution Points : 121563
Forum Reputation : 1001

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2015 11:32 pm

16 months after bar removal looks pretty good:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Eric had the surgery when he was 12/13 ... so if he healed like the guy above I'm sure it wouldn't be that noticeable.
Back to top Go down
Nirvana92

Nirvana92

Contribution Points : 82489
Forum Reputation : 80

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2015 3:48 am

sororityalpha wrote:
16 months after bar removal looks pretty good:

Eric had the surgery when he was 12/13 ... so if he healed like the guy above I'm sure it wouldn't be that noticeable.

It really is on a case by case basis like every other medical procedure. We know Eric was reluctant to take his shirt off in gym because of his indent. Im not sure whether the reluctance was due to past bullying or simply him just trying to avoid any future incidents. From the way I've heard it described it was most definitely noticeable to some degree.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2015 12:54 pm

Maybe he was concerned with the scar that was left on his chest from the surgery ...

Where did you hear that is definitely noticeable to some degree ?
Back to top Go down
Nirvana92

Nirvana92

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2015 11:00 pm

sororityalpha wrote:
Maybe he was concerned with the scar that was left on his chest from the surgery ...

Where did you hear that is definitely noticeable to some degree ?

Brooks Brown said that although he had surgery it was still noticeable enough that he was picked on in gym because of it. Like you said there would most likely be some scarring too, and even that may have been enough to make Eric hide his chest.
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2015 11:53 pm

Nirvana92 wrote:
Brooks Brown said that although he had surgery it was still noticeable enough that he was picked on in gym because of it.

I could not locate that info from Brooks book. Can you tell me where you saw/heard this please?
Back to top Go down
LPorter101
Top 10 Contributor
LPorter101

Contribution Points : 147950
Forum Reputation : 2502

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2015 1:02 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2015 1:29 am

Page 48 of No Easy Answers

Thank you
Back to top Go down
sororityalpha
Top 10 Contributor
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2015 3:14 am

Eric appeared shirtless in the basement tapes.

Last edited by sororityalpha on Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nirvana92

Nirvana92

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2015 3:17 am

sororityalpha wrote:
Eric also appeared shirtless when playing a mummy for class.

And, in the basement tapes.

Having his shirt off in front of his whole class was a pretty bold move if he really was that embarrassed. It may have just been a gym class thing though. Combine that with his height and smaller build and he probably got a lot of shit from the jocks.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

Contribution Points : 79011
Forum Reputation : 38

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 6:37 am

Do you think this issue that he had caused him to be insecure by default and he worried perhaps forever? It made him feel abnormal and ashamed maybe and no female would react kindly or accepting if they saw him bare. Poor guy, if he couldn't somehow appreciate his condition and worked through life with it and it constantly made him feel different it would explain his self-loathe which then resulted in lashing out at others.

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 7:44 am

Oddly enough I have this same condition and it is literally compressing my heart into my spine. The strange thing? You can't tell from looking, although the difference here is I have boobs lol!
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 95449
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 9:04 am

Tomb wrote:
Oddly enough I have this same condition and it is literally compressing my heart into my spine. The strange thing? You can't tell from looking, although the difference here is I have boobs lol!

LOL

I don't know how visible the indent was, but he probably was picked on for it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 9:10 am

Lizpuff wrote:
Tomb wrote:

LOL  

Sadly, I'm sure he was. The defect is much more prominent on a male in most cases. From what I've been told it's a painful surgery to correct, so I haven't given much thought to looking into it. Right now I have enough medical problems.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 9:15 am

Tomb wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:
Tomb wrote:

LOL  

Sadly, I'm sure he was. The defect is much more prominent on a male in most cases. From what I've been told it's a painful surgery to correct, so I haven't given much thought to looking into it. Right now I have enough medical problems.

Is it something that is dangerous for you? Like do you need to have surgery for it? OT sorry...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 9:39 am

My last CT scan revealed the compression of my heart between my sternum and spine and also showed my heart to be enlarged. Mr dr offered to refer me to a cardio thoracic surgeon and I declined for now. I have a long list of chronic medical conditions, courtesy of really bad genes. Thanks mom and dad lol!
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 9:46 am

Tomb wrote:
My last CT scan revealed the compression of my heart between my sternum and spine and also showed my heart to be enlarged. Mr dr offered to refer me to a cardio thoracic surgeon and I declined for now. I have a long list of chronic medical conditions, courtesy of really bad genes. Thanks mom and dad lol!

Wow. I hope everything turns out well for you!

It sounds at least like both Eric and Dylan had great medical. At least they didnt have to worry about that in their lives. It sounds like Eric's PE could have been a lot worse had he not gotten it corrected.
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 9:48 am

It would be pretty dope if Eric rocked the PE he had and made everyone thought it was cool so he wouldn't feel so insecure about it. But yet he had flaunt it infront of the class so I can't even say he was fearful. I just wondered whether this condition played as a factor to him hating himself.

