Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Columbine High School Massacre Discussion Forum

A place to discuss the Columbine High School Massacre along with other school shootings and crimes.
Anyone interested in researching, learning, discussing and debating with us, please come join our community!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?

Go down 
+8
dusk
1Mare1
Lunkhead McGrath
munchkinphone
Screamingophelia
Jea
Stoned Slacker
04daviszoe
12 posters
AuthorMessage
04daviszoe
Banned

Contribution Points : 78395
Forum Reputation : 3

Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Empty
PostSubject: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 8:00 am

I would be interested to know everyone's thoughts on this topic. It seems most people have one they prefer to research over the other, which make sense as although they both have their similarities, they are also two different kinds of people. Specifically, I want to focus rather on fans who would rather spend their time making cringy edits of them and things like that. I'd like to clarify that I'm not referring to *all* fans..Rolling Eyes

I'll start with Eric. It seems apparent to me that Eric, although has a decent share of fan girls, has aquired quite a group of edgy fan boys. These are the kinds of people who on their blogs, in block capitals, header's states "I CONDONE". They have Eric-like hate lists and their own pathetic rants about society. Usually own a Natural Selection shirt or two (or even three, I'm looking at you, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) and using the phrase "fucker should be shot" and every given chance.

Dylan fans on the other hand apparently never condone. I've noticed Dylan is incredibly 'romanticised'. For someone who I think was far colder than Eric, I.e, taking digs and his own Mother, purposely using a girl he knew had a crush on for his own gain. I've noticed a lacking of fan boys on the Dylan side. I'm assuming Dylan's attempts at poetry are not edgy enough to accumulate fan boys. In terms of physical appearance it's worth noting Dylan's style is different to Eric's, having grew his hair out, piercing his own ear, wearing the same jewellery everyday. I feel Dylan's fans are the ones who would attempt to contact "him" via a Ouija Board, possibly because of Dylan's 'spiritual' side.

I'm probably missing out tons. In my opinion, it comes down to how one would perceive them to be and also how they are portrayed in mainstream media. I'll admit that it facinates me to see how differently both can be perceived from another's point of view.
Back to top Go down
Stoned Slacker

Stoned Slacker

Contribution Points : 57404
Forum Reputation : 15

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 8:26 am

I think it's because Dylan was more of a chad
Back to top Go down
Jea

Jea

Contribution Points : 57542
Forum Reputation : 10

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 8:45 am

Yesterday on facebook discussion page was a girl which used a Ouija Board and contacted with Dylan's spirit. That as funny and creepy at the same time.

And I see that Dylan's fan girls are more aggressive to other people opinion, they idolizing him and and take all about him very personal.
I think it's because in theirs illusions Dylan is a lonely lost boy, who searched for love and truly happiness, but couldn't find it, and if they were near him they could save him. But it's very wrong vision of Dylan's personality.

Screamingophelia
Other Crimes Moderator & Top 10 Contributor
Screamingophelia

Contribution Points : 192899
Forum Reputation : 1317

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 8:59 am

I was more drawn to learning about Eric back when Columbine first happened. I think because there was more info on him and he was treated like the leader, where as Dylan kind of came out of nowhere. The media and a lot of interviews focused on Eric only. Even some things I attributed to Eric were actually written and said by Dylan.

There is such an abundance of information about Dylan right now, so some of the more soft hearted gals can kind of relate to him. Though if they just read AMR and his journals they get a sort of a more romanticized version of Dylan and bypass his anger and stuff.

Where as if someone just focuses on Eric's rants and anger, you get a really simple version of that. You never see anyone say "Eric was SO cool in Eric in Columbine, did you see the bad ass way he twirled that cell phone, AWESOME"

Banned

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 9:05 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
I was more drawn to learning about Eric back when Columbine first happened. I think because there was more info on him and he was treated like the leader, where as Dylan kind of came out of nowhere. The media and a lot of interviews focused on Eric only. Even some things I attributed to Eric were actually written and said by Dylan.

There is such an abundance of information about Dylan right now, so some of the more soft hearted gals can kind of relate to him. Though if they just read AMR and his journals they get a sort of a more romanticized version of Dylan and bypass his anger and stuff.

Where as if someone just focuses on Eric's rants and anger, you get a really simple version of that. You never see anyone say "Eric was SO cool in Eric in Columbine, did you see the bad ass way he twirled that cell phone, AWESOME"

It's true what you say about what the person chooses to focus on.

