Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Basement Tapes EFOIA request?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wawbeast44

PostSubject: Basement Tapes EFOIA request?   Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:32 pm

Has anyone ever tried contacting the FBI about the Basement tapes via an EFOIA Request.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sororityalpha

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes EFOIA request?   Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:37 pm

There were some put to JCSO but not the FBI, afaik.

em81

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes EFOIA request?   Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:46 pm

i mean, who would do this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Noremorse

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes EFOIA request?   Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:48 am

I Would totally contact them about it if i was a US citizen, i encourage you Americans to do so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes EFOIA request?   Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:52 pm

I've tried to digitalize some of my old VHS records from the 90's recently. I can tell you that they are totally useless right now, the magnetic tape has destroyed itself over the years. As far as i've read they are built to last for about 20 years, maybe a little more.

I highly doubt that Jefco or the FBI had already digitalized the Basement Tapes somewhen in the past years. So my guess is that the BT will unfortunately fade away naturally in a dark room at Jefco or the FBI in near future with no need for them to actively destroy them.

If we really want to seem them, the have to release them quickly
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1Mare1
Top Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes EFOIA request?   Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:02 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I've tried to digitalize some of my old VHS records from the 90's recently. I can tell you that they are totally useless right now, the magnetic tape has destroyed itself over the years. As far as i've read they are built to last for about 20 years, maybe a little more.

I highly doubt that Jefco or the FBI had already digitalized the Basement Tapes somewhen in the past years. So my guess is that the BT will unfortunately fade away naturally in a dark room at Jefco or the FBI in near future with no need for them to actively destroy them.

If we really want to seem them, the have to release them quickly

Is tape restoration possible?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draw_It_White
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes EFOIA request?   Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:07 pm

I'd have thought somewhere would certainly have digitalised them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mordupen

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes EFOIA request?   Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:19 pm

If they're never going to be released for certain then why doesn't someone or a group of people try and ACCURATELY recreate them? I mean using the same Camcorder or a similar one, Recreating Eric's Bedroom and filling it with as close as possible items like using the same computer he had etc etc. It does sound and would be pretty pricey and ambitious but the sets could become attractions after filming. Fangirls would flock.

Draw_It_White
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes EFOIA request?   Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:15 pm

If they're never going to be released for certain then why doesn't someone or a group of people try and ACCURATELY recreate them? I mean using the same Camcorder or a similar one, Recreating Eric's Bedroom and filling it with as close as possible items like using the same computer he had etc etc. It does sound and would be pretty pricey and ambitious but the sets could become attractions after filming. Fangirls would flock.

I guess the problem is without seeing exactly what the setup was and not having the full content of them we can't accurately recreate anything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes EFOIA request?   Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:51 am

Not necessarily, as JeffCo never wanted them released in the first place. I am almost sure they were indeed destroyed or at the very least hidden away with the hopes they would be forgotten. I actually don't see them making any effort to restore, digitize, or make copies of something they wanted to get rid of as soon as possible.

The only chance we have of seeing them is if someone made a copy in secret. Even if that did happen we still will likely never get to see it. I mean after 18 years how would the tape quality be? I think the best chance at the basement tapes will be if Randy Brown decides to go over them in his book.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
                                                                                         -Friedrich Nietzsche

I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other.
               -Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draw_It_White
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes EFOIA request?   Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:00 pm

Not necessarily, as JeffCo never wanted them released in the first place. I am almost sure they were indeed destroyed or at the very least hidden away with the hopes they would be forgotten. I actually don't see them making any effort to restore, digitize, or make copies of something they wanted to get rid of as soon as possible.

The only chance we have of seeing them is if someone made a copy in secret. Even if that did happen we still will likely never get to see it. I mean after 18 years how would the tape quality be?  I think the best chance at the basement tapes will be if Randy Brown decides to go over them in his book.

I appreciate what you are saying about JeffCo not being in a hurry to make digital copies of it but I'm not having it that the FBI won't have done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes EFOIA request?   Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:32 pm

The only chance we have of seeing them is if someone made a copy in secret. Even if that did happen we still will likely never get to see it. I mean after 18 years how would the tape quality be?  I think the best chance at the basement tapes will be if Randy Brown decides to go over them in his book.

I appreciate what you are saying about JeffCo not being in a hurry to make digital copies of it but I'm not having it that the FBI won't have done.

Even if the FBI did preserve the tapes in some way, it is still doubtful they will ever release them.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
                                                                                         -Friedrich Nietzsche

I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draw_It_White
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes EFOIA request?   Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:38 pm

Even if the FBI did preserve the tapes in some way, it is still doubtful they will ever release them.

I agree. And that's why I don't think it will be possible for someone to try and recreate them - because we'll never be fully sure what they looked like or contained in the first place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes EFOIA request?   Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:45 pm

I agree. And that's why I don't think it will be possible for someone to try and recreate them - because we'll never be fully sure what they looked like or contained in the first place.

EXACTLY! All we have are the transcriptions. No one knows how accurate they are, as things could have easily been added or left out.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tommydee89

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes EFOIA request?   Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:23 pm

Weren’t there rumors that the basement tapes were actually destroyed?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Basement Tapes EFOIA request?   Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:39 pm

Weren’t there rumors that the basement tapes were actually destroyed?

The original basement tapes were supposedly destroyed by JeffCo quite some time ago. Yet a lot of people think and hope that copies were indeed made and still exist somewhere.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Basement Tapes EFOIA request?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1