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 9:53 am

And there was also something wrong with his leg. Not sure what...but some kind of congenital thing too I believe?

Reb wouldn't have any sort of congenital issues would he. He would be strong from birth and wouldn't need any dr or surgeries....

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 9:56 am

Does he mention any of this in his journal? I can't recall.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 9:58 am

Tomb wrote:
Does he mention any of this in his journal? I can't recall.

He def mentions hating things about himself but Iirc he never mentions PE specifically
Back to top Go down
shades

shades

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 10:12 am

Yeah he never mentioned the PE specifically but he did a school report or a journal entry I think and it was something about losses..?things he lost, and he brought up the surgery he did and something about his heart and things don't use to work right or something.... Gosh I can't remember or find it, I don't make sense now

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 11:55 am

I just did a post on the autopsies (specifically Rohrbough's) and Eric's pectus excavatum was described as mild. Of course this was after he had it corrected after surgery.
Back to top Go down
Freezingmoon

Freezingmoon

Contribution Points : 76770
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 12:49 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
And there was also something wrong with his leg.  Not sure what...but some kind of congenital thing too I believe?

Reb wouldn't have any sort of congenital issues would he.  He would be strong from birth and wouldn't need any dr or surgeries....

I wonder what's wrong with his leg as well.  I haven't been able to find any detailed info about this.  I suppose that whatever it was, it was the reason he walked slightly bow-legged. I wonder if his PE is the reason he looked very slightly hunch-backed when he stood.....or maybe he just had bad posture.  It wasn't severe.....just slightly noticeable in some of the videos I've seen.
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 1:19 pm

Freezingmoon wrote:
Lizpuff wrote:
And there was also something wrong with his leg.  Not sure what...but some kind of congenital thing too I believe?

Reb wouldn't have any sort of congenital issues would he.  He would be strong from birth and wouldn't need any dr or surgeries....

I wonder what's wrong with his leg as well.  I haven't been able to find any detailed info about this.  I suppose that whatever it was, it was the reason he walked slightly bow-legged. I wonder if his PE is the reason he looked very slightly hunch-backed when he stood.....or maybe he just had bad posture.  It wasn't severe.....just slightly noticeable in some of the videos I've seen.

Another one of the mysteries we will probably never know
Back to top Go down
PaintItBlack

PaintItBlack

Contribution Points : 95841
Forum Reputation : 52

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 10:49 pm

Tomb wrote:

That sounds like it could be serious Tomb.Maybe you shouldn't wait to have it taken care of.

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus; That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.-Charles Bukowski
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 7:39 am

Thanks for the concern. I go back soon for another CT of my chest and will see what's going on. Right now I'm waiting to have surgery on my left Achilles and then my right knee. Lol I'm stumbling around like I'm drunk. I don't even know how many times I've fallen now since both have started going bad.
Back to top Go down
Grayscale

Contribution Points : 81657
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 8:14 pm

I actually had the opposite deformity in Pectus Carinatum. It's when your sternum protrudes. As a kid I don't remember getting made fun of too bad but I was extremely self conscience. It was a huge blow to my self esteem and was probably the original cause for my anxiety. I was definitely afraid to take off my shirt and it obviously made things like participating in sports or even swimming very difficult or nearly impossible. I missed out on a lot because of fear.

I got the surgery done when I was 12 years old and to this day, it was the worst pain I've ever experience. When awoke from the anesthesia, I honestly thought I was dying. It was beyond awful for a good 3 months. Whenever I would sneeze or cough, I would be writhing in agony.

I remember I shared a hospital room with a 17 year old kid who had Pectus Excavatum surgery the same time as me. He was only in for two days, whereas I was in for a week or so. The first day he was screaming and cursing at the nurses for more pain meds, the second day he was ready to leave and go to a party. That just goes it does affect people differently.

Strangely, I may have somehow developed PE myself (if that's even possible.) I have a bit of sunken chest ever since that is really noticeable to others when I'm wearing tighter shirts. I know they say you should bench press to build it back up and I haven't really done that (actually, now that I think of it, that maybe why Eric was still embarrassed post surgery) but I'm 26 now, why hasn't it filled out yet?! When I put my hand on my chest, the palm fits perfectly in the indent. Sucks.

For and honest day or two
Back to top Go down
Kiwik

Kiwik

Contribution Points : 73451
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 11:02 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] my boyfriend also has the opposite deformity. His isn't really that noticeable though. Apparently when he was a kid, his parents sent him to a specialist or something and They got a bunch of xrays done but they didn't think it would effect his overall health so he never had the surgery.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum   Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eric's medical condition: Pectus Excavatum
Page 1 of 1