Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 
 

 Witnesses re-interviewed?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 5091
Contribution Points : 49088
Join date : 2017-03-03

PostSubject: Witnesses re-interviewed?   Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:48 am

We all know the 11k was filled with misinformation, fabrications, kids repeating things they had only heard about and didn't see or hear for themselves,  etc. Everyone knows how fast info travels in a school.  The fact many people would hear something and then decided to parrot it back and incorporate it into their own Columbine experience is just one of the reasons why the case was so bogged down with different conspiracy theories.

I wonder what would have changed in their stories if these same people had been interviewed again several years after the fact? After they had time to settle things in their own mind, to go over and over everything that happened that day, while weeding out things they didn't see or hear or experience first hand. More importantly to have possibly outgrown the "I need to repeat this and say it happened to me to make me seem more relevant to what happened" issue?

_________________
Life asked Death, "Why do people love me, but hate you?"  Death responded, "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am a painful truth."

                                                                                                                                                                                      -Unknown

My heart has been so badly broken and mended again. Stronger than ever because of its dreadful wounds that I thought it could never break again. But at the sight of his face, at the knowledge that he was taking his leave forever, beyond death, it shattered.
                                                                                                                                                                                -Jeanne Kalogridis

I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other.
           -Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Chatroom Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 3637
Contribution Points : 46549
Join date : 2017-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Witnesses re-interviewed?   Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:31 am

Great question. I don’t know if Yumeko is still around, it would be interesting to see what her opinion would be.

Also when I went to the speaker series in Denver I got the vibe that people were finding out new information even up to a year ago. Something about Sue’s comment when she said Nate told her about the guns and how Dylan was afraid that Eric would hurt him if anyone found out. She said that was new info. The interviewer didn’t really follow up on it though.

Plus there’s less pressure to build a narrative so they might be able to speak more freely. There may be less emotion as well. Most of the interviews took place pretty soon after correct?

_________________
"And you know, you know, you know, this can be beautiful, you say you're numb inside, but I can't agree. So the world's unfair, keep it locked out there. In here it's beautiful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 5091
Contribution Points : 49088
Join date : 2017-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Witnesses re-interviewed?   Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:57 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Great question. I don’t know if Yumeko is still around, it would be interesting to see what her opinion would be.

Also when I went to the speaker series in Denver I got the vibe that people were finding out new information even up to a year ago. Something about Sue’s  comment when she said Nate told her about the guns and how Dylan was afraid that Eric would hurt him if anyone found out. She said that was new info.  The interviewer didn’t really follow up on it though.

Plus there’s less pressure to build a narrative so they might be able to speak more freely. There may be less emotion as well. Most of the interviews took place pretty soon after correct?

I think the interviews were done quickly afterwards, or as fast as JeffCo could manage them. I also wonder if the fact SO many people had to be interviewed if they were rushed through for the most part? scratch

Also it sucks that the interviewer didn't follow up on that!

_________________
Life asked Death, "Why do people love me, but hate you?"  Death responded, "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am a painful truth."

                                                                                                                                                                                      -Unknown

My heart has been so badly broken and mended again. Stronger than ever because of its dreadful wounds that I thought it could never break again. But at the sight of his face, at the knowledge that he was taking his leave forever, beyond death, it shattered.
                                                                                                                                                                                -Jeanne Kalogridis

I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other.
           -Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 2033
Contribution Points : 28812
Join date : 2016-03-02
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: Witnesses re-interviewed?   Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:19 am

While I think a lot of the interviews could be better, I think a ton would be horrible. Over the years facts and memories are clouded. People hear other interviews, learn the facts of what happened and their narratives change.

I think quite a few would have very different interviews years after the fact and I don't think all would be more accurate

_________________
Hold me now I need to feel complete
Like I matter to the one I need
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 5091
Contribution Points : 49088
Join date : 2017-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Witnesses re-interviewed?   Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:22 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
While I think a lot of the interviews could be better, I think a ton would be horrible.  Over the years facts and memories are clouded.  People hear other interviews, learn the facts of what happened and their narratives change.  

I think quite a few would have very different interviews years after the fact and I don't think all would be more accurate

Agreed, although it would still be interesting to see if and how their recollection of what happened had changed with the passage of time.

_________________
Life asked Death, "Why do people love me, but hate you?"  Death responded, "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am a painful truth."

                                                                                                                                                                                      -Unknown

My heart has been so badly broken and mended again. Stronger than ever because of its dreadful wounds that I thought it could never break again. But at the sight of his face, at the knowledge that he was taking his leave forever, beyond death, it shattered.
                                                                                                                                                                                -Jeanne Kalogridis

I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other.
           -Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yumeko-chan



Posts : 146
Contribution Points : 49947
Join date : 2013-03-16
Age : 35
Location : Colorado Springs, CO

PostSubject: Re: Witnesses re-interviewed?   Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:25 pm

I'm still here.

_________________
Help with PK's final expenses. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Screamingophelia
Chatroom Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 3637
Contribution Points : 46549
Join date : 2017-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Witnesses re-interviewed?   Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:26 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I'm still here.

Hi Yumeko!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Lizpuff
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 2033
Contribution Points : 28812
Join date : 2016-03-02
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: Witnesses re-interviewed?   Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:00 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I'm still here.

I watched all of your videos on your experience and liked them very much. I have to say you don't fit the mold of the typical witness. You seem to still remember as if it was yesterda

_________________
Hold me now I need to feel complete
Like I matter to the one I need
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 5091
Contribution Points : 49088
Join date : 2017-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Witnesses re-interviewed?   Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:36 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I'm still here.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]   HI! Not sure how I missed you commenting on this. scratch I have watched your Youtube Columbine Series several times.  

If you don't mind me asking, would you say over the years the things you saw/heard have dimmed or gotten clearer? If so what has faded and what still seems vivid?

Did you ever have anything just pop into your head that you had forgotten or your mind simply buried away and think "WTH did that come from?"

Did you remember anything later on that you wish you had recalled when you were first interviewed? Or did you ever read other library survivors reports and think "That didn't happen like that" or "That was never said" etc?

We all know the huge debate with the mix up between Cassie or Val being asked about their belief in God. Is there anything else that stands out in your mind as being false to how you remember that day?

Also just wanting to say that I would completely understand if you don't respond.  Smile

_________________
Life asked Death, "Why do people love me, but hate you?"  Death responded, "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am a painful truth."

                                                                                                                                                                                      -Unknown

My heart has been so badly broken and mended again. Stronger than ever because of its dreadful wounds that I thought it could never break again. But at the sight of his face, at the knowledge that he was taking his leave forever, beyond death, it shattered.
                                                                                                                                                                                -Jeanne Kalogridis

I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other.
           -Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tracy



Posts : 23
Contribution Points : 8559
Join date : 2017-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Witnesses re-interviewed?   Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:51 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:


Plus there’s less pressure to build a narrative so they might be able to speak more freely.
False narratives were constructed fairly quickly from motives to the actual victims. Later interviews would've simply reinforced those narratives.

It's better to get as much info as possible soon after the crime.

Look at what happened with Rachel. She was essentially turned into a person that never existed, and it sticks to this day. The Cassie narrative died down a lot over the years but that narrative was almost as bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JP



Posts : 117
Contribution Points : 8475
Join date : 2018-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Witnesses re-interviewed?   Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:40 am

she has already said what she saw and why she was posting
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowedGoddess
Top 10 Contributor
avatar

Posts : 5091
Contribution Points : 49088
Join date : 2017-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Witnesses re-interviewed?   Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:40 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
she has already said what she saw and why she was posting


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  Eh? Was this directed towards me or just another of your one liners? scratch

Either way, I am well aware Amanda has recalled the events she lived through countless times over the past 19 years. I am also aware she was likely just saying that she was indeed still around.  

I was simply going out on a limb in small hopes she would like to answer the questions I posted.

_________________
Life asked Death, "Why do people love me, but hate you?"  Death responded, "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am a painful truth."

                                                                                                                                                                                      -Unknown

My heart has been so badly broken and mended again. Stronger than ever because of its dreadful wounds that I thought it could never break again. But at the sight of his face, at the knowledge that he was taking his leave forever, beyond death, it shattered.
                                                                                                                                                                                -Jeanne Kalogridis

I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other.
           -Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Witnesses re-interviewed?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum :: Thoughts on the Shooting-
Jump to: