Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?

Go down 
+8
Wumselito
W.A.R.
Lizpuff
Littlelo
starrwilliams
Glamazon
TheSpiral
Szabo
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Szabo

Contribution Points : 66963
Forum Reputation : 35

How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Empty
PostSubject: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2017 11:35 am

The recent thread on Sue Klebold speaking out has got me wondering about Eric's family since Columbine. Have they ever publicly talked about it?
Back to top Go down
TheSpiral

TheSpiral

Contribution Points : 74139
Forum Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2017 11:42 am

They did not.
They seem to have accepted that Eric was an irredeemable psycho and are moving on, trying to forget it.. Maybe it's just easier that way.

Now everybody dancing, the dance of the dead
The dance of the dead, the dance of the dead
Back to top Go down
Glamazon

Contribution Points : 66060
Forum Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2017 11:45 am

Szabo wrote:
Have they ever publicly talked about it?

No, and they never will.

starrwilliams

Contribution Points : 64974
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2017 11:46 am

Did I read somewhere that Wayne Harris passed away?
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

Contribution Points : 65778
Forum Reputation : 90

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2017 11:52 am

I think the only time we will ever see what they have to say about Eric & Columbine is when the depositions are released. Isn't that supposed to be in 2023?
Back to top Go down
Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 95449
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2017 12:51 pm

deeagle wrote:

That was a rumor and is not true.

W.A.R.

Contribution Points : 69598
Forum Reputation : 345

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2017 2:28 pm

I respect they didn't cash in on this.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

Contribution Points : 65778
Forum Reputation : 90

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2017 2:44 pm

I agree they have every right not to speak about Columbine. I think people just initially had a bad taste in their mouths when we heard they refused to cooperate with investigators. Although, seeing how JeffCo handled everything, I kinda don't blame them...
Back to top Go down
TheSpiral

TheSpiral

Contribution Points : 74139
Forum Reputation : 63

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2017 3:12 pm

From what I understand, they just want to forget about it and act like it never happened.
They didn't even watch the basement tapes, even though they could have.

Now everybody dancing, the dance of the dead
The dance of the dead, the dance of the dead
Back to top Go down
starrwilliams

starrwilliams

Contribution Points : 64974

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2017 4:48 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
deeagle wrote:

That was a rumor and is not true.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 30, 2017 3:16 pm

Nope and they probably will never talk about it publicly. As others have said they probably want to move on and forget about it.
Back to top Go down
Wumselito

Wumselito

Contribution Points : 63949

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 02, 2017 3:34 pm

TheSpiral wrote:
They did not.
They seem to have accepted that Eric was an irredeemable psycho and are moving on, trying to forget it.. Maybe it's just easier that way.

I think the things they admit to thinking, believing and feeling "publicly" (i.e. to investigators, victim's families like the Mausers etc) and things they might discuss and say in private are two very different matters.
I hate it when people say say they do not care about Eric and have basically disowned them.
Just look at Sue Klebold. Whenever she publicly "admits" to still loving Dylan no matter what she always precedes it with saying she's 100% aware of his actions and does not condone them and she does that because she's so afraid of people lashing out because they don't understand because they will never ever be in that situation. Even then, she still gets a lot of shit.
Eric said it himself - In his opinion they weren't bad parents. I just don't believe the claims of them disowning him. "Pretending" to under the scrutiny of the public eye maybe if you want to call it so, but in private?? Don't buy it, sorry.
IMO neither the Harrises nor the Klebolds owe us anything, and Sue choosing to speak out is a huge gift, not a right.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2017 8:36 pm

It seems like they just want to forget that it ever happened. They probably walk around like zombies with no emotion and never mention Eric.
Back to top Go down
sscc

Contribution Points : 82296
Forum Reputation : 523

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2017 9:13 pm

I came across this video a while ago (I'm not sure if I originally saw it posted here but I probably did). I can't say if the story is true but it's interesting to think that it could be.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 8:15 am

The Harris family has never spoken publicly on the massacre, I also feel they will never speak out. The closest thing we will ever get to hearing their perspective on Eric and Columbine will be from the Depositions.
Back to top Go down
sscc

Contribution Points : 82296
Forum Reputation : 523

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 04, 2017 4:42 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I was just reading through this old thread. It might be of interest to anyone who wonders about the Harrises.

