Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Type of Ammuniation Adam Used?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
STK

PostSubject: Type of Ammuniation Adam Used?   Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:54 pm

Is it known what type of ammunition used during the attack? Considering Lanza's firearms experience and forward planning skills, it would make sense if he used Hollow Point bullets (which cause greater tissue damage than other forms of ammunition). Some news reports have vaguely alluded to such, but contained contradictory details and a lack of a credible source. I don't believe the official report mentioned the type of ammunition he used.

InsaneIntruder

PostSubject: Re: Type of Ammuniation Adam Used?   Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:48 am

You could look at pictures of stuff found at Adam and Nancy's house. Pictures of weapons might have some bullets next to the weapons or something and you could figure out what type of bullets the bullets were using that method.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sscc
Top 10 Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Type of Ammuniation Adam Used?   Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:46 am

I didn't see any reference to the type of bullets used so I'm just guessing (especially since I don't know anything about this) but after looking at the information available, pictures of the live rounds, and reading up on ammunition types, it looks like he may have used Soft Point rounds. These do not exactly have an open tip in the same way as HP rounds. Instead of a wide opening in the jacket that covers the lead, part of the lead is protruding from the projectile so it maintains accuracy but will still expand upon impact causing more damage (a larger wound) than a standard FMJ round.

(This page has some good photos and information comparing different types of bullets.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] )

This is what Adam's rifle ammunition looked like.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Adam's bullets were marked "S&B 60 5.56x45" which seems to mean they were Sellier & Bellot brand 5.56x45/.223.

This is what S&B FMJ rounds look like.

This is what S&B SP rounds look like.

If anyone has any actual knowledge on the subject (or has found some contradictory information contained in the investigation documents), please correct me!

Type of Ammuniation Adam Used?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1