Eric side: ERIC HARRIS IS GOD.
Dylan side: Dylan is the God of Sadness.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 9:44 am

Screamingophelia wrote:

WHEEEEE! Haha

Last edited by ShadowedGoddess on Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
munchkinphone

Contribution Points : 63089
Forum Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 9:55 am

I think people who are angry like Eric and people who are sad like Dylan.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 10:05 am

I don't think they realize that Dylan is the one that started talking about being "godlike" to begin with and also said "what would jesus do, what would I do?" Not Eric. Also Dylan's 7 pages in Eric's yearbook. NO, just hearts and sadness from Dylan. JUST HEARTS AND SAD.

Contribution Points : 63089

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 10:14 am

I feel like there's also a tendency for extroverts to like Eric more than Dylan. Correct me if I'm wrong, it's just something I've picked up.

I wonder why because while Eric might have been a bit more explosive in his temper or whatever Dylan was more socially capable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 10:37 am

eric was an edgelord and all of his fans are either creepy girls with body pillows or edgy 14 year old boys who write stupid rants about stupid stuff they dont even experience.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 11:07 am

munchkinphone wrote:
I feel like there's also a tendency for extroverts to like Eric more than Dylan. Correct me if I'm wrong, it's just something I've picked up.

I wonder why because while Eric might have been a bit more explosive in his temper or whatever Dylan was more socially capable.

I agree. For someone so shy Dylan had friends, seemingly had more girls (supposedly he went on dates with a girl that April then took Robyn to the prom) and was well liked. Dylan seemed to be able to reign Eric in and made sure he was included.
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 9:05 pm

So we know a little bit about the letters and what not that the Klebolds get. In Far From the Tree I believe Tom Klebold seemed amused that Dylan had "groupies" I bet they get everything from kind letters to "your son was gorgeous I wish you could be my mother in law!!!!" If I remember correctly Sue said many of the letters disturb her more than hate mail. I could be wrong, it has been a while since I read AMR. I have my own personal experience with her from when I was 17, if you want to hear about it you can PM me....This was a long time ago. She was very kind to me but her words in the book stick out to me. When I met her last year I didn't say anything of course. Another time and I'm a different person.

I can't help but wonder what kind of things the Harris's and even Kevin get? Also I wonder how they react to it. Tom seems to take it in stride.

Banned

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2018 6:53 am

Screamingophelia wrote:
So we know a little bit about the letters and what not that the Klebolds get. In Far From the Tree I believe Tom Klebold seemed amused that Dylan had "groupies" I bet they get everything from kind letters to "your son was gorgeous I wish you could be my mother in law!!!!" If I remember correctly Sue said many of the letters disturb her more than hate mail. I could be wrong, it has been a while since I read AMR. I have my own personal experience with her from when I was 17, if you want to hear about it you can PM me....This was a long time ago. She was very kind to me but her words in the book stick out to me. When I met her last year I didn't say anything of course. Another time and I'm a different person.

I can't help but wonder what kind of things the Harris's and even Kevin get? Also I wonder how they react to it. Tom seems to take it in stride.

...Pm'd you What a Face
Back to top Go down
Lunkhead McGrath

Contribution Points : 75386
Forum Reputation : 225

PostSubject: dyl dyl   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2018 2:12 pm

[quote="ShadowedGoddess"]
Screamingophelia wrote:

Well that and they'd have to sit through the excruciatingly boring Eric In Columbine in order to see that. Or they could skip to that part I guess.

Dylan fans include a lot of well-meaning girls who wish they could have "saved" him. One fan fiction I found once was about some girl who wrote the fanfic, and in it she takes Dyldo to prom and f*cks him in the back seat of the limo and saves his heart and he's so happy and in love that when NBK rolls around our precious Dyl-dyl just blows that poor son of a bitch Eric's head off. Everyone lives happily ever after. No I did not save a copy of this fanfic but it was out there (it wasn't very long) and gawd was it embarrassing.

It's been said though, that those well-meaning girls who wish they could save Dylan, or whoever, are at least displaying that they have hearts by doing so and it's probably just a phase they're going through. We can only hope, considering how unfortunately influential Columbine was.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2018 2:25 pm

Lunkhead McGrath wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:

Well that and they'd have to sit through the excruciatingly boring Eric In Columbine in order to see that.  Or they could skip to that part I guess.  

Dylan fans include a lot of well-meaning girls who wish they could have "saved" him.  One fan fiction I found once was about some girl who wrote the fanfic, and in it she takes Dyldo to prom and f*cks him in the back seat of the limo and saves his heart and he's so happy and in love that when NBK rolls around our precious Dyl-dyl just blows that poor son of a bitch Eric's head off.  Everyone lives happily ever after.  No I did not save a copy of this fanfic but it was out there (it wasn't very long) and gawd was it embarrassing.  

It's been said though, that those well-meaning girls who wish they could save Dylan, or whoever, are at least displaying that they have hearts by doing so and it's probably just a phase they're going through.  We can only hope, considering how unfortunately influential Columbine was.  

I think we have all come across the different variations of Columbine fan-girls. Some are mild with the "Well I think they were cute, so I would have given them a chance" attitude, all the way down to the completely obsessed/delusional ones that want to commit suicide because they are certain that Eric or Dylan is waiting for them with open arms on the other side. Shocked Suspect

The last type are the ones that scare me, and make me wonder how truly screwed up someone has to be mentally to even think such things. No
Back to top Go down
Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2018 3:01 pm

ShadowedGoddess wrote:
Lunkhead McGrath wrote:
Screamingophelia wrote:

Well that and they'd have to sit through the excruciatingly boring Eric In Columbine in order to see that.  Or they could skip to that part I guess.  

Dylan fans include a lot of well-meaning girls who wish they could have "saved" him.  One fan fiction I found once was about some girl who wrote the fanfic, and in it she takes Dyldo to prom and f*cks him in the back seat of the limo and saves his heart and he's so happy and in love that when NBK rolls around our precious Dyl-dyl just blows that poor son of a bitch Eric's head off.  Everyone lives happily ever after.  No I did not save a copy of this fanfic but it was out there (it wasn't very long) and gawd was it embarrassing.  

It's been said though, that those well-meaning girls who wish they could save Dylan, or whoever, are at least displaying that they have hearts by doing so and it's probably just a phase they're going through.  We can only hope, considering how unfortunately influential Columbine was.  

I think we have all come across the different variations of Columbine fan-girls. Some are mild with the "Well I think they were cute, so I would have given them a chance" attitude, all the way down to the completely obsessed/delusional ones that want to commit suicide because they are certain that Eric or Dylan is waiting for them with open arms on the other side. Shocked Suspect

The last type are the ones that scare me, and make me wonder how truly screwed up someone has to be mentally to even think such things. No

I’m someone who doesn’t 100% assume Robyn didn’t give Dylan something on prom night... like she’d admit in public that she did. There’s maybe a 5% chance she did..

I read a fic where Dylan did get a GF, lost his virginity and he still did NBK and she died in the library.

They always wanna be in the damn library.

I get morbidly curious sometimes and the ”characters” are usually stock. Mary Sue new girl, Eric and Dylan are miraculously outgoing and friendly but bullied, Robyn is usually a jealous bitch. Bonus points if the Mary Sue character is besties with Rachel and Cassie...
Back to top Go down
1Mare1

1Mare1

Contribution Points : 60819

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 6:25 am

Majority of the fanbase was influenced by Cullenbine, of course they are going to idolize Dylan. Laughing
Back to top Go down
dusk

dusk

Contribution Points : 56346

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Lol “Cullenbine” Very Happy
Great post OP. Although I personally don’t think Dylan was “colder” than Eric, just better at hiding his anger.

But at the same time, yes it’s easy to romanticize him. Especially if you’ve only read his journals. I’m male (straight, mind you) and I spend more time researching him than Eric, although I find both of them interesting. His poetry does strike a chord with me, as does his yearning for whatever girl that was. It’s easy to see him as someone who was driven to rage because he didn’t have romance/love in his life. Still though, he seems like he had a lot of friends, which breaks that narrative a bit. That part is still weird to me...no way he could have been that much of an outcast. He went to friends’ houses all of the time from what I’ve heard, which is much more than what I did in high school.

I think Eric fanboys/girls are drawn to his tough-guy, “this is how it is so deal with it” attitude. Dylan fangirls are probably mostly drawn to the romanticized version of him, and I agree that it’s harder to find guys who research him more. But the fact that either of them have “fanboys/girls” is pretty disturbing when you think about it. Even if most of them are never going to act out. A mass murder shouldn’t have a “fanbase” at all.
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119628
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 12:24 am

1Mare1 wrote:
Majority of the fanbase was influenced by Cullenbine,

The few times I've glanced at Tumblr's Columbiners I've seen them hold nothing but hate for Cullen and his book.

1Mare1

1Mare1

Contribution Points : 60819

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 5:51 pm

QuestionMark wrote:
1Mare1 wrote:

The few times I've glanced at Tumblr's Columbiners I've seen them hold nothing but hate for Cullen and his book.

Which is hypocritical considering the fact that they implement his exact statement about Dylan.
Back to top Go down
W.A.R.

Contribution Points : 69573
Forum Reputation : 345

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 7:21 pm

1Mare1 wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
1Mare1 wrote:

Which is hypocritical considering the fact that they implement his exact statement about Dylan.

I think its safe to say they aren't the most logical group of people Haha
Back to top Go down
QuestionMark
Top 10 Contributor
QuestionMark

Contribution Points : 119628
Forum Reputation : 3191

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 7:36 pm

1Mare1 wrote:
QuestionMark wrote:
1Mare1 wrote:

Really they hate it because it doesn't turn Eric into a sympathetic figure as well.

Lizpuff

Lizpuff

Contribution Points : 95424
Forum Reputation : 1190

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 8:40 am

I go back and forth. Both boys to me have something that interests me. Parts of their personality that are just still so grey that there are still things to wonder about.

I do find it interesting that of the school shooters, attempted shooters, and really just any teenage criminal that cites Columbine as an inspiration, most of them talk about relating to Eric not to Dylan. They read his journal and they believe the hype that he was so angry at the world while Dylan was just sad.

Screamingophelia
Screamingophelia

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 11:20 pm

Lizpuff wrote:
I go back and forth.  Both boys to me have something that interests me.  Parts of their personality that are just still so grey that there are still things to wonder about.

I do find it interesting that of the school shooters, attempted shooters, and really just any teenage criminal that cites Columbine as an inspiration, most of them talk about relating to Eric not to Dylan.  They read his journal and they believe the hype that he was so angry at the world while Dylan was just sad.  

I think there is more information on Eric and Dylan too. If someone wants to learn about them they really can and easily debunk a lot of the popular opinions.

I think they're both pretty interesting. My interest when I was young started because IthoughtEricwasveryhot Embarassed

I agree with Lizpuff though, they're dynamic and the boys themselves are really interesting. All the things we would learn too if the BT ever surfaced.

Maybe Dylan being depressed and sad made it safe for Eric to be vulnerable with someone and in turn Eric's anger helped Dylan get in touch with his own?
Back to top Go down
Okay-Okay

Okay-Okay

Contribution Points : 54553

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2018 5:48 pm

dusk wrote:
Lol “Cullenbine” Very Happy
Great post OP. Although I personally don’t think Dylan was “colder” than Eric, just better at hiding his anger.

But at the same time, yes it’s easy to romanticize him. Especially if you’ve only read his journals. I’m male (straight, mind you) and I spend more time researching him than Eric, although I find both of them interesting. His poetry does strike a chord with me, as does his yearning for whatever girl that was. It’s easy to see him as someone who was driven to rage because he didn’t have romance/love in his life. Still though, he seems like he had a lot of friends, which breaks that narrative a bit. That part is still weird to me...no way he could have been that much of an outcast. He went to friends’ houses all of the time from what I’ve heard, which is much more than what I did in high school.

I think Eric fanboys/girls are drawn to his tough-guy, “this is how it is so deal with it” attitude. Dylan fangirls are probably mostly drawn to the romanticized version of him, and I agree that it’s harder to find guys who research him more. But the fact that either of them have “fanboys/girls” is pretty disturbing when you think about it. Even if most of them are never going to act out. A mass murder shouldn’t have a “fanbase” at all.

I definitely agree with your first statement, Dylan (from my research/speculation) seemed to be better at hiding his true feeling from those around him. the people who actually "idolize" the two seem to always avoid the real Eric and Dylan and only focus on their romanticism of both. I find it so crazy how some people treat the two of them as movie characters rather than real people.

PostSubject: Re: Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?   Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eric 'fans' VS Dylan 'fans' Is there a difference?
Page 1 of 1