Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 
 

 Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:52 pm

I used to own a copy of A Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy, the book that was written by Dylan's mother published in 2014 I think. It journeys the entirety of Dylan's life from beginning to end. Anyone else read it? I thought it was beautiful and Sue Klebold sure has a colourful vocabulary in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Miscellaneous Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4418
Contribution Points : 75922
Join date : 2017-08-26
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:07 pm

Yes! There are a lot of discussion threads about it from when it first came out. There are a few things she writes about that happened to patent. The website thing for starters. Dylan didn't get Brooks the website address.

She does use a lot of colorful imagery. It probably comes from her being an artist.

It's up there for me along with Jeff Klass's book and Brooks Browns book

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:14 pm

Back to top Go down
ShadowedGoddess
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 6160
Contribution Points : 75865
Join date : 2017-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:31 pm

I have read it several times, and I consider Sue's book required reading when researching Columbine.

_________________
''I have been astonished that men could die martyrs for religion—I have shuddered at it. I shudder no more—I could be martyred for my religion—Love is my religion—I could die for that.''                                                                                                                                      
                                                        -John Keats (1795-1821)

“Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.”

                                                        - Anaïs Nin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Juicy Jazzy



Posts : 490
Contribution Points : 48906
Join date : 2013-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pm

I read it twice last year and once this year so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Littlelo

avatar

Posts : 1210
Contribution Points : 17353
Join date : 2017-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:47 am

I've read it twice so far but I know I will read it again. There is a lot of *credible* info in it and a lot of things to change your perspective.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
munchkinphone
Top Contributor


Posts : 547
Contribution Points : 14392
Join date : 2017-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:45 am

I've read it once and I cried like 3 times.. and I thought I was a coldhearted bitch. confused Soft af
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSpiral

avatar

Posts : 552
Contribution Points : 25717
Join date : 2016-04-15
Age : 19
Location : Croatia

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:21 am

I've had it since last year.
Never read it though. I've read Columbine and No Easy Answeres, but this book just can't seem to hold me all the way through.
I've read the first part, about the day it happened but that's about it. I find the book mundane, especially the parts about Dylan's early childhood.

_________________
Falling out of airplanes and hiding out in holes
Waiting for the sunset to come, people going home
Jump out from behind them and shoot them in the head
Now everybody dancing, the dance of the dead
The dance of the dead, the dance of the dead
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Miscellaneous Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4418
Contribution Points : 75922
Join date : 2017-08-26
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:02 am

I listened to Sue's reading of the audiobook. I was listening to the chapter on Dylan's funeral before I went to yoga and I was crying. My friends asked me if I was OK lol

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
spinvault

avatar

Posts : 216
Contribution Points : 24376
Join date : 2016-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:48 am

I have read it a couple of times completely and have several parts bookmarked and return many times to reread those sections.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wumselito

avatar

Posts : 27
Contribution Points : 15549
Join date : 2017-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:52 am

I've read it once and have listened to the audiobook (read by Sue herself!) a couple times since.
So obviously I like it a lot because it gives us a unique, intimidate perspective on Dylan that I would never have dreamt of getting.
But I'm a bit annoyed at Sue buying into Dave Cullen. She's saying she isn't trying to "excuse" Dylan's involvement or make it seem any less severe but at the same time she pretty much blames it all on Eric. Although at the same time I can't blame her, as his mother, for doing so.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Yes! There are a lot of discussion threads about it from when it first came out.  There are a few things she writes about that happened to patent. The website thing for starters. Dylan didn't get Brooks the website address.

She does use a lot of colorful imagery. It probably comes from her being an artist.

It's up there for me along with Jeff Klass's book and Brooks Browns book

I didn't like it at all. Yeah, I enjoyed the extra information about Eric and Dylan and on the school climate in general, but with Brooks I can never tell what's the truth and what's a fabrication of his imagination.
I can't stand the Brown's as a whole. They seem so self-centered and nosy looking to seem important/the center of attention at all costs.
Like assuming E&D were in serious trouble with the police just because of Eric's website... And why would they assume Dylan was in trouble because of threats he didn't make? And get himself into trouble by telling brooks about it in the first place? Completely stupid and doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Littlelo

avatar

Posts : 1210
Contribution Points : 17353
Join date : 2017-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:47 am

I forget what Brooks' rationalization was for Dylan also getting into trouble, but I can say that after re-reading his account of that period, I don't believe it. It's easy to make things fit your narrative in retrospect. Especially since E&D are both long gone.

I believe some of what Brooks says, but I agree it's hard to believe anything 100% unless there is evidence.

I also dislike that the Browns say they tried following up with the officer multiple times...if I thought my kids life was in danger, I wouldn't stop calling until I got an answer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Miscellaneous Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4418
Contribution Points : 75922
Join date : 2017-08-26
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:08 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I've read it once and have listened to the audiobook (read by Sue herself!) a couple times since.
So obviously I like it a lot because it gives us a unique, intimidate perspective on Dylan that I would never have dreamt of getting.
But I'm a bit annoyed at Sue buying into Dave Cullen. She's saying she isn't trying to "excuse" Dylan's involvement or make it seem any less severe but at the same time she pretty much blames it all on Eric. Although at the same time I can't blame her, as his mother, for doing so.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Yes! There are a lot of discussion threads about it from when it first came out.  There are a few things she writes about that happened to patent. The website thing for starters. Dylan didn't get Brooks the website address.

She does use a lot of colorful imagery. It probably comes from her being an artist.