Last edited by sscc on Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Krieg

Krieg

Contribution Points : 59874
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 04, 2017 4:45 pm

I think they're just trying to distance themselves from what their son did.It's really hard to deal with the fact that your son was a mass shooter
Back to top Go down
Fatheroftwo

Contribution Points : 82538

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 05, 2017 11:46 pm

Wumselito wrote:
TheSpiral wrote:
They did not.

I think the things they admit to thinking, believing and feeling "publicly" (i.e. to investigators, victim's families like the Mausers etc) and things they might discuss and say in private are two very different matters.
I hate it when people say say they do not care about Eric and have basically disowned them.
Just look at Sue Klebold. Whenever she publicly "admits" to still loving Dylan no matter what she always precedes it with saying she's 100% aware of his actions and does not condone them and she does that because she's so afraid of people lashing out because they don't understand because they will never ever be in that situation. Even then, she still gets a lot of shit.
Eric said it himself - In his opinion they weren't bad parents. I just don't believe the claims of them disowning him. "Pretending" to under the scrutiny of the public eye maybe if you want to call it so, but in private?? Don't buy it, sorry.
IMO neither the Harrises nor the Klebolds owe us anything, and Sue choosing to speak out is a huge gift, not a right.

well stated.

There is a chance Kathy Harris could be heard from if she outlives her husband.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 06, 2017 7:58 am

Fatheroftwo wrote:
Wumselito wrote:
TheSpiral wrote:
They did not.

well stated.

There is a chance Kathy Harris could be heard from if she outlives her husband.

That raises an interesting question. Do you think that Kathy has kept silent because Wayne doesn't want anything talked about publicly?

As a Mom myself, I find it hard to believe that Kathy has never wanted to defend Eric in some way. To talk about him in hopes that people would understand that he wasn't a monster, that he was a misguided, mentally sick child who needed help.

I have never believed that the Harris's simply just accepted that Eric was a psychopath. Maybe at the time that would have seemed like the ONLY thing to make sense to them. But I don't think they truly thought he was.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 192924
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 06, 2017 10:55 am

From not knowing them, my opinion is just that, an opinion but I had always assumed that when Wayne passes away Kevin and Kathy would be able to speak more freely. I think he is a very private person who doesn't want his business out there.

As Sue said, most people don't acknowledge that she lost a child. She said they were saying the other children mattered and hers didn't. She ended her marriage and I bet a reason for that was that she wrote her book and started speaking out.

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 06, 2017 11:06 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
From not knowing them, my opinion is just that, an opinion but I had always assumed that when Wayne passes away Kevin and Kathy would be able to speak more freely. I think he is a very private person who doesn't want his business out there.

As Sue said, most people don't acknowledge that she lost a child. She said they were saying the other children mattered and hers didn't. She ended her marriage and I bet a reason for that was that she wrote her book and started speaking out.

That has ALWAYS pissed me off.  It takes a very cruel, heartless person to say that the death of your child doesn't matter. No matter what Eric and Dylan did, they were still someone's child. They were loved, and to say The Harris's and Klebold's had/have no right to grieve their dead child is just wrong.

I think Sue deciding to write her book did have an impact on her marriage. She even said that Tom and Byron didn't want their lives exposed.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 192924
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 06, 2017 11:27 am

Out of the school shooters families (that are still alive, I know a few killed their parents. You have to hand it to Eric and Dylan I doubt HIGHLY that thought ever crossed their minds) have any of their parents spoken out as much as Sue has for Dylan?

That is another way this shooting is different, the boys had loving families. Not perfect, because whose are?

PostSubject: Re: How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?   How have the Harris' coped with Columbine? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How have the Harris' coped with Columbine?
Page 1 of 1