Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky

Go down 
+6
rabadon55
QuestionMark
sscc
milkwood
Screamingophelia
Littlelo
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Littlelo

Littlelo

Contribution Points : 65753
Forum Reputation : 90

School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Empty
PostSubject: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 6:22 pm

Marshall County High School

1 confirmed fatality, 7 taken to hospitals, and the shooter is in custody

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Not a ton of info available as of yet...
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 192899
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Wasn’t there one yesterday too?

It’s usually this time of year that we get most of the shootings I think. Now it seems like no one’s really even trying to copy cat they’re just bringing in guns. I wonder if some of the recent shootings are more personal and a chair?Just some random thoughts as I walk into work.

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 7:17 pm

Yeah, there was one in Texas. It’s crazy how commonplace shootings have become. Especially after the Las Vegas shooting, the number of fatalities always seem tame in comparison...but even one person losing their life is tragic Sad
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 7:23 pm

Littlelo wrote:
Yeah, there was one in Texas. It’s crazy how commonplace shootings have become. Especially after the Las Vegas shooting, the number of fatalities always seem tame in comparison...but even one person losing their life is tragic Sad

We are becoming more desensitized to it. Sad

I did read a comment  on  one of my true crime Facebook pages that said millennial’s are too lazy to even do school shootings right.

I don’t want any of it, I especially don’t want another Columbine or  Virginia Tech.
Back to top Go down
milkwood

Contribution Points : 61981
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 10:56 pm

Two 15 year olds now confirmed dead. Awful.

Shooter was also apparently a 15 year old.
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 11:19 pm

Wow I just read the updates. 15 is so young...

From the article:
“It also stirred painful memories of the 1997 school shooting that killed three students in West Paducah -- just 32 miles from the high school in Benton.”
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 11:22 pm

14 gunshot wound victims, 12 of them survived
Back to top Go down
sscc

Contribution Points : 82271
Forum Reputation : 523

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 11:40 pm

Littlelo wrote:

From the article:
“It also stirred painful memories of the 1997 school shooting that killed three students in West Paducah -- just 32 miles from the high school in Benton.”
I'm curious to know if he had ever showed any interest in the old shooting, knowing that it was so close. Hard to believe that the kid wasn't even born until about four or five years after that happened.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119628
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 11:42 pm

Littlelo wrote:

From the article:

Huh. What a small world we live in.

Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 11:44 pm

sscc wrote:
Littlelo wrote:

From the article:
I'm curious to know if he had ever showed any interest in the old shooting, knowing that it was so close. Hard to believe that the kid wasn't even born until about four or five years after that happened.

I think the shooter from that incident was only 14. Crazy.
Back to top Go down
rabadon55

rabadon55

Contribution Points : 58040

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2018 11:59 pm

Do we know the name of the shooter?
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2018 12:07 am

Rumored to be a young man named Gabriel. I saw it on Facebook

rabadon55

Contribution Points : 58040

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2018 12:11 am

Yeah, it seems it was a guy named Gabe Parker.

There was a news it was Michael Zane Kreuz, but for sure it was fake news.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2018 12:17 am

rabadon55 wrote:
Yeah, it seems it was a guy named Gabe Parker.

There was a news it was Michael Zane Kreuz, but for sure it was fake news.

His step sister posted on FB about him Sad he suffered through bullying.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2018 12:35 am

"In Tuesday's shooting, 14 students were struck by gunfire, two of them fatally. One, a 15-year-old girl, died at the scene, and a 15-year-old boy was pronounced dead at a hospital trauma center, Bevin said."

"Authorities offered no information on the motive behind the shooting. There was no immediate indication how well the youth, who officials said faces multiple charges of murder and attempted murder, knew the victims."

2 dead, and 17 injured.  Sad
Back to top Go down
Tommy QTR

Contribution Points : 91192
Forum Reputation : 575

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2018 12:54 am

Maybe it was a member of Ember's Ghost Squad.

-Lil Peep
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2018 12:59 am

A couple reports I’ve read claim the shooting started or took place in the school’s commons.
Back to top Go down
abstractsmigs

abstractsmigs

Contribution Points : 71223

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2018 4:30 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
Now it seems like no one’s really even trying to copy cat they’re just bringing in guns.

This is what I've been thinking about too. Another idea, young shooters take inspiration from so many different individuals and/or shootings that it's less obvious what they are copying.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2018 4:32 am

abstractsmigs wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
Now it seems like no one’s really even trying to copy cat they’re just bringing in guns.

This is what I've been thinking about too. Another idea, young shooters take inspiration from so many different individuals and/or shootings that it's less obvious what they are copying.

That’s true. It seems like Pandora’s box opened a long time ago. Even if people did do the no noterity movement... after Columbine, Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook and Aurora troubled individuals have their pick.
Back to top Go down
sscc

Contribution Points : 82271
Forum Reputation : 523

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2018 8:17 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
That’s true. It seems like Pandora’s box opened a long time ago. Even if people did do the no noterity movement... after Columbine, Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook and Aurora troubled individuals have their pick.
Well, the no notoriety idea hinges on the belief that some shooters are not inspired by their identification with other shooters as much as they are inspired by the attention those people received. It's true that past shooters may still be role models and inspire some but the potential shooters who fantasize about having their name and face on CNN would be deprived of an important motivation. It wouldn't stop every shooting and I think the no noteriety folks could be overestimating the good it would do but I also think that it could stop some of them and that would be worth it.

There's also the possibility that if each shooter was treated the same, with their story told but their name and face left out of the reporting, then there wouldn't be the same sort of competition for kills so the number of casualties might stop going up with every major shooting.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2018 8:44 am

abstractsmigs wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:

I doubt it was a copycat attack. Awful as it is, these things happen all the time.

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2018 4:04 pm

From the article:

"The students killed were Bailey Hope, a 15-year-old girl, and Preston Cope, a 15-year-old boy, state police said. Five of the victims were in critical condition, police said, but hospital officials said they expected all those wounded in the incident to survive."

Still no motive. Some have said bullying was a possible cause. I also see that the number of injured keeps changing. scratch
Back to top Go down
Littlelo

Littlelo

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2018 4:30 pm

RIP Bailey Holt and Preston Cope.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2018 11:34 pm

Back to top Go down
Pheather23

Contribution Points : 58261

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2018 12:05 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:

From the article:

"The students killed were Bailey Hope, a 15-year-old girl, and Preston Cope, a 15-year-old boy, state police said. Five of the victims were in critical condition, police said, but hospital officials said they expected all those wounded in the incident to survive."

Still no motive. Some have said bullying was a possible cause. I also see that the number of injured keeps changing. scratch

I think that some students were injured by bullets while others were injured trying to run away. Some outlets are reporting them together and others separately.

I'm a high school teacher, and this school is less than an hour from me, so it hits very close to home. We have already had meetings about changing our active shooter protocol. Apparently, no one in any school shooting has ever died behind a locked and barricaded door (or such was the info our School Resource Officer provided), so that's the new plan. Prior to that, we were doing ALICE.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2018 1:08 am

Pheather23 wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:

From the article:

I think that some students were injured by bullets while others were injured trying to run away.  Some outlets are reporting them together and others separately.

I'm a high school teacher, and this school is less than an hour from me, so it hits very close to home. We have already had meetings about changing our active shooter protocol. Apparently, no one in any school shooting has ever died behind a locked and barricaded door (or such was the info our School Resource Officer provided), so that's the new plan.  Prior to that, we were doing ALICE.  

Sad that this is even an issue that kids and teachers have to face. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2018 2:13 am

"Normally, a juveniles's case stays in juvenile court. But if the charge is a Class A or B felony and the juvenile is 14-years-old or older, then it qualifies them to be treated as an adult," Edwards says.

"In this case, the crime is so heinous a hearing in juvenile court won't satisfy punishment," Edwards says."

They are probably going to try him as an adult.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2018 1:31 am

Quote :
"We have become desensitized to death, we have become desensitized to killing, we have become desensitized to empathy for our fellow man and it's coming at an extraordinary price and we have got to look at the root causes of this," Bevin told The Associated Press

"We can't celebrate death in video games, celebrate death in TV shows, celebrate death in movies, celebrate death in musical lyrics and remove any sense of morality and sense of higher authority and then expect that things like this are not going to happen," he added.

Lol I can't believe that there are people who still think like this. What a dumbass.

InsaneIntruder

InsaneIntruder

Contribution Points : 85078
Forum Reputation : 340

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2018 6:34 pm

Tommy QTR wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2018 6:36 pm

Teachers should have guns in the USA, because gun controll laws like UK and Australia will never happen there.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2018 8:37 pm

InsaneIntruder wrote:
Tommy QTR wrote:

God dammit  lol!

InsaneIntruder

InsaneIntruder

Contribution Points : 85078
Forum Reputation : 340

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2018 9:10 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
InsaneIntruder wrote:
Tommy QTR wrote:

God dammit  lol!
Fun fact: I also used Sam Hyde's body.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky   School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

School Shooting in Benton, Kentucky
Page 1 of 1