It's up there for me along with Jeff Klass's book and Brooks Browns book

I didn't like it at all. Yeah, I enjoyed the extra information about Eric and Dylan and on the school climate in general, but with Brooks I can never tell what's the truth and what's a fabrication of his imagination.
I can't stand the Brown's as a whole. They seem so self-centered and nosy looking to seem important/the center of attention at all costs.
Like assuming E&D were in serious trouble with the police just because of Eric's website... And why would they assume Dylan was in trouble because of threats he didn't make? And get himself into trouble by telling brooks about it in the first place? Completely stupid and doesn't make any sense whatsoever.


That is something I never understood either about Brooks. Why would Dylan be in trouble for the website he didn't do anything regarding that. The thing I could think of was the rebel missions but Zach would've gotten in trouble too for those!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
MellonCollie

avatar

Posts : 49
Contribution Points : 9493
Join date : 2017-12-01
Age : 142
Location : Local Mcdonalds

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:52 pm

I haven't read it yet, but I really want to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Acid84

avatar

Posts : 47
Contribution Points : 19279
Join date : 2016-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:04 pm

Guys, I have read Brooks book and unfortunately I sat through Cullens (hours of my life I wont get back)
My question is this, from the reasearch and numerous articles/topics/forums etc I have read regarding the subject and interactions with members here and elsewhere including the interactions with forum members here that attended the school.

Am I likely to learn anything new from this book? or is it more to paint a picture of Dylans life pre tragedy etc? Basically is it worth me reading when I have lots of other books I havent bothered with as of yet? Smile

Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 6160
Contribution Points : 75865
Join date : 2017-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:16 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Guys, I have read Brooks book and unfortunately I sat through Cullens (hours of my life I wont get back)
My question is this, from the reasearch and numerous articles/topics/forums etc I have read regarding the subject and interactions with members here and elsewhere including the interactions with forum members here that attended the school.

Am I likely to learn anything new from this book? or is it more to paint a picture of Dylans life pre tragedy etc? Basically is it worth me reading when I have lots of other books I havent bothered with as of yet? Smile

Thanks in advance

In my opinion it is a good book. This is first hand info directly from someone who was involved, as she was Dylan's mom and was there before, during and after Columbine.

Yes, Sue does try to tell you what Dylan's early life was like, and she does seem to try to lessen his responsibility a bit. But its expected as she was his mother. All in all still worth the read. Smile

_________________
''I have been astonished that men could die martyrs for religion—I have shuddered at it. I shudder no more—I could be martyred for my religion—Love is my religion—I could die for that.''                                                                                                                                      
                                                        -John Keats (1795-1821)

“Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.”

                                                        - Anaïs Nin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Acid84

avatar

Posts : 47
Contribution Points : 19279
Join date : 2016-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:17 pm

Thanks alot for that I will download it then Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Miscellaneous Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4418
Contribution Points : 75922
Join date : 2017-08-26
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:15 am

I agree with ShadowedGoddess.

There are a couple facts that are incorrect, mainly Dylan giving Brooks Eric's website but that's not a big deal at all.

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
ShadowedGoddess
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 6160
Contribution Points : 75865
Join date : 2017-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:19 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I agree with ShadowedGoddess.

There are a couple facts that are incorrect, mainly Dylan giving Brooks Eric's website but that's not a big deal at all.

I wonder if that sort of incorrect info in her book was mainly due to Sue relying on Cullen as her fact checker?! scratch

_________________
''I have been astonished that men could die martyrs for religion—I have shuddered at it. I shudder no more—I could be martyred for my religion—Love is my religion—I could die for that.''                                                                                                                                      
                                                        -John Keats (1795-1821)

“Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.”

                                                        - Anaïs Nin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Miscellaneous Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 4418
Contribution Points : 75922
Join date : 2017-08-26
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:46 am

More than likely yes.

Also I'm sure hearing that Dylan let people go and warned Brooks gave her comfort in knowing Dylan's humanity was still there. Even if it's not true or highly debated, I'm sure she wants to believe it for her own sanity so to speak.

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
munchkinphone
Top Contributor


Posts : 547
Contribution Points : 14392
Join date : 2017-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:08 am


I wonder what makes her want to take the path of believing his humanity was still there rather than acting as if he vanished with his depression, thus forming a "new Dylan" that was capable of those evil acts. I feel like that would be a copingstrategy people would normally use in her situation.

I think it honers her to not use his declining mental health as a way to distance herself from him in that way. It shows integrity

Back to top Go down
View user profile
KLEBOLD



Posts : 3
Contribution Points : 8338
Join date : 2018-01-13
Age : 29
Location : colorado spring

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:47 am

it was a relly good book
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LevtinAlex

avatar

Posts : 32
Contribution Points : 1445
Join date : 2018-11-07
Location : Russia

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:46 pm

I read and decided that I would even buy this book.

_________________
Chimera doesn't go anywhere - her legs are too different.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SandraSmit19

avatar

Posts : 96
Contribution Points : 51939
Join date : 2013-05-09
Age : 35
Location : The Lowlands

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?   Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:12 am

One of the many things reading Sue Klebold's book has taught me is that you don't know real stress until something like this happens. We all think we know what it means to be stressed but real stress, real trauma, messes you up in every way. She describes her digestive problems, her sleeping problems, her inability to simply function even years after the shooting. That's very different from feeling a little down because things aren't going your way. It humbled me, I can tell you. I don't think I'll be complaining quite so much about how stressed I am in future.

_________________
I don't trust joggers, they're the ones always finding the bodies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Has anyone read "A Mother's Reckoning"?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» The Reckoning
» Where do you read manga?
» My Mother's Robes
» Character Hurt n' Heal #3 The Parents CLOSED WINNER IS JANE READ
» Elphame's Choice

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Thoughts on the Shooting-
Jump to: