Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Reactions to mass shootings

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
log_1987

log_1987

Contribution Points : 57156
Forum Reputation : 0

Reactions to mass shootings Empty
PostSubject: Reactions to mass shootings   Reactions to mass shootings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 6:26 pm

I find it interesting how divergent the reactions can be to different shootings even when there are the same amount of victims.

Two shootings with very different responses are the Hoddle Street massacre (7 dead, 19 injured), and the Strathfield massacre (7 dead, 6 injured); I excluded Wade Frankum as he was not a victim. There is no memorial whatsoever for the Hoddle Street massacre whereas the Strathfield massacre has a permanent memorial.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Another two shootings with very different responses are the Monash University shooting (2 dead, 5 injured), and the Sydney siege (2 dead, 4 injured); I excluded Man Monis as he was not a victim. Monash University has swept the shooting under the rug. The room still exists, only now it's an office instead of a classroom. There is no plaque commemorating the victims. However, there is a permanent memorial for the victims of the Sydney siege.

It makes me wonder, what deserves a memorial and what doesn't?
Back to top Go down
Jea

Jea

Contribution Points : 57542
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Reactions to mass shootings   Reactions to mass shootings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 6:39 pm

I also wondering about that. But in my opinion press coverage takes huge part in the aftermath. As long they talking about it, a higher chance that crime become more memorable.

log_1987

log_1987

PostSubject: Re: Reactions to mass shootings   Reactions to mass shootings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 7:19 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The press coverage definitely made the Sydney siege memorable. I remember that unfolding live on television. No doubt that played a huge part in the aftermath.

However, it's the aftermath of the Hoddle Street massacre that most surprises me. It had much more press coverage than the Strathfield massacre, but is without a memorial.
Back to top Go down
Jea

Jea

PostSubject: Re: Reactions to mass shootings   Reactions to mass shootings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 7:32 pm

log_1987 wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The press coverage definitely made the Sydney siege memorable. I remember that unfolding live on television. No doubt that played a huge part in the aftermath.

However, it's the aftermath of the Hoddle Street massacre that most surprises me. It had much more press coverage than the Strathfield massacre, but is without a memorial.
I'm not sure why Strathfield massacre have no memorial, but often it's up to victims families to support the idea of memorial.

InsaneIntruder

InsaneIntruder

Contribution Points : 85078
Forum Reputation : 340

PostSubject: Re: Reactions to mass shootings   Reactions to mass shootings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 7:51 pm

log_1987 wrote:

Monash University has swept the shooting under the rug. The room still exists, only now it's an office instead of a classroom. There is no plaque commemorating the victims.
Wrong.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 192899
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Reactions to mass shootings   Reactions to mass shootings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 7:58 pm

I think Columbine has 2.one at Clement Park and there is one where Sue and Coni Sanders were photographed

log_1987

PostSubject: Re: Reactions to mass shootings   Reactions to mass shootings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 8:00 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Do you mean the Hoddle Street massacre? The Strathfield massacre has a memorial, it's the one pictured in the original post. You might be right though. Perhaps it's the fact that the victims' families did not push for a memorial. I'm not sure.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Turns out I am wrong. Where is the plaque located? I was unable to find it. However, my point still stands on the Hoddle Street massacre.
Back to top Go down
InsaneIntruder

InsaneIntruder

PostSubject: Re: Reactions to mass shootings   Reactions to mass shootings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 8:07 pm

log_1987 wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Turns out I am wrong. Where is the plaque located? I was unable to find it. However, my point still stands on the Hoddle Street massacre.
I don't know where it is, however I can give you an article on Monash University's website which includes a picture of it.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
log_1987

log_1987

PostSubject: Re: Reactions to mass shootings   Reactions to mass shootings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 8:20 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I'm surprised I never noticed it. I might have even seen it, I must have thought it was just another art installation.

Last edited by log_1987 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
InsaneIntruder

InsaneIntruder

PostSubject: Re: Reactions to mass shootings   Reactions to mass shootings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 9:30 pm

log_1987 wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I'm, surprised I never noticed it. I might have even seen it, I must have thought it was just another art installation.

I'm not surprised, considering it's just as the bottom and the main focus of the picture seems to be the art and not the plaque.
Back to top Go down
Jea

Jea

PostSubject: Re: Reactions to mass shootings   Reactions to mass shootings Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 9:49 pm

log_1987 wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Do you mean the Hoddle Street massacre? The Strathfield massacre has a memorial, it's the one pictured in the original post. You might be right though. Perhaps it's the fact that the victims' families did not push for a memorial. I'm not sure.
Yeah, I meant Hoddle Street massacre. I'm just very slow at this time at night.

QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119628
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Reactions to mass shootings   Reactions to mass shootings Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 2:44 am

log_1987 wrote:
It makes me wonder, what deserves a memorial and what doesn't?

Something else that mystifies me is how a killer gets their own following. Randy Stair is considered a total joke by and large, but maintains a cult following. Meanwhile William Atchison has been largely ignored. Perhaps part of it is due to Randy's bizzare belief system appealing to others that think like him, while Bill had nothing except his reputation for trolling and being an edgelord.

log_1987

log_1987

PostSubject: Re: Reactions to mass shootings   Reactions to mass shootings Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 4:19 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I think Stair's following is due to the fact that he left behind so much material about himself. William Atchison doesn't have that, and his shooting was even more pathetic than Randy's...

Being an edgelord might have been enough, like it was for TJ Lane, but there weren't any videos of Atchison. There isn't that much to discuss, and 2 deaths barely warrant a discussion nowadays.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reactions to mass shootings   Reactions to mass shootings Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 8:20 am

Jea wrote:
I also wondering about that. But in my opinion press coverage takes huge part in the aftermath. As long they talking about it, a higher chance that crime become more memorable.

I completely agree. The way something is covered by media outlets does play a significant roll.

This is just one of the reasons why Columbine is still relevant after almost 19 years, while other school shootings gained very little attention and was soon forgotten.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 192899
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Reactions to mass shootings   Reactions to mass shootings Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 8:26 am

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Jea wrote:

I completely agree. The way something is covered by media outlets does play a significant roll.

This is just one of the reasons why Columbine is still relevant after almost 19 years, while other school shootings gained very little attention and was soon forgotten.

The seniors graduating from CHS this year probably were only 1 or 2 around the time of the shooting so I wonder if now they just think of what happened as something that earned them an extra day off or if it resonates with them at all?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reactions to mass shootings   Reactions to mass shootings Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 8:37 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Jea wrote:

The seniors graduating from CHS this year probably were only 1 or 2 around the time of the shooting so I wonder if now they just think of what happened as something that earned them an extra day off or if it resonates with them at all?

That is a good question. You would think that it would be something they would think about considering this happened at the school they are in day after day. But it likely doesn't matter to most of them.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119628
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Reactions to mass shootings   Reactions to mass shootings Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 1:17 pm

log_1987 wrote:
there weren't any videos of Atchison.

Well actually there were, but they were taken down. Bill had a MediaFire account like Randy Stair, but it was deleted before anyone could take a look at it. Fuck, I'd pay money to see what was on that account.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reactions to mass shootings   Reactions to mass shootings Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reactions to mass shootings
Page 1 of 1