Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Eric Harris style inspo??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dahlia_rose

PostSubject: Eric Harris style inspo??    Wed May 10, 2017 12:40 am

Okay so, for starters, I apologize if this has been mentioned or covered before long ago.

Some background: In recent months I have developed an interest in the goth subculture. It kinda just happened. First YT recommended the channel of a girl called Black Friday, and from there I discovered other YouTubers like Snowy Lowther and Angela Benedict and the music and aesthetic just swept me off my feet. One day I was browsing through gothic videos and I came across one that I found very interesting. Angela Benedict posted a video about her first gothic crush and his name was John Koviak. The first thing I noticed...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

He's nearly the splitting image of Eric Harris!

So here's the thing... In the late 80s and throughout the 90s there was a gothic magazine called Propaganda that featured models like Koviak. It passed through my head that maybe Eric could have come across these magazines in a record store or another shop that specialized in alternative media, though obviously I have no hard evidence. But the suspenders and the Nazi apparel really sold me the idea that he MAY have styled himself after John Koviak.

Check this out:

Of course you don't have to watch the whole thing, but it's pretty entertaining. At 3:26 he looks JUST LIKE ERIC in profile with the cigarette, after having just shot someone... lol. I'd love to know what you guys think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draw_It_White
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris style inspo??    Wed May 10, 2017 1:28 am

A slight resemblance in the video at the time you pointed out. I don't see it in the pictures you posted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dahlia_rose

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris style inspo??    Wed May 10, 2017 9:43 am

Maybe I read a little too much into his strong nose, lips and petite body frame, but to me the resemblance is uncanny. I might not have picked the best pictures either, but I see Eric in almost every one of John Koviak. It could be the makeup that's throwing you off.

Funny thing is, not only does John dress up as an SS Officer in one of the short films, he kills himself after the end of the one of the clips.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSpiral
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris style inspo??    Wed May 10, 2017 1:52 pm

Those short videos are pretty weird, I like em!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dahlia_rose

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris style inspo??    Wed May 10, 2017 2:24 pm

Glad you enjoyed them [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], thanks for your response.

They have that macabre, pulpy aesthetic I think E/D would have liked.

Am I also crazy for thinking that one of Merida's suitors from Brave looks like Dylan?? Rofl

I guess I'm the only one who connects the dots between weird things, haha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lunkhead McGrath

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris style inspo??    Thu May 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Lots of kids over the years have probably looked a lot like Eric, especially in the Midwest in the 90s.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dahlia_rose

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris style inspo??    Thu May 11, 2017 1:39 pm

@Lunkhead McGrath I guess you're right. I didn't see a whole lot of kids who looked like E/D growing up myself, since I'm in Pennsylvania and not the Midwest. I happen to be Puerto Rican and from the inner city so most of my childhood was spent growing up around other Latinos. Most of the Caucasian kids I knew leaned toward Polish and Irish in appearance rather than German or Jewish (which might be where those sharp, angular features come from? I dunno just making an inference). The common physical traits of people vary across regions in the US so I see what you mean.

I mentioned John Koviak in relation to Eric not only because of physical resemblance (in my opinion, anyway) but because Eric mentioned liking "goth music" in a questionnaire and it got me thinking. Goths in the 90s loved synth and industrial and Propaganda magazine promoted that very same music. The idea Eric may have been familiar with Propaganda or come across pictures of Koviak in his modeling days seemed a slight possibility to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidEr

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris style inspo??    Sun May 14, 2017 9:47 pm

I think he just looked like a typical 90s teen though, a lot of people dressed like that and both their hair styles were very current. I do no think they were goths, but a lot of that underground MTV style looks that people were going for at the time, wearing lots of black clothing. I've been watching a lot of 90s movies and a lot of the characters look like them, even in a lot of the movies the characters are wearing fingerless gloves, dusters and oval sunglasses. Not goths though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dahlia_rose

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris style inspo??    Sun May 14, 2017 10:05 pm

I agree with your assessment. You can see E/D's fashion choices echoed in 90s films & media like Blade, Terminator 2, and even Twin Peaks. I know E/D weren't goths, but I think it's pretty safe to say they liked aspects of the style. I would say they had an affinity for the color black and leather (even if they couldn't afford real leather). At any rate their dusters, fingerless gloves, suspenders, army boots, cargo pants, ect. were alternative, which draws from the subculture. The militia fashion they sported on 4/20 was heavily influenced by industrial music. Industrial was and still is considered a subset of goth, if not a spin-off of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidEr

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris style inspo??    Mon May 15, 2017 2:39 pm

Exactly, I think it was Chris Morris who started that style and the other copied (I think Eric copied Dylan to be honest). Brooks Brown called them a bunch of 'wannabe goth kids' so they did wear all those dark clothing and talk about dark and morbid things, and probably did take a lot of inspiration for their clothes from people like that, but were never tagged with any official group.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dahlia_rose

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris style inspo??    Mon May 15, 2017 8:00 pm

I forgot all about Chris Morris! I feel a little silly. You reminded me that the commando style passed down from Chris to Dylan to Eric. I'm not sure if Zach or any of their other friends dressed in a similar manner. I know Chris allegedly liked to wear a beret.

Didn't Mark Manes dress sorta alternative as well? I'm not sure. I thought I read somewhere that Chris copied his style or had similar music tastes to Mark or another student that already graduated by the time E/D were in high school.

I'm also curious to know if Eric was the only one in their circle that tucked his shirts in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vulnerableeyes

PostSubject: Re: Eric Harris style inspo??    Fri May 19, 2017 5:24 pm

Yes, he had a similar face in my opinion. But I also think Eric got his love for guns etc from his dad. As we know, he was in the military, so I think Eric was familiar with the "fashion". Also in the 90s music like NiN were popular and also the "goth"/grunge style. They probably copied it by their friends or TCM. They were teens, they wanted to look tough. Very Happy
And to the tucked-in-shirt question: I think, he was the only one. Military family! Probably had strict rules, who knows. But we will never know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Eric Harris style inspo??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1