Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?

Go down 
+6
Rebbie556
Krieg
Ainjel
QuestionMark
InsaneIntruder
Flanders Darrel
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Flanders Darrel

Contribution Points : 56364
Forum Reputation : 25

What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Empty
PostSubject: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 2:58 am

What do you thin they would have been sentenced to as a result of their charges. I personally think Eric would have had the death penalty, and Dylan would have had life imprisonment.
Back to top Go down
InsaneIntruder

InsaneIntruder

Contribution Points : 85078
Forum Reputation : 340

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 6:51 am

Why not death for both?
Back to top Go down
Flanders Darrel

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 7:03 am

InsaneIntruder wrote:
Why not death for both?

I feel that the circumstances of the attack would have immediately ruled out Dylan as someone likely to receive the death penalty. Witnesses describe him as calmer and more loving than Eric, regardless of whatever the truth behind him was. Also, he was a minor, while Eric was an adult. Although I am certain Dylan would have been tried as an adult, sentencing a minor to death has only happened 8 times since Columbine. Furthermore, all of those times were in either Virginia, Texas, and Oklahoma, states being notorious for the death penalty.

Although, given the problems Eric had, he might have been able to avoid the death sentence, Dylan certainly wouldn't have had it. Also, Dylan killed less.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119628
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 11:51 am

Flanders Darrel wrote:
InsaneIntruder wrote:
Why not death for both?

I feel that the circumstances of the attack would have immediately ruled out Dylan as someone likely to receive the death penalty. Witnesses describe him as calmer and more loving than Eric, regardless of whatever the truth behind him was. Also, he was a minor, while Eric was an adult. Although I am certain Dylan would have been tried as an adult, sentencing a minor to death has only happened 8 times since Columbine. Furthermore, all of those times were in either Virginia, Texas, and Oklahoma, states being notorious for the death penalty.

Although, given the problems Eric had, he might have been able to avoid the death sentence, Dylan certainly wouldn't have had it. Also, Dylan killed less.

Considering the high profile nature of the crime, the only way Dylan's getting life is if he pleads guilty. Even then it's not a sure bet.

Flanders Darrel

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 11:58 am

QuestionMark wrote:
Flanders Darrel wrote:
InsaneIntruder wrote:
Why not death for both?

Considering the high profile nature of the crime, the only way Dylan's getting life is if he pleads guilty. Even then it's not a sure bet.

Maybe not a "sure bet." But I would go for over 90%, easily. High profile criminals like James Holmes avoided death. Sure, he was mentally ill, but Dylan was a depressed teenager who showed genuine concern for his parents in the "goodbye" tapes. They have ways of keeping people like that out of trouble in prison. Most likely solitary confinement until a little while when they give him a makeover and send him to either a lighter segregation or general population. Always under strict supervision though.

The James Holmes situation, for instance, the department of corrections handled that well after he got attacked the first time. They have ways of protecting these people. Maybe not always perfect ways, but ways.
Back to top Go down
Ainjel

Ainjel

Contribution Points : 65108
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 3:11 pm

Until the jury listened to the library recording and heard Dylan having the time of his life killing people...then I feel the death penalty would definitely be on the table as an option for punishment for both. Or the fact is brought up that this was intended to be a bombing and the intended kill count was aiming for at least 500 people killed or injured if their bombs had worked. I feel like the jury would also have to consider the fact that they both completed a diversionary program and none of the officials involved in that program had any reason to believe that Columbine was going to happen.  But considering the outcome of the James Holmes trial, they both would have likely gotten life.
Back to top Go down
Krieg

Krieg

Contribution Points : 59849
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 4:17 pm

InsaneIntruder wrote:
Why not death for both?

Eric mental illness etc etc
Back to top Go down
Rebbie556

Contribution Points : 91281
Forum Reputation : 225

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 6:22 pm

They might get for life &psychiatry
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119628
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 1:06 am

Everyone keeps bringing up the James Holmes case. What they're forgetting is that the jury which reached a decision on Holmes is obviously not going to be the same jury that has to give a judgement on Harris and Klebold. Add that to the fact that Holmes was demonstrably insane while Eric and Dylan were not and it becomes a lot more likely that they (or at least Eric depending on how the death penalty works in Colorado) are going to get the death penalty.

spinvault

spinvault

Contribution Points : 72578

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 11:44 am

I think it would have been interesting to see how the parents reacted. I am sure Tom and Sue Klebold would have gotten Dylan a lawyer immediately and pushed mental health issues. Plus, Dylan was only 17, so would he have been considered a minor or an adult. I do believe the Klebolds would have supported Dylan completely. The main question I have is with Wayne and Kathy Harris - would they support Eric or just let him face the trial and sentencing by himself. Eric was 18 so he would be considered an adult. I have no idea what Mr. and Mrs. Harris would have done.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 192899
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 11:49 am

I like that question. I would imagine they would want to get Erica a really good lawyer also to save face.

I also wonder if they would be tried separately or together?

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 11:52 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
I like that question. I would imagine they would want to get Erica a really good lawyer also to save face.

Certainly separately for a huge case like this, the year before when they stole some stuff from a van they were even tried separately.
Back to top Go down
Jea

Jea

Contribution Points : 57542
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 12:06 pm

Death penalty what else.)

Last edited by Jea on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
spinvault

spinvault

Contribution Points : 72578

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 12:10 pm

Flanders Darrel wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:

Certainly separately for a huge case like this, the year before when they stole some stuff from a van they were even tried separately.
If they are tried separately, I wonder if they would turn on each other and lay the blame on the other as the brains of the attack and he forced me to go through with it. It would be interesting to see what public opinion would be and if a jury would give them the same sentence.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 12:14 pm

Flanders Darrel wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:

They weren’t tried in a jury trial. They were placed in diversion instead.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 12:16 pm

spinvault wrote:
Flanders Darrel wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:

If they are tried separately, I wonder if they would turn on each other and lay the blame on the other as the brains of the attack and he forced me to go through with it. It would be interesting to see what public opinion would be and if a jury would give them the same sentence.

I have no doubt they probably would, but also I imagine their lawyers would each paint a picture of the other boy as being the mastermind.

Even with the van incident, Eric said it was Dylan’s idea but Dylan said it was both of theirs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 6:40 pm

Screamingophelia wrote:
spinvault wrote:
Flanders Darrel wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:

I have no doubt they probably would, but also I imagine their lawyers would each paint a picture of the other boy as being the mastermind.

Even with the van incident, Eric said it was Dylan’s idea but Dylan said it was both of theirs.

I have little doubt that Eric would have been singing like a canary! He proved himself to be a snitch during the van break-in. Rolling Eyes At least Dylan said it was BOTH their idea. Haha
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 6:44 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:
spinvault wrote:
Flanders Darrel wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:

I have little doubt that Eric would have been singing like a canary! He proved himself to be a snitch during the van break-in. Rolling Eyes  At least Dylan said it was BOTH their idea.  Haha

Didn't he even say he felt totally uncomfortable about it LOL

but in his journal he is like "I should be able to take this jerks things..' or something to that extent.
Back to top Go down
Ericklebold99

Contribution Points : 64570

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2018 5:57 pm

Still saddens me how Eric put dylan as his best friend and dylan didn't say the same
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 10:20 pm

With regards to the Harrises, pretty sure I read somewhere in the 11K that when police turned up to their house they already had a lawyer and told the police that they weren't to speak to Eric without the lawyer present.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 10:40 pm

I think the Klebolds called a lawyer for a much different reason than the Harris's.

I would LOVE to know the timeline for that morning with the Harris's URGH!

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 11:01 pm

Flanders Darrel wrote:
InsaneIntruder wrote:
Why not death for both?

"DIE MOTHERFUCKERS". - Loving Dylan.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?   What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you think Eric and Dylan's sentences would have been?
Page 1 of 1